Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah stuff like exp and the penalties were hard coded into the game (and why a gently caress up caused halfings to get humans' xp bonus). i'm guessing all that is why it wasn't "fixed" for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
I've RMTed in a bunch of games. It just boils down to having more money than time. You have specific things you want to experience in the game, and grinding it out to get to those things can sometimes take dozens if not hundreds of hours. As someone else said, it makes a lot of sense to blow a couple hundred bucks and save yourself a grind that you have neither the time nor the desire to do.

Edit: An added bonus is that in my experience, once you get to experience the thing, you get sick of games and move on with your life, which alone is worth the $$.

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 17, 2018

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

P99's DX9 DLL is relatively benign. Basically just looks at the running processes and searches for browsers showing Redguides, ShowEQ, MacroQuest, etc. Facebook/Google are a lot more insidious depending on your opinions.

Rogean and the developers are also fairly benign - all of them have high-paying IT jobs (software dev, network ops, etc.) so there isn't much motivation to gently caress the server. Sirken and the current GM staff are more in it for social currency but don't seem to sell plat. Among the veteran female players, Sirken is known to be quite the creep and he uses his Twitch streams to lure women in. There were multiple women I've spoken to in Rampage/AW/Tempest that were hit on/"harassed" by Sirken.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

faulteroy posted:

P99's DX9 DLL is relatively benign. Basically just looks at the running processes and searches for browsers showing Redguides, ShowEQ, MacroQuest, etc. Facebook/Google are a lot more insidious depending on your opinions.

Rogean and the developers are also fairly benign - all of them have high-paying IT jobs (software dev, network ops, etc.) so there isn't much motivation to gently caress the server. Sirken and the current GM staff are more in it for social currency but don't seem to sell plat. Among the veteran female players, Sirken is known to be quite the creep and he uses his Twitch streams to lure women in. There were multiple women I've spoken to in Rampage/AW/Tempest that were hit on/"harassed" by Sirken.

It does not do that. Full stop.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

shirunei posted:

It does not do that. Full stop.

I'm close to absolutely certain it looks at browser tab and window names. I've heard that in far too many places over the years I played on p99.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The claim that I read was that it doesn't see anything at all on a system unless it touches the same memory space as the EQ client, but I'm not this sort of software developer and know basically nothing about it and have no way of measuring the likelihood of that statement.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

gepgepgep posted:

I'm close to absolutely certain it looks at browser tab and window names. I've heard that in far too many places over the years I played on p99.

Unless rogean is a liar it only looks at things that interact with the EQ client.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
This is always how I've thought about it: If you don't trust the P99 devs enough to largely believe them about their explicitly "could be doing bad poo poo in your computer" game files, then you shouldn't load said game files onto your computer to play.

Anyone who does so and then gets all conspiracy theory about web browsers with redguides or bank info or whatever else is full of poo poo - if they really believed what they were saying they would uninstall. Again, I've never heard of anyone talk about it except in the context of in-game P99 stuff being taken away - no one has ever gotten loud about actual RL ID/money/etc. theft going down.

All that said, I know a lot of the web browser rumors got started and passed around by people who got burned for various reasons and assumed the only way it could happen was if Braknar or whoever was getting fed info from malware. They're wrong. The senior guide RMT hunters on staff simply have access to shitloads of info about trades, IP addresses, and login habits in the database (including deleted characters and accounts) and people who get caught are typically eager to gently caress anyone else they've run into on redguides etc. out of a belated and vengeful sense of justice. If you're willing to be a patient and dilligent unpaid ultra nerd CSR person, it's not that hard to track people down once you have a lead or two.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
So I got my wizard to 34 and the lack of Jboots is killing me (literally). I never got them on Live, but the last few nights I've been checking SRo during the night time and often the zone is completely empty. Is attempting to camp the AC myself a fool's errand, what with the MQ cartel?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

frest posted:

So I got my wizard to 34 and the lack of Jboots is killing me (literally). I never got them on Live, but the last few nights I've been checking SRo during the night time and often the zone is completely empty. Is attempting to camp the AC myself a fool's errand, what with the MQ cartel?

You'll get beat by trackers but if you can kill it after engaging, go ahead and try. Might get lucky

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

frest posted:

Unless you play at weird times on weekdays, you will not see an AC up after its spawn time, and even then rarely so. People corpse the rings in FP/EC and there is always a market for jboots so don't count on just happening upon him.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

Do a /who in zone at 9pm game time and you'll see a bunch of ratsdruids swarm in thank you druid warp port.

They summon their bear pet, give it spirit of scale, and spam a macro consisting of "/pet attack an_ancient" and "/target an_ancient" while running around the desert like insane rats.

They only stick around for the first cycle and leave to infest the rest of the world

It is possible to go through the night cycle a few more times after the initial blight of druids. I think 3 maybe 4 times if you really are on top of killing the PHs.

Kill any male barbarian dervish (the only model "A Dervish Cutthroat" can take), "a mummy" (not crypt), "a desert madman" (this sucks since while the number is reduced during the night there are still a lot), and any sand giant (including the named one) and 30.6 minutes later you get another spawn.

In conclusion.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkk druids

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Yeah this is basically what I expected to hear, thank you for the dose of reality. I moved my bind to S Ro, I'll pop in while doing other stuff and try to give it a shot but I'm not super optimistic.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

frest posted:

Yeah this is basically what I expected to hear, thank you for the dose of reality. I moved my bind to S Ro, I'll pop in while doing other stuff and try to give it a shot but I'm not super optimistic.

You can buy tboots in sola for 5k or less. Not as nice as jboots, because you have to stand still to cast.

Or buy sow potions.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Those tboots are trash. Never buy tboots. Hell, the server is so saturated with jboots you can sometimes get jboots for 5k. In conclusion, gently caress tboots.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

frest posted:

Why not try to just straight up camp it in OOT

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

ROGEAN IS PLATLORD

:hmmyes:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
lol buying tboots

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I'm still buying goon mains who reach level 41 Jboots. So uh, use sow potions until then and never buy tboots because lol, tboots

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm gonna login and buy some tboots.

*waits for all the quality posts to ensue*

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

moolchaba posted:

I'm gonna login and buy some tboots.

*waits for all the quality posts to ensue*

spai

also goon rezbot is done. bitch on discord if you are level 2 and fall off kaladim splat.

shirunei fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 22, 2018

Foil
Apr 19, 2006
Now with more paranoia
My monk just hit level 44 and I feel like I should start saving for a fungi tunic. Anyone have any camps a moderately okay geared Monk can solo for some quick cash to start this off? I use a Peacebringer, have a haste item, and am in mixed newb gear and Black Pantherskin armor, so I feel like i am a bit ahead of the curve.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Foil posted:

My monk just hit level 44 and I feel like I should start saving for a fungi tunic. Anyone have any camps a moderately okay geared Monk can solo for some quick cash to start this off? I use a Peacebringer, have a haste item, and am in mixed newb gear and Black Pantherskin armor, so I feel like i am a bit ahead of the curve.

City guards probably. Oggok if Human, Kaladim if Iksar, potentially Paineel for either.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

My game account was banned last month after I called Sirken a snowflake in RNF on an alt-forum account.

I petitioned and have not yet heard anything for 4+ weeks.

Literally banned me from playing my characters created in 2009 because of hurt feelings in RNF.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Seems like he proved your point.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

khysanth posted:

My game account was banned last month after I called Sirken a snowflake in RNF on an alt-forum account.

I petitioned and have not yet heard anything for 4+ weeks.

Literally banned me from playing my characters created in 2009 because of hurt feelings in RNF.

Why is it when I tell the IRCop to gently caress off I get d-lines???

Just don't be a jerk about it and especially don't be a jerk to the people in control of the server or forums. This is applicable everywhere .

Sorry, but this was on you. Lowtax can ban you for no reason at all beyond today is cloudy. It's the best type of admin imo.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

EVIL Gibson posted:

Just don't be a jerk about it and especially don't be a jerk to the people in control of the server or forums. This is applicable everywhere .

Sorry, but this was on you. Lowtax can ban you for no reason at all beyond today is cloudy. It's the best type of admin imo.

Meh. Game bans for forum infractions are pretty new. I think this was the first wave of that ever happening. Pretty petulant behavior.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

EVIL Gibson posted:

mmm, boot tastes good!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

:yikes:

sandball
Jan 6, 2006

please knock Mom! posted:

mmm, boot tastes good!

not an empty quote

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Not that 'avoid challenging the manchildren running the private server' is bad advice. But a community of sycophants and people afraid to say anything is not great.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solarin posted:

Not that 'avoid challenging the manchildren running the private server' is bad advice. But a community of sycophants and people afraid to say anything is not great.

I find removing oneself from forums where drama lives to be good. I only go there when I want to read about guild leaders straight up lying on video about snatching rogue epic book to sell the MQ of.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
on one hand, it's dumb to prod a tiger with a stick until it mauls you

on the other hand, its really dumb to let a tiger run your customer service department

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

mmm, jboots taste good!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

This is always how I've thought about it: If you don't trust the P99 devs enough to largely believe them about their explicitly "could be doing bad poo poo in your computer" game files, then you shouldn't load said game files onto your computer to play.

Anyone who does so and then gets all conspiracy theory about web browsers with redguides or bank info or whatever else is full of poo poo - if they really believed what they were saying they would uninstall. Again, I've never heard of anyone talk about it except in the context of in-game P99 stuff being taken away - no one has ever gotten loud about actual RL ID/money/etc. theft going down.

All that said, I know a lot of the web browser rumors got started and passed around by people who got burned for various reasons and assumed the only way it could happen was if Braknar or whoever was getting fed info from malware. They're wrong. The senior guide RMT hunters on staff simply have access to shitloads of info about trades, IP addresses, and login habits in the database (including deleted characters and accounts) and people who get caught are typically eager to gently caress anyone else they've run into on redguides etc. out of a belated and vengeful sense of justice. If you're willing to be a patient and dilligent unpaid ultra nerd CSR person, it's not that hard to track people down once you have a lead or two.

Uh, its not conspiracy theory poo poo though when Blizzard literally does that.

So seems pretty reasonable to talk about it to me, even if the conclusion is "well seems like it isn't doing that right now"

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

EVIL Gibson posted:

I find removing oneself from forums where drama lives to be good. I only go there when I want to read about guild leaders straight up lying on video about snatching rogue epic book to sell the MQ of.

book not up

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Herv posted:

book not up

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

Herv posted:

book not up

For those not in the know: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309421

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bind sight is the best ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Solarin posted:

Bind sight is the best ability

I remember bind sight on a frog from the bottom of seb and targeting and moving my sight from frog to frog to golem to golem to eventually tolupjum