Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ofecks posted:

You have mis-remembered. It seems this feature was brand new in the mobile port:

The original functionality is also present in the manual.

Ah, I misread. I thought we were talking about 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Any reason to save seeds, or go nuts?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

LorneReams posted:

Any reason to save seeds, or go nuts?

Use 'em. They are farmable in the late game.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

SettingSun posted:

Use 'em. They are farmable in the late game.

I'm actually in late game and was afraid a craftable would require them or some other such bullshit. RPGs have broke my brain when it comes to items that appear rare.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It only matters if you're super minmaxy, as each character have a limit on seeds before you're wasting stats.

Minmaxy being like grinding to level 99.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Give your hp and resilience stuff to Veronica at least imo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

I think he means you get to pick the city to zoom to. In the original, SFC, and GBC versions, it merely sent you back to the last place you saved.

If mobile has that, that's pretty neat!

Understandable. The GB/C's resolution is 160x144 whereas SFC is 256x224, nearly 250% more pixels to worth with. While I'm sure it was difficult to squeeze a game of that size onto GB, they did it without many compromises, which is goddamn amazing. I bought it summer of 2001 off the shelf of one of those multi-media stores (Suncoast?) in Auburn, Maine. I was really blown away how high-quality the game was considering the format. That was indeed a magical summer, for more reasons than the game, but plenty of time was spent glued to my yellow GBC, sometimes with a worm light so I could play in the dark.

But anyway, the SFC remake is obviously superior, and you will enjoy it when you get there.

The mobile version is then the first to allow Zooming to a specific destination, of which I had 12 possibilities at game’s end. A great improvement, and I would say that DQII mobile is the definitive vefsion of the game assuming that one can stand the controls.

As for 3, my real regret is missing out on the end-game content specific to that version. Now I need to figure out these labyrinthine guides so that my hero starts with the personality that I want. If anyone knows of a chart or guide that isn’t a complicated platter of arrow spaghetti, I’d love to see it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vegetable posted:

My Dragon Quest XI game has crashed several times relating to autosaves. Apparently these things get corrupted and I've lost like 3 hours of progress in total from this crap. I googled around and couldn't find a lasting solution. Might legit have to stop playing.

If you aren't making actual saves for hours at a time you should be doing so regardless of the existence of autosave. Having multiple saves and saving often are two core things people should do in literally any RPG they play.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Early Act 3 musings:

Between the story going :psyboom: levels of dumb, the terrible action count trial bosses and unashamed retreading / reuse I just really really don't like Act 3. And I'm an absolute mark for DQ3 nostalgia too.

But hey, even 100 hours in I'm still highly tempted to start one of DQII iOS or VII / VIII 3DS tonight.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, I don’t necessarily even disagree with rehashing but I think it’s a matter of perspective, it’s not like the main two acts are all that short so you can feasibly just check out at the credits or boot up your save for the victory tour that every game normally puts in the ending and say you had a full adventure. I’m having fun just going to old places and finding new and malicious monsters literally everywhere and new poo poo to do in every other town in top tier JRPG Dragon Quest XI, that’s my hit take

Iverron
May 13, 2012

The town quests are good, I'll admit that. It's everything else that's sapped by enjoyment.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Iverron posted:

The town quests are good, I'll admit that. It's everything else that's sapped by enjoyment.

tbh id just finish all those and google how to cheese the final boss, it’s not like the Wheel of Harma is there for anything but the postgame DQ grind fanatics. That’s what I’m planning on if the Trials of Durstan burn me out too much

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I just finished the second one, married Gemma and feel that’s a good ending if I never get around to finishing.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Are the Torneko games worth a look? I have no clue what they're about, curious about going opinions.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Have you ever played a roguelike before? That's what they are. Turn-based RPGs with randomly-generated dungeons. And by "turn based", it's literally nothing happens until you make a move, then the game responds accordingly.

I've only briefly tried out the SFC and PS1 Torneko games but they seemed pretty decent. The former has an english patch, the latter was officially released in NA. Obviously the PS1 one looks a lot better, but they both play largely the same. Neither seemed to feature the insane bullshit of the genre's flagships on PC (which could either be a good or bad thing, depending on your tastes).

Fun fact: at the time of PS1 Torneko's launch, I had subscriptions to 3 different gaming mags, all of which covered Playstation. And all 3 declared it to be the worst game they've ever played. This is obviously complete journalistic drivel, as the games are fine examples of roguelikes. The authors either didn't understand the concept, or understood it but hated it for incomprehensible reasons. The game was a severe critical failure, but all the critics were idiots.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 24, 2018

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
All the critics are always idiots.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
After seeing how excited everyone is for XI and how well it's doing I decided to finally take the plunge on this series for real. I can remember beating Dragon Warrior on NES as a kid but getting stuck on 2, frustrated on 3 and watched my brother play bits of 4 before I moved on to other things (Final Fantasy and PC games).

So far I've beaten 1 and 2 on my Android and loved every second of it. As much as I appreciate the history of where they came from and what they were able to do with what they had at the time, I am VERY happy to not have to go back to those 8-bit graphics and UI. *shudder* This SNES flavor of the phone remakes is fantastic!

I'm currently grinding out my Sage and multi-classes in 3 now at the end of the game before Zoma and am nervous about beating the last boss within the 15 round limit for the extra dungeons. Is that all there is I have to do in order to get the after game dungeons? It's really frustrating trying to look things up for this game as the differences between the various versions are numerous. I know it's been mentioned that the mini medals are supposed to unlock something but not sure if that's in this version as there is no Pachisi dungeons like the GBC version. At least, I've yet to find a single one if they are in the phone version. Did I miss them somehow?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
One question I had about DQ11 is was this game the one that had the tech that allowed it to go from very high fidelity and switch to 16bit+ graphics, or was that something else, because that looked pretty cool, but I hadn't heard anything since.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Demtor posted:

I'm currently grinding out my Sage and multi-classes in 3 now at the end of the game before Zoma and am nervous about beating the last boss within the 15 round limit for the extra dungeons. Is that all there is I have to do in order to get the after game dungeons? It's really frustrating trying to look things up for this game as the differences between the various versions are numerous. I know it's been mentioned that the mini medals are supposed to unlock something but not sure if that's in this version as there is no Pachisi dungeons like the GBC version. At least, I've yet to find a single one if they are in the phone version. Did I miss them somehow?

The part I bolded above is something I too would like to know as I'm about to start an SFC replay of DQIII. As for the latter bit, I was told a few pages back that the mobile version of 3 is basically the SFC version with a different translation (how different and better or worse, I can't say) but no combat animations and no Pachisi. That basically made up my mind for me to play the fan-translated SFC version, of which I do in fact own a physical copy, as the GBC version just puts me off. I'm just now finishing up DQII mobile and have quite enjoyed it, but touch screen controls for movement get up my nose. Tap controls in combat work well, though.

Speaking of DQII, I was basically trolled by the RNG recently. In the original DWII for NES, the Mysterious Hat that is the only headgear for the two casters and the only hat that either can wear, only drops at a 1 in 128 chance from a very late game enemy. In the remakes, it still does but there is one to be found in a chest in the Cave to Rhone and they also drop from Liquid Metal Slimes at a 1/16 rate. The last floor of the cave is a good place to fight the easy mobs that drop it rarely. Metal Babbles do show up there, but always accompanied by five healslimes that are freakishly resistant to Boom/Explodet. This makes it very hard to kill the little fuckers, but without doing so they can heal the Babbles . DQII was the first game in the series where enemies could drop items, but a quirk of the engine is that only the last enemy killed, that which ends the combat, can drop something. I have tested this using save states and can confirm that the game does a check for an item drop when you kill the last enemy in a fight, which is how I save-scummed an extra Mysterious Cap in the SFC version of 2. DQII mobile ups the level up to 50 for all characters and levels converge as you get higher, by the way, which I believe is new to that port.

There are no save states to exploit, so I was grinding down in that last level and having bad luck indeed. I was getting rather frustrated when I got into a fight with three different mobs, one of which is the little pterodactyl that can drop the hat 1/128 times. I tried to set things up so that he would die last, but instead one of my characters killed one mob too quickly and another one randomly attacked the target mob, who died first. Then I killed the last mob, a berserker, who dropped his item - a sledgehammer that is a mid-game weapon I hardly care about. It's a 1/32 drop from him, but that was taking the piss. Finally I did get a hat to drop. Minutes later, I was grinding out the last few levels on floor 2 of Hargon's castle because it's nothing but liquid metal slimes and those clowns that resurrect other enemies and I had a third cap drop randomly. Firstly, that's kind of taking the piss... secondly, if you're going to try and farm another Mad Cap, Hargon 2 is probably the best place to do it. Metal Babbles are a pain in the arse, but having an eightfold higher chance of dropping a great item is probably still better.

By the way, everything that I have ever read about the Mysterious Hat/Mad Cap in 2 says that it only reduces MP costs in combat. I believe that this is true in the NES and SFC versions, though I haven't tested it, and may be different on the GBC, but in the mobile version it definitely works outside of battle as the game shows you the cost of a spell before casting it, both in combat and on the world map.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

LorneReams posted:

One question I had about DQ11 is was this game the one that had the tech that allowed it to go from very high fidelity and switch to 16bit+ graphics, or was that something else, because that looked pretty cool, but I hadn't heard anything since.
The 3DS version was the one that could switch between 3D and classic DQ graphics. Sadly, Squenix decided not to localize that version.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DQXI had the best first month of any DQ in the west apparently.
Hopefully that will convince them that there's a market for XI on 3DS.

I might even get the Switch version if they make it so you can (Act 3) Marry whoever you want instead of Gemma Sylvando.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."

JustJeff88 posted:

*Mysterious Hat/Mad Cap in 2 frustration story*

:eek: Oh wow. I have heard a lot about 2 and the original NES frustration towards the end game but that's a new one. I remember getting the hat in a chest on my phone and thinking, "Wow, that seems really OP, but hell ya!" Thankfully, I haven't really had to focus on drop rates for anything in these games yet. I'm sure that will change though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I might even get the Switch version if they make it so you can (Act 3) Marry whoever you want instead of Gemma Sylvando.

I really hope that they do bring it to the West. It's not impossible; they were dead set on not translating VII and VIII because they didn't think there was a market for it, but fan interest eventually changed their mind.

I also am holding out for the Switch version, but I'm worried that it will be technically poor like the Japanese eversion of Heroes I and II for the Switch.

Demtor posted:

:eek: Oh wow. I have heard a lot about 2 and the original NES frustration towards the end game but that's a new one. I remember getting the hat in a chest on my phone and thinking, "Wow, that seems really OP, but hell ya!" Thankfully, I haven't really had to focus on drop rates for anything in these games yet. I'm sure that will change though.

Honestly, I had forgotten about the fact that Liquid Metals are all over Hargon 2, but I did not know that they dropped the Mad Cap at a 1/16 rate in the GBC and Mobile ports. I found out the latter on the DQ wiki a few days ago, but having played the SFC version over two years ago, I didn't recall where Liquid Metals were more abundant and make the connection to go there. If I had, I would have gone to the final castle immediately and probably been a lot less frustrated.

Fake Edit: By the way, I am perfectly aware that this is all optional gear, but I stand by my position that random drops are bad design.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 24, 2018

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, I'd rebuy X1 if the 3DS version was translated. Playing the whole game in 2D mode looks incredible.

Just bought 1/2/3 on mobile, since it seems like that's probably the easiest way to get access to good versions of them? Hopefully they start porting this stuff to PC, I'm deep in the Dragon Quest hole now I think.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

JustJeff88 posted:

Honestly, I had forgotten about the fact that Liquid Metals are all over Hargon 2, but I did not know that they dropped the Mad Cap at a 1/16 rate in the GBC and Mobile ports. I found out the latter on the DQ wiki a few days ago, but having played the SFC version over two years ago, I didn't recall where Liquid Metals were more abundant and make the connection to go there. If I had, I would have gone to the final castle immediately and probably been a lot less frustrated.

Fake Edit: By the way, I am perfectly aware that this is all optional gear, but I stand by my position that random drops are bad design.

LMSs are rear end to fight in 2 anyway. No crithax fighters/Alena, no hatchet man/Thunder Thrust. You either gotta connect 5 melee attacks or get a lucky crit (which in 2 is a flat 1/32 chance IIRC, unless you're using the Sword of Ruin which is 1/8 but with a 1/4 chance of not even letting you act). I honestly treat them as not being in the game tbh.

Rookersh posted:

Just bought 1/2/3 on mobile, since it seems like that's probably the easiest way to get access to good versions of them? Hopefully they start porting this stuff to PC, I'm deep in the Dragon Quest hole now I think.

Considering the mobile versions of those games have been ported to PS4 in Japan the possibility of them seeing PC ports at some point isn't non-existant. Whether they will or not is up in the air though, and I'm not entirely sure they're marketable on PC at their current prices either. I still want to believe though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

LMSs are rear end to fight in 2 anyway. No crithax fighters/Alena, no hatchet man/Thunder Thrust. You either gotta connect 5 melee attacks or get a lucky crit (which in 2 is a flat 1/32 chance IIRC, unless you're using the Sword of Ruin which is 1/8 but with a 1/4 chance of not even letting you act). I honestly treat them as not being in the game tbh.

Very true, but not impossible. At least in the mobile version, sometimes they have only three hit points. Assuming I'm not going for their drop, in which case I have to kill everything else first which makes things much harder, I just give Falcon Blades to both princes and have everyone attack. The crit rate is very low in this game and no mistake; I believe that I read that it sits at between one and two percent. So, I just have everyone attack and hope that I can land a few hits on the little fucker before he scarpers.

Mind you, I don't recommend farming them for experience. In terms of gains per minute or hour, you're better off just fighting other things and counting it a bonus if you do manage to snuff one. In terms of trying to get an extra Mad Cap in the GBC/Mobile versions, though, they're probably still your best bet and the second floor of Hargon's castle is the best spot for them. A 1 in 16 chance is a drat sight better than 1 in 128, even if the mobs for the latter are for more abundant and squishy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Rookersh posted:

Just bought 1/2/3 on mobile, since it seems like that's probably the easiest way to get access to good versions of them?

If you can stand looking at non-integer-scaled 2D without a filter, go for mobile 1 & 2, sure. Mobile 3 seemed to fix that (they added what appears to be a bilinear filter), but I still don't recommend it due to removed content and graphics.

Messing around with emulators, ROMs and IPS patches will give you the real deal but they can be difficult to set up.

Metal Babbles in the original DW2 were pretty easy to kill. Due to the defense calculations, you often did more than 1 damage at a time to metals. At a high enough level (and/or a powerful weapon), the hero will one-shot them with a normal attack.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 24, 2018

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Metal Babbles in the original DW2 were pretty easy to kill. Due to the defense calculations, you often did more than 1 damage at a time to metals. At a high enough level (and/or a powerful weapon), the hero will one-shot them with a normal attack.

A rare case of the original being less cruel than the remakes. I never did more than 1 damage on a non-crit with anyone in my mobile playthrough, to my regret.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Demtor posted:

After seeing how excited everyone is for XI and how well it's doing I decided to finally take the plunge on this series for real. I can remember beating Dragon Warrior on NES as a kid but getting stuck on 2, frustrated on 3 and watched my brother play bits of 4 before I moved on to other things (Final Fantasy and PC games).

So far I've beaten 1 and 2 on my Android and loved every second of it. As much as I appreciate the history of where they came from and what they were able to do with what they had at the time, I am VERY happy to not have to go back to those 8-bit graphics and UI. *shudder* This SNES flavor of the phone remakes is fantastic!

afaik theres only one postgame dungeon in dq3 sfc and it unlocks when you beat the game no questions asked. the superboss in it has stuff depending on turn count though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Josuke Higashikata posted:

SAME

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I just realised... Int doesn't mean dick in older DQ games, does it? I was going to make my Hero in 3 for the SFC have a personality with high Int growth in order to offset the fact that heroes don't get many MP, but I think that Int has nothing to do with MP growth at all. Can anyone confirm or deny? I know that that was how it was in the NES games; it's not impossible that they changed it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

JustJeff88 posted:

I just realised... Int doesn't mean dick in older DQ games, does it? I was going to make my Hero in 3 for the SFC have a personality with high Int growth in order to offset the fact that heroes don't get many MP, but I think that Int has nothing to do with MP growth at all. Can anyone confirm or deny? I know that that was how it was in the NES games; it's not impossible that they changed it.

MP and HP growth is based on your INT and VIT growth iirc so that would be good, yes

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Int/Wisdom absolutely affects MP growth. I made a Genius Thief on my current playthrough and by level 3 she had more MP than the Hero and the Priest combined. High Int in 3 can also lead to spells being learned at earlier levels than normal.

I think if you're min/maxing though that Agility or Vitality/Resilience helps more. Half your Agility makes up your base defense in 3.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

afaik theres only one postgame dungeon in dq3 sfc and it unlocks when you beat the game no questions asked. the superboss in it has stuff depending on turn count though

Ahhh, okay. Thanks. I believe the "ice dungeon" is not in the phone version. There is still the bonus sky heaven involving Cloudsgate Citadel (Zenithia) that can be reached at the back of the Dragon Queen Castle, in the windows, after the credits roll. Which has some sort of bad rear end dragon as the boss.

Found this info on http://www.realmofdarkness.net
54. What is the wish that the God Dragon will grant? If you defeat it in 35 turns or less the God Dragon will grant you 1 wish. The choices are a new Pachisi Track which is the largest of any in the game, it will appear in a well in Zipangu if you choose this option. 2nd choice is reviving your father Ortega, who will be waiting for you in Aliahan. 3rd choice is reading the Naughty Book, which changes your character's personality.

55. Is it possible to get more wishes if I defeat the God Dragon again? Yes, after you make your choice you can get another wish if you defeat God Dragon again, but it will have to be in 25 turns or less. Then you can get the 3rd wish if you defeat it within 15 turns.

Since Pachisi isn't in the phone version, I wonder if they made a different wish or just took it out. Read a dirty mag or revive your dead father. Huh. Choices... choices.

OR I could salute this game and move on to DQIV having just finished off Zoma! Hmm, grind a poo poo ton or play arguably the best game in the series...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Int/Wisdom absolutely affects MP growth. I made a Genius Thief on my current playthrough and by level 3 she had more MP than the Hero and the Priest combined. High Int in 3 can also lead to spells being learned at earlier levels than normal.

I think if you're min/maxing though that Agility or Vitality/Resilience helps more. Half your Agility makes up your base defense in 3.

Thanks for letting me know, but I want to try a Hero with a better pool of MP. DQIII isn't terribly hard, to be honest, so I don't see a need to min-max. I'm also trying to decide my party composition... I want to try getting a Goof-Off up to 20 and making him a sage because I've never done it and I'd like to eventually have someone who can use the Merchant and Thief abilities that use MP, but I will miss having a wizard and I don't think that I could possibly run without a Pilgrim and keep my sanity.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
How long is act 2 compared to act 1?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Maybe 40% of Act 1’s length imo

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Go have to say i find the overly sexualized Jade stuff outfits and abilities awkward because it doesn't fit within her story arc or personality of being a martial artist princess, seems out of place for sure, almost like they needed a girl to play dress up with and she drew the short straw.

That said, she's my anime princess dress up waifu :3

Sylvando on the other hand can gently caress off with his forced gayness. I don't dislike him or what he represents, but it's so in your face it annoys me greatly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Slayerjerman posted:

Sylvando on the other hand can gently caress off with his forced gayness. I don't dislike him or what he represents, but it's so in your face it annoys me greatly.

Didn't realize Koichi Sugiyama had an account here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Slayerjerman posted:

Go have to say i find the overly sexualized Jade stuff outfits and abilities awkward because it doesn't fit within her story arc or personality of being a martial artist princess, seems out of place for sure, almost like they needed a girl to play dress up with and she drew the short straw.

They do try to justify it a little bit; it's kinda flimsy but she gets more than say Jessica, who has a lot of sexualized costumes and no real in character justification for them. If you're still early in the game you probably haven't seen it yet though.