Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Painting is cool too though, until you get to the part where you're actually trying to play Warhammer and then it all goes downhill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Painting is cool too though, until you get to the part where you're actually trying to play Warhammer and then it all goes downhill

Horus Heresy is the Perfect Game

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chill la Chill posted:

That goes back to the usual criticisms of wanting games to be what they aren’t. If the 40k people wanted that much heavy artillery like you’d see in those funny pics where titans are 2 feet away from each other, they should be playing divisional or operational level wargames.

The problem is GW started with a skirmish game using the 25mm minis from the RPGs they played, then never grew out of that scale (apart from scale creep up to currently 32mm) as their games bloated all the way up to 1 foot tall titan shin kicking competitions, and even worse managed to make it the standard in the minds of everyone, so every other game has to be that scale as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

panascope posted:

Horus Heresy is the Perfect Game

Not until it has a logistics phase where I can game out the creeping influence of warrior lodges in my legion, it isn't

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Moola posted:

My gf likes x-wing and a big part is that the models come pre-painted and assembled.
Your gf has lovely taste, so if anything it's a counter-argument.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The problem is GW started with a skirmish game using the 25mm minis from the RPGs they played, then never grew out of that scale (apart from scale creep up to currently 32mm) as their games bloated all the way up to 1 foot tall titan shin kicking competitions, and even worse managed to make it the standard in the minds of everyone, so every other game has to be that scale as well.

This goes back to the criticisms of wanting games to be what they aren’t. Warhammer is fundamentally a game that assigns rules to your model collection, not a fiddly space verisimilitude simulator.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

On a more serious note, I started playing wargames with stuff like warhammer, BFG, Gorka-Morka, Epic Armageddon etc. I absolutely hated playing with anything that was unpainted, so I painted anything (it's the same with hex and counter games for me, because I can't really stand unclipped counters) that I was planning to put on the table (to the best of my ability). When I got older, I kind of realised that it wasn't that enjoyable for me to actually paint stuff and that overall the activity was frustrating to me (I have poor eyesight and shaky hands, which doesn't help). I drifted towards stuff like board games, then board wargames and got into X-Wing because it was prepainted.

I tend to agree that if you are going to play minis, the primary appeal is the spectacle, so you should probably paint your stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

tallkidwithglasses posted:

This goes back to the criticisms of wanting games to be what they aren’t. Warhammer is fundamentally a game that assigns rules to your model collection, not a fiddly space verisimilitude simulator.

There's a middle ground between the two, no matter how hard 40k fans jam their fingers in their ears and scream fealty to the god emperor

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

There's a middle ground between the two, no matter how hard 40k fans jam their fingers in their ears and scream fealty to the god emperor

There’s a middle ground, sure, but that middle ground isn’t Warhammer. That’s fine.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There’s a middle ground, sure, but that middle ground isn’t Warhammer. That’s fine.

And Warhammer isn't a good game, by any conceivable measure.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

It’s a perfectly fine game held up by the best models on the market.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Show me on the Sigmarine where Warhammer hurt you so badly that you feel the need to post several volumes about how much it bothers you when others have fun with it.

Like, just play battle for North Africa or whatevs and enjoy making sure your Italians have enough water to boil their pasta.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

panascope posted:

It’s a perfectly fine game held up by the best models on the market.

I think you're forgetting the boutique horror models of Kingdom Death, the game for ultraperverts

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Logistics is probably the best part of wargames no joke

Just me moving trucks with supplies around the board for an hour :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Show me on the Sigmarine where Warhammer hurt you so badly that you feel the need to post several volumes about how much it bothers you when others have fun with it.

Like, just play battle for North Africa or whatevs and enjoy making sure your Italians have enough water to boil their pasta.

Have you reported the thread to get it closed down again yet?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah but Shittin (my nickname for Ettin) isn’t responding to my pms anymore.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Triggered and crushed by logic

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The problem with this opinion is you can't actually just take the models out of the equation and say the game is 100% out right bad. The immersion of your lovingly modelled and painted man's is part of the game the same way that D&D any edition is made or broken by the players and the role playing.

Just like video games or movies. Yeah you can have fun games and movies with simple or even bad graphics but a visually interesting media is not nothing.

You can still not like it despite that but there is a conceivable measure you are ignoring.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "and warhammer isn't a good game, by any conceivable measure. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Anyone who hates assembling and painting models is literally *literally* dickriding Hitler.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
The Virgin NTrabbit: Mad Online because people enjoy games he doesn’t, probably voted Leave, responds to medium quality burns with sputtering and pathetic mewling.

The Chad tkwg: serene and accepting of all tabletop games in all their forms, blessed to be an American and will graciously vote England in as the 51st state to ensure they get food and Obamacare during the post-Brexit famine, enjoys both painting models and playing board games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

serene and accepting of everything apart from unpainted minis? :confused:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Yeah exactly

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

The only person you’re hurting with unpainted plastic is yourself, friend. Why deny yourself the zen-like pleasure of applying acrylic paint to small figurines?

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, not seeing the issue here.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tekopo posted:

finally a smart loving poster in this thread

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Hixson posted:

Yeah exactly

Yeah but unpainted minis... Or minis with the hand on backwards. Which is the worse crime?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean I agree with you wrt painting but making a meme where you say that you accepting gaming in all its forms when you previously mass quoted people saying stuff like “unpainted is not a big deal” and “there’s ways to do no-effort painting” seems a bit weird to me

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Tekopo posted:

I mean I agree with you wrt painting but making a meme where you say that you accepting gaming in all its forms when you previously mass quoted people saying stuff like “unpainted is not a big deal” and “there’s ways to do no-effort painting” seems a bit weird to me

I thought it was perhaps a little telling that the people most infamously Very Mad About GW do not actually paint models, and clearly do not enjoy it. Perhaps that’s connected to their love of posting incessantly that warhams is a BRIGADE and not a PLATOON game, omg why can’t the people who play Warhammer understand that?????

We’ll have to do more research to be sure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I can see now that reopening this thread was a mistake

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Hooray for Zombie thread! Thank you!

Moola posted:

Suggesting people find a better hobby because they don't want to paint is very rude and exclusionary

Let people do.

My gf likes x-wing and a big part is that the models come pre-painted and assembled.

Legion should have been prepaint too.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

I thought it was perhaps a little telling that the people most infamously Very Mad About GW do not actually paint models, and clearly do not enjoy it. Perhaps that’s connected to their love of posting incessantly that warhams is a BRIGADE and not a PLATOON game, omg why can’t the people who play Warhammer understand that?????

i paint and play mostly GW stuff, alot of people were joshing, you dont have to care irl about unpainted models because people play for lots of different reasons its called not being a butthole :angel:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i paint and play mostly GW stuff, alot of people were joshing, you dont have to care irl about unpainted models because people play for lots of different reasons its called not being a butthole :angel:

what even is this bitch rear end post

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I’m not owned! I’m not owned!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

I think it's telling that a lot of them have anime avs.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Two Beans posted:

I’ll set the line at someone bringing up gundam models at 25 more posts.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Two Beans posted:

you have a dabbing megaman av

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Two Beans posted:

As opposed to cool avs like *checks notes* mega man dabbing

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

As opposed to cool avs like *checks notes* mega man dabbing

:respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

I can see now that reopening this thread was a mistake

No, the point is that you can see who the crazy fanbois are and laugh at them.