Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

got any sevens posted:

gj doing such a good job you obsoleted yourself so a corporation keeps more profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Mousetrap for Millennials is pretty much unchanged except instead of mice your game piece is a Mr Monopoly and instead of a trap you're building a guillotine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Of course BuzzFeed would write that :rolleyes:

But seriously my dad ate those when I was younger and probably still does :gonk:

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Outrail posted:

Mousetrap for Millennials is pretty much unchanged except instead of mice your game piece is a Mr Monopoly and instead of a trap you're building a guillotine.

I want this game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

Unrelated someone kickstart Mousetrap only instead of catching mice it's putting people in a guillotine. I'd back it.

Seriously someone make a Kickstarter and make it a reality

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

spankmeister posted:

Hellman's is awful tasteless crap, no wonder a lot of people don't like mayo in the states

there's a reason Best Carolina says "Dukes or nothing". The fact that they don't dump sugar in it helps.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

there's a reason Best Carolina says "Dukes or nothing". The fact that they don't dump sugar in it helps.

dukes is one of like 4 american food products which i know of no better food product substitutes anywhere on earth

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Man I drunkenly described this exact thing at the bar last week, except instead of Mr Monopoly it was obvious caricatures of famous a-hole capitalists.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

Man I drunkenly described this exact thing at the bar last week, except instead of Mr Monopoly it was obvious caricatures of famous a-hole capitalists.

I'm pretty sure I cribbed this from an almost word for word similar post in this thread but really its just a natural conclusion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I'm pretty sure I cribbed this from an almost word for word similar post in this thread but really its just a natural conclusion.

Oh I bet I stole it from this thread too then

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

My dad got this version of Monopoly as a birthday present years ago. A competitors edition or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dukes is one of like 4 american food products which i know of no better food product substitutes anywhere on earth

Mayo here is better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheMostFrench posted:

My dad got this version of Monopoly as a birthday present years ago. A competitors edition or something.

I don’t see the point in Luxurious Monopoly, but Deluxe Cluedo is kind of interesting.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bad: "saving corporations billions"

Good: fewer olds?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

I almost admire Bloomberg for going all-in on millienial hate-click journalism.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I genuinely miss the days when Scooby Doo had the big reveal at the end of the episode and it was just some cruel, greedy white man out to hurt innocent people for his own gain.

And not a literal monster.

Just seems pointless now.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheMostFrench posted:

A family member bought this years ago but sent it back because the game pieces were made of plastic and not real gold

Not kidding

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

pensions still exist?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

pensions still exist?

Only for boomers!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The university I professor at is having a bit of a Grey Crisis in that they can't hire new people at competitive salaries because the money isn't there. Where is the money? It's going into pension funds for professors who are in their 60s and 70s. How much? The university pays 20% (twenty percent) of these prof salarues into a pension for them. Not matched, just 20% extra.

I mean I'm all for taking care of people but that seems a bit excessive, right?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

mycomancy posted:

The university I professor at is having a bit of a Grey Crisis in that they can't hire new people at competitive salaries because the money isn't there. Where is the money? It's going into pension funds for professors who are in their 60s and 70s. How much? The university pays 20% (twenty percent) of these prof salarues into a pension for them. Not matched, just 20% extra.

there's enough money in certain places for everyone to get that much
certain people are just hogging it

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

mycomancy posted:

In most cases professors are getting paid a pittance compared to the president, dean, and other upper faculty so I'm not sure this is what you should be focsuing on

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

mycomancy posted:

yeah it's all the professors fault those lazy bums (ignores Dean of Athletic Studies driving a wheelbarrow full of money out door)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mycomancy posted:

In the first part of the 1900's when pensions began, old people were never expected to live too far past 70. Olds were expected to retire at 62, enjoy their end collect a pension for ~8 years and then die. They don't do that anymore, they just truck along well into their 80's and 90's.

Of course there's the factor that most of capitalism is founded on forever increased growth, which would cover more and more people being on a pension. Of course the last 30-40 years have shown us that that's just a stupid idea that we still cling to for some reason.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aren’t pensions just money taken out of an employee’s salary that they can take later when they retire (I’m sure I’m oversimplifying it)? If so, then I gave to wonder how the money is being managed by the institution and whether cutting pensions is wage theft.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

mycomancy posted:

lol yes it's totally pensions, please ignore the new $15,000,000 football field and the coach we pay 1/10 of that amount to yearly

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Scary! posted:

Aren’t pensions just money taken out of an employee’s salary that they can take later when they retire (I’m sure I’m oversimplifying it)? If so, then I gave to wonder how the money is being managed by the institution and whether cutting pensions is wage theft.

I don't think so. I think a pension is just "we continue paying you a portion of your salary after you're gone". If is "funded" from the employees pay then the amount they get out far exceeds the amount they put in.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Scary! posted:

Pensions are like extra salary. That's why they don't exist anymore.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Scary! posted:

That money isn't just stored until you get old, it funds old people's current pensions. The problem is young people can't have kids, the population is getting older and the wages don't increase so basically there isn't enough money to get around, not because the system is flawed but because capitalism is.

Of course neoliberals will simply point at the current failing system and go "see? It's just not viable" and cut pensions till they eventually disappear.

Elman has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Oct 25, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Elman posted:

That money isn't just stored until you get old, it funds old people's current pensions. The problem is young people can't have kids, the population is getting older and the wages don't increase so basically there isn't enough money to get around, not because the system is flawed but because capitalism is.

Of course neoliberals will simply point at the current failing system and go "see? It's just not viable" and cut pensions till they eventually disappear.

It's also why they're moving on from a defined-benefit plan to a defined-contribution plan, because it frees the employer from the obligation of paying a certain amount.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Once upon a time the US wasn't a complete shithole with a veneer of opulence

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Scary! posted:

You're right even if they aren't paying into a pension plan. Benefits are offered by employers in lieu of higher pay. A pension is a benefit that is used as a means to pay out lower wages now in exchange for the pension later. It isn't the professors' fault that the employer now can't meet their obligations (or more likely, doesn't want to).

If there was no pension all those professors would have just been paid more while they were working.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Oct 25, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Once upon a time the US wasn't a complete shithole with a veneer of opulence

What like, back in the 1400's or something?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Sounds about right

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

we didn't really nail the veneer of opulence until like the 1870s tbf

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

we didn't really nail the veneer of opulence until like the 1870s tbf

i love our new gilded age

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Azathoth posted:

i love our new gilded age

iirc wealth inequality now is worse than it was then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iirc wealth inequality now is worse than it was then

just means the gild shines brighter