Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

qirex posted:

So the advance lever on the new Leica M10-D? It turns out it's for nothing. It's purely decorative and Leica themselves says it should be used as a thumb rest.

...lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

can’t wait to cosplay a real photographer

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Holy poo poo, that’s amazing. I had read elsewhere speculations defending it, saying that we shouldn’t criticize it because it would have a function. I guess that solves that. I wonder if it moves - it could be like a fidget spinner on your camera, or you could move it every time you take a photo to make people think you are shooting film, but then I guess it wouldn’t work as a thumb rest.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

To further enhance the analog look and experience of this camera, the Leica M10-D features an integrated fold-out thumb rest, reminiscent of a classic film advance lever, which aids in the ergonomics and handling of the camera – especially when shooting one-handed.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

hahahaha wow.

Like, make it create/start filling a new folder, or something, but drat

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
It should change to a different random filter effect each time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
It should delete the last photo you took

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
It should produce funny sound effects. Fun at parties, more smiles in your street photography, and it helps draw attention to yourself which I can only assume was the whole point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Splinter posted:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Anyone who buys one clearly has more money than they need so it should deliver a fatal electric shock then repeatedly state 'This person was found guilty of, and excuted for, Theft From The People' over a soundtrack of The Internationale.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
So can you not advance the lever in satisfying winding motion? gently caress you Leica!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tino posted:

So can you not advance the lever in satisfying winding motion? gently caress you Leica!

In 2022 there will be a M10-DR with realistic haptic winder-feel and a built in speaker that plays gear and spring noises. It will cost twenty thousand dollars.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I have to imagine that they are deliberately taking the piss now.

You can't design something like that with a straight face.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Leica is really behind the curve.

https://www.diyphotography.net/yashica-y35-digifilm-camera-review-teardown-dont-buy-this-sht/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

tino posted:

Kai W. did a little video with it on YouTube today and no, it just goes out and back in with no satisfying mechanical feedback like you’d get from actually advancing film. He likes it though and thinks that we should knock it until we try it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've seen a lot of people buy those little thumbsup things that slide into the hotshoe so that it gives a better grip. I've tried it and it really feels a lot more comfortable. But paying for that on a M10D is a different story...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

alkanphel posted:

I've seen a lot of people buy those little thumbsup things that slide into the hotshoe so that it gives a better grip. I've tried it and it really feels a lot more comfortable. But paying for that on a M10D is a different story...
Yeah I’ve always used those on Fuji bodies and I find them comfortable.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Splinter posted:

I would no-poo poo find that extremely useful. Constantly filling up my SD cards with garbage. A one-action fast delete would help cut that down immensely. Of course one would just have to accept that sometimes their choice keepers would get accidentally deleted.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I would no-poo poo find that extremely useful. Constantly filling up my SD cards with garbage. A one-action fast delete would help cut that down immensely. Of course one would just have to accept that sometimes their choice keepers would get accidentally deleted.

A camera live streams itself photos to Instagram. Only photos that reach certain rating threshold will be kept, all the rest are deleted.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I use a thumbsup grip on my xpro2 and x100f it's very good. I'm all for taking the wind out of Leica but this is legit a good addition to a rf body.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

qirex posted:

In 2022 there will be a M10-DR with realistic haptic winder-feel and a built in speaker that plays gear and spring noises. It will cost twenty thousand dollars.

wanna see the knobfeel review of dat camera

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

So the advance lever on the new Leica M10-D? It turns out it's for nothing. It's purely decorative and Leica themselves says it should be used as a thumb rest.

That's hilarious. Leicas are a massive status symbol here for wealthy SE Asians who don't give a poo poo about taking photos with it. I regularly see dudes walking about (and it's always dudes) with a Leica slung over their shoulder purely as a fashion accessory. In at least two separate cases I've seen so far, the camera didn't even have a lens attached, just the body cap.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

wanna see the knobfeel review of dat camera

I didnt know your mother did camera reviews

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The irony is that on a camera with a LCD (or even EVF) preview, yeah that actually does sound kind of useful. So even if it could provide a useful function, it still can't.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

That's hilarious. Leicas are a massive status symbol here for wealthy SE Asians who don't give a poo poo about taking photos with it. I regularly see dudes walking about (and it's always dudes) with a Leica slung over their shoulder purely as a fashion accessory. In at least two separate cases I've seen so far, the camera didn't even have a lens attached, just the body cap.

:psyboom:

JFC

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Helen Highwater posted:

Maybe they are pinhole photography connoisseur heh.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I've decided to get back into photography, and having gotten rid of my DSLR a while back and not wanting a huge thing to (never) lug around, am thinking about a mirrorless.

From what I've read, the Sony a6000 is a good option for my budget (~$500), are there any other cameras around this price range that are comparable?

e: Seems like the Fuji XT100 might be a good option, anyone have that one?

Kazy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 25, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Kazy posted:

So I've decided to get back into photography, and having gotten rid of my DSLR a while back and not wanting a huge thing to (never) lug around, am thinking about a mirrorless.

From what I've read, the Sony a6000 is a good option for my budget (~$500), are there any other cameras around this price range that are comparable?

Buy my Fuji X-T20 in the for sale thread, seriously! I’m only selling it because my wife didn’t use it.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Helen Highwater posted:

I'll agree with this, but the good news is that for every 10 of these guys there's 1 guy actually trying. I like this guy, who has an original Monochrom and had an M-P but seems to have traded it for an M10-P recently: https://twitter.com/jigen0211

He also expected something different out of that drat lever: https://twitter.com/jigen0211/status/1055083423159615488 (the translate button is relatively accurate here, the last tweet is referencing sources).

I too am confused by Leica's thumb rest. The addition of wifi (for playback?) and EVF that lacks playback function to the M-D is also questionably useless. I don't think they're actually asking owners what they want, which has been an issue for Leica in the past with their extra-boutique cameras, and listening to them is how the exclusive M Edition 60 became the mainstream M-D.

I like my M-D and it's not a working camera, but even the M10-D with a fully functional EVF could have been a stand in for an occasional working camera that scratched both itches just enough. This though, nope. They took a good simple camera (the M-D) and added bells and whistles to it for no rhyme or reason.

In other working camera news I actually like my EOS R, it's the 5D4 I always wanted in the dark. I did some high ISO testing with it at my kids band concert last night and I am very impressed all the way to ISO 40k. If only the 5D4 would've had the auto-focus capability of the R... now I just need Novoflex to actually start shipping the EOSR to LEM adapter so I don't have any need to buy new primes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I actually legit want a digital rangefinder without an LCD screen. I think it’d be a good idea to forego the LCD to have a thinner profile, lower cost, and better battery life.

Of course, this is Leica, so enjoy spending 8 grand for a camera without an LCD.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This might be a dumb question, but is there any way to make it quicker to activate the wifi on the X-T20? I'd like to stick it on the Q menu, but I don't see a way to do that.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I actually legit want a digital rangefinder without an LCD screen. I think it’d be a good idea to forego the LCD to have a thinner profile, lower cost, and better battery life.

Of course, this is Leica, so enjoy spending 8 grand for a camera without an LCD.

Serious chat: Email Cosina and tell them to make their goddamned digital rangefinder. It's been hinted at a dozen times, I can't figure out why it never happens.

I only bought my M-D because in process of moving back to the U.S., I realized the cost of film and film economy for development (even materials) was not worth the inconvenience over Tokyo (which still has drop off/pick up film service all over), but I still wanted the same experience. I already owned a ton of M mount glass. I also had a pile of cash from selling all my Canon gear I had acquired over half a decade.

Film prices here are about $6 for a roll of Tri-X 400 and $8 for Portra 400. Figuring $11 for development costs that get you negatives back, that's $17 for B&W per roll or $19 for color. Same price, nearly 10% cheaper in Japan, if you look at the exchange rate.

I figured it was going to take around 15k frames (400-450 rolls of 36 exposure film) depending on the above to make my camera body money back in not having development costs and since I'm now at about 22k frames yeah I'd agree. I am now saving money, if you ignore the one new lens I buy roughly yearly (though this year I bought an EOS R and the RF24-105/4 kit).

You could try putting tape over an X-Pro2 or something but it's really not the same. I tried. The lack of an actual rangefinder in the viewfinder doesn't help, though I will credit the Fuji optical viewfinder for being a bit brighter.

What not to do is buy one and keep it in a display case. Leica's digital poo poo depreciates like crazy, I think my $6k camera is now worth about $3k a few years later. But if you factor that into the above, hey you can still get $3k out of it, and given the M8/M9 still sell for $2-3k, it might not drop much more.

windex fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 26, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Honestly for as much poo poo as I talk on Leica and Leica owners (not all but the majority of them) I love the idea of the Monochrom. Having a dedicated black and white camera in the digital age is neat and there are technical advantages they can take advantage of not needing to render color. I wish they took more of those ideas and less of the silly useless ones like we are seeing here. And yes, I get that we like thumbrests. I had one on my X100 and used it. The difference is making it look like something it’s not which is stupid and disingenuous when, again, they could have at least done something cool with it *and* made a thumbrest that they could charge an obscene amount of money for if there’s a red dot on it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
where the gently caress do you go that costs $11 for development that's insane

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

None of the bulk labs will return negatives anymore, even though they still charge like $2-4 per roll, all you get back are low res scans and no negatives and some only do electronic delivery of scans now (Costco).

Cheapest pricing I can find with no local options that gets you negatives mailed back and low res scans is around $11-12 (The Darkroom, Old School Photo Lab).

DIY is time consuming. Even if you went by $1/roll for B&W and $2/roll for C-41, that's still $7-10 in film+development costs. Plus all the extra labor. I still do it once and awhile but only if I have a really good reason (and I may do it more since I have one of those LAB-BOX things from Kickstarter coming allegedly).

I thought about this a lot. I'd typically develop 3-4 rolls of film a week in Tokyo at a cost of around $100 (film is more expensive, and I'd usually have them print a contact sheet instead of scans). Even if you call that at $10 for color photos (combined film + development cost), and $40/week, that's still only 3 years to cover a Leica body in full.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

How do you find the multi-function bar? Some sites obsess over the card slots or video crop but the one real thing that I’m interested in is the handling. Dropping the joystick from a $2k+ camera was a bold move.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Well sooner or later only Chow Yun-Fat can afford to develop prints.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

Here in Seattle my local camera shop charges $10 for dev + scanning, and they only do color. Another local film store does B&W, but they charge 15 for the same. I love shooting film but when you count dev costs, it comes out to about forty to fifty cents per shot.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

CodfishCartographer posted:

Here in Seattle my local camera shop charges $10 for dev + scanning, and they only do color. Another local film store does B&W, but they charge 15 for the same. I love shooting film but when you count dev costs, it comes out to about forty to fifty cents per shot.

I recently stumbled upon the instagram hashtag #staybrokeshootfilm somewhere. Having started shooting film in the past few months, it has pretty much become one of my mantras. I have embraced the fact that I apparently hate having money because I'm really enjoying using film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I wish I could find the output from digital Leica cameras to be as nice as actual film, because yeah, film is expensive. All the more reason to go medium format IMO. If you're going to be paying so much per frame, might as well make them huge. The limited number of exposures on a 120 roll also make you more economical by forcing you to really consider every shot you take...not that any of my medium format photography looks like a lot of thought went into it. Anyway, even with a setup for C41 and B&W chemicals at home that brings the 'cost' down for developing color negative film ($5/roll), the amount of time and effort it takes to get your poo poo correct, dried, dusted and scanned at home makes shooting a lot of 35mm Portra or whatever a real grind. B&W at home on the other hand is, like, a great hobby activity. It's relatively cheap and easy to develop, and super easy to digitize (no color correction necessary).

I guess the Monochrom is kine of neat. I like the idea of a digital camera that fully eschews color interpolation by single-color pixels. Now that Leica is forming a consortium with Sigma and Panasonic, I can dream of a full-frame Foveon Leica. Maybe they could call it the M100, seeing as how 100 will be the only usable ISO. Of course this is a joke, but might be closer to reality right now; Sigma have said that they're dropping SA-mount and that all their future proprietary sensors will be in L-mount cameras, which will be shared with PanaLeica. The idea of those three companies coming together gives me hope that they might make some cool poo poo, just as long as each company sticks to what it does best. Unfortunaly the S1R looks like a camera model from a PS2 game, so it seems unlikely that Leica (which had some screw-ups lately but still make arguably the best-looking cameras) had any influence on the physical design.