Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
What I did like was Matt beating the poo poo out of Bullseye except right at the end when Bullseye toppled a small cabinet on him, then 1 episode later Matt almost gets his rear end handed to him by a glorified tailor, and Bullseye is considered the major threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The glorified tailor is a fuckin giant ex con. Dude was housing a swat team of fbi agents.

And I forgot about the whole magic dragon bone stuff, did they hint at all that some of the residuals of that might have been helping Matt heal quicker?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He’s also The Gladiator and used to be a mob enforcer if my dim recollections of comics I read back in the 80s are accurate.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How is the new Daredevil?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
YOu guys are all forgetting Matt basically getting filleted by Nobu is S1. That was a completely unbelievable amount of damage for him to walk away from.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

im at ep 5
ninja count: 0 so far
annoying friend behaviour: pretty high
villain rating: good
fights: hallwayish
so its worth watching so far

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It’s ok. But definitely the weakest season of the show.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oasx posted:

I think it's better than the Hand parts of season two, worse than the Punisher parts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

I think it's better than the Hand parts of season two, worse than the Punisher parts.

It's better complete season for sure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rocksicles posted:

It's better complete season for sure.

Eh. My biggest issue is Fisk. I never really liked him, and in this season he felt too smart, too well prepared, too good at manipulating people. Season one made far better use of him, showing his flaws having just as great an impact as his strengths. Season three, I feel suffers badly from substituting JUST AS FISK PLANNED for plot or character development.

Doesn't help that the other villain, Bullseye, is such a nothing character despite a good actor doing everything he can with what little he's given.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 25, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

Eh. My biggest issue is Fisk. I never really liked him, and in this season he felt too smart, too well prepared, too good at manipulating people. Season one made far better use of him, showing his flaws having just as great an impact as his strengths. Season three, I feel suffers badly from substituting JUST AS FISK PLANNED for plot or character development.

Doesn't help that the other villain, Bullseye, is such a nothing character despite a good actor doing everything he can with what little he's given.

I dunno, coming from a Spider-Man comic background i see Fisk in a different light, This show has been Fisk as a background powerhouse up until now, where he's become the actual Kingpin.
The season long arc of Dex becoming Bullseye was great from start to finish, they didn't make a thing about his powers, which he obviously has. They didn't try and make him a target for sympathy, he just was a broken guy trying hard to be the right thing and was taken complete advantage of, opening himself up to his real nature. For me his story was brilliant.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
All of the Marvel shows are too long, but most of them start off strong and peter out aimlessly around episode 9 or 10. DDS3 feels more consistent because the slower episodes are front loaded, and it ramps up steadily from there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rocksicles posted:

I dunno, coming from a Spider-Man comic background i see Fisk in a different light, This show has been Fisk as a background powerhouse up until now, where he's become the actual Kingpin.
The season long arc of Dex becoming Bullseye was great from start to finish, they didn't make a thing about his powers, which he obviously has. They didn't try and make him a target for sympathy, he just was a broken guy trying hard to be the right thing and was taken complete advantage of, opening himself up to his real nature. For me his story was brilliant.

I personally don't care if Fisk is the Kingpin, to me this season relied much too heavily on Fisk having planned ahead for everything until the last couple of episodes where he hasn't because we aren't gonna have a Fisk/Matt fistfight otherwise. Season one Fisk worked for me as a character, even if I didn't like him, because his intelligence and ruthlessness were matched equally by his temper getting the better of him and his terrible people skills. Taking away Fisk's flaws doesn't make him a better villain, in my opinion, it just makes him boring. I never got the feeling the heroes were outsmarting him, I just got the feeling his plot armor eventually failed to kick in.

Dex was a twitchy psychopath at the beginning and a twitchy psychopath at the end. I have no idea how anyone put up with him in-setting given how hard he was screaming "I am going to murder people."

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cythereal posted:

I personally don't care if Fisk is the Kingpin, to me this season relied much too heavily on Fisk having planned ahead for everything until the last couple of episodes where he hasn't because we aren't gonna have a Fisk/Matt fistfight otherwise. Season one Fisk worked for me as a character, even if I didn't like him, because his intelligence and ruthlessness were matched equally by his temper getting the better of him and his terrible people skills. Taking away Fisk's flaws doesn't make him a better villain, in my opinion, it just makes him boring. I never got the feeling the heroes were outsmarting him, I just got the feeling his plot armor eventually failed to kick in.

Dex was a twitchy psychopath at the beginning and a twitchy psychopath at the end. I have no idea how anyone put up with him in-setting given how hard he was screaming "I am going to murder people."

Yeah, twitchy psychopath from beginning to end for sure, but that prgression from a twitchy psychopath holding it all together from his childhood doctor, to the army, to the fbi, and then his life getting rear end hosed by fisk letting him out the gate was interesting to me. Better than how most Marvel villians grow anway.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Oasx posted:

There is no way it's weaker than season two. Once Elektra showed up Matt became the worst character in his own show and that was before Iron Fist patented it. Also Elektras TJIS IS WHAT I AM nonsense. Also Punisher sections weren't watching either once he got out if prison, The blacksmith or whatever stuff was dull.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Sky. Nuff said.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The more I think about it, it was working for me right up until the last episode. They wrote themselves into a corner with the finale and they didn't do a very good job getting out of it again. Nadeem's last declaration wasn't really the silver bullet they presented it as, but this show has never really understood how courtrooms work. For a while I was hoping Nadeem at least had an audio recording of his murder, that would have been a more convincing nail in the coffin that implicates Fisk in a criminal conspiracy, at the very least for his murder.

Also I like how they had to keep reminding us what SPECIAL AGENT IN CHARGE Hattley's job was every time they said her name, because otherwise we wouldn't remember who she was.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What was up with "Hello Karen, nice to see you again" at the end of episode six? I thought those characters hadn't met.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

He's pretending to be Daredevil. Daredevil has met her.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Narcissus1916 posted:

What was up with "Hello Karen, nice to see you again" at the end of episode six? I thought those characters hadn't met.

It was part of Fisk's plan to make it seem like that was the actual Daredevil, and I think Karen has admitted publicly that she has met / been rescued by the Daredevil (?).

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lid posted:

There is no way it's weaker than season two. Once Elektra showed up Matt became the worst character in his own show and that was before Iron Fist patented it.

Come to think of it, I never realized that she's not mentioned even once through the whole season. You'd expect at least a cursory reference to The Love of Matt's Life, although I'm glad she's not in this season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BiggerBoat posted:

Come to think of it, I never realized that she's not mentioned even once through the whole season. You'd expect at least a cursory reference to The Love of Matt's Life, although I'm glad she's not in this season.

matt mentions her at the beginning a few times when he's healing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She's also mentioned in episode 3 or 4 by mind Fisk

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
In general, I'm tired of villains who are just waaaaay too effective at pulling strings and scheming, and as such Fisk can get tiresome. Still, at least thus far this is great, easily one of the stronger Netflix Marvel half-seasons. But we'll see where it goes.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In general, I'm tired of villains who are just waaaaay too effective at pulling strings and scheming, and as such Fisk can get tiresome. Still, at least thus far this is great, easily one of the stronger Netflix Marvel half-seasons. But we'll see where it goes.

The most egregious example of this is in episode 13? 12? where he gets to the grand jury while they are deliberating on Nadeem's testimony. The rest of it didn't seem too farfetched since I could believe he was slowly turning people while he was in prison.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Xealot posted:

I agree, on all points. I did appreciate the nuance that even Fisk had a line. That could've been another moment where he's just Worst Bad Guy who doesn't even care about this Holocaust survivor, but I'm glad they went the other way. Also, it was pretty efficient storytelling later, that Dex is an overeager dog who really doesn't have a line and can't be controlled or trusted.

Are there any art historians in this thread, though? That painting looks so post-war Abstract Expressionist to me. Apparently these Polish Jews had a really modern aesthetic sensibility in the early 40's.

Slashrat posted:

My read of that scene was completely different. I didn't get the impression that there was any attempted comparison between Fisk and Nazis. Rather there was his acknowledgement that her sentimental claim to the paint is as great, if not greater, than his own, followed then by him stating that he will respect that, because Vanessa would want that. It hammers home that the only reason he is not a complete monster and takes the painting anyway is that he, like Dex, is using Vanessa like a North Star.

This sets up just what the implications are when Vanessa later demands to be an active participant in the crimes he commit, and immediately takes the initiative to be more ruthless than he is. The person he considered his sole source of moral guidance instead begins to push him to become even more of a monster.

I actually really agree that the point was not to make a comparison between Fisk and 'Nazisim' but I just didn't think they executed it very well.

It's hard to say that there's no 'attempted comparison' when a Jewish survivor says literally that he's just like the wolves that came to her door. That IS a definite comparison.

I did think it was interesting they specifically didn't use the word Nazi and Fisk isn't dumb so obviously he must know what she's talking about, but his complete lack of reaction to her story except to sort of muse on a general idea of 'I could take this by force or I could not' and a comparison of I suppose...who has the more worthy bond of love to it, for him she could have been talking about anything I think.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
I was really disappointed Fisk didn't have a mic or something on when Karen came to visit and the idea the room wasn't wired up like that is ridiculous and it was baffling to me that the FBI guys weren't coming in to arrest her for admitting to the murder. Also disappointed Foggys totally inconsequential wife wasn't murdered, I felt so sure after all their scenes were just pretty much 'oh foggy bear I wuv you' it was gonna happen

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ulex minor posted:

I actually really agree that the point was not to make a comparison between Fisk and 'Nazisim' but I just didn't think they executed it very well.

It's hard to say that there's no 'attempted comparison' when a Jewish survivor says literally that he's just like the wolves that came to her door. That IS a definite comparison.

I did think it was interesting they specifically didn't use the word Nazi and Fisk isn't dumb so obviously he must know what she's talking about, but his complete lack of reaction to her story except to sort of muse on a general idea of 'I could take this by force or I could not' and a comparison of I suppose...who has the more worthy bond of love to it, for him she could have been talking about anything I think.

I honestly took from that was NOT that she was saying Fisk was a Nazi, but more that *like* the Nazi's he felt he was entitled to whatever he wanted because he was strong and others were not and gently caress what anyone else thought.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Proteus Jones posted:

I honestly took from that was NOT that she was saying Fisk was a Nazi, but more that *like* the Nazi's he felt he was entitled to whatever he wanted because he was strong and others were not and gently caress what anyone else thought.

You're not a Nazi, you're just like the Nazis. Huge difference there.

ulex minor posted:

I was really disappointed Fisk didn't have a mic or something on when Karen came to visit and the idea the room wasn't wired up like that is ridiculous and it was baffling to me that the FBI guys weren't coming in to arrest her for admitting to the murder. Also disappointed Foggys totally inconsequential wife wasn't murdered, I felt so sure after all their scenes were just pretty much 'oh foggy bear I wuv you' it was gonna happen

Haha, this is exactly what I thought had happened, the FBI guys all rushed in immediately after she confessed. I really thought Fisk had set up his own sting for Karen.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah, twitchy psychopath from beginning to end for sure, but that prgression from a twitchy psychopath holding it all together from his childhood doctor, to the army, to the fbi, and then his life getting rear end hosed by fisk letting him out the gate was interesting to me. Better than how most Marvel villians grow anway.

Yeah I thought they fleshed him out pretty well. Just about everyone has some mental issues they struggle with and are just trying to make it through life, I thought that made him pretty relatable.

He was manipulated just right to become a bad guy, he wasn't a crazy person shouting "I'm going to take over the world!" From a rooftop.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

The more I think about it, it was working for me right up until the last episode. They wrote themselves into a corner with the finale and they didn't do a very good job getting out of it again. Nadeem's last declaration wasn't really the silver bullet they presented it as, but this show has never really understood how courtrooms work. For a while I was hoping Nadeem at least had an audio recording of his murder, that would have been a more convincing nail in the coffin that implicates Fisk in a criminal conspiracy, at the very least for his murder.

Also I like how they had to keep reminding us what SPECIAL AGENT IN CHARGE Hattley's job was every time they said her name, because otherwise we wouldn't remember who she was.

The show's (heck, all shows, everywhere, at at everytime) understanding of law and politics is hilarious terrible. Like when Fisk makes up accusations against the law firm that brought him down in concert with a woman he tried to frame for murder and nobody bats an eyelid and does exactly what he wants.

Edit: Also Cox accent completely slips when he's yelling at the nun in ep 6/7, and it's really uncomfortable.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 25, 2018

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ulex minor posted:

Also disappointed Foggys totally inconsequential wife wasn't murdered, I felt so sure after all their scenes were just pretty much 'oh foggy bear I wuv you' it was gonna happen

What makes you think she was his wife? As far as I know they're just shacking up.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

biracial bear for uncut posted:

What makes you think she was his wife? As far as I know they're just shacking up.

She's not. He did panic-propose to her, at some point during the season, and they both agreed that was a bad time to propose. So not yet married.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I thought they made a point to show that the cameras were off when Karen mentioned Wesley but maybe not? I know she kept looking at them and the scene cut to them a lot.

And, yeah, the last episode did sort of feel like they wrote themselves into a corner because the whole season was building up to whether or not Matt will break a rule that we all know he's not going to break so when he finally gets into the penthouse...then what? It didn't bother me though since I enjoyed the ride so much but Matt simply beating the gently caress out of him was sort of meh. But I didn't think Fisk was begging Matt to kill him so much as daring him to, likely knowing that he won't.

Show did a good job showing how "it's just not the same" with Wilson and Vanessa's relationship too and the actors made really good use of body language and facial expressions to get that across. In the comics, doesn't she start out as innocent little sunflower and then eventually becomes Mrs. Kingpin and become as ruthless as he is?

Not sure what people's issues are with the costume after season 1 or Karen and Foggy either. A few times I thought Castle would have fit in well in spots but that may have made the show too crowded. Maybe season 4 if they do it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
she also whispered the Wesley thing, but I dunno how good FBI camera audio is

I'm used to security cameras having lovely (or no) audio, but I also never worked for the FBI

especially not the FBI, in a Marvel Netflix show

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Show did a good job showing how "it's just not the same" with Wilson and Vanessa's relationship too and the actors made really good use of body language and facial expressions to get that across. In the comics, doesn't she start out as innocent little sunflower and then eventually becomes Mrs. Kingpin and become as ruthless as he is?

It's comics so she's swung wildly between being a distant, unloving wife, totally into the gangster thing and barely existing multiple times throughout comics history.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
Finished Ep 6 of Daredevil, and really enjoying it so far, but really not a fan of the tendency of these shows to grind all forward motion to a halt for the sake of flashbacks.

Blueheim
Dec 2, 2006
Zelda Junkie

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The most egregious example of this is in episode 13? 12? where he gets to the grand jury while they are deliberating on Nadeem's testimony. The rest of it didn't seem too farfetched since I could believe he was slowly turning people while he was in prison.

Fisk did this all the time in season one though so it's not out of the blue though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LinYutang posted:

Finished Ep 6 of Daredevil, and really enjoying it so far, but really not a fan of the tendency of these shows to grind all forward motion to a halt for the sake of flashbacks.

You're gonna love episode 10