Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Styles Bitchley posted:

I dunno the last couple of games I've seen Matthew Stafford do some Roethlisberger plays where he just stands there and throws while dudes are basically inches away all around him. Scared the hell out of me, and not sure I'd call those clean pockets. But whatever works. Just refreshing to see the o-line stiffen up and even push people on running plays.

Well you have to imagine that the new QB safety rules are also helping just enough that if they are better at run blocking then pass blocking then there's a buffer of confusion that benefits us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Styles Bitchley posted:

Pretty impressed when the Good Lions show up but looking at the remaining schedule if they don't put that out consistently they'll be lucky to make 8-8.

8 Oct 28 SEA @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM
9 Nov 04 DET @ MIN U.S. Bank Stadium 1:00 PM
10 Nov 11 DET @ CHI Soldier Field 1:00 PM
11 Nov 18 CAR @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM
12 Nov 22 CHI @ DET Ford Field 12:30 PM
13 Dec 02 LA @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM
14 Dec 09 DET @ ARI State Farm Stadium 4:25 PM
15 Dec 16 DET @ BUF New Era Field 1:00 PM
16 Dec 23 MIN @ DET Ford Field 1:00 PM
17 Dec 30 DET @ GB Lambeau Field 1:00 PM

A lot of division games in the final stretch. I think they can beat the bears either once or twice. The Vikings either 0 or 1 times and Green Bay we'll say is a 50/50 game at best. They can definitely beat out-of-division Arizona and Buffalo, with the Seahawks as a "maybe/probably" and the Rams as a "no".

That would give a best-case scenario of 10-6 (not super likely in my opinion) and a worst case of 6-10. 8-8 is definitely a likely landing spot. The quest to make the cutoff for the playoffs is still an extremely even race, there are about 12 teams that are in position to try to go to the playoffs and only three that are really eliminated. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Lions were able to get a wildcard spot but they'll have to earn it. Dropping early games against worse opponents (49ers, Jets) is not helping them in this situation.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SKULL.GIF posted:

You mean LA?

Look, there's only two good teams in the league this year, can you blame him for getting them mixed up?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Now that I think of it, it would be pretty hilarious if the tie resulted in Minnesota winning the division, Green Bay taking the wildcard spot and Detroit missing the playoffs by half a game.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Flikken posted:

Yes, because sliding no longer counts as giving yourself up now too!
https://youtu.be/TF82jZ4VJfc

The browns don't have Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger at QB. So it doesn't count. I thought you knew this?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Now that I think of it, it would be pretty hilarious if the tie resulted in Minnesota winning the division, Green Bay taking the wildcard spot and Detroit missing the playoffs by half a game.

:cripes:

It would be the most Lions thing that could happen this year. The line looks good, they find a run game, they beat some good teams... and it doesn't matter.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Talking about the Lions' offensive line:

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/1054886403321069569

Also, does Houston even have an offensive line? :stare:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1054858329078431744?s=20

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1054834419826114560?s=20

Good news, but waiting to see extent of injuries.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lions just got the run stopping monster dt snacks Harrison for a 5th. He's also under control through 2020. This is a steal. Though they still have no DE until Ansah comes back.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 24, 2018

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I don't know much about him but I like the play, the willingness to make trades to shore up clear weaknesses.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
SNACKS

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Comfortador posted:

I don't know much about him but I like the play, the willingness to make trades to shore up clear weaknesses.

It's an amazing trade. From what I've seen he's one of the top players in the league at what he does (stopping the run), and is under a reasonable contract until 2020. Quinn hit a home run with this move.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's an amazing trade. From what I've seen he's one of the top players in the league at what he does (stopping the run), and is under a reasonable contract until 2020. Quinn hit a home run with this move.

And if he doesn't pan out he can be cut with no dead money.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Scipiotik posted:

And if he doesn't pan out he can be cut with no dead money.

The 5th was also the extra we got from the 49ers for sending Tomlinson their way. Unless the dude suddenly implodes, this is a fantastic deal.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

With the post from the other day about the Packers in the red zone, here's some analysis (and a bit of history) on the upcoming Rams game...

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/packers/a-familiar-packers-and-rams-matchup/

quote:

In the 2001 playoffs, an aging, once great Packer team ran into a buzz saw. The 1999 Rams came out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl behind NFL legend Dick Vermeil, and the offense had yet to slow down. The 2001 version, led by Vermeil protege Mike Martz, led the league in scoring by nearly 100 points over their next closest follower with 503, and the paltry 390 put up by Mike Sherman’s Packers wasn’t even in the same ballpark. The Rams ranked 5th in defense that season, just edging a pretty good Packer defense, which finished 8th.

In order to win the game, the Packers would have to keep pace with an offense that hadn’t really been figured out yet, (though it would be conquered by Bill Belichick in the Super Bowl).

This game is often viewed as a black mark on Brett Favre’s legacy, and I believe, is the biggest single factor in his reputation as a frequent thrower of interceptions. In truth, I believe this is one of Favre’s greatest and most fearless efforts. While it was not a good game, and Favre’s picks were what put them in the hole in the first place, Favre played appropriately. A conservative game plan was going to bury the Packers just as surely as anything, and Favre, to his credit, kept throwing and throwing and throwing, even though it made his eventual final stat line embarrassing. The Packer receivers in 2001 were simply not as talented as Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, and while Ahman Green was a fine player, Marshall Faulk was one of the greatest running backs of all time, especially as a receiver.

Ultimately, the quarterback was well aware of exactly what was going on and made it clear with his play that the very team itself, from talent, to coaching to game plan, were simply incapable of competing. Favre’s reputation is that of a strong-armed country bumpkin who just improvs all game, but that reputation is backed up by the facts. To a man, Favre’s teammates testify that he knew every play cold, and while Favre did lead the league in picks three times, he also lead the league in interception percentage (meaning he barely threw any) once. For any post-merger quarterback with more that 2,000 career attempts, Favre actually has the 19th lowest interception percentage at 3.3% of passes.

Favre is better than Phil Simms, Warren Moon, Jim McMahon, Boomer Esiason, Jim Kelly, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theismann, Jim Plunkett and Terry Bradshaw. Kurt Warner, Troy Aikman and John Elway were just barely more careful with the ball than Favre. This six-pick playoff game went a long way towards defining Favre’s legacy, and it’s not really fair. Taking risks was their only chance, and Favre ended up bearing more ridicule than he ever deserved for doing the right thing.

quote:

The modern Rams present a similar challenge to that 2001 team. They lead the league in scoring, again by a large margin, with 235 points. They run an innovative offense with a forward-thinking coach in the brilliant Sean McVay, one of the league’s best receivers in Brandin Cooks and by far the best running back in the league. While Jared Goff is no Kurt Warner, he executes McVay’s game plan brilliantly, and Goff’s understanding of McVay’s philosophy generates more wide open receivers than almost any other team. When was the last time you saw the Packers hit a play this long and this open?

Mike Pettine is going to be facing his greatest challenge by far. Many assume that a sophisticated offense needs to be complex, so as to pull the wool completely over the defense’s eyes. In truth, it’s not complexity that makes an offense tricky. Beating the defense is all about presenting impossible choices, not hidden choices. The biggest asset for the Rams is Todd Gurley. Most running backs are interchangeable, but Gurley is the rare special case. Gurley is as dangerous as a receiver as he is a back, and has the same career yards per reception average as most slot receivers. He is often more dangerous than the average outside receiver, and that allows the Rams to flip back and forth between running and passing regardless of the defense.

Gurley is the best all-around running back since Marshall Faulk at the height of the Greatest Show on Turf era, and because of his abilities as a receiver, he frequently faces nickel and dime defenses as a runner.

The challenge for the Packers on Sunday is to use their hybrid players on defense to counter Los Angeles’ ability to run any play from their base personnel. The biggest problem for them is that it really helps to be able to generate a pass rush with base personnel. The Rams eat overloads alive and attempting to lean towards run or pass will get you destroyed.

They probably won’t stop the Rams as no one stops the Rams, and to keep up, Aaron Rodgers will probably need to emulate Favre more than he would like. Settling for field goals will get them killed, and any wasted possession will leave them trailing. Unfortunately, with Rodgers banged up, the Packers have frequently stalled out in the red zone and settled for field goals. If the Packers attempt more than one field goal on Sunday, they’re going to lose.

My biggest fear is that Mike McCarthy will have the team attempting field goals down 21 points instead of playing hyper-aggressive offense. The Rams feed off of teams that don’t understand how they have to play against the Rams, and McCarthy isn’t exactly progressive in adjusting his game plans. McVay is one of the three best coaches in football along with Shanahan and Belichick, who the Packers just happen to face in back-to-back-to-back games. If Mike McCarthy is going to stick around in 2019, he has to prove he can compete with the best. McVay’s team is supremely talented and extremely well coached. To prove the Packers are their equal will take an effort that McCarthy hasn’t produced since 2010.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I’m going to look forward to the Rams pasting Greenbay and laying Rogers on his rear end over and over again.

I’m not sure how the Vikings/Saints are going to go. As much as I want the Vikings to win I think the Saints chip on their shoulder will have them playing way more aggressive that the Vikings will anticipate.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

With the post from the other day about the Packers in the red zone, here's some analysis (and a bit of history) on the upcoming Rams game...

https://shepherdexpress.com/sports/packers/a-familiar-packers-and-rams-matchup/

That playoff game against the Rams is still to this day the only NFL game I have ever attended.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I’m going to look forward to the Rams pasting Greenbay and laying Rogers on his rear end over and over again.

I’m not sure how the Vikings/Saints are going to go. As much as I want the Vikings to win I think the Saints chip on their shoulder will have them playing way more aggressive that the Vikings will anticipate.

I'm hesitantly picking the Vikings only because it's at home. That game is a total tossup.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Scipiotik posted:

Lions just got the run stopping monster dt snacks Harrison for a 5th. He's also under control through 2020. This is a steal. Though they still have no DE until Ansah comes back.

This is a huge get for the Lions. I don't think I like the idea of them learning how to run the ball and stop the run.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

This is a huge get for the Lions. I don't think I like the idea of them learning how to run the ball and stop the run.

I think the Lions have a somewhat decent chance to nab a wild-card spot, although their schedule is pretty hard from here on out. After their week 1 shellacking by the Jets who would've thought they'd be able to come so far

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

I wrote off the Lions in week 1 and swore that I wasn't gonna get excited no matter what happened, but it turns out I'm a loving liar.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No idea who this guy is but anybody named Snacks is okay by me.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

VJeff posted:

No idea who this guy is but anybody named Snacks is okay by me.

he owns:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chester’s Hot Fries are a God Tier snack.

I like this guy, already.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AyeyoKEJO/status/1055210778209538048

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Still looking for the catch to that Snacks trade. He's only 29 and Lions pay <$5mil this year, $6.75mil next year, and $9mil in 2020.

He's not too old, still consistently productive, and not a huge cap hit. I would think any team that could use a DT would give up a third or fourth or better for him.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

giants filled him to the brim with bees and on the first play of their next game after initial impact on the line he's going to explode, harming several lions and seahawks

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

rabidsquid posted:

giants filled him to the brim with bees and on the first play of their next game after initial impact on the line he's going to explode, harming several lions and seahawks

Well, still better than most of the trades Millen made.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well, still better than most of the trades Millen made.

lol

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Apples McGrind posted:

I wrote off the Lions in week 1 and swore that I wasn't gonna get excited no matter what happened, but it turns out I'm a loving liar.

They can't just destroy you once. The power of the lions is they keep bringing you back for more pain.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's nice getting drunk, trashing the house and going to sleep at 5pm less than 50% of your NFL sundays.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The great thing about the Lions is that either they win and it's like you found money you didn't thin was there, or they lose early enough in the day that you can spend the rest of the day doing something productive.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

The great thing about the Lions is that either they win and it's like you found money you didn't thin was there, or they lose early enough in the day that you can spend the rest of the day doing something productive.

And generally, they'll find one or two new and inventive ways to lose every year!

zero-second hail mary on a facemask that didn't happen, lookin' at you
ten second runoff
Calvin Johnson caught it, at least it hosed the cowboys over later that year

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Styles Bitchley posted:

Still looking for the catch to that Snacks trade. He's only 29 and Lions pay <$5mil this year, $6.75mil next year, and $9mil in 2020.

He's not too old, still consistently productive, and not a huge cap hit. I would think any team that could use a DT would give up a third or fourth or better for him.

That catch is that it's a passing league but he doesn't really rush the passer well. He's a very specific piece that the Giants at least did not use on third down. So he's only in the game to stop the run, although who knows if that's exactly how the Lions will use him. Finally, his contract isn't as small as it could be. That money coming due is primarily why he was traded in the first place.

With all of this in mind, I personally still think it was a great trade. But this helps to explain why they managed to nab him for a 5th rounder.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

That catch is that it's a passing league but he doesn't really rush the passer well. He's a very specific piece that the Giants at least did not use on third down. So he's only in the game to stop the run, although who knows if that's exactly how the Lions will use him. Finally, his contract isn't as small as it could be. That money coming due is primarily why he was traded in the first place.

With all of this in mind, I personally still think it was a great trade. But this helps to explain why they managed to nab him for a 5th rounder.

Is he really that bad at rushing the passer? He might not get sacks, but I remember seeing him constantly collapse the pocket before he got paid.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Sataere posted:

Is he really that bad at rushing the passer? He might not get sacks, but I remember seeing him constantly collapse the pocket before he got paid.

If he stuffs the run, then we've freed up Jarrad Davis to fling himself at the QB until he doesn't woefully overshoot them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sataere posted:

He's not completely useless but he's bad enough that he was never on the field in passing situations for the Giants. He can collapse the pocket but his primary role is being that two-gap, clogging run-stuffer that just creates havoc and blows up inside runs. He has one QB hit this year and zero sacks, but if the Lions expand his role it's possible that picks up. It's hard to sack the quarterback on a run play after all. He can collapse the pocket a bit but his biggest talent is just refusing to be moved and taking on double teams.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Yeah maybe Giants just thought his utility was too limited for what they wanted in a DT. But for a fifth....

I think that type of defensive player is just what Patricia likes, having a toolbox of guys to scheme up in packages. On that note Jarrad Davis had his best game ever against Miami, and was about the highest rated LB for the entire week. It looks like these guys are finally either learning to play or the staff has figured out strengths and weaknesses and put players in the best position to succeed. Will be interesting if they keep Davis as a spy on Russell Wilson this week. I think he can run him down. Making the tackle once he gets there is another thing.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Play posted:

He's not completely useless but he's bad enough that he was never on the field in passing situations for the Giants. He can collapse the pocket but his primary role is being that two-gap, clogging run-stuffer that just creates havoc and blows up inside runs. He has one QB hit this year and zero sacks, but if the Lions expand his role it's possible that picks up. It's hard to sack the quarterback on a run play after all. He can collapse the pocket a bit but his biggest talent is just refusing to be moved and taking on double teams.

forgive me for being british and dumb, but if he's assaulting a two gap doesn't that mean he's occupying to opposing o-linemen, so the rest of the d-line are in straight 1 on 1s? I mean, I am probably being dumb but I am willing to learn to be less dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

forgive me for being british and dumb, but if he's assaulting a two gap doesn't that mean he's occupying to opposing o-linemen, so the rest of the d-line are in straight 1 on 1s? I mean, I am probably being dumb but I am willing to learn to be less dumb

No worries. I'm pretty sure Damon Harrison is a nose tackle, which is usually one of if not the largest man on the field. That means he usually lines up in the 0 technique which is head up over the center (as opposed to shaded to one side or the other, or across from the guard/tackle).

The nose tackle's job in the middle of the defense is to guard BOTH A gaps, which are the gaps on either side of the center. So on run plays, the center will engage him to make the block (or he'll be double-teamed by the center and a guard) and it's his job to hold that block without giving ground and be prepared to guard both gaps on either side of the center. He would be the only player on the defense that is responsible for two gaps.

Whether he's being double-teamed or not isn't as important as the gaps, but if he is double teamed it's still his job to absorb the blocks, guard the gaps and try to prevent the guard from successfully double teaming him and moving up to the next level of the defense. I'm not sure if I've explained this that well but the nose tackle is a special position only found in 3-4 defenses and is not the exact same thing as a defensive tackle. It's basically a position that is only designed to stop runs up the middle and absorb blocks without being moved.