Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
101. All contributors must always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect. The rules in the Initial Set are in effect whenever development begins. The Initial Set consists of rules 101-116 (immutable) and 201-203 (mutable).

102. Initially, rules in the 100's are immutable and rules in the 200's are mutable. Rules subsequently enacted or transmuted (ie, changed from immutable to mutable or vice versa) may be immutable or mutable regardless of their numbers, and rules in the Initial Set may be transmuted regardless of their numbers.

etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This code of conduct consists of all possible codes of conduct which do not contain themselves.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

poemdexter posted:

Fwd: fwd: fwd: code of conduct

I don't see Bill Gates donating $100.00 each time you forward this CoC. Sad. Fake.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

CPColin posted:

7. You must send this Code of Conduct to five people within the next thirteen days or you'll receive seven years of bad code!

Jokes on you, I'll get that anyway. :smug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

people are being really generous to Hipp, who is for sure being a giant jackass even if he is ~earnest~ about his beliefs.
but also for real, "I demand you take it down and issue a public apology" is some cask-strength white lady poo poo.

A giant jackass to whom? It's meaningless text on a website, not a binding contract

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
ZCZC COC
BCFIL TFFTU ZYGKW CDFFQ
NNNN

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

QuarkJets posted:

A giant jackass to whom? It's meaningless text on a website, not a binding contract

One can be a jackass intransitively.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I found a pretty good CoC elsewhere that we could use in SH/SC:

quote:

Imagine aWorld-where-allWealth is shared, not hoarded-owned-privatized!

VancouverFirstCityOnEarthToPermanentlyEndAllPoverty

CanYouComprehend theExtent

Corporate-Greed-Hoarding IS aDesparateInnerSchizophrenicInsanityImpoverishment

PleaseVoratiouslyResearch:

1.JohnLambLash:NotInHisImage-metaHistory.org Woke MeUp ReadsLikeMyBiography:Gaia/Sophia

2.AndrewMLobaczewski:PoliticalPonorology,

3.MichaelTsarion:IrishOriginsofCivilizationBk2:AckhenatonIII/
akaMosesNewWorldOrder,

4.KenPerkins:NeConfessionsofanEconomicHitMan, 5.LloydDemause:PsychoHistory.com ,

6.GeorgeKavassilas:OurUniversalJourney-TheSupremeCosmicDeception:Pineal-Chakra-

KundaliniMindMatrix] 7.BlackSpotMutiny.com

8.Montalk.net 9.WarInHeaven-TheInvisibleCollegeBookII:THEOCRATS

...Implodeing-Impoverishing-Stealing-Lieing EveryOnesWealth/Health/Wellness/Sanity/Generosity,

InsanelyThrowing"goodmoneyintoBad,

Reduceing-us-into-aBrainwashed-PoliticallyCorrectZombeeMonoculture".

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

The elephant in the room with these recent Code of Conduct debates is that they're really just another battleground of the greater Internet Culture Wars between liberals and conservatives. The CoCs themselves are generally more symbolic than practical.

Not counting the SQLite one. That one is straight up loony.

This is the first I've seen what are some others?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

101. Comply with the following rule
102. Do not comply with the previous rule.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Dirty Frank posted:

It's been somewhat going on for a couple years now. One notable example to me was this issue for Opal that called for one of the three primary developers of Opal to be kicked out for making transphobic comments on his personal twitter by someone who had never contributed to Opal. There was also the whole thing with an LLVM developer quitting over their CoC and the case of wanting to remove a Node.JS developer for his comments (he wasn't, but others quit because he wasn't) (source: https://www.businessinsider.com/programmers-debate-requirements-to-behave-respectfully-ccoc-2018-5).

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Doom Mathematic posted:

101. All contributors must always abide by all the rules then in effect, in the form in which they are then in effect. The rules in the Initial Set are in effect whenever development begins. The Initial Set consists of rules 101-116 (immutable) and 201-203 (mutable).

102. Initially, rules in the 100's are immutable and rules in the 200's are mutable. Rules subsequently enacted or transmuted (ie, changed from immutable to mutable or vice versa) may be immutable or mutable regardless of their numbers, and rules in the Initial Set may be transmuted regardless of their numbers.

etc.

Now I'm surprised that there isn't a programmatic nomic run entirely through github PRs. That I am aware of, anyhow.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

Now I'm surprised that there isn't a programmatic nomic run entirely through github PRs. That I am aware of, anyhow.

The GitHub organisation manages the source code of GitHub using GitHub, is that close enough?

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

Dirty Frank posted:

Master_Odin mentioned some notable ones, but the biggest recent one is the new Linux CoC.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Not a coc but there was also that licensing thing a while back where someone tried to rewrite their license so that their software couldn't be used by companies that had anything to do with microsoft.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Rubellavator posted:

Not a coc but there was also that licensing thing a while back where someone tried to rewrite their license so that their software couldn't be used by companies that had anything to do with microsoft.

And a goon kicked that dude and had to fight the PR flack.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rubellavator posted:

It was companies that did anything with ICE, and they neglected to include ICE itself on the list.
E: It was Lerna.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 25, 2018

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

QuarkJets posted:

A giant jackass to people who think that a CoC is a useful tool in the quest to not have the software development industry dominated entirely by giant jackasses.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jethro posted:

A giant jackass to people who think that a CoC is a useful tool in the quest to not have the software development industry dominated entirely by giant jackasses.

https://slashdot.org/poll/3103/what-do-you-make-of-programming-languages-and-open-source-organizations-adopting-a-code-of-conduct

I know, I know, it's a /. poll. But still. 34% think that one is needed. The rest .... meh.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

And a goon kicked that dude and had to fight the PR flack.

Was it the same goon who merged it in the first place?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
So people who haven't been driven out of the open source community by the type of behavior that Codes of Conduct would seek to limit largely don't think Codes of Conduct are necessary? Mind blown.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jethro posted:

You can't be a jackass to those kinds of people, it's impossible. Anything you do will be interpreted as jackassery

Do any of those people have any interest at all in being a SQLite developer? No?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jethro posted:

So people who haven't been driven out of the open source community by the type of behavior that Codes of Conduct would seek to limit largely don't think Codes of Conduct are necessary? Mind blown.

I'm still trying to figure out why these goal posts got moved so far to continue this poo poo for yet another page.

The original issue was theological demands in a Code of Conduct. I don't care about his beliefs and that guy can gently caress right off, but the irony of the last two or so pages being about CoCs promoting inclusivity is thick enough to choke on and hard enough to skim.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

sorry I am trying to reply to this but I can’t get my hand to stop doing the jerk off motion siri send post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

sorry I am trying to reply to this but I can’t get my hand to stop doing the jerk off motion siri send post

I didn't know you were sexually attracted to ducks

But then again my avatar is quite dapper

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

QuarkJets posted:

Do any of those people have any interest at all in being a SQLite developer? No?

The CoC applies not just to code contributors but to mailing lists and other spaces, so you can gently caress off with the "those people aren't even interested in contributing code" bullshit. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy! That family of attitudes themselves are part of the thing that pushes people away, that is, minimizing and trivializing the effort of people that just want people not to be assholes to each other so that everyone can be welcome to participate under the same rules.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

We really just want to make people be nicer and not be assholes to each other. And if you don't get in line and do exactly as we say, it's because you're a giant jackass who can gently caress right off.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

NihilCredo posted:

We really just want to make people be nicer and not be assholes to each other. And if you don't get in line and do exactly as we say, it's because you're a giant jackass who can gently caress right off.

This, but unironically.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

The CoC applies not just to code contributors but to mailing lists and other spaces, so you can gently caress off with the "those people aren't even interested in contributing code" bullshit. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy! That family of attitudes themselves are part of the thing that pushes people away, that is, minimizing and trivializing the effort of people that just want people not to be assholes to each other so that everyone can be welcome to participate under the same rules.

No, they made it very clear in the first update that those are the principles that the current developers are following, and that no one (not even the developers) is required to follow them.

To make that even more explicit, they've updated their CoC again to clarify that the Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines is the CoC that applies to the SQLite community. The list of items that everyone reacted to has been renamed the Code of Ethics and still says that no one is required to follow them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

To make that even more explicit, they've updated their CoC again to clarify that the Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines is the CoC that applies to the SQLite community. The list of items that everyone reacted to has been renamed the Code of Ethics and still says that no one is required to follow them.

In other words, they (kinda) listened to people's complaints on Twitter and fixed their poo poo. If we hadn't complained like the goon who you just quoted did (maybe without the swearing though), they'd still have that bullshit CoC up. Now they changed to a CoC that actually IS a CoC and can be followed as one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

In other words, they (kinda) listened to people's complaints on Twitter and fixed their poo poo. If we hadn't complained like the goon who you just quoted did (maybe without the swearing though), they'd still have that bullshit CoC up. Now they changed to a CoC that actually IS a CoC and can be followed as one.

No. Their COC already said that it wasn't mandatory for anyone at all, and that it just represented what the current developers generally followed, in their own lives. They removed it in response to people who were too busy being outraged to actually read the thing that they were outraged over

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

No. Their COC already said that it wasn't mandatory for anyone at all, and that it just represented what the current developers generally followed, in their own lives. They removed it in response to people who were too busy being outraged to actually read the thing that they were outraged over

Exactly, their CoC said "This is not a Code of Conduct at all in any normal meaning of 'Code of Conduct' but we're still gonna name it CoC because we don't know what the gently caress we're doing".

This has been remedied.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Exactly, their CoC said "This is not a Code of Conduct at all in any normal meaning of 'Code of Conduct' but we're still gonna name it CoC because we don't know what the gently caress we're doing".

This has been remedied.

True, Code of Conduct was a misnomer. But the complaints over this not-CoC being too exclusionary, of the kind that the goon I quoted was making, were stemming from not bothering to read it

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This has been remedied.

Actually what it said was "some of our customers want us to put a code of conduct up so here's one as proof that they don't care what it says as long as it exists"

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

QuarkJets posted:

No, they made it very clear in the first update that those are the principles that the current developers are following, and that no one (not even the developers) is required to follow them.

QuarkJets posted:

But the complaints over this not-CoC being too exclusionary, of the kind that the goon I quoted was making, were stemming from not bothering to read it

Did you read it?

They made it very clear in the first update that

quote:

[participants] in the SQLite Mailing Lists or other public forums are not required to follow this rule. However, comments posted on mailing lists or forums are expected to be courteous and professional, and should be worded as if they were written by someone who is a follower of this rule.

The text then goes on to rephrase the lengthy list and say "screw up and there will be consequences."

Directly after that linked update, they changed the section title containing that text to say "community" instead of "mailing lists." That was the only change to that document captured by archive.org until they adopted Mozilla's guidelines. Earlier versions contained similar wording as well.

The intent of that clause couldn't be any more clear: the CoC applies not just to developers, but to community interactions. To say that nobody is "required" to follow the rules relies on reading the individual words literally instead of the larger document as a whole. Further, including the community is how most CoCs, including the Mozilla one, are worded. I've never seen a CoC that applies only to developers.

Carbon dioxide posted:

In other words, they (kinda) listened to people's complaints on Twitter and fixed their poo poo. If we hadn't complained like the goon who you just quoted did (maybe without the swearing though), they'd still have that bullshit CoC up.

Correct. And yes, I'm very sweary about this topic and I make no apologies for it. The anti-CoC types are in every single goddamn programming community and they are so, so loving loud and whiny about it. I'm entirely unsurprised that there are some here, too, and unlike other places where I will be shouted down, I'm not afraid to talk about it here.

I'm going to have to go seek out reactions to adopting Mozilla's guidelines. Once the "I hate CoCs because in my mind all CoCs are the Community Covenant, the evil tainted document created by that SJW" crowd actually reads it, they're gonna flip their poo poo. The Mozilla guidelines push inclusion and specific social issues way, way harder than the Community Covenant.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

McGlockenshire posted:

Did you read it?

They made it very clear in the first update that

The text then goes on to rephrase the lengthy list and say "screw up and there will be consequences."

Directly after that linked update, they changed the section title containing that text to say "community" instead of "mailing lists." That was the only change to that document captured by archive.org until they adopted Mozilla's guidelines. Earlier versions contained similar wording as well.

The intent of that clause couldn't be any more clear: the CoC applies not just to developers, but to community interactions. To say that nobody is "required" to follow the rules relies on reading the individual words literally instead of the larger document as a whole. Further, including the community is how most CoCs, including the Mozilla one, are worded. I've never seen a CoC that applies only to developers.

Yup, I did read it. Like you quoted, it says "Participates in the SQLite Mailing Lists or other public forums are not required to follow this rule", confirming what I wrote in my post. You've given some reasons explaining why you don't want to believe that line, but what I wrote is true: that line was there. And I think that your reasons are based on misreading what was written. You read these two lines:

quote:

Participates in the SQLite Mailing Lists or other public forums are not required to follow this rule. However, comments posted on mailing lists or forums are expected to be courteous and professional, and should be worded as if they were written by someone who is a follower of this rule

and rather than assume that there would be consequences for failing to be courteous and professional, you assumed that there would be consequences for failing to follow the list of rules that those lines explicitly state that no one is expected to follow? It really seems like you're trying to find maliciousness by reading between the lines instead of just taking the words at face value.

Also, if anything, reading the rest of the document reinforces what I'm saying, and diminishes what you're saying.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 26, 2018

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
putting up rules then saying no one is bound by them is worse than not having rules at all

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Copying this from the Starcitizen thread.

FailureToReport posted:

... we just sort of screwed around out in the desert, at which point I was playing with the Sniper Rifle and noticed it didn't seem to have any drop. ... - so I told the guys I was with that I was going to run out at 100Meter increments to watch their tracers and see if there was any drop at the different ranges. 100M and nothing. 200M and.......wait......I can't see their tracers. They swear they are shooting at the same target. I stand infront of the target and never take a single hit. I notice I can only see the ship now and not the players. Did OCS unload them so now my client doesn't care about their shots? What? There are now three people shooting rifles at my name. Nothing, zero damage, that can't be right though. I scope in with my trusty Arrowhead Sniper on where they should be......I'm instantly dead from being shot after scoping in on their position renders their characters. Neat.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

That's not really a coding horror though? At least, it seems more like a deliberate and fairly sensible game balance decision and isn't unique to fart shitizen afaik.

Still better than CoC chat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

RichardA posted:

Copying this from the Starcitizen thread.

Wile E. Coyote walking off a cliff and then looking down and falling: the game