Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I finally decided to start building a position on AMC and suddenly out of nowhere it's down 8%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
It's not just you, things are bad this month.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Something Offal posted:

When people talk this kind of rhetoric, like you, are you also referring to long-term savings like retirement being moved out of stocks, or is it strictly your market money? Just learning!

My market money.

Retirement stays in index funds. Emergency fund stays in laddered CDs.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Xae posted:

My market money.

Retirement stays in index funds. Emergency fund stays in laddered CDs.

Does a laddered CD setup actually return more than a high yield savings? You have to go at least 1 year out for a CD to be slightly higher than savings yields. At that point its not really emergency funds any more.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
trade wars are good, and easy to win

no this isn't deja vu

edit: lol at chinese and russian stocks going up though

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 24, 2018

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

hostile apostle posted:

Does a laddered CD setup actually return more than a high yield savings? You have to go at least 1 year out for a CD to be slightly higher than savings yields. At that point its not really emergency funds any more.

That's the point of the ladder, cds mature each month and then can be used for emergency expenses or you can buy more CDs. I said before that it's more complicated and you're only getting marginally better yield than savings, but if it's done correctly it can be both.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
adding some MU and some JD, wow some stuff is getting cheap

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I am the grim spectre of bear markets!

Post "stay safe grim spectre" to limit losses from imminent recession!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

hostile apostle posted:

Barely.

Fidelity makes laddering pretty easy and once you get past the initial year of staggering them you can get the higher interest rates. I do quarterly because monthly is :effort:.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

lmao TSLA just loving crushing shorts over and over again

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
The power of anime got TSLA through some dark times.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1051389235406598144

Edit: Holy poo poo AMD jumped into it's advanced money destroy mecha too

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Bought a bunch of qqq weeklies into the close, keep the dream alive

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Syrinxx posted:

lmao TSLA just loving crushing shorts over and over again

Fraud is not long term sustainable...

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Lmao AMD holy poo poo what a ride that was

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Oh I wouldn't touch TSLA with a 10 foot pole, I just like seeing their short sellers get destroyed by crazy weed smoking securities fraud flamethrower guy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Lmao AMD holy poo poo what a ride that was

That fuckin' expectation game.

Where 8% YOY is bad somehow.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dammit I almost went long TSLA vol mid-afternoon.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Syrinxx posted:

Oh I wouldn't touch TSLA with a 10 foot pole, I just like seeing their short sellers get destroyed by crazy weed smoking securities fraud flamethrower guy.

Shrug. Oh well.

Couple of crazy things drop out of earnings. Accounts payable is up to $3.6 billion. They spent 10% less on operating expenses and 4% less on SG&A and produced/delivered 75% more cars than Q2. Also inventory went down.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Xae posted:

That fuckin' expectation game.

Where 8% YOY is bad somehow.

Really?

A cyclical second fiddle semi company trading at 36x earnings but only growing 10%?

If you were long the stock the expectations game has already given you plenty of favors.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Amd looking like a buy after that correction :stare:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Risky Bisquick posted:

Amd looking like a buy after that correction :stare:

As someone who loved AMD enough to buy and overclock an Athlon back in 2000, it can always go lower.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

fougera posted:

Really?

A cyclical second fiddle semi company trading at 36x earnings but only growing 10%?

If you were long the stock the expectations game has already given you plenty of favors.

I sold off my AMD earlier in the year.

But dropping 30% because you "only" projected 8% YOY growth is asinine.

How much they are a second fiddle is up for debate as long as Intel keeps screwing up their 10nm process. Regardless of anything else AMD has one of three licenses to produce x86 processors. Other than Intel Cyrix is the only player left and they are at least a decade behind.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cyrix still exists? There's a name I've not heard since the 486 was hot poo poo

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Cyrix still exists? There's a name I've not heard since the 486 was hot poo poo

It was purchased by VIA, merged with Centuar, and its license is somewhere in a not-entirely-transparent Chinese plastics conglomerate. If my memory serves.

It pops up sometimes in conspiracy circles that "The Chinese" are working on building their own x86 chips.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Xae posted:

It was purchased by VIA, merged with Centuar, and its license is somewhere in a not-entirely-transparent Chinese plastics conglomerate. If my memory serves.

It pops up sometimes in conspiracy circles that "The Chinese" are working on building their own x86 chips.

No rumor, the chips are very real, just not sold outside China

https://hothardware.com/news/zhaoxin-kaixian-kx-6000-x86-cpu

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lote posted:

As someone who loved AMD enough to buy and overclock an Athlon back in 2000, it can always go lower.
The Athlon Thunderbird was loving awesome, especially with the pencil trick.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Sold out of all my qqq calls, dat bounce

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya I am in the same boat as everyone. All my longs got crushed so you are not alone. Thank god I did reduce my position at the start of October.

Also I really don't see AMD going to the below 10 bucks days anymore. There seems to be a massive change of consensus going right now especially after the I9 9900k release by Intel which was utterly botched and barely an upgrade over Ryzen 2.

I do think tech stocks are going through a massive correction but they also have the largest potential for a bounceback if the market doesn't go straight into bear market.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ulio posted:

I do think tech stocks are going through a massive correction but they also have the largest potential for a bounceback if the market doesn't go straight into bear market.

:same:

Half my annual gains have disappeared this month, and I am heavy tech.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

LLCoolJD posted:

:same:

Half my annual gains have disappeared this month, and I am heavy tech.

Same but manufacturing. I'm a whore for value dividends.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Bought a bunch of QQQ weekly puts now, gently caress this thing

Business
Feb 6, 2007

greasyhands posted:

Bought a bunch of QQQ weekly puts now, gently caress this thing

if you're interested in elaborating, what's the idea behind weekly/daily options trades on things like SPY and QQQ? I see people talking about them a lot and I don't really understand it

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Business posted:

if you're interested in elaborating, what's the idea behind weekly/daily options trades on things like SPY and QQQ? I see people talking about them a lot and I don't really understand it

Its just high stakes big loss/return plays. If things dont move in the direction of your trade pretty quickly, you can lose it all real quick. Conversely, if they do move in your direction you can make a mint.

I've had a few 300%+ one day plays in the last month. I also had a bunch of wipe outs a few months back when I was early on predicting a tech selloff (when GS came out with a $490 target on NFLX and Musk tweeted he had funding secured... poo poo got pretty squirrely right at the top) I only do it when theres huge market moves, which there have been a lot lately. I bought into a bunch of calls right at the close yesterday, becasue when the market goes down over 3% without any kind of big time news supporting the drop, it nearly always bounces the following day. I made a lot on that trade, now I feel like its bounced a bit much and am buying puts on QQQ- I'd like to see QQQ end the day up 1.5-2% That will be a nicely profitable trade for me.

edit: vvvv--- calls yesterday were 167 and the puts today are 171, I usually do the closest strike slightly OTM but my puts are slightly ITM.. I dont buy options way in or out, but I do like selling deep ITM calls on really crazy poo poo like TLRY

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 25, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What strike prices are you going for with these plays?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Nice. I bought QQQ 170s for $1 and traded them out for INTC calls this morning. Weekly puts seem exactly as risky rn though. :f5:

It's because I regret being cheap on a $25 AMD butterfly that didn't fill. Lol

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 25, 2018

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Think it may be entry time for AMD, that market reaction was completely panicked and dumb

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
AMD has about 1/4th the operating margin of INTC, but is priced at the same P/S. AMD was ludicrous in the mid 20s, let alone the 30s, and its still a pretty expensive stock relative to its much better competitor. Just because its way down doesnt mean its cheap, it just means its meme'd out

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
This markets inability to sell convincingly is amazing. Companies are missing left and right and no one cares. theres not even any volume, it just sells off on huge volume then just grinds right back up on small volume

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 25, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There are just too many solvent traders out there, it's patiently outlasting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Completely out of QQQ puts 3 mins after close, monster gains that was excruciating. I added into that runup all afternoon and it never relented jesus christ i need a drink

edit: lmao now it fully dumps, this game is so rigged

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 25, 2018