Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1054677207992467457

All are welcome in the dictators club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still not convinced that Kushner isn't some badly programmed android from the future who lost his memories

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh, well then, that clears that up

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iraqi_information_minister_meme.jpg

also lol

https://twitter.com/ScottESpriggs/status/1054747251132772353

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Jamal's son meeting MBS is basically Joffrey showing off Ned's head to Sansa.

I expect he has a bone saw called "Widow's Wail."

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It's clear how frustrated even the Saudi's closest allies are about this and how this affair is damaging those relationships. Trump calling this the "worst cover up in history" is a damning indictment of how gross incompetence of this order completely undermines trust in SA as allies. I think the long term damage the Khashoggi murder incident causes SA is really significant in terms of building influence.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

What

https://twitter.com/ayaelb/status/1055117359273402370

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

This is all so cartoonish. What the Hell?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm definitely getting the feeling MBS is a legit psychopath.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

How did Hariri react?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/MaloneySuzanne/status/1055142241029812225

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So does that mean there'll eventually be a (Islamic version of the) Protestant Reformation....with Thirty Years War? :ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

would like to thank MBS for giving us a cartoonish example of why everyone hated aristocrats so fuckin much back in the day.

The sheer arrogance and lack of concern for consequences it took to say that on stage is boggling.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Spacewolf posted:

So does that mean there'll eventually be a (Islamic version of the) Protestant Reformation....with Thirty Years War? :ohdear:

Yes except afterwards the entire Persian Gulf area will be literally uninhabitable wasteland.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes except afterwards the entire Persian Gulf area will be literally uninhabitable wasteland.

That's probably not going to have much bearing on who's in charge and how stable their government is, though, so much as it simply being a desert region in the mid-21st century.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Darth Walrus posted:

That's probably not going to have much bearing on who's in charge and how stable their government is, though, so much as it simply being a desert region in the mid-21st century.

That was indeed my intent, thanks for clarifying.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spacewolf posted:

Have you missed the Iranians and Saudis fighting and all their proxy conflicts?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Have you missed the Iranians and Saudis fighting and all their proxy conflicts?

That's not yet TYW level destruction though. Worryingly destructive, yes, but not TYW destructive.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Main stream Islam won't take the civil war/self-reform path because Islam is too obsessed with being different from Christianity. Civil war between saudi/Iran/Turkey/Egypt for regional control yes there is a good chance of it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

tino posted:

Main stream Islam won't take the civil war/self-reform path because Islam is too obsessed with being different from Christianity. Civil war between saudi/Iran/Turkey/Egypt for regional control yes there is a good chance of it.

that first sentence is a little weird on a couple levels

There are a couple different self-reform paths for 'mainstream Islam' that are processing to various degrees in various places.

also everyone always forgets the absolute buttload of Muslims in S/SE Asia

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spacewolf posted:

That's not yet TYW level destruction though. Worryingly destructive, yes, but not TYW destructive.

We are only in year 15 of 30, give it some time

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

would like to thank MBS for giving us a cartoonish example of why everyone hated aristocrats so fuckin much back in the day.

The sheer arrogance and lack of concern for consequences it took to say that on stage is boggling.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that first sentence is a little weird on a couple levels

There are a couple different self-reform paths for 'mainstream Islam' that are processing to various degrees in various places.

The problem is Islam hardcoded the physical locations of the holy sites into definition of Islam. It's hard to reform with that written into the constitution.

Can you remove those and still call yourself Islam? Probably not. Yes S/SEA should have forked their version of Islam and moved the holy sites to their home turf if them have any smart.

tino fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 24, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Spacewolf posted:

We're already getting the Mid Eastern Wars of Religion in Yemen, Syria, etc.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

tino posted:

The problem is Islam hardcoded the physical locations of the holy sites into definition of Islam.

.....so??
Seriously what does this have to do with anything anyone has been talking about including yourself??

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Grape posted:

.....so??
Seriously what does this have to do with anything anyone has been talking about including yourself??

It's a feature that incorporate pre-islamic religious ritual as well as designed to bring in more money to the holy sites but as years gone by it became a characteristic within religion that resist reform.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
As opposed to those other religions that have no holy sites, or have them and could take or leave them.

:confused:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

tino posted:

It's a feature that incorporate pre-islamic religious ritual as well as designed to bring in more money to the holy sites but as years gone by it became a characteristic within religion that resist reform.

Alright, nobody cares in this thread about your theories on Islam, perhaps the religion threads in A/T will be interested.

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/stat...D821%23lastpost

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
MBS should have had Khassogi thrown out of a window to fit with the TYW narrative.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

tino posted:

Moon god???

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1055410616020725761

[edit] Wrong thread

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 25, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Saudi Arabia didn't, and they spent a lot of petrodollars to make sure they'd be as hosed up as they are.

There's a lot of depressing stories about how such or such place used to have a tolerant and open Islam but that changed in the last 50 years.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

As opposed to those other religions that have no holy sites, or have them and could take or leave them.

steinrokkan posted:

Moon god???
I'm glad someone else was picking up on this dude's weird regressive vibes tho I guess they weren't very subtle

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm glad someone else was picking up on this dude's weird regressive vibes tho I guess they weren't very subtle

I was hoping he would post something less subtle so I could smack him with the newspaper but figured that’s irresponsible of me.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Frightening Knight posted:

I was hoping he would post something less subtle so I could smack him with the newspaper but figured that’s irresponsible of me.
Lookit Moderator bin Salman over here, mad with power after like 4 days.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Lookit Moderator bin Salman over here, mad with power after like 4 days.

Excuse me, I haven’t dismembered a man and tried to hide his body in my garden.

Yet.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Frightening Knight posted:

Excuse me, I haven’t dismembered a man and tried to hide his body in my garden.

Yet.

Somehow that was funny, and I don't think it was out of fear.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Since the thread is dead because the Middle East is finally at peace (Dead Palestinians notwithstanding).

I would like to recommend a podcast for those who like them. It’s called Popular Front. Good relatively obscure stuff which people who follow this stuff would like. An example is a Swedish YPG guest, an interview with a guy who followed and documented IS VBIED’s, and a studier of Aum Shinrikyo. Probably a pro western bias if anything, but not too explicit. Worth checking out anyway.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Daesh killed around 70 members of the SDF during a sandstorm offensive.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/27/world/middleeast/syria-islamic-state.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/kbnet_/status/1055981863196639239