Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/unity3d/status/1054995969249603584

Star citizen good

Taxxe :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

TheAgent posted:

its a completely archaic system that was supposed to be updated with the mainline 3.0 update ("orgs" or whatever it was called, that was supposed to link the game to spectrum or something)

I mean how the gently caress do you not have a decent command line grouping system even. wtf is /invite a tool for big publishers to keep the average indie dev down or something

goddamn this piece of poo poo lol

I think it's hilarious that the 3.0 Jesus Patch, which was a year late, still isn't completely here. Great fuckin' management skills there, Chris. Way to nail those estimates

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

but but but what about 3.4, its already the end of october and it looks like 3.3 won't even hit the PU by then, maybe November so like what the gently caress man

what about 3.4

Wow! we added so many extra features like new haircuts, and door improvements to 3.3.5 that we have decided to rename it 3.4 to do it justice. Unfortunately, we also had some issues with the gameplay at the new planet so that had to be pushed back to 4.1. Also, there is a new anti-carrier ship for sale!

reddit: gently caress yeah! You guys rock! Have some extra money.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh, this bit got me good.

quote:

Chris Roberts [Star Citizen director and founder of developer Cloud Imperium Games] reached out and said, ‘By the end of the year, I want to see that face actually talking to me.’”

That one sentence speaks volumes about his management style. No questioning the devs as to what is realisticly possible. No discussion of limitiations. Just "Do it".

And of course, the devs do what they can, and the management prioritize FOIP because CR says he wants it by the end of the year, so everything else can go hang.

Also lulz worthy...

quote:

Despite that, the company is taking pre-orders. Again, keep in mind that these are pre-orders for a camera for a game that doesn't exist yet.

So, taking preorders for a camera that doesn't exist yet for a game that doesn't exist yet.

And...

quote:

There’s a lot of good research that suggests facial expressions are a big part of human communication, and that the lack of them helps foster the online hellworld we all live in daily.

Nope, that's just the anonimity. People will still be jerkwads with FIOP. Hell, it will provide them with an extra avenue to be a jerkward.

They nail it with the final sentence though.

quote:

It’s possible that dedication and belief in the dream of Star Citizen, rather than its reality, is what keeps them polite and pleasant. They’re all part of the same club, waiting on the promise of exploring the stars while they make faces at each other in corridors. Maybe it will be a nice place to hang out, assuming it ever releases.

Hey, no comments section! How will Joe Blobbers rush to the defense?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

guys guys hear me out

what if, now, just what if, star citizen was a completely different game and actually good

kinda blows your mind, right?

I keep falsifying because it's what I do. Constantly ask the question, 'where does it go from here to be a viable product'?

It's one of the reasons I get stuck on the core tech, because that's the thing that will make or break the game, not the amount of cargo one geegaw can carry over another. But this is currently a space game without a flight model, and I really can't get past that.

I mean, they're actually struggling to put together an FPS shooter in an FPS engine now. That's actually _worse_ than where they were in 2016.

his nibs posted:

Googled GG Allin, regretted that decision

Trap sprung. :allears:

Analogy was solid, though, huh?

trucutru posted:

Clovis is not there, the 3.3 patch only includes the OCS stuff and the new ships. All the content comes with 3.3.5. any day now. You can quote the poo poo out of this.

Football tossed, don't worry citizens, next patch fixes spaceflight!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Peter.Quint posted:

The only viable argument for having criminal erotic gameplay in Star Citizen is to laugh at B'Tak's reaction to it.

B'Tak just wanted a gentle cruise through the stars on a Sunday morning, see a few sights, maybe chat to some fellow citizens, wish them well.

Little did he know he had a stowaway in his cargo hold. Lust is on the stowaway's mind. Anything could happen.

This meme makes me :lol: every time.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

I think it's hilarious that the 3.0 Jesus Patch, which was a year late, still isn't completely here. Great fuckin' management skills there, Chris. Way to nail those estimates
2 years actually. 2.7 was supposed to have all this released at the end of 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

stream it so the world can see the amazing AAA experience of frequent crashes and absolutely nothing to do but make our own "fun"

like is that clovis guy even in the 3.3 PTU right now? didn't they say they are merging 3.3.5 into 3.3 and that's why 3.3 hasn't released yet? I mean, does anyone actually loving know what the gently caress they are supposed to release in 3.3 vs what is actually coming

Wait a second, yeah. Wasn't the whole point of the split between 3.3 and '3.3.5' so that they could still get the patch out roughly in line with their quarterly release dates despite citizencon? Wasn't 3.3 supposed to be out like... weeks ago? Did they just go "hey the PTU is open to all backers, woo we hit our date bay bee"

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Analogy was solid, though, huh?

Aye indeed.

I keep forgetting that when considering the psyche of the citizen, I am stepping into a world of the unwell.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I love how they just keep soldiering on with the version numbers, with no relation in any way to progress they've made. It's like a guy in an asylum who just keeps counting.

"2.0 - 2.1 - 2.2 - 2.3"

"Jerry? Your mom is here to see you, isn't that nice?"

"3.0 - 3.1..."

"Jerry? She brought ice cream. I have a spoon for you. Jerry?"

"3.2 - 3.3 - 3.4"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Goblin posted:

Wait a second, yeah. Wasn't the whole point of the split between 3.3 and '3.3.5' so that they could still get the patch out roughly in line with their quarterly release dates despite citizencon? Wasn't 3.3 supposed to be out like... weeks ago? Did they just go "hey the PTU is open to all backers, woo we hit our date bay bee"
no one is really playing besides the true believers at this point so I guess it doesn't matter

they'll look at the 80fps or whatever they are getting while being alone in a small room and proclaim the game is basically done, now the pipelines will kick in like they were supposed to in 2015 and really haven't we all enjoyed our money's worth already

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It kinda sucks how Star Citizen cultists attempt to throw shade at all the companies out there who are actually accomplishing things. It's a funny dumpster fire, but it's also an extraordinarily irritating false prophet. Every time someone comes up with something, these fuckers are all over it, explaining why Star Citizen did it first/better/idea was stolen from them/whatever the gently caress. It's always wrong, and it always sucks. It might be one of the worst facets of this, and it's an aspect I certainly won't miss.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Like everything CIG does, when the city planet comes out it's going to be a broken piece of poo poo. I can't wait to see it in action.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TheAgent posted:

oh yeah wow so glad they spent so much time on this grouping system that works 100% of the time and is so easy to use

lol just lol

Typical Citizen: "My fist in your FACE! That's a feature, creep!"

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It's easy to be the best if you compare stuff other people have already accomplished to stuff you've decided to accomplish some day, maybe.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

It's easy to be the best if you compare stuff other people have already accomplished to stuff you've decided to accomplish some day, maybe.

I had a much better post that completely refuted this, and sent you crying to momma, but it's in development.

Just give it a couple of months and you'll rue the day.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Scruffpuff posted:

It kinda sucks how Star Citizen cultists attempt to throw shade at all the companies out there who are actually accomplishing things. It's a funny dumpster fire, but it's also an extraordinarily irritating false prophet. Every time someone comes up with something, these fuckers are all over it, explaining why Star Citizen did it first/better/idea was stolen from them/whatever the gently caress. It's always wrong, and it always sucks. It might be one of the worst facets of this, and it's an aspect I certainly won't miss.

I think it's funny, actually. Star Citizen's trying to be every game at once, yeah? And no other game can ever do anything better than Star Citizen. Therefore, there is no game anywhere that a citizen can allow himself to enjoy, because that would mean that it did something better than Star Citizen

I have a little chuckle about this every time I think of SC when I'm playing some other, working, fun video game

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

I think it's funny, actually. Star Citizen's trying to be every game at once, yeah? And no other game can ever do anything better than Star Citizen. Therefore, there is no game anywhere that a citizen can allow himself to enjoy, because that would mean that it did something better than Star Citizen

I have a little chuckle about this every time I think of SC when I'm playing some other, working, fun video game

I think what gets me about it is that the lie is so obvious. Chris has a history of this that's actually documented, not just hearsay. You can watch him doing the same thing for his entire career, note for note. It's all right here in front of us. They even let us download the code and try to run it. The lies are right out there, out in the open, CIG points to them and says "THIS IS THE BEST" and the lie just ... works?!? You can just point to a thing, say it's not that thing, and people will just roll over? It's like they're another species.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

I think what gets me about it is that the lie is so obvious. Chris has a history of this that's actually documented, not just hearsay. You can watch him doing the same thing for his entire career, note for note. It's all right here in front of us. They even let us download the code and try to run it. The lies are right out there, out in the open, CIG points to them and says "THIS IS THE BEST" and the lie just ... works?!? You can just point to a thing, say it's not that thing, and people will just roll over? It's like they're another species.

I don't know if you've been paying attention to America for the last 2 years but this is kind of a broad trend

---

How about that ship security?
https://gfycat.com/EducatedSnarlingIchthyosaurs

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
For old time's sake does anyone have one of the (really bad) graphs from like 2 years ago with the lines showing SC vs other games with "long" development time you can post?

2 years ago we were laughing about dev time! Man, I was bummed when the Ouya went out with a wet fart and the thread died but it was replaced with the gift that keeps on giving.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know if you've been paying attention to America for the last 2 years but this is kind of a broad trend

---

How about that ship security?
https://gfycat.com/EducatedSnarlingIchthyosaurs

Yeah, I don't like veering into political territory because it's a touchy subject for some, but it really is a very good parallel. It's the kind of thing where the only way we're going to ever snap out of it an a society is if enough children die walking in front of buses because someone in authority told them it was harmless. We really need a hardcore reboot of the "think for yourself" movement.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

teh_Broseph posted:

For old time's sake does anyone have one of the (really bad) graphs from like 2 years ago with the lines showing SC vs other games with "long" development time you can post?

2 years ago we were laughing about dev time! Man, I was bummed when the Ouya went out with a wet fart and the thread died but it was replaced with the gift that keeps on giving.

I only have the one I made, based on actual development times…

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say this but decided it was just too depressing. Anyway, how 'bout them video games?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Reading Sarsaparilla's post makes me wonder if getting the cheapest ship would be worth it just to see in person how hosed this game is.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

Reading Sarsaparilla's post makes me wonder if getting the cheapest ship would be worth it just to see in person how hosed this game is.
it's been said before: no

its better to let us dumb people stream it for you, because any and all enjoyment of loving around in this garbage universe is gone after about half a hour

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
like really the only reason I bought a game package was because people kept saying "BUT YOU DONT EVEN PLAY THE GAME HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS ISSUES" so I thought okay, fair enough

and really, the game is loving broken in almost any and every fundamental way and continues to be that way across every single loving "major" patch I've played the last 2 years

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

No. Honestly, the thing about Star Citizen is that yes it's broken and results in funny bugs, but honestly it's so loving boring 99% of the time, and so much work to even get to the parts where something funny might happen, that it's just not worth it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Like it's hard to really express how loving boring and aggressively unfun Star Citizen is, honestly.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Nope. Besides there's free fly weekends. There will prolly be another one along the ship sale value store event?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

the good poo poo

e- really thebulbasaurs response is amazing, im pretty sure the op is a goon running deep ops alpha tango bravo over niner deep charlie i am a go for tango

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
even merlin here didn't understand that the mustang has been and continued to be broken regarding "cargo" delivery missions since their inception and that even its rework continues to be broken

most backers have up their pretty ships they've spent a lot of money on and try to load them up with silly things or try and get 20 people into one as a "AH HA GOTCHA" moment when we say poo poo doesn't work and really their whole motivation is desperately trying to show off the "fun" of some of the most basic and broken mechanics I've ever seen in a multiplayer game

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Beet Goblin posted:

Like it's hard to really express how loving boring and aggressively unfun Star Citizen is, honestly.

If people really want to try this poo poo out, and can't be bothered to sit and wait for a free weekend, go !raffle whore on one of those idiots streams. Get gifted a package, and try to laugh while you mess with the soul crushing broken disaster that is the 'game'.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
seriously you could probably post something like "I want to show the goons how wrong they are" and get gifted a package

these people are desperate for any validation and, well, are pretty easy suckers when it comes to parting with their money

I could probably fleece hundreds of thousands from them if I put in the effort, but it seems like a lot of work for not a whole lot of return

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hell you had people going "I think BettysBigTits is a scam, but I still sent them some stuff just in case" and then you realize these are the people giving chris roberts $30m a year and it all starts to make loving sense how CIG has lasted this long

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

TheAgent posted:

seriously you could probably post something like "I want to show the goons how wrong they are" and get gifted a package

these people are desperate for any validation and, well, are pretty easy suckers when it comes to parting with their money

I could probably fleece hundreds of thousands from them if I put in the effort, but it seems like a lot of work for not a whole lot of return

I've been tempted to do that, but I can't even manage the effort to sign up for reddit. gently caress the whole project. Easier to just sit back and laugh.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

Hobold posted:

If people really want to try this poo poo out, and can't be bothered to sit and wait for a free weekend, go !raffle whore on one of those idiots streams. Get gifted a package, and try to laugh while you mess with the soul crushing broken disaster that is the 'game'.

This is a good plan. Get a grief mobile AND get a citizen to give more money to CIG. Do this.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

big nipples big life posted:

This is a good plan. Get a grief mobile AND get a citizen to give more money to CIG. Do this.

is this praxis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
@TheRealGremlich