Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, to that end... why was he even there?

He thinks they’re really Good Mates and everything he did and said was just business and nothing personal and nobody should be upset by it because it was just a day at the office and if you can’t handle it maybe politics isn’t for you.

This is how Tories sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

The Canberra Bible got the washing machine treatment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erTFfFSD4BQ

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Lid posted:

While Gillard was PM with approval in the bin I emphatically told my dad that when history was being written of this period Gillard will be revered and Rudd (The white ant) will be a failure. I feel so much vindication and it was so plainly obvious because she was the last PM of principle and passion. History remembers.

ahh, the principle of cutting welfare for single mums

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Teachers are going to walk off the job in support of refugees on Nauru can't wait for the hun salt on this one.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Teachers are going to walk off the job in support of refugees on Nauru can't wait for the hun salt on this one.

All the refugees, or only the children?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

All the refugees, or only the children?

Good question. Maybe just the children it was on the radio when I was driving in to work.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

For the Greens in a safe Lib seat where we poll ~15% I've seen figures between 50-100k thrown about for total campaign expenses, most of which we get back from the AEC. I'd assume the figures are much higher for actually winnable seats, since IIRC the main point of having candidates in every seat is more to just boost the senate vote and raise awareness.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

JBP posted:

The hun was pretty good about the rally in melbourne the other day. "workers strike for pay rise". Not "workers strike for fair pay" or more accurately "workers protest exploitation peacefully instead of eating the rich despite no reason not to". Also gave another loving front page + follow up to whatever batshit insane plan Guy had this week. Yeah sure we'll import migrants & REAL refugees to the sticks. Ok. Who is gonna police that? Do you want Vline ticket inspectors to check passports at Ballarat? Set up checkpoints on the ring roads?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Knobb Manwich posted:

The hun was pretty good about the rally in melbourne the other day. "workers strike for pay rise". Not "workers strike for fair pay" or more accurately "workers protest exploitation peacefully instead of eating the rich despite no reason not to". Also gave another loving front page + follow up to whatever batshit insane plan Guy had this week. Yeah sure we'll import migrants & REAL refugees to the sticks. Ok. Who is gonna police that? Do you want Vline ticket inspectors to check passports at Ballarat? Set up checkpoints on the ring roads?

I like that they always go apeshit about the CFMMEU or whatever and ignore that at least 50% of the marchers are not white blue collar men.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol, a state agency comes out with proposal for councils to introduce a weekly food waste and organics collection and move to fortnightly for residual garbage, Dan Andrews comes out swinging aligning himself with the IPA and Herald Sun, saying “not under a labor government” despite identical systems already running smoothly in multiple councils for a couple of years now :bravo:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

AFR EDITORIAL posted:

In 2014 Labor's Daniel Andrews was elected Premier of all Victorians. On Tuesday, weeks out from the next election, he was chief cheerleader for a union movement that shut down the centre of his state's capital and its commercial ports. Polls suggest Mr Andrews will be returned to office, but for reasons little to do with him or his government. The national post-resource boom economy has directed higher population growth into the big eastern states. A lower dollar has boosted Victoria's manufacturing belt and helped reduce its jobless rate to  4.5 per cent, even while the state government has accelerated the loss of cheap baseload power. At least his government is funding an infrastructure boom through a privatisation program that the comrades would also ordinarily protest against.
The ACTU's Melbourne rally, one of 22 union events this month and next, was a protest against supposedly low wages. Yet Australian workers enjoy one of the world's highest wage structures, built on one of the highest minimum wage floors. Australia got through the GFC and the end of a mining boom without any real wage cuts or any sharp increase in joblessness. As the jobless rate falls, businesses are now finding it harder to secure labour.
The ACTU also says it is battling worsening inequality and "insecure" employment. But a Productivity Commission review of the evidence shows inequality has hardly risen at all in three decades: an unbroken 27 years of economic growth and a widely spread rise in living standards. The unions' complaints about the un-unionised gig economy are also largely rubbish. The workforce share of independent contractors has not risen since 2012.
The real aim of these worker rallies is to ensure that a future Labor government in Canberra restores the unions' monopoly bargaining rights over entire industries. Mr Andrews goes along with this because he is part of the same Labor machinery of power and patronage. The law-breaking CFMEU, which now controls Melbourne's construction sites and its ports, does not see why it should even follow the same laws as the rest of society, showing the ethos of a biker gang, not an industrial partner. Comparisons by the CFMEU's John Setka – the federal government to Hitler, and the workers to Gandhi – are execrable.

The ACTU wants to return to prescribed, regulated workplaces that suit traditional unions down to the ground but which are obsolete in the iPhone world. Victoria's prosperity does not depend on anything that the unions want to bring back. Mr Andrews would have done more for Victorians on Tuesday by making the state more attractive to business investment in new job-creating businesses than parading himself as a political bouncer for the labour movement.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol, a state agency comes out with proposal for councils to introduce a weekly food waste and organics collection and move to fortnightly for residual garbage, Dan Andrews comes out swinging aligning himself with the IPA and Herald Sun, saying “not under a labor government” despite identical systems already running smoothly in multiple councils for a couple of years now :bravo:

I don't want this because a small number of people that live in my apartment complex are loving animals that fill our big yellow bins with cat poo poo and food scraps and I don't want to be walking by that stench for an extra 7 days.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

im alan jones posted:

ahh, the principle of cutting welfare for single mums

Yeah this was my "Gillard can gently caress right off" moment too.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I remember the 90’s being full of strikes. My dad worked in construction and the CFMEU/BLF were constantly going on strike and marching through the city.

Are these journalists ignoring the long history of strike action, or have they all just gotten used to the status quo since workers can’t strike without permission these days?

Striking and publicly protesting is a rude thing to do, and in the eyes of the media class there is nothing worse in the world than being rude

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There are no non-scumbag PMs. All that varies is just how much of a scumbag they are

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synthbuttrange posted:

There are no non-scumbag PMs. All that varies is just how much of a scumbag they are

Whitlam :colbert:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

this would be awesome because my recycling bin is full every week and due to composting and Not Being A Moron our waste bin has like 1 bag in it.

so of course it wont happen.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Bad on East Timor

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberra bubble

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

snoremac posted:

Bad on East Timor
For five minutes while trying to fight off a treasonous LNP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_invasion_of_East_Timor

7 December 1975

Balboa 5 were 16 October 1975

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

11 November 1975

Whitlam was a prat and a casual tier racist (He was an Australian) but the historic lambasting about East Timor is absurd.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Serious question:

Who is the most under-rated PM?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberra Bubble O'Bill

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberra Bubble Tea

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Serious question:

Who is the most under-rated PM?

secret maoist spy harold holt

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberra Bubble Soccer

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Canberra Bubble Bobble for GOTY

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Canberra Bauble

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Box of Bunnies posted:

Canberra Bubble Bobble for GOTY

There's probably a romhack called Canberra Bubble Bobble in MAME.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

im alan jones posted:

secret maoist spy harold holt

He was probably my choice.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

I don't want this because a small number of people that live in my apartment complex are loving animals that fill our big yellow bins with cat poo poo and food scraps and I don't want to be walking by that stench for an extra 7 days.

The solution is to kill them, chop them up, and put them in the organics bin(remove all clothing items first to reduce contamination)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Laserface posted:

this would be awesome because my recycling bin is full every week and due to composting and Not Being A Moron our waste bin has like 1 bag in it.

so of course it wont happen.

It’s also real good because methane from organics in landfill is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, where as if it’s properly composted it only emits CO2 instead

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
EVIDENCE is growing the controversial decision to consider moving Australia’s Israeli embassy to Jerusalem was a rushed captain’s call by Scott Morrison.

The Prime Minister sprang it on some of his most senior colleagues and officials with little warning. Our military leaders first knew of it from news reports.
Selected journalists had been briefed on the matter the day before the announcement but Defence Force chief General Angus Campbell had been kept in the dark.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Actually, captain's calls and leaking to the media are good things now.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Lid posted:

EVIDENCE is growing the controversial decision to consider moving Australia’s Israeli embassy to Jerusalem was a rushed captain’s call by Scott Morrison.

The Prime Minister sprang it on some of his most senior colleagues and officials with little warning. Our military leaders first knew of it from news reports.
Selected journalists had been briefed on the matter the day before the announcement but Defence Force chief General Angus Campbell had been kept in the dark.

You reckon former foreign affairs minister Julie Bishop spat out her morning earl gray, then proceeded to start surfing for boards to chair post-2019?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Don Dongington posted:

You reckon former foreign affairs minister Julie Bishop spat out her morning earl gray, then proceeded to start surfing for boards to chair post-2019?

She was doing that straight after Morrison became PM. Sure there's a law firm or Hardies or CSR that she can join the board of.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
For a while it was looking like she might stick around, but I assume that might have had more to do with the dead cat bounce/potential media backing for a coup.

I think we're a few weeks away from the media suddenly becoming very interested in Bill Shorten, and what the sensible centrist labor leader has to offer,

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Also splits

A stoush is brewing in the Coalition over plans to strip religious schools of the right to discriminate against LGBTI students, with conservative MPs angry about being kept in the dark on the changes.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison is considering a special party room meeting on the issue today after he promised urgent action, following a backlash to leaked recommendations of Philip Ruddock's religious freedom review.

The bill was slated for debate this parliamentary sitting fortnight, but as of Thursday morning, Attorney-General Christian Porter was still negotiating details with the Labor opposition.
That has angered conservative Liberal MPs, who argue they should have been consulted first and fear they will be expected to rubber-stamp legislation agreed with Labor - without knowing the full contents of Mr Ruddock's review.
Liberal senator Concetta Fierravanti-Wells, who has discussed her concerns with colleagues, said the report should be made public immediately.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-mps-angry-about-being-kept-in-the-dark-on-gay-students-law-20181025-p50bsc.html

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

evilbastard posted:

So this was waiting for me when I sat down today : Melbourne IT have put out a press release about a Orbital Angular Momentum fibre optic cable chip that will revolutionize optics, including the NBN (somehow)

Why is Science reporting so bad? The article is basically saying they are using circularly polarised light in addition to vertical and horizontal polarisation. Instead they frame it as spin angular momentum that nobody is going to understand and don't even mention polarisation. It took me a minute with my half forgotten knowledge to understand what they were saying.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Lid posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

...repeating, as often as possible, that an A.L.P Government would allow less Asian migrants into the country than the Government.

• Locked thread