Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I play these dumb games largely because I like the tactile feel of pushing models around the table and seeing units bash into each other.

What I don't need to do is pay a premium to undo someone else's garbage work. I'm by no means a pro painter, but I'm better than 99% of the poo poo I see on eBay and there's no way I'm paying a markup to fix your poo poo.

If you really don't care about the hobby aspect, fine, but why not do a chit based game instead?

I'm 100% behind the hobby aspect, and think not painting lessens the experience. However, there is still *plenty* of the experience to have using unpainted stuff. There is an endless gulf between unpainted miniatures and using chits or tokens instead. Just like there is a big difference playing chess in person with really nice physical set vs playing the same person online on ugly 2d interface. I think the 3dimensional aspect and live interactive play are more than enough for a lot of people. I'd rather have them in the hobby playing with bare plastic than kink shame them out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Suggesting people find a better hobby because they don't want to paint is very rude and exclusionary

Let people do.

My gf likes x-wing and a big part is that the models come pre-painted and assembled.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moola posted:

Suggesting people find a better hobby because they don't want to paint is very rude and exclusionary

Let people do.

My gf likes x-wing and a big part is that the models come pre-painted and assembled.

But how dare they have fun in my hobby wrong?

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I don’t care if people wanna play with unpainted models as long as it’s easy to tell their stuff apart. Get some sharpies and mark off the important stuff if painting is that repellant to you.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm still mad that Skaven never got an 8th edition book and that 9th edition didn't happen.

Not mad enough to care anymore though! Nightvault looks kinda neat.

There's a 9th edition Skaven book right here! :getin:

https://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php?beta-page/&s=c2c72c114f80857b7a3444db53e4977178410b0b

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Even if you dont like painting you can and should do a 3 color minimum. Like 2 rattle cans and a brush on metallic for weapons is pretty idiot proof.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Zenithial prime and dip in an ink, bam, done.

Which one of you little rats put poison in Ettin's ear about this thread in the first place?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Yeah, I'm a slow, bad painter and I had a painted armies only tournament earlier this month so it was white primer and a lot of ink and it turned out fine.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I was perfectly happy gaming with cardboard counters and resent the fact that I'm expected to shell out for toys to non-enhance the experience.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Zenithal rattlecan priming and washes/inks with metal on the metal bits, including basing with the magic basing mud paint, took me under 4 hours to do these 25 dudes.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Madurai posted:

I was perfectly happy gaming with cardboard counters and resent the fact that I'm expected to shell out for toys to non-enhance the experience.

Do you pay for the rulebooks, or do you resent having to "shell out" for any form of financially supporting the creators of your entertainment?

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I never paint anything except occasionally putting a base coat on with spraypaint. Except for like, 2 Malifaux crews

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I got cardboard standees with my old Battletech box set and tbh I was fine with that.

Though considering what BT had to work with back in the day getting those minis wasn't exactly a top priority.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Do you pay for the rulebooks, or do you resent having to "shell out" for any form of financially supporting the creators of your entertainment?

I love rulebooks! Especially data annexes. I keep reminding people that's how Jane's Fighting Ships got started.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Skelettin posted:

I took another look at this after several goons sent me some Good Arguments and actually I'm fine with leaving this open as a GW industry thread. Raising a thread from the grave for Halloween :spooky::drac::spooky::psydwarf::spooky::drac::spooky:

Thanks! I took one look at that other thread and saw it was like 90% memes and decided I didn't want to be there...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Let people do.

I’m arguing that it looks better to just use colored cubes anyway. You see these arguments in board games a lot cuz there’s a section of games that are just Kickstarters for minis with a game attached. The physical space looks awful since it’s just blobs of grey everywhere and the minis aren’t even needed to convey information that wooden cubes can’t already do.
EG: Rising sun

If you notice, the game already came with little rubber circles to put in the bases because they already knew that it would look like a mess on the board without painted minis.

Vs.

Plus, look how classy that looks.

Then again, I play 18xx which prizes function over form. There’s actually a good comparison here with age of steam because you can use either minis or discs:

Vs

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
even if you dislike painting, its pretty easy to do 3 color minimum, some zenithal highlighting, some nmm, mix a few custom glazes and do some wet blending, read some color theory, make a wet palette. i basically won a golden demon in about 25 minutes on my first ever mini.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If I ever played in a store I probably would have considered it. But I've played Warmachine in a store exactly once. I did prime everything beforehand but 99% of my miniature game experience has been on kitchen tables with lots of proxies so :shrug: everyone enjoys the hobby in different ways

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

GW a couple years ago showed us how it’s still possible to poison that well if you really try, but the resurgence shows how quickly it can be reactivated if you do things even half competently. Magic isn’t in a super great place right now (lots of bannings in standard a couple years ago, the pro tour is bleeding players to hearthstone and will be losing people to artifact because the money from blizzard/valve is much better), but wotc has plenty of runway to get things humming again.

I am a long-time Epic 40k player and the Adeptus Titanicus people were just completely insane and proves your point that no matter what GW does it can win people back. In the last 5 years, the Epic proxy market has gotten pretty big and you can pretty much download any of the rules for free, but the AT players wanted ONLY new GW sculpts and new rules. If you told them it was possible to make a piece from bits and green stuff there were people who would flip out at you.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I am a long-time Epic 40k player and the Adeptus Titanicus people were just completely insane and proves your point that no matter what GW does it can win people back. In the last 5 years, the Epic proxy market has gotten pretty big and you can pretty much download any of the rules for free, but the AT players wanted ONLY new GW sculpts and new rules. If you told them it was possible to make a piece from bits and green stuff there were people who would flip out at you.

Have you actually looked at the difference between any of the new models and any of GWs old epic titan kits or even the 3d printed ones? They're a million times better.

And AT isn't the same game as epic anyways.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Booley posted:

Have you actually looked at the difference between any of the new models and any of GWs old epic titan kits or even the 3d printed ones? They're a million times better.

And AT isn't the same game as epic anyways.

:ironicat:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nebalebadingdong posted:

even if you dislike painting, its pretty easy to do 3 color minimum, some zenithal highlighting, some nmm, mix a few custom glazes and do some wet blending, read some color theory, make a wet palette. i basically won a golden demon in about 25 minutes on my first ever mini.

Same but unironic.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Skelettin posted:

I took another look at this after several goons sent me some Good Arguments and actually I'm fine with leaving this open as a GW industry thread. Raising a thread from the grave for Halloween :spooky::drac::spooky::psydwarf::spooky::drac::spooky:

Here’s a good argument: suck it b*tch

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Len posted:

If I ever played in a store I probably would have considered it. But I've played Warmachine in a store exactly once. I did prime everything beforehand but 99% of my miniature game experience has been on kitchen tables with lots of proxies so :shrug: everyone enjoys the hobby in different ways

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

I’m arguing that it looks better to just use colored cubes anyway. You see these arguments in board games a lot cuz there’s a section of games that are just Kickstarters for minis with a game attached. The physical space looks awful since it’s just blobs of grey everywhere and the minis aren’t even needed to convey information that wooden cubes can’t already do.
EG: Rising sun

If you notice, the game already came with little rubber circles to put in the bases because they already knew that it would look like a mess on the board without painted minis.

Vs.

Plus, look how classy that looks.

Then again, I play 18xx which prizes function over form. There’s actually a good comparison here with age of steam because you can use either minis or discs:

Vs

PrinnySquadron posted:

I never paint anything except occasionally putting a base coat on with spraypaint. Except for like, 2 Malifaux crews

Madurai posted:

Moola posted:

Let people do.

God these quotes are extremely loving illuminating.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

People saying cubes are better than models make me sick, and should be made Coupons only.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
This reminds me I need to find some board games that I can play with my family over Xmas

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

panascope posted:

People saying cubes are better than models make me sick, and should be made Coupons only.

Cubes are fine, but a pretty key component of most tabletop games is that building and painting the models is supposed to be an enjoyable part of the experience that you’re paying for. It’s like, the main reason a lot of tabletop games need something as abstract as tape measures or movement tools instead of just having a hex grid or something. It’s supposed to be fun to look at and gameplay is deliberately weakened to accommodate things looking cool.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cubes are good, minis are bad. Paint the minis if you want but they’re not gonna tell you a unit is XI motorized division, 2-5, with a 1-3 flipped side if they aren’t supplied. Blocks having 4 sides to denote weaker/stronger units owns.

if you can’t imagine those blocks representing abstract divisions or army groups, that’s on you not the blocks

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Man, imagine the degree of self-ownage involved in spending money on a tabletop minis game, leaving it all in grey plastic, then spending months and/or years whining on message boards that the rules aren’t as tight as board games.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think some eurogame where cubes abstract tanks and games where the tanks are lovingly detailed models you are expected to paint are both valid, but very different hobbies. Ideally for the "no painting" crowd you have a retail model like Dust where you can buy premium pre-painted versions of the kits, but that's more of a boutique game and GW operates at such a scale to make that impractical.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ya that’d be pretty funny, playing deliberately weaker games because they look cool

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Man, imagine the degree of self-ownage involved in spending money on a tabletop minis game, leaving it all in grey plastic, then spending months and/or years whining on message boards that the rules aren’t as tight as board games.

i like painting and assembling just fine but im not hoighty toighty rear end in a top hat about it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mango sentinel posted:

I think some eurogame where cubes abstract tanks and games where the tanks are lovingly detailed models you are expected to paint are both valid, but very different hobbies. Ideally for the "no painting" crowd you have a retail model like Dust where you can buy premium pre-painted versions of the kits, but that's more of a boutique game and GW operates at such a scale to make that impractical.

That goes back to the usual criticisms of wanting games to be what they aren’t. If the 40k people wanted that much heavy artillery like you’d see in those funny pics where titans are 2 feet away from each other, they should be playing divisional or operational level wargames.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
As long as I can tell what poo poo actually is on the table, I am largely ambivalent about whether or how well it's painted.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy the painting aspect of the hobby. I'm a software developer who works with complicated multi-dimensional algorithms and parallel programming all day at work. By the time I get home, the amount of my brain that I want to actively use is approximately zero. I could sit around and watch brainless TV (and sometimes I do), but I've found that for me, painting/modeling occupies that sweet spot where I am engaged and doing something, but it's not mentally taxing. It requires concentration, but not thought. It also scratches my creative itch, which my work largely does not.

I also find that one of the best parts of wargaming with minis isn't necessarily the minis themselves, but a well-done table with lots of gorgeous terrain. And I don't think I'm alone in this, as if you go to conventions it's always the really nice tables that seem to generate the most buzz.

As long as the game is good and the scenario is moderately balanced, it's all good regardless of minis or terrain. But well-painted minis on a well-painted table? :discourse:

Ilor fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 24, 2018

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

It’s pretty much this, exactly. They both have their place.

I just thought a half dozen posters going “:smug: yeah I don’t build or paint models, I play grandpa hex and chit games” is pretty telling.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Cubes are good, minis are bad. Paint the minis if you want but they’re not gonna tell you a unit is XI motorized division, 2-5, with a 1-3 flipped side if they aren’t supplied. Blocks having 4 sides to denote weaker/stronger units owns.

if you can’t imagine those blocks representing abstract divisions or army groups, that’s on you not the blocks

Putrid

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
This convo is really making me miss old EPIC. Squares upon squares of infantry on a 6x8 board.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not really seeing the dozen of goons saying that hex and counter games are better tbh.

Except for me, because in fact hex 'n' counter games ARE better :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tekopo posted:

I'm not really seeing the dozen of goons saying that hex and counter games are better tbh.

Except for me, because in fact hex 'n' counter games ARE better :smug: