Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The White Dragon posted:

1) buy all gear that maxes your speed possible. this is beyond important.
2) equip Concentrate, and learn all Throws on a ninja
3) equip Teleport to ignore height, walls, and gaps
4) pray

specifically speaking, the "right" way to do the riovanes rooftop battle is to make every character in your party a ninja (just in case of dodge), maximize their speed as hard as possible, and then Throw your strongest shurikens at ONLY ONE of elmdor's assassins. your goal is to reduce one of your enemies' HP to critical range, which ends the fight immediately, but they're geared and statted such that all attacks have like an 80% miss rate. i hope you have a small goat handy in case you need to sacrifice it to satan

2 Shurikens and one Holy later I did it. No doubt some luck was involved but everything went perfectly in one try. Thanks.

I was actually more worried against Belias because he one shotted half of my party in one turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

lobster22221 posted:

I've never heard of it, but googling shows something that looks like a tactical rpg so I'm interested. is it worth it if you put up with grinding?

The sad thing is that the game could be made halfway decent by a modder with a LOT of time. Most of the terrible aspects of the game are simply design decisions by a spiteful, hateful designer. But as the game is in its original form, I would not recommend touching it.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the problem with ending the elmdor fight as quickly as possible is you dont have a chance to steal all of their really good poo poo

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Parachute posted:

the problem with ending the elmdor fight as quickly as possible is you dont have a chance to steal all of their really good poo poo

iirc you can't steal it in the psp version, for better or worse.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

lobster22221 posted:

iirc you can't steal it in the psp version, for better or worse.

Yeah stealing his stuff only works in the original PS1 version.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
REAL OG RIGHT HERE YALL

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

There's nothing worth stealing from him on the rooftop fight anyway, which is the one people always complain about. That fight has a very easy work around that anyone can do, so I don't know why it gets almost as much complaining as the Weigraf/Belias double whammy, which are much harder to cheese around if you don't have enough JP for the right abilities.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

There's nothing worth stealing from him on the rooftop fight anyway, which is the one people always complain about. That fight has a very easy work around that anyone can do, so I don't know why it gets almost as much complaining as the Weigraf/Belias double whammy, which are much harder to cheese around if you don't have enough JP for the right abilities.

Mostly because there’s more solutions to the Weigraf problem. Chameleon Robes + instant speed healing of a greater value then Potion make him tenable almost regardless of build otherwise. Auto Potion neuters him. A lot of builds can one-shot him, like Summoners and Ninjas and Lancers and some Monks, and many many more will outspeed him and kill him in two.

The problem is that you can’t really job change your way into something that can handle him if you haven’t already got the parts for a setup is a thing. Particularly, a lot of people who use Ramza as a thief or a bard (which seems really common, due to steal obsession and Bard being gatelocked like some kind of ultimate class) likely just get hardwalled.

You can usually slap something together to deal with the rooftop (anything naked and fast can usually at least buy a turn for everyone else to get in, and one turn is usually all you need) but it’s a fight that has one or two solutions and most other ideas often end on a Shadow Stitch on Rafa before you get to implement anything.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Schwartzcough posted:

The Masamune is absolutely worth stealing from him on the rooftop fight on the PS1 version.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

The problem is that you can’t really job change your way into something that can handle him if you haven’t already got the parts for a setup is a thing. Particularly, a lot of people who use Ramza as a thief or a bard (which seems really common, due to steal obsession and Bard being gatelocked like some kind of ultimate class) likely just get hardwalled.

that said squire ramza with !sing sounds really powerful outside of that one battle

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Masamune is absolutely worth stealing from him on the rooftop fight on the PS1 version.

yeah but if we're talking ps1 then you might as well just wait and steal it from him in chapter 4 and then use the buy-any-weapon bug.

also ramza can't learn ultima in riovanes rooftop because the skill slot doesn't open until you complete chapter 3 :eng99:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 24, 2018

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
man I haven't played FFT ipad version in a long while and keep thinking about going back to it but I don't remember where I am in the game other than I have beaten several of those tough fights people talk about so it all just kind of feels like I'd be confused and lost figuring out what I'm doing

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

small problem there.

The Masamune is overrated anyway. Regen sucks, a Time Mage on a well built team can hand out Haste just as easily, and the Haste spell doesn't confer a 15% chance of never being able to cast it again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why does an Arc Knight have a katana sword anyway

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
arcane knight has draw out

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
dear god let's please not get into fft's localization

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

"it was largely bad but has lovable bits" doesn't seem like a hot take

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Whose that handsome devil in your avatar?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gologle posted:

Whose that handsome devil in your avatar?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Trasson posted:

small problem there.

The Masamune is overrated anyway. Regen sucks, a Time Mage on a well built team can hand out Haste just as easily, and the Haste spell doesn't confer a 15% chance of never being able to cast it again.

Yeah, that. Actually, the rooftop fight DOES have the semi-rare women's hair accessory hats on the Assassins... where they are incorrectly equipped as accessories instead of headgear. But they're still not worth the effort to steal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Coughing Hobo posted:

im bi-count

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't blame the translation, blame yourself or god

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I bet Square spent l i t t l e m o n e y on the translation

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Let's just use a Stop Bracelet on this line of talk, mkay?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

grieving for Gandalf posted:

"it was largely bad but has lovable bits" doesn't seem like a hot take

More like terrible with three good lines

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

corn in the bible posted:

Don't blame the translation, blame yourself or god

I'm sad they went for "The gods have no eyes for chattle!" instead of the classic "Animals have no God!!" when they localized Algus'/Argath's raid boss lines in XIV.

That particular reference they already burned years ago during the main quest line, so I can forgive its absence.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
My English was pretty bad when fft came out so I didn't realize how bad the translation was until I tried replaying the psx version a few years back. I think it made more sense when I knew less English

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 24, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanfy posted:

I'm sad they went for "The gods have no eyes for chattle!" instead of the classic "Animals have no God!!" when they localized Algus'/Argath's raid boss lines in XIV.

That particular reference they already burned years ago during the main quest line, so I can forgive its absence.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

I also blame the gods whenever I happen to blink just when someone snaps a photo of me.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Chapter 4 of the original FFT is incomprehensible at some/most points. The end of Chapter 3 is also bad.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

I've never heard of Bard Ramza being common, but Cheer Song makes Wiegraf a breeze. It's even better than Yell since it can give you more than 1 Speed per turn and you don't have to constantly Act to use it, letting you easily kite around Wiegraf.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just recruited Cid. I guess I beat the game. Chapter 4 feels like a victory lap so far.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Just recruited Cid. I guess I beat the game. Chapter 4 feels like a victory lap so far.

That's totally normal. Each chapter generally gets easier than the last because enemies don't progress in abilities like you do, and don't setup their abilities/equipment in any sort of intelligent way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

That's totally normal. Each chapter generally gets easier than the last because enemies don't progress in abilities like you do, and don't setup their abilities/equipment in any sort of intelligent way.

also Cid is broken

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The only really challenging stuff in the last chapter is the bonus dungeon and the final boss fight (maybe)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The only really challenging stuff in the last chapter is the bonus dungeon and the final boss fight (maybe)

gently caress Dark Depths. It isn't fun and more importantly I've never been able to get Ramza to learn Ultima in any of my playthroughs. :mad:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

The two Balk/Barich fights can be hard. And the Algus refight in WotL. But you do have just so many options at that point.

Riovanes is interesting. I always really liked the Wiegraf and Belias fight because it felt like the game telling you it was time to see if you learned your lessons about Ramza needing to hold his own. At that point you've had several fights that start with him separated from the main group--rushing headlong into battle is kind of his thing.

The rooftop, though... I think everyone who says "oh the rooftop isn't that hard, just do this" is looking back on it in hindsight and knowing that all you need to do is get one of the three enemies to critical. There is no way to know that until you have done it. In fact, the game specifically tells you that your job is to protect Rafa, who dies the second one of them looks at him. So your first instinct, because, again, the game explicitly tells you to do this, is to distract all of three of them, not to focus fire on one of them, which results in leaving the other two to ice Rafa. And then you have Rafa running right up to them every time.

But really, my main problem with that fight is that the cutscene leading up to it is rad as hell and totally loses its power when you see it, like, twenty times in a row because you haven't figured out the One Weird Trick to Kill an Otherworldly Assassin. You've been chasing this evil dude (literally a war criminal pedophile) across the country and up a castle and when you get to the top these other people just throw him off the roof because he is of no consequence whatsoever to them. You thought this guy was a big player in the game, but he's not even on these guys' radar. It is a fantastic pivot for the whole game, so it hurts that right after it is a heavily-scripted battle that you either do the right way or you do it over and over again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I dunno where you got the pedophile idea from.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You need to read some subtext, my friend. Rapha did not have a great life under that dude's watch.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress Dark Depths. It isn't fun and more importantly I've never been able to get Ramza to learn Ultima in any of my playthroughs. :mad:

to learn ultima just give ramza really high faith and hp, and the lowest evasion on your team. make sure everyone is immune to stop and instant death, and then toss up protect. cecilia and lede will favor ultima over all other actions because 1) it'll have any effect at all and 2) it will do the most damage out of all their skills. bring out the negotiators with Threaten too if you like, to drop their Brave and make it even less likely they'll try to use a physical attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

to learn ultima just give ramza really high faith and hp, and the lowest evasion on your team. make sure everyone is immune to stop and instant death, and then toss up protect. cecilia and lede will favor ultima over all other actions because 1) it'll have any effect at all and 2) it will do the most damage out of all their skills. bring out the negotiators with Threaten too if you like, to drop their Brave and make it even less likely they'll try to use a physical attack.

I know how to do it, it just hasn't worked :negative: