Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Prester, I love you and everything but your toxx is pretty dumb.

https://twitter.com/Andy_Truc/status/1055191265757716481?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

jojoinnit posted:

A police shooting?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/1055115965455839233

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

economics as a discipline also suffers from liberal arts college students who struggle with algebra being taught a super dumbed down version that doesn't require any math more complex than straight lines interacting in econ 101, not getting beyond that, and thinking the dumbed down version is the real version.

if you happen to actually be good at math and want some free As in college, take some econ classes with the liberal arts students. just make sure all of the grade is in the exams and not class participation.

the added note on this is that real econ is just a whole shitload of math formulas, statistics and proofs but that doesn't end up getting taught unless you get a Masters or above or are very lucky and have a very good undergrad department.

I got both a math and econ degree and my department was very into teaching "real" econ once you got into the mid to upper level classes so I think I avoided a lot of the mental traps.

I made a bunch of big effort posts about the ideological failures of econ a week? two weeks? ago itt.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Prester, I love you and everything but your toxx is pretty dumb.

https://twitter.com/Andy_Truc/status/1055191265757716481?s=19

Well, hey, at least we found Car 54?

Elvis Enwright
Jun 22, 2004
just like any other man, only more so

Skyarb posted:

Awesome thanks guys, I'll check out ballotpedia. I'm in California if that helps.

I also find checking out your local league of women voters website, or even the Friends Legislative Action Committee, offer clear explanations for their endorsements and reasoning http://www.fclca.org. (The Friends aka Quakers are fairly lefty, anti-violence folks, if folks are unaware. )

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

coffeetable posted:

You are dumb if you think you have any ability whatsoever to time the market.

I'm not dumb, just too lazy to have invested regularly earlier :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

if you happen to actually be good at math and want some free As in college, take some econ classes with the liberal arts students. just make sure all of the grade is in the exams and not class participation. the only A+ i got in college was an econ class where all of the difficulty was in the byzantine algebra to get answers instead of using calculus, and once i figured that out i basically showed up for two tests and had such a high average i could have signed my name to the final exam, turned it in blank and gotten a zero, and still pulled off something like a C.

I also had a fun experience with this where for my intermediate micro class I was the only one who knew how to do multivariable calculus/differential equations so instead of doing the computationally intense derivations i just used my math skills to make everything fairly simple. my arguments were also generally more readable/logical because i was in upper level pure math courses that were all proof writing so it was pretty easy for me to explain my logic.

once i got to the advanced micro class (aka game theory) it was assumed everyone had 4+ years of calculus and also some linear algebra for good measure and it stopped being so fun/easy.

and the advanced macro class assumed you already had 2+ years of probability and statistics knowledge and could generate your own auto-regressive models to explain how to model shocks to economic systems.

there's a reason my department only had like 20 people in its graduating class.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

selec posted:

I don't really have the language to better understand it beyond the turbulent, often violent outcomes it wreaks on the people least-capable of dealing with those effects in our society. I've been listening to Richard Wolff's podcast to get a better grip on it. I still have at best a tentative understanding of what happened in 08 (mostly derived from reading Taibbi and watching The Big Short) but I think the thing I'm driving at here is that it seems pretty unfortunate and dangerous that there's an enormous consensus about our economic system among the experts, that consensus doesn't seem to change too much, yet that consensus can't prevent events like the Savings and Loan crisis, the dotcom bust, or the 08 crisis. All those experts, and nobody can solve the mystery of Where All The Black Family Wealth Went After 08.

Seems like a scam, from that perspective.

I also endorse the books that Axeil recommended, but let me offer my two current favorites.

Adam Tooze's Crashed is probably the best book on the crisis. He's a historian, but he has a relatively good understanding of the finance. He does a great job stressing the international dimensions of the crisis. That said, the book is quite long, so you can also listen to him on the bajillion podcasts / events he did on his book tour like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOcuE3oGVQ . https://www.amazon.com/Crashed-Decade-Financial-Crises-Changed/dp/0670024937

I also really like Diary of A Really Bad Year. It features a series of interviews with a hedge fund manager that were originally for n+1 during the crisis. It's really interesting to see how his interpretation of the crisis changes as events unfold in real time. And it's a fast read written for a non-finance audience. https://www.amazon.com/Diary-Very-Bad-Year-Confessions/dp/0061965308

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

publishko posted:

holy poo poo. i used to go to this Kroger regularly

Same.

Crazy news day already, and I just got back from lunch.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Prester Jane posted:

Works for me. I :toxx: that if that scenario does occur there will be no significant change in support among Trumps base 30 days out from the time the receivership becomes public. (Lets set the boundary at <2 points) Further there will be an indisputable* increase in the numbers of Proud Boys (and the like) appearing at public rallies 4 months after that event.

*You can define that however you like when the time comes and I will accept your judgement without complaint.

Separately I :toxx: that should the stock market drop 20% from its current position there will not be a <2 point loss in Trumps support among his base 30 days after that barrier is broken.

The consistent use of 'among his base' feels like a hedge that ensure you can't lose, because how do you define/measure that? His general approval rating is buoyed by his base but also relies on a decent % of non-base people to support him; that's why it's shifted 10 points in the past year on ownership of the economy. If you're talking his general approval rating, this is easily testable (and also extremely wrong), but the hedge of 'among his base' makes it a tautology; Trump's base are, by definition, the people who won't abandon him.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
CNN is now saying "and other individuals" when listing the people who got attempted-bombed. How many have there been? I assume none of them have been successful?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm getting a bug on chrome where I can't copy paste but I found a tweet that showed that the "isis logo" on the bomb is actually a parody logo that says "git er done". not joking.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

axeil posted:

the added note on this is that real econ is just a whole shitload of math formulas, statistics and proofs but that doesn't end up getting taught unless you get a Masters or above or are very lucky and have a very good undergrad department.

I got both a math and econ degree and my department was very into teaching "real" econ once you got into the mid to upper level classes so I think I avoided a lot of the mental traps.

I made a bunch of big effort posts about the ideological failures of econ a week? two weeks? ago itt.

I've noticed recently some arguments among economists about inflation have spilled into mainstream publications. My sense is that after 2008 a lot of people made a number of predictions about how inflation was bound to rise. . . and then it just didn't. And nobody really knows why. Is there any truth to that?

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Petr posted:

CNN is now saying "and other individuals" when listing the people who got attempted-bombed. How many have there been? I assume none of them have been successful?

They literally just ran out of room on the chyron to keep listing everyone.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Bullfrog posted:

I'm getting a bug on chrome where I can't copy paste but I found a tweet that showed that the "isis logo" on the bomb is actually a parody logo that says "git er done". not joking.

given what looks like the face beside it, my first thought was that it was a meme or something so that doesn't seem like a crazy stretch

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

axeil posted:

Finally, Bethany McLean's All The Devils are Here is another good look at what went on. She was the author of pretty much the book on Enron and has some good insights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_the_Devils_Are_Here

Seconding this recommendation. An excellent book on the subject.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

I've noticed recently some arguments among economists about inflation have spilled into mainstream publications. My sense is that after 2008 a lot of people made a number of predictions about how inflation was bound to rise. . . and then it just didn't. And nobody really knows why. Is there any truth to that?

we know why, because the economy and credit markets were utterly wrecked to the point that inflation was not a realistic possibility. that's why the fed was so willing to run quantitative easing on such a huge scale, because we knew it wasn't going to cause inflation because there was such a huge demand hole caused by the financial crisis.

the people predicting inflation largely were (a) amateur hacks using conservative economics for dummies or (b) people who wanted the economy not to recover under Obama's watch

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bullfrog posted:

Whose Twitter?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Krugman called them inflationistas and rightfully lambasted them for their fearmongering.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/esaagar/status/1055169489136955392

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

plogo posted:

I also endorse the books that Axeil recommended, but let me offer my two current favorites.

Adam Tooze's Crashed is probably the best book on the crisis. He's a historian, but he has a relatively good understanding of the finance. He does a great job stressing the international dimensions of the crisis. That said, the book is quite long, so you can also listen to him on the bajillion podcasts / events he did on his book tour like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHOcuE3oGVQ . https://www.amazon.com/Crashed-Decade-Financial-Crises-Changed/dp/0670024937

Not to go too far off topic but I can second anything Tooze writes. His stuff is really good, well researched and easy to read. His book other famous book “The wages of destruction” really destroys the myth of Nazi Germany as anything resembling a coherently functioning state, economically.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Squalid posted:

Yeah, that happened. A lot of right wing economists predicted rampant inflation would occur due to the stimulus and the fed's interference. I even remember right wing Heritage Foundation economists talking on NPR, in 2008, about how the stimulus would be a real-world test of whether left wing or right wing economists were correct. in contrast Paul Krugman predicted

quote:

I see the following scenario: a weak stimulus plan, perhaps even weaker than what we’re talking about now, is crafted to win those extra GOP votes. The plan limits the rise in unemployment, but things are still pretty bad, with the rate peaking at something like 9 percent and coming down only slowly. And then Mitch McConnell says “See, government spending doesn’t work.”

https://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2...setType=opinion

Two years later (which was the timeframe of Krugman's prediction) the unemployment rate was at 9.3% and inflation hadn't happened.

Here's a good summary of all the different times Krugman has been 10000% right and right-wing economists have been full of poo poo:

https://medium.com/@a19grey/in-defense-of-paul-krugman-5cc25af3809b

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Squalid posted:

No inflation with a depressed market at the zero lower bound is textbook Keynesian economics, with people like Krugman shouting it from the rooftops. But Keynesian economists are not the ones who get the TV talking head pundit jobs, so most people don't hear them.

pandabear
Apr 27, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

https://twitter.com/aymanndotcom/status/1055177976713830400

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Good news, the Trump DOJ would like the Supreme Court to not decide whether Title VII of the CIvil Rights Act protects trans people from employment discrimination yet

... because they want them to rule that it doesn't protect gays first

https://twitter.com/dominicholden/status/1055203656579121152

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Was anyone ever seriously arguing that Trump's support among "his base" would fall for any reason whatsoever aside from possibly murder? It feels like toxxing that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

Was anyone ever seriously arguing that Trump's support among "his base" would fall for any reason whatsoever aside from possibly murder? It feels like toxxing that the sun will rise tomorrow morning.

the bigger problem is that support among his base wouldn't drop: his base would shrink

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

Someone Googled "ISIS flag" but forgot to clear their search history first.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
His base will eventually drop dead if trump declared war on breathing.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

It's highly doubtful this has anything to do with the bombs that were sent to CNN/Dems. I mean this is America, land of the daily shootings.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

axeil posted:

For more details on this, read How Did Economists Get It So Wrong?

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/magazine/06Economic-t.html

That's an excellent article. It's sad that we're nigh on 10 years later and the problem has just gotten worse.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1055179494946955271

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Guillottine is too good for this scum.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1055206125241622535?s=19

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

No inflation with a depressed market at the zero lower bound is textbook Keynesian economics, with people like Krugman shouting it from the rooftops. But Keynesian economists are not the ones who get the TV talking head pundit jobs, so most people don't hear them.

That makes sense, though the problem has continued into present times when it seems economists are really confused as to why inflation and wages aren't rising given current unemployment. I've heard some pretty harsh criticisms of fed rates policies, saying their definitions of full employment are just made up and arbitrarily high, and have probably hurt workers for no good reason. It seems like there's no meaningful consensus on a number of important policy issues.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Squalid posted:

Really short version of what you're talking about below:

Freshwater economists (aka the Chicago school idiots) did because their models couldn't comprehend the idea that the "needed" interest rate being below 0 (aka the 0 lower bound issue).

The Saltwater ones (aka Keynesians) did not because they knew we were up against the 0 lower bound and their models say that when you increase spending in that environment you don't see any change in inflation.

I believe Krugman covers this phenomenon in the article I linked earlier. Here it is again for convenience.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/06/magazine/06Economic-t.html

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 24, 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squalid posted:

That makes sense, though the problem has continued into present times when it seems economists are really confused as to why inflation and wages aren't rising given current unemployment. I've heard some pretty harsh criticisms of fed rates policies, saying their definitions of full employment are just made up and arbitrarily high, and have probably hurt workers for no good reason. It seems like there's no meaningful consensus on a number of important policy issues.

they are, just slowly, and economics isn't really precise enough that its "confusing" why there might be lag times longer than expected

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Lumpy posted:

Seconding this recommendation. An excellent book on the subject.

Just went and bought this, thanks for the recommendation y'all, I promise not to love money any more after reading it than I do now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

Trump could personally shoot George Soros or Hillary Clinton and not lose a single bit of his base

Those who are devoted don't live in our plane of reality

• Locked thread