Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Wow even B'tak has had enough of this bullshit and is lashing out here in an extremely passive way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

"I do not like all of these uncertainties"

We know.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imagine getting so mad about a video game you actually post "eat a dick".

Imagine that.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

tuo posted:

Imagine that.

Imagine being so mad about video games that you post "I hope you get cancer" on twitter to someone about it, then you die of bowel cancer.

That is a thing that has happened very much in public.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Eat Dickizen

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/elliotgraytho/status/1051766338484490240

Seeing that kind of thing makes me remember how heavy SC's tech debt is.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Also, how hard would it be to make the cryengine assets work on another engine ?

CIG will never do it, just wondering.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Lethality at it again.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

EightAce posted:

Tony z has been very quiet recently hasn't he ?
Still I'm sure he'll pop up at Citizen Con with it being right on his doorstep .

Did he show up?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

Imagine being so mad about video games that you post "I hope you get cancer" on twitter to someone about it, then you die of bowel cancer.

Yeah. I only followed it from the outside, because I never followed Biscuit. It only assured me in my opinion that a lot of people who put themselves in front of a camera nowadays don't actually know what they are doing and what it means. On a professional level, most of the people that do this/earn their money with this are trained. To some of the streamers it comes easily to understand what you can say and what you can't, but there are so many gold-diggers out there who are devoid of managing their opinions, it's quite sad.

Also there are the guys who get drunk on camera and try to molest their hosts, like WTFOSaurus, which strengthens my opinion that public game streamers was a bad idea.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

It's alpha.
Nothing is fixed.
We are giving them money to have creative freedom.
I'd really like Chris Roberts' vision to be implemented uncompromised by the fans suggestions and complaints.
At least they are trying.
What would it take for you to invest more money in this?
This is how game development works.

Just a few guesses on what the replies of the broken people would be like. I'm not touching their poop forum page.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beexoffel posted:

Did he show up?

Yep, and proceeded to :downswords: about dreams for 1 hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dNoUjzTVaY

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

skaboomizzy posted:

Does eating a dick give you bowel cancer?

Asking for a friend.

iron buns fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 24, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tuo posted:

Imagine that.

Could be worse, as Brendon once showed us.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

iron buns posted:

Does eating a dick give you bowel cancer?

Asking for a friend.

No, a lack of fiber and obesity appear to be markers, and it’s currently gaining new traction amongst the young.

Also, if you’re going to use that one time someone said something stupid on Twiiter as a sign of Dharma, you’re missing the forest for the trees. Twitter delenda est.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNnSqsMh_w

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eat a dick is remarkably similar to suck my oval office and we all know where that ended up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Love this. I’ve been waiting for an ‘ummm’ supercut.

Edit: ocs and bind culling caused them to rewrite most of the engine. That’s loving insane. Six months estimate to eighteen months dev is loving hilarious.

Hav fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 24, 2018

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

Imagine that.

I got so mad once I ate spotted dick.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Agony Aunt posted:

Some of the North Americans might need an explanation.
Otherwise I hate spotted dick, myself.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

This is only bad if the custard was missing. It’s too dry otherwise.

Fake edit: hellgate: london is on steam. Looks like hanbitsoft are trying once again.

Edit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/939520/HELLGATE_London/
(Cinematic does not represent gameplay. At all)

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 24, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

This is only bad if the custard was missing. It’s too dry otherwise.

Fake edit: hellgate: london is on steam. Looks like hanbitsoft are trying once again.

Edit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/939520/HELLGATE_London/
(Cinematic does not represent gameplay. At all)

The people who bought lifetime subscriptions* must be thrilled.

*:lol:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

How would a PVP slider even work? Isn't either you are in pvp mode or you're not?

That's more of a toggle, not a slider. It's not like you can choose mild pvp where it's slappers only goldeneye 64 style

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

On the halfway point of the bar you can be killed but not raped.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Carlisle posted:

How would a PVP slider even work? Isn't either you are in pvp mode or you're not?

That's more of a toggle, not a slider. It's not like you can choose mild pvp where it's slappers only goldeneye 64 style
You've already thought about this more than they have.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That works for pretty much everything Star Citizen.

If you ever find yourself asking "how will X work though?", the answer is always "no one knows".

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dogeh posted:

Some of the North Americans might need an explanation.
Otherwise I hate spotted dick, myself.

For our geographically challenged friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

That works for pretty much everything Star Citizen.

If you ever find yourself asking "how will X work though?", the answer is always "no one knows".

Except the store. They got that nailed down.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Agony Aunt posted:

For our geographically challenged friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_dick

sounds nice?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Maht_Dayman is surely a deep cover goon

will eat my own dick otherwise

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

The people who bought lifetime subscriptions* must be thrilled.

Weirdly, at the time the discussion was that you'd have to be insane to spend $122 on a game.

And here we are.

On the halfway point of the bar you can be killed but not raped.

A fate worse than death requires moving the slider all the way over. Slowly.

his nibs posted:

Maht_Dayman is surely a deep cover goon

I'm guessing that your thinking involves, "Nobody could be this stupid and live", but reality has a way of tweaking the nose of the person that underestimates the depths of human stupidity.

I prefer to think of him as performance art. Like GG Allin, but without the 'music'.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Hav posted:

Weirdly, at the time the discussion was that you'd have to be insane to spend $122 on a game.

And here we are.

Ah, but SC is not a game, so you're free to spend as much as you wish. It's all good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If Hellgate is like 10 bucks I'm gonna buy it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Wait, he send someone death threats and doxxed his home adress, the police got on his case and two weeks later he was able to buy a gun? :psyduck:
You sure got a nice country over there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandepande posted:

Ah, but SC is not a game, so you're free to spend as much as you wish. It's all good.

I switch between the world's definition of 'game' and the CiG definition of 'game' freely. It's confusing, but we won't know for certain until release if the cat is alive or dead.

If Hellgate is like 10 bucks I'm gonna buy it.

The hanbitsoft attempt last time was F2P with all of the MMO bollocks attached; if it's gone singleplayer, it'll be good for a few hours.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

I switch between the world's definition of 'game' and the CiG definition of 'game' freely. It's confusing, but we won't know for certain until release if the cat is alive or dead.

The hanbitsoft attempt last time was F2P with all of the MMO bollocks attached; if it's gone singleplayer, it'll be good for a few hours.

I liked the game, it wasn't good but it scratched a certain itch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wuxi posted:

Wait, he send someone death threats and doxxed his home adress, the police got on his case and two weeks later he was able to buy a gun? :psyduck:
You sure got a nice country over there.

Yeah, we're trying to do something about it, but the first thing that 'That Guy' did was stop mental health scenarios being a disqualifier for buying a handgun. Technically, you can be on a terrorist watch list and unable to fly, but you can still buy a gun. It's actually harder to get a form of ID in most states than it is to get a firearm. In Florida, the main response to the Parkland shooting was to allow more school resource officers (like the one that stayed outside), and allow the police to seize the weapons of people deemed a risk to themselves or others, but that's a self-reporting requirement. You can still bypass the three-day wait by hitting up the gun shows that tour the state every month or so.

And I support the second amendment, I just wish we treated guns more like cars and less like soda. But the NRA is an industry lobbying organisation and generally throws the concept of 'responsible' gun ownership in the bin, as they like to arch that 'any day now' there will be an 'armed uprising'.

And that's me on the subject. (Although there is an irony in Rick Scott signing a law that takes guns off people.)

What about them jpegs, eh?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Lord Stimperor posted:

FWIW when I wrote 'videogame exposition' I did not mean that in any negative way, although I realize how it could have been interpreted that way. What I mean is that Sanderson's writing and world seemed strongly influenced by gaming, to me. Hiw way of describing and explaining the Mistborn world seems deeply rooted in concepts and ideas that we are familiar with in games. That't not a bad thing - writing always reflects the culture from which it had to draw.

Look at 19xx science fiction. Writers in the 20th century eventually began using computers and computer metaphors to make their science fiction shows/movies/books relatable to readers. Earlier material is sometimes a bit more difficult to parse because consumers are out of touch with the imagery, cultural references, and so on used therein. That's what I meant, primarily.

Just look at what we see Vin doing. She is introduced to metals just like in a videogame tutorial, unlocks skills and abilities as quest rewards, and gobbles up upgrades and power ups during fights. She gets buffed. The way how the metals are explained must resonate with people who played action games and RPGs. The metals are laid out as interdependent on one another, with counters, combos, and stacks. It's a world that makes intuitive sense from a game mechanics perspective.

My guess is that 40 or 50 years ago, the book would have read very different. Maybe a 1974 Sanderson would have explained metals in terms of frequencies, waves, and some new age ideas. Conversely, a 1974s reader would have trouble immersing themselves as intuitively as someone from the 2010s who has all the tropes, jargon and concepts from modern gaming in their heads. Therefore I suspected that Sanderson himself must have approched his world from the perspective of a game designer/player, with lore that translated into coherent game mechanics and so on.

That's really all I meant - that I feld Mistborn was heavily influenced by gaming culture in writing and world building. I was also surprised at the time that there wasn't a Mistborn game in the making, because I could swear Sanderson wrote the design document right into the books.

I loved Sanderson's insistence on logical consistency. It just made the world so much more plausible and believable to me. It may have led to awkward writing at some point or another. But aside from making believable world, the lore of the world - history, religion, whatnot - seem much more fleshed out if they aren't built on garbage.

I have a very hard time taking any in-game lore debates of Elder Scrolls seriously, because it all seems so incoherent and haphazardly thrown together. Absolutely can't connect with that. But reading that monk dude in Mistborn trying to figure out how metals work and how they made the history of that world happen? Yeah I wanna know that.

I think it goes further back than MMOs. Larry Niven called his book "The magic goes away" logical fantasy, a fantasy world with rules for the physics of magic. Another instance is Thorarin Gunnarson's "Dragons on the town".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Meridian posted:

Is Marlin still dunking on himself super hard or just moderately hard?

self-owning pretty hard lately