Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

That is a pretty regular thing though? People want something to put on to distract them from the world. Is this not an actual thing? Does this not exist?

I've definitely been in that mood before, I had a particularly bad week earlier this month including a day where I went to all the trouble of getting dressed for work and then just went back to bed until like 2, but I wouldn't say everyone approaches media like that, and if that sort of anhedonia is a protracted thing it probably speaks to something going on that you should talk to someone about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s common but I take issue with the idea that it’s the reason, and then formulating your argument off of that - because once you do there’s not even much to argue. If you watch movies for the escapism factor then fine but don’t be surprised when people want to talk about things that aren’t that.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hat Thoughts posted:

loll we def need a mod
NOW we do, we probably didn't until mod guyovich just HAD to pop up and instigate himself <:saddowns:>

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I Before E posted:

I've definitely been in that mood before, I had a particularly bad week earlier this month including a day where I went to all the trouble of getting dressed for work and then just went back to bed until like 2, but I wouldn't say everyone approaches media like that, and if that sort of anhedonia is a protracted thing it probably speaks to something going on that you should talk to someone about.

good lord

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

CelticPredator posted:

That is a pretty regular thing though? People want something to put on to distract them from the world. Is this not an actual thing? Does this not exist?

I think the issue here is that you're unintentionally implying that movies solely exist to be distractions. I like to escape into other worlds too, but my brain doesn't turn off the second I watch a movie, a TV show, or even a YouTube video.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm implying most people don't give a poo poo about movies, or being creative.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The whole discussion was about people who talk about their dreams through plot points and not visuals. To me, that felt like something that isn't uncommon, but to CineD, it's apparently super uncommon that people don't remember their dreams through visuals.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
CP is also leaving out the context where they have vented out their IRL distress numerous times within the comic book movie thread.

Which is absolutely fine, small communities like this work best when we can talk together as normal people looking out for each other, but when people ask you if you’re okay when you express a supremely nihilistic viewpoint on what there is to enjoy in movies in a movie discussion forum, maybe don’t go to other sub forums talking about how terrible CineD is and then post the hive mind meme.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
God drat it what does someone have to do to become a mod? Do you just hold your hand up and yell a magic phrase or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

you go to BooCS and ask they appoint someone, and they'll put the person who has the most posts/presence in the forums.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
that was more of a joke than an actual question

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axelblaze posted:

God drat it what does someone have to do to become a mod? Do you just hold your hand up and yell a magic phrase or something?

Klaatu barada nikto.

(Make me a mod, I may or may not be dead within a year so you don't have guaranteed ROI, but at least my mother thinks I'm smart.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

you go to BooCS and ask they appoint someone, and they'll put the person who has the most posts/presence in the forums.

Blue star here I come

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen you post outside GenChat.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Unrelated to all this, it's kinda crazy how good that new Sabrina show looks, huh?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

axelblaze posted:

Unrelated to all this, it's kinda crazy how good that new Sabrina show looks, huh?

Yeah, it's good.

I got screeners for it and enjoyed the show. They did some interesting stuff with the Aunts, and surprised me with how they used Salem (he's kinda split into two characters?). The production design is killer. I ultimately had more fun with Riverdale, and could do without the Harry Potter school stuff, but it's a good time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

axelblaze posted:

It looks good, but given how loving weird the Internet got with Millie Bobbie Brown, I'm kind of terrified of what will happen with Kiernan Shipka.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This week in “theater all to myself”: The Sisters Brothers

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Timby posted:

It looks good, but given how loving weird the Internet got with Millie Bobbie Brown, I'm kind of terrified of what will happen with Kiernan Shipka.

She's 19 in 2 weeks so it's not quite as bad.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Keep her away from Drake.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Keep her away from Drake.

She's already 18, he's probably not interested.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Hey do any of you ninnies know poo poo about record players

Ladyeye and I have one and we're trying to figure out what we need to buy to actually use it to play music

We have speakers but we definitely need some kind of amp and we may need new speakers? Idk it's been a minute

Seriously? How did you not immediately come to me about this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Samuel Clemens posted:

You know, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen you post outside GenChat.

Because the only threads I would post in ate loving dire

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

She's already 18, he's probably not interested.

Has anyone done that Disapproving Drake / Approving Drake meme but with the age of consent?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

axelblaze posted:

The comic book it's based on is one of the best things out there right now but it and its sister title Afterlife with Archie are more or less dead because the creator/writer of those is getting that tv paycheck to ignore them and make Riverdale and this new Sabrina show. Personally I'd be fine with both of those shows going away forever if it meant him doing the loving books again.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Unfriended 2 The Dark Web is a huge regression for the series, and I’m pretty let down about it.

Fake edit: what the heck is everyone talking about, holy moly.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's good.

I got screeners for it and enjoyed the show. They did some interesting stuff with the Aunts, and surprised me with how they used Salem (he's kinda split into two characters?). The production design is killer. I ultimately had more fun with Riverdale, and could do without the Harry Potter school stuff, but it's a good time.

Should I watch Riverdale beforehand or would I not be missing out on much?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I agree that it was a far less interesting movie that is somehow even less subtle in its themes, but I still liked it.

Did you see Searching?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Pirate Jet posted:

Should I watch Riverdale beforehand or would I not be missing out on much?

Nope. They're not connected.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

The comic book it's based on is one of the best things out there right now but it and its sister title Afterlife with Archie are more or less dead because the creator/writer of those is getting that tv paycheck to ignore them and make Riverdale and this new Sabrina show. Personally I'd be fine with both of those shows going away forever if it meant him doing the loving books again.

Sabrina came back for like two issues before he got busy with the show again

Rip

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Sabrina came back for like two issues before he got busy with the show again

Rip

I know, I never missed a single issue of that.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Haha, drat, my girlfriend left me at a live The Dollop show

But my brother turned out to be there too, and we hung out and got drunk, which was pretty good, we never really got to that adult stage of siblings being friends and it feels like we are now

All in all life's a seesaw

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

But my brother turned out to be there too, and we hung out and got drunk, which was pretty good, we never really got to that adult stage of siblings being friends and it was kinda like we are now

drat. That's cold.

Must have been a rough episode.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Honestly, skippable

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Peccadillo posted:

But my brother turned out to be there too, and we hung out and got drunk, which was pretty good, we never really got to that adult stage of siblings being friends and it feels like we are now

What was the show topic?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What was the show topic?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Buckley_(convict)

White guy gets mistaken for a ghost by koori ladies, a story ensues

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 25, 2018

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

Honestly, skippable

Sounds like a description for the last 4 pages of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E4StSczVBs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

Honestly, skippable

In all seriousness, that still sucks and I'm sorry. Glad you got to hang with your bro, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axelblaze posted:

If the past is any indication, it helps if you hate the forum you mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

axelblaze posted:

I agree that it was a far less interesting movie that is somehow even less subtle in its themes, but I still liked it.

Did you see Searching?

Searching rules, so it’s not that the genre is played out.

Dark Web basically falls apart at the twist, where you actually get the opposite of Unfriended: instead of the joke that the ‘ghost’ is just a collective of lame nerds, Dark Web posits that its lame nerd collective is the front for an international Jewish conspiracy. Like, “we didn’t just find some gangster’s laptop; it was planted. It’s all a game - an alternate reality game! We’ve been transported into an alternate reality!”

And that’s way less interesting than the reverse - which is why movies like The Den and My Little Eye are far more successful.

Dark Web doesn’t even do that much with the Fraps Horror aesthetic, where Unfriended focussed on the way that people use their computers.

• Locked thread