Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is, incidentally, part of why Guyovich decided to permit some level of USPOLchat in Trump thread

I made a good faith effort to participate in this one and can almost guarantee that reports by and against me for shitposting, of various levels of validity, were small but nonzero contributors to him retracting his "let's make USPOL the only general USPOL allowed thread" policy.

2020 Primary Thread has actually gone pretty well though so far, all things considered.

What the hell is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

The Centre Party in Weimar Germany voted to give Hitler the power to ban political parties because they thought once the Social Democrats and Communists were outlawed the Centre would get all the votes.

Of course they weren't stupid, they demanded a written promise from Hitler that he wouldn't use his new powers to ban them too. Hitler agreed but right before the vote he said the promise was still being typed up just now but could they vote anyway and they'll get the written promise later. Perfectly reasonable of course.

They never got it.

The Centre Party was banned within a few months.

The chairman of the Centre Party, Ludwig Kaas, who was responsible for all this simply left the country for a nice job at the Vatican (he was a priest) and lived out his life in comfort while the Nazis murdered the helpless.

So you see Radish, the political class's belief that they won't personally suffer for enabling fascists no matter how dangerous they may become is 100% correct.

While it's true for that guy, a lot of the Centre leaders didn't make it through the night of long knives. I guess every Democrat believes they are a Kaas who is allowed to leave and not the people left behind to get killed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Radish posted:

Apparently Cruz is ripping off Trump's greatest hits and saying we need to lock Beto up at his lame rally but yeah it's the voters that are the problem.

I can get the Democrats being aristocrats that don't care about the public but you'd think they might get somewhat nervous when the party that is quite explicitly ok with killing people they consider unpleasant starts literally saying they personally need to be jailed without due process. I think that's what's most pathetic about the Democrats; the Republicans are calling them traitors and criminals and then the Dems have to run to the media not to defend themselves but do damage control for their own aggressors and say Republicans are actually good. Even controlled opposition is supposed to pretend to be opposition, I have no idea what the hell they are.

I know they are smugly thinking it won't get that far but they would probably be wrong.

They think it's all a game. They think that the GOP leaders, at least, are just saying that poo poo to get elected and have no intention of actually doing it. Don't forget Hillary with her "public position" and "private position" remarks. And so far, "lock her up" hasn't amounted to anything, so they're probably thinking that they were right and that Trump never had any intention of actually doing it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a paranoid old man, but I'm genuinely fearful of what the Republicans might do if the Democrats do well this election.

Trump has already been working on de-legitimizing any election he doesn't win, and the Republicans are very, very clearly along for the ride on whatever he wants to do. It's loving terrifying.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like a paranoid old man, but I'm genuinely fearful of what the Republicans might do if the Democrats do well this election.

Trump has already been working on de-legitimizing any election he doesn't win, and the Republicans are very, very clearly along for the ride on whatever he wants to do. It's loving terrifying.

It's not like the Dems have exactly been graceful losers. It's kind of rich to worry about the other side delegitimizing elections when the Dems are insisting the election was rigged by the Russians, which is just the latest in a long line of hairbrained schemes to dethrone a fairly elected president.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not like the Dems have exactly been graceful losers. It's kind of rich to worry about the other side delegitimizing elections when the Dems are insisting the election was rigged by the Russians, which is just the latest in a long line of hairbrained schemes to dethrone a fairly elected president.

I mean Donald Trump isn’t a fairly elected president, but that has more to do with the Electoral College than the Russian government.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

Sounds like those guys could use a little more decorum

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Flavahbeast posted:

Sounds like those guys could use a little more decorum

more like they should stop cooking up half-baked conspiracy theories to explain their losses, and actually try to connect with voters instead

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i mean, dems could probably continue with their "russia hacked the minds of the populace" bs, but they should at least be consistent when they are doing it. saying trump's a russian stooge and then voting to give him more surveillance power, more money to fight whatever wars he wants, and offering to build his wall is just really dissonant

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

more like they should stop cooking up half-baked conspiracy theories to explain their losses, and actually try to connect with voters instead

All they have to do is vote for the Democrats and they’ll see that the party apparatus will finally notice them!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Unfortunately the Dem leadership is boomers and they are absolutely unable to see the reality of the modern world, it's eternally 1979 and the drat taxes are too high!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Condiv posted:

Is it really a conspiracy theory at this point?

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/966457373111005184

Obviously it's not the only reason Trump won, and I think it's crass to blame Russia as a whole when most of them couldn't care less about US politics, but there are absolutely people in the Russian adminstration who are working to bolster right wing groups in the US and elsewhere. It's not nothing

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

I’m much more fearful of what they would do if the Dems don’t do well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Kingfish posted:

I’m much more fearful of what they would do if the Dems don’t do well.

The ultimate nightmare scenario is that Dems do well but fail to govern, again.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’m fully expecting Ted Cruz to defeat Beto and the media cycle getting distracted about this for 3 months while whoever controls the house deregulated more and cuts more taxes.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flavahbeast posted:

Obviously it's not the only reason Trump won, and I think it's crass to blame Russia as a whole when most of them couldn't care less about US politics, but there are absolutely people in the Russian adminstration who are working to bolster right wing groups in the US and elsewhere. It's not nothing

The problem, by my estimation, is not that it’s nothing or that Trump isn’t in bed with the Russian mob at bare minimum. It’s something and he manifestly is, everyone in real estate at his level is.

It’s that the way it’s contextualized and deployed as an attack is deflective and used to further a milquetoast liberal agenda of “Trump is uniquely bad and an Other” rather than any kind of systemic leftist critique.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The ultimate nightmare scenario is that Dems do well but fail to govern, again.

Honestly all they have to do in the House is NOT work with Trump to do any stupid austerity bullshit for two years and get their names in "Pelosi voted to SLASH YOUR MEDICARE!!" attack ads that aren't lying but they are stupid as hell so I figure they can't help themselves.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Frightening Knight posted:

The problem, by my estimation, is not that it’s nothing or that Trump isn’t in bed with the Russian mob at bare minimum. It’s something and he manifestly is, everyone in real estate at his level is.

It’s that the way it’s contextualized and deployed as an attack is deflective and used to further a milquetoast liberal agenda of “Trump is uniquely bad and an Other” rather than any kind of systemic leftist critique.

America doesn’t have a left wing large enough to truly challenge the economic status quo. Anyone serious about that stuff gets drowned out by the cavalcade of pussy hats and whatever other flavour of IDpol is in vogue this month. It’s embarassing honestly.

All I’ve ever wanted was a uniform power bloc of people with a list of demands and strict organization the way the republicans fall into line behind trump. Instead we bicker amongst ourselves about our favourite pronoun when we have been losing (have lost) the class struggle for 40 years. What do I get instead? Elizabeth Warren talking about her DNA tests to prove native ancestry. Are you serious? She’s as white as snow. The entire thing is loving ridiculous and a sign of how tone deaf and privileged the American elites are that they can claim solidarity with an oppressed group on the basis of some trace DNA diluted by many generations of whiteness.

If we trace our origins far back enough we’re all from Africa. JFC.

What’s it gonna take before this country smartens up and gives us another Roosevelt? When are we gonna break up these robber baron tech monopolies? At this point it seems the eventual heat death or the universe will happen sooner than a true left wing class struggle to restore what we have lost since the 70s.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

trump likely wins without the russian poo poo which is why the hyper focus on it bugs me. they couldn’t have done what they did if our media wasn’t so useless and had created an environment where fake news could flourish.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Flavahbeast posted:

Is it really a conspiracy theory at this point?

when you have people screaming "russian bot!!" at everyone they disagree with without the slightest shred of evidence, ya you've delved into conspiracy theory territory

quote:

everything we've seen points to it being nowhere near why trump won. the most obvious reasons trump won are related to clinton and her actions during the election, but russia is a convenient prop to distract from that and how worthless the dems are so people buy into that conspiracy theory

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kraftwerk posted:

Anyone serious about that stuff gets drowned out by the cavalcade of pussy hats and whatever other flavour of IDpol is in vogue this month. It’s embarassing honestly.

I don’t think it’s pussy hats or identity politics that are suppressing the left, friend, I think it’s the billions of dollars of donor money.

But also I think recent left-wing organizing is encouraging, even if also not happening fast enough in relation to global warming.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the state of the left has less to do with "favorite pronouns" (gently caress you) and more to do with how any threat to capitalism is systematically targeted by the media, political and policing forces of the ruling elite

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Stexils posted:

the state of the left has less to do with "favorite pronouns" (gently caress you) and more to do with how any threat to capitalism is systematically targeted by the media, political and policing forces of the ruling elite

So how do you win hearts and minds?

I’ve battled conservatives on Facebook, in real life all the time and when it comes to economic debate I’ve realized that you can’t “out-logic” them.

A conservative is a conservative because their moral foundation believes the poor and unskilled deserves to be that way and that poverty is punishment or motivation to become more skilled or better. You can’t beat this argument because it’s circular logic. If he worked hard for a 15 dollar wage and now that’s the new minimum wage they feel that’s unfair because someone else doesn’t need to work as hard as they did to get promoted there. So what do you do? How do you win them over?

This is a society born from the Protestant work ethic. That’s a difficult thing to overcome. It’s super frustrating because every debate breaks down to that core idea that only those who work hard and produce have value. That if you get a benefit that didn’t previously exist and you had to work for is immoral because someone else worked for it. There’s a just world fallacy hidden in there and you’d need some major resources and social engineering only accessible to the rich to change people from this mindset.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kraftwerk posted:

So how do you win hearts and minds?

I’ve battled conservatives on Facebook, in real life all the time and when it comes to economic debate I’ve realized that you can’t “out-logic” them.

A conservative is a conservative because their moral foundation believes the poor and unskilled deserves to be that way and that poverty is punishment or motivation to become more skilled or better. You can’t beat this argument because it’s circular logic. If he worked hard for a 15 dollar wage and now that’s the new minimum wage they feel that’s unfair because someone else doesn’t need to work as hard as they did to get promoted there. So what do you do? How do you win them over?

This is a society born from the Protestant work ethic. That’s a difficult thing to overcome. It’s super frustrating because every debate breaks down to that core idea that only those who work hard and produce have value. That if you get a benefit that didn’t previously exist and you had to work for is immoral because someone else worked for it. There’s a just world fallacy hidden in there and you’d need some major resources and social engineering only accessible to the rich to change people from this mindset.

There is one tactic that works but it doesn't work online: direct personal experience with the underprivileged. This is why a lot of WASPY elite schools used to require service work as a condition of graduation. Do a year working with prisoners or in homeless shelters etc. and their minds will change. This is why the gay marriage issue flipped so fast: everyone came out of the closet and a statistically determinative chunk of the bigots realized they had direct personal friends who were gay.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

you dont win over conservatives, you win over everyone who isnt one. you also dont throw trans allies under the bus by telling them their issues dont matter.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the thing about consevatism is its not inherently a popular ideology, its only widespread through massive propoganda networks and disenfranchisement and even then can only get the support of 35 percent of the population, because it doesnt actually benefit anyone but the rich and bigots. you dont need the support of every fox news grandpa because they are outnumbered by the people who respond when you appeal to their direct material interests.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you don't really "win over" anyone. there are way more left or left-leaning people - you have to get them out to vote. it's a pure numbers game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Frightening Knight posted:

I don’t think it’s pussy hats or identity politics that are suppressing the left, friend, I think it’s the billions of dollars of donor money.

I think it's more that stuff like the pussy hats and "identity politics" just isn't blocked because it doesn't really threaten those with power/wealth. Obviously you still have wealthy people who are bigoted, but ethnic/gender minorities don't inherently threaten anyone's wealth so it's not something that really characterizes the wealthy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's more that stuff like the pussy hats and "identity politics" just isn't blocked because it doesn't really threaten those with power/wealth. Obviously you still have wealthy people who are bigoted, but ethnic/gender minorities don't inherently threaten anyone's wealth so it's not something that really characterizes the wealthy.

I mean, yes, there is a place for criticism of neoliberal identity politics and tokenism. But I just felt that the way it was framed in that post was snide and unnecessarily hostile to minority issues. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There is one tactic that works but it doesn't work online: direct personal experience with the underprivileged. This is why a lot of WASPY elite schools used to require service work as a condition of graduation. Do a year working with prisoners or in homeless shelters etc. and their minds will change. This is why the gay marriage issue flipped so fast: everyone came out of the closet and a statistically determinative chunk of the bigots realized they had direct personal friends who were gay.

Yeah, and I’ve had decent luck throwing Democrats under the bus (as they deserve) and talking to people about the real poo poo in their lives. Almost everyone has either an rear end in a top hat boss, blood-sucking landlord, or family member who is slowly dying from lack of healthcare. Commiserate about that poo poo in a way that gets in touch with their barely-suppressed anger, redirect that at the rich, and don’t talk down to people. Works better than I would have expected it to...

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

you don't really "win over" anyone. there are way more left or left-leaning people - you have to get them out to vote. it's a pure numbers game.

this isn't per se true, radicalization exists

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Kobayashi posted:

Yeah, and I’ve had decent luck throwing Democrats under the bus (as they deserve) and talking to people about the real poo poo in their lives. Almost everyone has either an rear end in a top hat boss, blood-sucking landlord, or family member who is slowly dying from lack of healthcare. Commiserate about that poo poo in a way that gets in touch with their barely-suppressed anger, redirect that at the rich, and don’t talk down to people. Works better than I would have expected it to...

Ok on second thought I changed my mind.
It’s not the left doubling down on IDPol. It’s the right. Because I know someone who could directly benefit from left wing policies. When I frame the argument in his context he thinks he can always get a better job than the one he has and he hits this almost delusional cognitive dissonance when he does get shafted by a right wing policy. When I propose universal healthcare for example he will oppose it on the basis of it being a bad idea in the American context. In other words he thinks it’s fine in countries with more homogenous populations. His reason for opposing it in america is that it could potentially lead to tax money being “wasted” on minorities and illegals accessing the healthcare system and raising his taxes.

In other words in his eyes he’d rather let someone who isn’t him and his direct family die of cancer just to stick it to trans people looking to get hormone therapy or to deny care to someone crossing the border to get healthcare.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah when people are denied local communities and relationships it's really easy for them to fall into nationalism

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the right has always stoked up racism / nationalism / homophobia to sell itself to people who arent rich, this is by no means a recent development

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kraftwerk posted:

Ok on second thought I changed my mind.
It’s not the left doubling down on IDPol. It’s the right. Because I know someone who could directly benefit from left wing policies. When I frame the argument in his context he thinks he can always get a better job than the one he has and he hits this almost delusional cognitive dissonance when he does get shafted by a right wing policy. When I propose universal healthcare for example he will oppose it on the basis of it being a bad idea in the American context. In other words he thinks it’s fine in countries with more homogenous populations. His reason for opposing it in america is that it could potentially lead to tax money being “wasted” on minorities and illegals accessing the healthcare system and raising his taxes.

In other words in his eyes he’d rather let someone who isn’t him and his direct family die of cancer just to stick it to trans people looking to get hormone therapy or to deny care to someone crossing the border to get healthcare.

Yeah idk what to do about the racists I know either. Right now I mentally file them as irredeemable, ignore their bullshit entirely, and try to spend my time talking to other people.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Centrist Democrats pump up idpol because they know it will get rich urbanites who have already got theirs to vote for them, even as they turn around and gently caress minorities, the poor, and rural voters.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Centrist Democrats pump up idpol because they know it will get rich urbanites who have already got theirs to vote for them, even as they turn around and gently caress minorities, the poor, and rural voters.

Well, the small town poor and rural voters wouldn't vote for Democrats anyways, because Democrats won't promise to magically bring back factories and coal, and that is all they want to hear.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1055161013828546561

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, the small town poor and rural voters wouldn't vote for Democrats anyways, because Democrats won't promise to magically bring back factories and coal, and that is all they want to hear.

Well, I think a lot of them, more broadly, want jobs, and decent ones, like they had when unions existed and overwhelmingly supported democrats, and which no longer exist in part because of centrist Dems selling out unions and workers in favor of the professional class and finance sectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also "go to this school you get a tax break to attend to do something you hate and MAYBE you can get a job if the specific industry comes to your area and the market doesn't become over saturated" is not the same as actually offering jobs.

• Locked thread