Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel mixed about the FFD thing. On the one hand it was legit funny and the jokes were honestly pretty great but he was also a really good, lots of effort poster and I think he really did just get tired of the jokes every time he posted and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Escobarbarian posted:

That was FitFortDanga and it was far from all films but it was still funny because he was like the #1 Film Guy here at the time and he lost it all in one post

Itd be like the guy with the night of the Hunter av who always posted the year of the movies doing it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I miss FFD’s blog/him actually writing mini-reviews on criticker

Speaking of I always wondered if criticker user Pickpocket was a goon, he has the second most stars on the site after FFD. Initially he was just typical snark boy but then he went full alt-right and it was hilarious

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I miss all the effort posts and interesting write-ups on movies. It's why I joined SA. I've even stopped doing it myself outside of the annual October threads and the horror thread.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Itd be like the guy with the night of the Hunter av who always posted the year of the movies doing it

I miss subg

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Franchescanado posted:

I don't personally do this, but this isn't uncommon. People have been doing this since DVD players came out. Some keep it to 1.25 speed so it's less noticeable. It's actually pretty handy to watch instructional YouTube videos or whatever at 1.5 because you retain all the information the same, and you can get through it faster.

I found out about it on comedian Howard Kremer's podcast.

Yeah, I know, but people only seem to do it so they can check off the boxes.

If they can't sit down to actually absorb something why are they even bothering?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

That was SubG (I miss that av). He still posts regularly in Goons With Spoons, but Vargo gave him poo poo about posting the year of the movie and told him to stop, and people gave him poo poo about the weird quotation marks he uses, so he just stopped posting here.

His takedowns of Star Trek: The Next Generation were legendary.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

To talk to other people about it. People love talking about Netflix shows. Since I rarely watch anything these days, it’s very hard to converse unless it’s a show I got locked down in my brain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CelticPredator posted:

To talk to other people about it. People love talking about Netflix shows. Since I rarely watch anything these days, it’s very hard to converse unless it’s a show I got locked down in my brain.

I find it sad that pop culture has become an obligation to some.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I also feel mixed about the subg thing. On the one hand it was a dumb, kinda bullshit reason for a mod challenge. On the other hand it was a really trivial mod challenge and I think he overreacted

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I take it back, I would like to throw my hat in the mod ring because I don't have any of these weird "Poster always sucks" grudges

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

I find it sad that pop culture has become an obligation to some.

People often identify themselves by the stuff they like. It's almost assuredly not a healthy phenomenon.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I take it back, I would like to throw my hat in the mod ring because I don't have any of these weird "Poster always sucks" grudges

You’d ban everyone who said anything about age gaps tho

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'll also toss my hat in for the mod thing because I've been able to post for years without people holding that kind of grudge against me, which feels like a good sign.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I nominate bibs

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Was subg like a savant or did he just Google all those dates. If the latter then yeah it was dumb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

I'll also toss my hat in for the mod thing because I've been able to post for years without people holding that kind of grudge against me, which feels like a good sign.

You say that now but wait until I leak this dossier I've compiled over the last nine years

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
@celticpredator
https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/1055219916066811904

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

You say that now but wait until I leak this dossier I've compiled over the last nine years

Oh no the Dickeye Before E bloopers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Williams is in the hospital. :ohdear:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'd be a bad mod, I can't even remember that one person we all hate and yell at when the post. BloodontheDanceFloor or something like that? I also am not really sure what he did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That bloaty!!!

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
If I become mod I will force the top 10 posters in the Star Wars and Comic book threads to watch and write a review of Satantango.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

John Williams is in the hospital. :ohdear:

gently caress. :(

CelticPredator posted:

That bloaty!!!

BTW CP don't forget I'm streaming in an hour.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

axelblaze posted:

I feel mixed about the FFD thing. On the one hand it was legit funny and the jokes were honestly pretty great but he was also a really good, lots of effort poster and I think he really did just get tired of the jokes every time he posted and left.
That dude's probably touching 50 now, I doubt he has a desire to post on the internet comedy forum anymore

Timby posted:

That was SubG (I miss that av). He still posts regularly in Goons With Spoons, but Vargo gave him poo poo about posting the year of the movie and told him to stop, and people gave him poo poo about the weird quotation marks he uses, so he just stopped posting here.

His takedowns of Star Trek: The Next Generation were legendary.
I've seen him make occasional posts in the physics thread and I feel like a dumbass when trying to vaguely comprehend them (he's p. smart)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

BTW CP don't forget I'm streaming in an hour.

i will be there while i edit

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845296&perpage=40&pagenumber=390#post488940901

I gusss I said how garbage life is instead of garbage life. But I didn’t think making a point that life isn’t perfect is some kind of defcon 1 sign that you’re on the verge of doing something rash.

It’s creepy. They’re like a single entity and imo the biggest issue with cined.

Look ya dumb butt, hyperbole is part of the internet culture and all, but if someone is having a bad day, or not feeling all right, I'd rather reach out to them to check if they're ok rather than just ignore it and move on, even if I don't particularly like them and think they're a stupid jackass, because I'd still rather have them be around and be a stupid jackass rather than do something stupid.

You might not realize it or have intended it, but your post had some red flags, and that worried people enough to comment on it, and considering the amount of people here that apparently from time to time are in a bad mental state I don't think that's unwarranted.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Saying life isn't overall good isn't a red flag ya silly.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Deathcrew4lyfe

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey do any of you ninnies know poo poo about record players

Ladyeye and I have one and we're trying to figure out what we need to buy to actually use it to play music

We have speakers but we definitely need some kind of amp and we may need new speakers? Idk it's been a minute

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Was subg like a savant or did he just Google all those dates. If the latter then yeah it was dumb

lol if you don't have a huge mental catalogue of dates and cinematographers in your head.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

I don't personally do this, but this isn't uncommon. People have been doing this since DVD players came out. Some keep it to 1.25 speed so it's less noticeable. It's actually pretty handy to watch instructional YouTube videos or whatever at 1.5 because you retain all the information the same, and you can get through it faster.

I found out about it on comedian Howard Kremer's podcast.

I had a professor one time who wanted to show 2001 at 1.2 speed "to get through it faster" and I had to talk him out of it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

All that was said was that he "took ill" after arriving in London to conduct a concert, but hospitalization at that age is always an "oh, poo poo" situation.

Coaaab posted:

I've seen him make occasional posts in the physics thread and I feel like a dumbass when trying to vaguely comprehend them (he's p. smart)

He's intensely intelligent but weirdly sensitive when challenged. Every now and again he gets into a snit with someone in GWS and gets strangely passive-aggressive.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hey do any of you ninnies know poo poo about record players

Ladyeye and I have one and we're trying to figure out what we need to buy to actually use it to play music

We have speakers but we definitely need some kind of amp and we may need new speakers? Idk it's been a minute

There might be a sound system thread in one of the tech subforums that might be of help

CelticPredator posted:

Saying life isn't overall good isn't a red flag ya silly.

It's more the "most people don't get any joy or intellectual engagement out of movies/fiction in general and just take it as something to dissociate while staring at" universalizing that struck a confusing/concerning vibe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That is a pretty regular thing though? People want something to put on to distract them from the world. Is this not an actual thing? Does this not exist?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
loll we def need a mod

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

There might be a sound system thread in one of the tech subforums that might be of help

It's more the "most people don't get any joy or intellectual engagement out of movies/fiction in general and just take it as something to dissociate while staring at" universalizing that struck a confusing/concerning vibe.

Ahhhhh I didn't even think of IYG

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he did know most of these dates offhand. The guy was a walking encyclopedia of film trivia. I always assumed that he either worked in film studies or else spent every free minute of his life in a theatre.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

That is a pretty regular thing though? People want something to put on to distract them from the world. Is this not an actual thing? Does this not exist?

It is assuredly not the definitive reason why people watch movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Escapism is a very common reason people would give for why they love the movies. I really don't think that's a controversial statement.

• Locked thread