Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it was also something gene roddenberry had wanted to make a star trek episode out of for years. the second gunman was going to turn out to be spock.

they forcibly dragged the script away from him and rewrote the hell out of it, so that it was just a story about how you had to kill a cute lady pacifist in order to save the world from hitler, but that only shut him up for a little bit. evidently he kept on proposing they shoot that episode the way he wanted to shoot it until the day he died.

woke branding has come a ways since the sixties

that owns and i wish he had gotten to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my dad saw one episode of the original Star Trek where an entire planet goes to poo poo because the inhabitants are too lazy, or something like that. he interpreted that as the show endorsing fascism and never bothered watching it again

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

get that OUT of my face posted:

my dad saw one episode of the original Star Trek where an entire planet goes to poo poo because the inhabitants are too lazy, or something like that. he interpreted that as the show endorsing fascism and never bothered watching it again

he may have been wrong but i respect the impulse behind it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 219 days!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

probably because red dwarf was basically parody and not trying to have a woke social message op

There was also an episode shortly thereafter where they meet their future selves, and they turn out to be douchebags who hang out with the Goerings.

They decide to kill their future selves and destroy their time machine.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hodgepodge posted:

There was also an episode shortly thereafter where they meet their future selves, and they turn out to be douchebags who hang out with the Goerings.

They decide to kill their future selves and destroy their time machine.

there was also the episode where lister went back in time and got into a fight with hitler and stole his briefcase

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/nlntendho/status/1054494515149594624

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
that doesn't read as trying to be woke

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
twitter is a god drat cancer

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Farrier Theaks posted:

twitter is a god drat cancer
Marketing is the disease.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

They are playing to their core base of grognards who hate PC culture but love old video games

guess the whales will make up for the lost sales

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean it's the only place to buy DRM free old games so I think their marketing is just a sort of bad appendage to something people would use anyway. I recently bought Alpha Centauri from them because nobody else really sells it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

it was also something gene roddenberry had wanted to make a star trek episode out of for years. the second gunman was going to turn out to be spock.

Just wait until you hear about what Data did to Lincoln

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fried Watermelon posted:

They are playing to their core base of grognards who hate PC culture but love old video games

guess the whales will make up for the lost sales

:thunk:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwbeVwZjjjE

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

reminds me of this

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

week old discussion but gently caress it i lurk what do you want

R. Dieovich posted:

no, you've got that wrong. films with reactionary politics are fine so long as they come off looking well-produced. aesthetics trump all else

dc superhero movies are by far the best looking mainstream movies being put out today and they are also by far the most widely hated ones usually for dumb poo poo like plot nitpicking that never happens with marvel movies even though theyre every bit as bad in that department incidentally dc movies are about how a world with legit superheroes and actual extraterrestrial invasions would be a horrific death-filled dystopian nightmare while marvel movies are always trying to sell us on how no actually it is a good thing that godlike beings closely collaborate with secret nazi-infested intelligence agencies to battle against faceless aliens and uppity ex-slaves and bad ceos who are coincidentally business competitors with the godlike beings because of course if any hanky-panky is discovered they'll just go rogue which is even better

Algund Eenboom posted:

Crash won best picture, dipshit

not actually relevant to the point about crash's pre-woke tomatometer score which is only seventy four percent its easy to forget now but crashs win was a massive fluke that surprised just about everyone the main reason it happened was because brokeback mountain was the actual favorite but this was 2005 and hollywood liberals didnt want anyone to make fun of them for voting in the gay cowboy movie but they also didnt want anyone accusing them of being moral cowards so crash was their very half-assed way of saying uh sure homosexuals might be trendy but have you ever heard of this thing called racism it is actually very ambiguous they still got a lot of poo poo for this although obviously not enough given the current terrible media landscape you cant even dislike star wars movies anymore without being called a misogynist or a racist or a russian or a robot

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some Guy TT posted:

dc superhero movies are by far the best looking mainstream movies being put out today

hahahaha source your quotes

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

both franchises look like rear end. ones just glossier than the other

and need i remind you of the colossal marketing campaign for wonder woman that convinced everybody an unapologetic idf soldier was a feminist hero? and the sequel to that movie, which will have her fighting soviets in afghanistan on behalf of what i can only assume is the mujahideen? the thinkpieces about that one are gonna be ten times worse than any of the dreck pumped out by content farms for marvel's tapioca on celluloid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Venom was p good in a trashy way

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

not technically in the mcu so im not surprised it ended up being good. and of course critics hated it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wonder woman is absolutely hilarious in that regard its the exact same basic idea as any other dc movie but it took the woke to eleven so it gets like sixty extra percentage points on the tomatometer women and minorities are now getting leading roles in movies solely because producers are using it as a cynical security to hedge against bad reviews the best part is that when anyone points this out the reply is always whoa there buddy are you saying you only want WHITE MEN to headline movies

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Comic movies are trash. Just don't watch them, lmao.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Comic movies are trash. Just don't watch them, lmao.

fixed that for you

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

MOROCCAN SOLDIER GUY: I wanted to be an actor, but I am the wrong color.
APARTHEID DEFENDER GAL GADOT: Uhhh yeah haha wow. That's hosed up.

Dec 26, 2012

R. Dieovich posted:

MOROCCAN SOLDIER GUY: I wanted to be an actor, but I am the wrong color.
APARTHEID DEFENDER GAL GADOT: Uhhh yeah haha wow. That's hosed up.

lol

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Venom was p good in a trashy way

They already made a venom movie this year, it’s called upgrade and it’s dope as hell

Also the only good superhero is blade. The working class hero fighting parasitic scum and also their enforcers, the police.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Some Guy TT posted:

wonder woman is absolutely hilarious in that regard its the exact same basic idea as any other dc movie but it took the woke to eleven so it gets like sixty extra percentage points on the tomatometer women and minorities are now getting leading roles in movies solely because producers are using it as a cynical security to hedge against bad reviews the best part is that when anyone points this out the reply is always whoa there buddy are you saying you only want WHITE MEN to headline movies

Wonder woman is even better if you think about how her running in to a conflict she didn't understand lead to the unconditional surrender of Germany, which directly lead to the rise of the Nazis and WWII (a conflict that is implied she sat out in Vichy France)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Business Gorillas posted:

Wonder woman is even better if you think about how her running in to a conflict she didn't understand lead to the unconditional surrender of Germany, which directly lead to the rise of the Nazis and WWII (a conflict that is implied she sat out in Vichy France)

wait whats the reasoning for her hanging out in nazi collaborator town while the holocaust is happening?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

I trace a circle and recite the incantations

Arise, Ghostbusters 2016, arise!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Some Guy TT posted:

how is wonder woman woke

they have people oogling her on-screen constantly, even during fight scenes

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Venom Snake posted:

wait whats the reasoning for her hanging out in nazi collaborator town while the holocaust is happening?

At the end of the movie it's implied that she gives up in humanity because the dude she hooked up with died and she goes into hiding. They do a smash cut to modern times where's she's hidden from the world doing art restoration in the louvre

Don't worry though. It sounds like she comes out of retirement to *checks notes* fight the communists in the 50s

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Wonder Woman can't go after the nazis for the same reason Fry from Futurama had to have sex with his grandma

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Has anybody made an edit where the Palestinian w no legs throws rocks and she blocks them with her magic wrist armor things.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

Has anybody made an edit where the Palestinian w no legs throws rocks and she blocks them with her magic wrist armor things.

lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

MizPiz posted:

Wonder Woman can't go after the nazis for the same reason Fry from Futurama had to have sex with his grandma

lmao

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

Great thermal baths and french food?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

MizPiz posted:

:popeye:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

General Dog posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

another fun wonder woman fact the movie only got made at all because steve mnuchin and zac snyder heavily pushed it the former now works for trump and the latter is now making a fountainhead movie yet somehow she is supposed to be an icon that only appeals to left brain right thinkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They should do a docu about the kinky poo poo the guy who created her was into