Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh my god, that's the product description and not just some weird rambling review.

I like the idea that the shop makes him buy a kilometer of material, as if they have so much stock on hand that one thousand loving meters is the smallest amount they can bother with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Do people actually start manual transmission cars without two feet in? Clutch and brake. Always.

Would older cars have required gas pedal work to start in some cases?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...and mine doesn't. Dunno what to say here except some manufacturers are overly cautious about their cars rolling away.

My pulls above are from the 2012 Mustang manual; the 2011 Cruze and 2012 Camaro manual PDFs I also had lying around tell you to put it in reverse.

If the manufacturer's cautious about it, I probably should be too v:shobon:v

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Autos are getting more common for sure, but "plummeting" really is a stretch at least in Europe.

this doesn't show the volume of the market segments, just the rate of manual transmissions for each segment

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wait there's people that don't leave their car in gear when they park it? :psyduck:

I do the neutral-wiggle because, honestly, sometimes if you use just one bit too much force to put it into neutral, it will slip into the next gear instead, and I like to make sure that hasn't happened before I let the clutch out. With a short shifter, it's not always obvious just from hand position whether you're in N or 4 or 6. Less so with 1, 3, and 5 in my car, though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bull3964 posted:

Cars exist without clutch-ignition interlocks?

Most cars in the uk don't have em

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

fridge corn posted:

Most cars in the uk don't have em

Everything I've got from Japan doesn't have a clutch interlock either, 1993 and back. I do use it sometimes, mostly when starting our land cruiser because it's diesel and giving it a few more seconds to run is always a good thing.

You bet your rear end I'll wiggle the stick all day and always park it in gear with the parking brake on why in the heck wouldn't I????

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Autos are getting more common for sure, but "plummeting" really is a stretch at least in Europe.

did you like, read your graph or nah

dk2m
May 6, 2009
hello my name is dk2m and i wiggle my stick at every single stop, there’s nothing you can do about it because the Wiggle Must Continue

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

bull3964 posted:

my old civic didn't need the clutch depressed to start.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Would you wigglers be just as happy in automatics that came with a free fidget cube?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dump the clutch once in gear with the engine running and you'll wiggle for life.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

opengl128 posted:

Dump the clutch once in gear with the engine running and you'll wiggle for life.
I did this at a drive thru. No damage but I now forever wiggle.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

davebo posted:

Would you wigglers be just as happy in automatics that came with a free fidget cube?

No because automatics are trash tier, we're in the realm of craft beers and bespoke cigars now bub and the manual transmission is always going to be better because of not-defined descriptors.

The manual in the AZ-1 is a light, fruity affair with a cool ice-like bite that pleasures the senses.

The transmission in the Land Cruiser is a oak-like woodcut timber feel, with a warmth that soothes in the hand.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

opengl128 posted:

this is what did it to me

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

KakerMix posted:

No because automatics are trash tier, we're in the realm of craft beers and bespoke cigars now bub and the manual transmission is always going to be better because of not-defined descriptors.

The manual in the AZ-1 is a light, fruity affair with a cool ice-like bite that pleasures the senses.

The transmission in the Land Cruiser is a oak-like woodcut timber feel, with a warmth that soothes in the hand.

So what manual should I get to go with my Busch Lite?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

None of my cars have a clutch interlock, though to be fair the most youngest one is a '99.

KakerMix posted:

Now I want beer to list what manuals its like in addition to what food goes best with it.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Prius C has a shifter that's much closer to a conventional automatic shifter than a prius joystick. It's all mechanical and interlocked to the brake pedal and everything.

I can wiggle it side-to-side from D to the gate for B. At any time. Even while driving. I hope this bothers all of you.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Modus Man posted:

So what manual should I get to go with my Busch Lite?

The one that has RCW 46.61.502.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Not any more, I can only assume due to dumb American rules and manufacturers throwing up their hands and just installing them globally

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think the FJ Cruiser had a button to disable the clutch-ignition interlock.

Honestly, I find it hard to think of a situation that would occur during normal driving where the interlock would be a bad thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

0toShifty posted:

My Prius C has a shifter that's much closer to a conventional automatic shifter than a prius joystick. It's all mechanical and interlocked to the brake pedal and everything.

I can wiggle it side-to-side from D to the gate for B. At any time. Even while driving. I hope this bothers all of you.

Wtf is 'B' ???

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wtf is 'B' ???

Keeps the gear ratios lower so the car uses engine braking, it's for going down long steep hills. It helps from to not overheat the brakes and also to prevent over charging the batteries.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I always wiggle and park manual cars (that I own) in neutral unless im on a steep hill.

it helped that the handbrake was drum-in-rotor and had ~*~*drift-spec*~*~ shoes on it that would lock it up at like 3/4 tension though.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I need to put my car in gear while parking, otherwise I won't be able to remove the key. :ohdear:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sweet, looks like Mazda will be offering the 2019 CX-5 with the turbo-4 from the CX-9.

https://jalopnik.com/mazda-finally-gives-the-cx-5-a-turbo-1829981976

quote:

Mazda’s mid-sized 5-passenger CUV has desperately needed a more powerful engine since the first generation was introduced back in 2012. According to the 2019 Mazda CX-5 U.S. order guide, leaked to the world on Reddit, it’s finally getting the more powerful engine it deserves. By tossing 250 horsepower worth of CX-9 2.5-liter turbo motor into the CX-5, it might finally have the guts to match its sporty visuals.

The turbocharged engine will be available in two new upmarket trim packages—Grand Touring Reserve and Signature—for the CX-5, introduced as part of this visual and performance update for the 2019 model year.

The Grand Touring Reserve package adds auto-fold mirrors, traffic sign recognition software, and a heated steering wheel as standard over the Grand Touring package. This package cannot be ordered with any other drivetrain option than the turbocharged four-cylinder and standard all-wheel drive. The CX-5 GTR package starts at $34,870.

The Signature package adds a dark silver finish to the 19" alloy wheels, nice brown Nappa leather-trimmed seats, wood interior trim, a unique steering wheel, and LED lighting everywhere. This package also adds 360-degree view monitoring, as well as parking sensors front and rear. This package is also exclusive to the turbo-four and all-wheel drive combination. Buyers will need to part with $36,890 for this ultra-lux CX-5.

Got to pony up for a top trim level, but that'll add some needed oomph to the most "exciting" crossover on the market.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Didn’t someone in this thread say that the Mazda turbo engines have a lot of problems? I figure there’s got to be some reason they don’t already have low pressure turbos on all of them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Guinness posted:

Sweet, looks like Mazda will be offering the 2019 CX-5 with the turbo-4 from the CX-9.

https://jalopnik.com/mazda-finally-gives-the-cx-5-a-turbo-1829981976

Got to pony up for a top trim level, but that'll add some needed oomph to the most "exciting" crossover on the market.

They called it the GTR, nice

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Lot of wiggling going on itt. I like it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have the non-turbo 2.5 in my 2015 CX-5 and it has plenty of power so :confused:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Thwomp posted:

I have the non-turbo 2.5 in my 2015 CX-5 and it has plenty of power so :confused:

Are you complaining about getting more power?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

*edit

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lot of wiggling going on itt. I like it.

I haven't seen this many goons desperately slamming the post button since the last discussion about tipping in the US.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I got in my car yesterday and thought of this thread. Then I wiggled the shifter.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Always wiggle the shifter.

It makes the car happy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

david_a posted:

Didn’t someone in this thread say that the Mazda turbo engines have a lot of problems? I figure there’s got to be some reason they don’t already have low pressure turbos on all of them.

yes but that was on the 2.3 turbos, which were ford engines

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Firstly, those 2.3 Turbos were not Ford engines (at least, if you're talking the one out of the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6). Secondly, there do seem to be issues with the Skyactiv Turbo. Back when the CX-9 was the only turbo car in the lineup its reliability stats were far below that of anything else Mazda sold.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Always wiggle the shifter.

It makes the car happy.

Just be sure to keep a kleenex handy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

BloodBag posted:

I haven't seen this many goons desperately slamming the post button since the last discussion about tipping in the US.

Don't forget the more HP = more safe discussion. That was fun.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2018

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

BloodBag posted:

always tip the wiggler
the bigger the wiggle the bigger the tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Why do people think you're suppose to wiggle the tip? Don't wiggle the tip, wiggle the driveshaft!