Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What strengths would those be? Kingkiller is poo poo; it's basically Rothfuss alternately failing to do Le Guin and Wolfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i dunno what that means since i don't read books without blade-armed velociraptors but i'm interested in hearing more about it

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Somebody else said it first, but the Kingkiller books are a thousand times more bearable if you picture the main character as Zapp Brannigan.

They still aren't good.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Forge of Darkness thoughts:

Ivis is the best.
No, Haut is the best.
Wait, no, the brothers Purake are the best

Erikson's humour is much subtler in Karkhanas, and I really like it. Kruppe and Tehol are always funny, but they felt a bit try-hard, Kharkanas is much more self assured and it's much funnier because it's not trying to draw your attention to it.

I also like how he paints the Tiste as stagnating without resorting to some dodgy rambling about weakness and decadence. I especially like the contrast in social hierarchy and customs compared to MT. The Edur have just as strict customs and decorum as the Tiste, but they're still able to express friendship and compassion through it. The Tiste are only able to so by completely abandoning protocol to speak as equals - I'm thinking of Urusander and Kadaspala, Sand and her maid, Tulas and Ankhadu. All of them have to throw rank out the window in order to have a human connection.

Erikson's good y'all.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Kingkiller is decent but overrated. The first book has some good bits but also plenty of places where you could see it was someone's first book. The second one builds more on Rothfuss' weaknesses than strengths. The third one looks like it will never be written at this point, since Rothfuss seems more interested in being a Celebrity Author than in publishing books.

Kingkiller went to poo poo halfway into the book when it becomes Harry Potter.
I liked the initial premise of a band of evil immortals keeping their existence hidden, and the idea of the protagonist being this mighty hero who had retired and that the story told of how that happened.
Then it became a worse version of Harry Potter without the charm. And the second book was just a load of nothing.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Just randomly found this thread. I actually finished the Book of the Fallen series a few months back, powering through 5-6 of them last year when surgery had me bedridden for a little over a month.

I'm still not sure what I think of Erikson's writing... On the one hand, he can make high fantasy feel incredibly epic without getting bogged down in technical fantasy details as to how the warrens work (i.e.: think the One Power in Wheel of Time). But sometimes it just feels a little too... hand wavey, I guess? There's also the fact that so many seemingly important characters seem like they'd stay relevant later in the series but don't actually show up again. Coltaine! :smith:

That said, my favourite by far has to have been Deadhouse Gates, because the events of the Chain of Dogs were so tragic and compelling at the same time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jan posted:

Just randomly found this thread. I actually finished the Book of the Fallen series a few months back, powering through 5-6 of them last year when surgery had me bedridden for a little over a month.

I'm still not sure what I think of Erikson's writing... On the one hand, he can make high fantasy feel incredibly epic without getting bogged down in technical fantasy details as to how the warrens work (i.e.: think the One Power in Wheel of Time). But sometimes it just feels a little too... hand wavey, I guess? There's also the fact that so many seemingly important characters seem like they'd stay relevant later in the series but don't actually show up again. Coltaine! :smith:

That said, my favourite by far has to have been Deadhouse Gates, because the events of the Chain of Dogs were so tragic and compelling at the same time.

Coltaine reappears in the ICE books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Coltaine reappears in the ICE books.
And you'll wish he didn't.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Forge of Darkness thoughts:
Finally someone else who appreciates the Kharkanas books. Screw Karsa, there's a great story that won't ever be finished now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sad they never made a limited edition Fall of Light to go with Forge. I doubt there'll be one for the final book in however many years either. Oh well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

And you'll wish he didn't.
Finally someone else who appreciates the Kharkanas books. Screw Karsa, there's a great story that won't ever be finished now.

As much as I love the Tiste and Azathanai plots, Olar Ethil can gently caress right off (to a lesser extent so can the sisters of shadow). There's developing mysteries, and then there's contradictions for the sake of contradictions.

I get that the myths of the Tiste have been garbled over time (specifically, all the Light Vs Darkness stuff from Anomander's speech in GotM, and Feather Witches tile casting actually predates Mother Dark, that's really cool) but a lot of feels like either a retcon or gratuitous convolution.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

anilEhilated posted:

Kingkiller is poo poo; it's basically Rothfuss alternately failing to do Le Guin and Wolfe.

It sounds like he's succeeding.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I have read the entire series and prequel books twice and I just found out I was pronouncing Malazan wrong the entire time. Sadness.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Lotta love for Kingkiller in here then. :cheeky:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Feather Witches tile casting actually predates Mother Dark, that's really cool)

Can this be elaborated on without spoilers past the end of Toll the Hounds, because I'm curious? Her tile castings in Midnight Tides happen before the whole Mother Dark/Andii rift - I know MT happens before the main story but that doesn't sound right?

dishwasherlove posted:

I have read the entire series and prequel books twice and I just found out I was pronouncing Malazan wrong the entire time. Sadness.

What's the correct way? I pronounce it with the emphasis on the first syllable.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The correct way is what ever sounds right to you!

But if I remember right Erikson pronounces it like muh-lah-zin.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The only good bit in Kingkiller is when our hero is trying to show up the school bully and almost freezes his own blood. The rest is a load of smug "I didn't fight a dragon, I fought a giant firebreathing lizard" nonsense.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Lotta love for Kingkiller in here then. :cheeky:

Can this be elaborated on without spoilers past the end of Toll the Hounds, because I'm curious? Her tile castings in Midnight Tides happen before the whole Mother Dark/Andii rift - I know MT happens before the main story but that doesn't sound right?

Oh I meant the stuff she describes in her readings. All that portentous "and light was born and made the dark sad as planets were cast to the earth" stuff.

Mild Kharkanas spoilers
It echoes Mandy's monologue to the demon at the end of GotM, and doesn't seem to fit with Kharkanas showing Mother Dark arising at the same time as proto-Imass and Jaghut (i.e. after the universe was made). But there's a few offhand comments about what pre-Mother Dark scholars think about the creation of the universe, and how Dark warred against Chaos long before Mother Dark came along. Rather than being the source of the Andii myths, Mother Dark just co-opts them to assert her own divinity.

apophenium posted:

The correct way is what ever sounds right to you!

But if I remember right Erikson pronounces it like muh-lah-zin.

The hard part is resisting the urge to say ma-la-ZAHN, with a very fantasy sounding emphasis on it as three syllables. But given they're from Malaz you're meant to squash the last syllable, like how it's Englund, Germun, not Eng-Land, Germ-Man.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Hell yeah #TeamKharkanas, gently caress the haters.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oh I meant the stuff she describes in her readings. All that portentous "and light was born and made the dark sad as planets were cast to the earth" stuff.

Oh right, thanks.

quote:

The hard part is resisting the urge to say ma-la-ZAHN, with a very fantasy sounding emphasis on it as three syllables. But given they're from Malaz you're meant to squash the last syllable, like how it's Englund, Germun, not Eng-Land, Germ-Man.

I'm English, so my inclination is to pronounce it ma-la-ZANN, but as I said before with emphasis on the first syllable. Never really thought it might be wrong, even when wondering how other people pronounce things like Tiste Andii (in my head it's tis-teh an-dee-eye, like the Roman triarii).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Oh right, thanks.

I'm English, so my inclination is to pronounce it ma-la-ZANN, but as I said before with emphasis on the first syllable. Never really thought it might be wrong, even when wondering how other people pronounce things like Tiste Andii (in my head it's tis-teh an-dee-eye, like the Roman triarii).

It rhymes with Twisty Andy and I won't hear otherwise!

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Before I started reading it was MAL-uh-zann, after I started reading and discovered it was an adjective I figured it was probably Muh-LAZ-in but that sounds dumb so I never stopped saying it the wrong way.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Finished the main series and after a malazan break I'll be going into the other ones. What's everyone's rec to start. I know crimson guard is generally frowned upon.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It rhymes with Twisty Andy and I won't hear otherwise!

Let us fight.

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Before I started reading it was MAL-uh-zann, after I started reading and discovered it was an adjective I figured it was probably Muh-LAZ-in but that sounds dumb so I never stopped saying it the wrong way.

Isn't it both? Sure I've heard reference to "Malazans" on various occasions.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah it's used just like American / Americans.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Finished the main series and after a malazan break I'll be going into the other ones. What's everyone's rec to start. I know crimson guard is generally frowned upon.
Kharkanas/Necromancers are all good stuff; with ICE, skip Night Of Knives and read from Return of the Crimson Guard on - and stop when you stop enjoying it, they don't really get better (personally I like Stonewielder more than RotCG but ICE peaks at that).

The new ICE trilogy about Kellanved and Dancer is pretty enjoyable; Dancer's Lament is nothing special, lacks a climax and ends on a reveal no one gives a gently caress about but the the second book is pretty good.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Kharkanas, imo. It's really good with the main series fresh in your memory.

Also, they're really good and all the haters are wrong.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I put the emphasis on the ZARN!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Man with Hat posted:

Kharkanas, imo. It's really good with the main series fresh in your memory.

Also, they're really good and all the haters are wrong.
I'm ashamed to say I burnt out between FoD and FoL after 11 books and it's been too long for me to just jump back in without re-reading FoD, but I thought it was easily the best written of the series, even if I liked others in the series more. Erikson writes family stuff really well in it. It reminded me of War and Peace in that sense.

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

I just finished the 2 new ICE books, and yeah they really are a big jump in quality... except I wish he didn't feel the need to make every single new character someone we've met before... like why can't there just be people living 100+ years ago who aren't around anymore at the time of the Erikson books? It becomes super distracting every time someone is introduced trying to figure out who they will wind up becoming later when every scene is like:

quote:

Dancer bit into the pie with a murmur of satisfaction. "Mmmm," he said, "you could wind up ruling an empire with pies like these!"

"See, Korbolo Dom? I told you," said the baker's boy.

"Better keep baking, Mallick Rel," grumbled the lad's friend. Another boy near them laughed, and Korbolo Dom cried out "Shut up, gardener's boy! Shouldn't you be cutting someone's hedges? You cut so many hedges they should call you Hedge!"

"I won't say a bad word," replied the lad, "because my mother said I shouldn't be a cusser! Isn't that right, Icky?"

"Hmm," rumbled the fellow's best friend, a huge lad who, some whispered, looked kind of like a Jhag. "I don't remember."

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Kharkanas/Necromancers are all good stuff; with ICE, skip Night Of Knives and read from Return of the Crimson Guard on - and stop when you stop enjoying it, they don't really get better (personally I like Stonewielder more than RotCG but ICE peaks at that).

The new ICE trilogy about Kellanved and Dancer is pretty enjoyable; Dancer's Lament is nothing special, lacks a climax and ends on a reveal no one gives a gently caress about but the the second book is pretty good.

Night of Knives could have been awesome if it had properly embraced the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, instead of the lame faffing about we actually got.

Stone wielder also seems to lack an ending, which is bloody annoying.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing Skyrim with a bunch of dumb mods installed and happened across a thing that made me smile:

(yes I looked it up and it is... A Motherfuckin Reference!!!)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Updated list of who is the best (Kharkanas edition):
Gripp Galas
Hish Tulla
Kellaras
Grizzen 'Fuckin' Farl

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Re-reading Reaper's Gale and got to the bit where we meet Clip.
Sitting on the train, I emit an audible sigh of disappointment.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just finished my two year listen of the series on audiobook and I have a question.

What was that in the last book about Quick Ben’s suddenly having a connection to Mother Dark and whomever Ruthan Gudd is. I mean, it makes sense given how cagey he was around Rake. Did they ever say whether one of the souls he collected in Raraku was Andii?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The true nature of those two people you mentioned is surrounded by loads of convoluted speculation. So the only answer I can give you is "Maybe"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just finished my two year listen of the series on audiobook and I have a question.

What was that in the last book about Quick Ben’s suddenly having a connection to Mother Dark and whomever Ruthan Gudd is. I mean, it makes sense given how cagey he was around Rake. Did they ever say whether one of the souls he collected in Raraku was Andii?

It's not explicitly stated that it's Mother Dark, just that he calls "Mother" out and she's the only one mentioned in those sort of tones throughout the series. Comedy answer: he's talking to Minala (I think the only other character explicitly referred to as 'Mother') for some reason.
On the second point, Ruthan Gudd implies that both he and Quick Ben made some sort of deal with ascendants/gods, which is how they got their powers (although Ben's sister's flashbacks suggest he was pretty powerful even as a pre-teen).
And yes, it's mentioned/referred to a few times that one of Ben's souls is Tiste Andii, but I don't think there are any more details given than that; in fact, I just checked Chapter 8 of Memories of Ice (where the story of how Ben joined the Bridgeburners is found) and there's nothing concrete there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are the stormchasers or w/e fleshed out in any supplementary novels yet?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Are the stormchasers or w/e fleshed out in any supplementary novels yet?

Nope. They appear and are "antagonists", but have no clue as to why.

On Ruthan Gudd He has a connection to Greymane and the stormrider that is never explained.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
i like Grub as a character. the idea that feelings, sorrow, etc turn into an actual person is very interesting. And Grub going on to be First Sword $$$$$

From House of Chains. "It was said the captain's adopted child - who at that time was known by the unfortunate name of Grub - refused the wagon on the march. That he walked the entire way, even as, in the first week beneath the year's hottest sun, fit and hale soldiers stumbled and fell.

This is perhaps invention, for by all accounts he was at that time no more than five years of age. And the captain himself, from whose journals much of that journey and the clash in which it culminated is related in detail, writes very little of Grub, more concerned as he was with the rigours of command. As a result, of the future First Sword of the Late Empire period, scant details, beyond the legendary and probably fictitious, are known."
―Lives of the Three
Moragalle

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Found this link in the Malazan discord that I thought might be helpful

http://searchofthefallen.com/#!/

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

dishwasherlove posted:

Found this link in the Malazan discord that I thought might be helpful

http://searchofthefallen.com/#!/

this is the best site ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CoolHandMat posted:

this is the best site ever.

The word "gently caress" doesn't appear until Midnight Tides, and is used more times in Crippled God than the rest of the series combined.