Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Well at least we would get him in Yakuza Dead Souls Kiwami and Yakuza 5 Kiwami years from now. Bonus points as they are using voice actors vs actual actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, almost done with this Hostess game. Found out you can make 1.2 mil per session on the final mission by spamming Hina's special move on customers, and that it gives you and the debt that 1.2 million.

Buy a bunch of vogue confections at the bazzar to keep their motivation up and grind. Once you hit about 10 mil, go to your hideout and pay the woman on the bench right outside. Rinse, repeat.

Man, this boss fight better be worth it.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Man the placement of the shooting segment in Kiwami is way more brutal than Zero on legend.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Remember when Yakuza 6 came out and we all started drinking fancy whiskey? Yeah...

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Housh posted:

Remember when Yakuza 6 came out and we all started drinking fancy whiskey? Yeah...

Look I would have fuckin got some Boss Rainbow Coffee but that requires doing more than getting drunk on some good whiskey.

I still have the cups, and the small stones.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yaboozo

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I picked up 0 since it was only $20 (which I honestly think is a freaking steal)

I'm loving the batter style as Majima but I cant seem to get into the dance style. Is there something I'm missing? It just seems to take forever to beat anyone with it. Batter ends random fights in a matter of seconds.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

swordfish duelist posted:

I picked up 0 since it was only $20 (which I honestly think is a freaking steal)

I'm loving the batter style as Majima but I cant seem to get into the dance style. Is there something I'm missing? It just seems to take forever to beat anyone with it. Batter ends random fights in a matter of seconds.

Breaker is primarily for dealing with large groups, and I also found that it really wanted it's trainer upgrades to shine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Once you get the Chun Li kick, breaker is great for taking care of mobs

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Breaker is primarily for dealing with large groups, and I also found that it really wanted it's trainer upgrades to shine.

This. Bat is for your heavier opponents, Thug is great for countering folks and dealing single-target damage, and breaker (when upgraded) chews through mobs like a lawnmower.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

J.A.B.C. posted:

This. Bat is for your heavier opponents, Thug is great for countering folks and dealing single-target damage, and breaker (when upgraded) chews through mobs like a lawnmower.
I liked the bat style. Then I loved it when I got the 'enough heat means it will not bounce off walls!'.

Inventory weapons may be stronger, but an on demand infinite durability weapon to block swords and knives with is a real godsend.

I unlocked the knife style, but when things got serious I'd go back to the good old slugger.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The upgraded nunchaku combo with Slugger is ace for stunlocking. Pretty hard to get countered as well, even if they block

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Section Z posted:

I liked the bat style. Then I loved it when I got the 'enough heat means it will not bounce off walls!'.

Honestly, I absolutely loved Breaker style. Something about how fun it is to get in a fight, breakdance most of your opponents, then kill the strongest guy by pushing him towards a wall with the headstand spin and just chipping him to death is hilarious and wonderful and completely Majima.

Though it sucks when you're on the receiving end in Kiwami. Though Tiger Drop tends to cure most problems with a quickness.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Slugger would still be the strongest style in the game if the only move it had was bat nunchaku

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Slugger would still be the strongest style in the game if the only move it had was bat nunchaku

The hardest part of learning majima’s fighting styles is remembering to use anything besides bat nunchaku

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

J.A.B.C. posted:

Honestly, I absolutely loved Breaker style. Something about how fun it is to get in a fight, breakdance most of your opponents, then kill the strongest guy by pushing him towards a wall with the headstand spin and just chipping him to death is hilarious and wonderful and completely Majima.
Peak "I love this, why can't I stop" is to imagine two people on a bridge, tripping eachother as they get up, forever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The hardest part of learning majima’s fighting styles is remembering to use anything besides bat nunchaku

this, except when you unlock the looping rush combo for thug

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this, except when you unlock the looping rush combo for thug

I got this around the part area of the game where it plays the Reign song and oh my God that was like an ultimate catharsis moment.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_BJ076uWds

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
New Tanimura looks like the love child of Akiyama and Old Tanimura. It's weird.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

isk posted:

New Tanimura looks like the love child of Akiyama and Old Tanimura. It's weird.

I hate how these fourth characters like tanimura and shinada just drop off the face of the Earth after their games. Tanimura would have been a great fit for some cameos in 6, given the setting

and guess what: after some research, tanimura was dropped from later games because the actor was caught in a drug use scandal (that he was cleared of!). So the tanimura in this remake is another actor. geez Japan

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

In other news, Jesus taught me Ujouken and here I am wondering how to reliably use it. Like, I can and absolutely will use the poo poo out of the jump. But uh... I want that Humanist Face Breaker gosh darn it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nerdz posted:

I hate how these fourth characters like tanimura and shinada just drop off the face of the Earth after their games. Tanimura would have been a great fit for some cameos in 6, given the setting

and guess what: after some research, tanimura was dropped from later games because the actor was caught in a drug use scandal (that he was cleared of!). So the tanimura in this remake is another actor. geez Japan

What I'm hoping is that if they went to the trouble of getting a new likeness and everything instead of just a new VA that they plan to actually have the character pop up again at some point like in Judge Eyes or something.

I agree too like I understand not wanting to rehash everyone all the time but when the games take place relatively close to each other it's always noticeable when a playable character just gets dropped completely.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

nerdz posted:

Even moreso, after some exhaustive deep digging, I have learned that the original actor that played Tanimura was implicated in a drug scandal, and stepped away from acting. So Tanimura is going to be a different guy this time!!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked Shinada but I don't mind him not being in another game. His story was pretty much over at the end of Y5.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ALFbrot posted:

Even moreso, after some exhaustive deep digging, I have learned that the original actor that played Tanimura was implicated in a drug scandal, and stepped away from acting. So Tanimura is going to be a different guy this time!!

if you think THAT's shocking, just wait till you hear about what happened to Tanimura's original VA!

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I was honestly surprised that Yakuza 5 even referred to Tanimura by name, since he seemed to have become an un-person.
Still sad about his new look, though. Just can't seem to get used to it at all. His new voice seems fine, though, honestly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Saralene posted:

I was honestly surprised that Yakuza 5 even referred to Tanimura by name, since he seemed to have become an un-person.
Still sad about his new look, though. Just can't seem to get used to it at all. His new voice seems fine, though, honestly.

tbf I think the only time he gets brought up is in the Amon sidequest which is basically a secret.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

tbf I think the only time he gets brought up is in the Amon sidequest which is basically a secret.

Yeah. He is mentioned one other time but not by name. In that sidequest they mention him a bunch of times, though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, Tanimura is all about Little Asia. So weird to not have anything about him in 6. And for some reason a shitload of Akiyama presence all the time. I guess he's super popular?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I mean, Tanimura is all about Little Asia. So weird to not have anything about him in 6. And for some reason a shitload of Akiyama presence all the time. I guess he's super popular?

He's very very popular and IIRC they even briefly considered making him the new main guy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There was a recent poll where he rated as the most popular character in the franchise, beating out Kiryu and Majima among others.

Which is correct because he is cool.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Give us the remasters Sega

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There was a recent poll where he rated as the most popular character in the franchise, beating out Kiryu and Majima among others.

They didn't gently caress around when they made him, IIRC part of the point of Yakuza 4 was that Kiryu must be around but anyone could be the main character in the world they made. Even before 5 was announced a lot of people expected an Akiyama solo game. I do think there was a change of heart or some schism in their philosophy, not in a bad way obviously since the games still come out and are great, but even around 3 and the way 3 ends was on a Kiryu's getting too old for this poo poo note and it ends in such an absolute final final this is the end of him rolling around beating up folks way. But later on when 5 was announced I forget who but one of the team folks said that they felt the series without Kiryu would be really bad. I think it explains a lot of why which characters are prominent and how the story goes in 5 to 6 are kind of inconsistent and weird.

Either way I'm hype for whatever this team puts out no matter the cast. Like even Dead Souls is simple fun even if it's not a great game overall, their track record is pretty nuts.

I still think it was hilarious that 6 ends with Kiryu running away YET AGAIN when with every enemy involved with him dead he could have easily had the government guy just have him "officially" dead but give him a new identity so he could retire at the orphanage. I mean it fit and was completely in character for Kiryu but you'd think Date or someone would have mentioned the obvious solution, plus it'd be a situation where it's in the interests of the Japanese government proper to keep him protected forever.

In my headcannon he moved to Honolulu and there's a spinoff game where Sayama is the main playable character and Kiryu is in the Date "I'll drop in from time to time to give you plot-advancing exposition and/or help with a midboss" role

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

He's very very popular and IIRC they even briefly considered making him the new main guy.

That main character for the new Yakuza game or whatever is basically an Akiyama and Kyriu's mashup, down to the homeless background and being a Yakuza fall guy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It really is unfortunate that Tanimura got ran off because as people mentioned yeah he should have been perfect for Yakuza 6. A Little Asia-minded young cop who's willing to play dirty and skirt the law to save the good guys would have been the best possible person to help Kiryu in that game and it's weird that Detective Date sort of filled that role. It's like how they build up to introducing someone who can use their information network to help Kiryu locate stuff and you're like "Okay here comes Kage" and no surprisingly it's Akiyama, and he's mobilized the homeless as his weird network of roaming spy cameras. I can get that Yakuza 6 wasn't trying to be the ultra-sappy Everyone Is Here finale for Kiryu but goddamn man could you have I dunno brought back Kage or hell Majima other than the last 5 minutes of the game? Maybe Sayama could have phoned something in literally?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's sort of up and down. In the most recent update to that poll, he dropped from 3rd to 9th.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, finally beat Amon (gently caress yeah) and started NG+ to max out my sphere grid

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

They didn't gently caress around when they made him, IIRC part of the point of Yakuza 4 was that Kiryu must be around but anyone could be the main character in the world they made. Even before 5 was announced a lot of people expected an Akiyama solo game. I do think there was a change of heart or some schism in their philosophy, not in a bad way obviously since the games still come out and are great, but even around 3 and the way 3 ends was on a Kiryu's getting too old for this poo poo note and it ends in such an absolute final final this is the end of him rolling around beating up folks way. But later on when 5 was announced I forget who but one of the team folks said that they felt the series without Kiryu would be really bad. I think it explains a lot of why which characters are prominent and how the story goes in 5 to 6 are kind of inconsistent and weird.

Either way I'm hype for whatever this team puts out no matter the cast. Like even Dead Souls is simple fun even if it's not a great game overall, their track record is pretty nuts.

I still think it was hilarious that 6 ends with Kiryu running away YET AGAIN when with every enemy involved with him dead he could have easily had the government guy just have him "officially" dead but give him a new identity so he could retire at the orphanage. I mean it fit and was completely in character for Kiryu but you'd think Date or someone would have mentioned the obvious solution, plus it'd be a situation where it's in the interests of the Japanese government proper to keep him protected forever.

In my headcannon he moved to Honolulu and there's a spinoff game where Sayama is the main playable character and Kiryu is in the Date "I'll drop in from time to time to give you plot-advancing exposition and/or help with a midboss" role

he tried that once. It was called Tachi Suzuki. He knew so long as he is alive people will come asking him for advice or kill him. And he has ultimately failed Haruka when Iwami finally decided to hold her hostage with actual intentions to kill her and Haruto or beig put to a coma because he thought he could start anew by going to jail to serve time

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm still bitter about those allegations and am genuinely sad about Hiroki Narimiya. I watched a bunch of dramas with him in it before too - the first was probably akihabara@DEEP or Bloody Monday. :sigh:

He got done dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if anyone else cares about this, but as consoles continue to evolve it gets more evident how bad Kiryu and Haruka's character models are compared to other characters. They are too simple due to the low poly PS2 aesthetics and it feels like no effort was spent in modernizing their faces. It's even more absurd in Haruka's case, given that they could simply update her facial complexity as she aged. It's very distracting for me, and adding real life actors to the game only makes it worse.