Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

PainterofCrap posted:

There's an old joke in the property adjusting community:

"What do you pay a slate roofer?"

"Whatever he wants"

We're house hunting and passed on a house (that had other issues to be fair) that had a slate roof for that reason.

Me: "Oooh a slate roof, how fancy"
Realtor: "There's ONE slate guy in the whole Capital District and he's a doozy"
Wife: "Pass."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

beep-beep car is go posted:

We're house hunting and passed on a house (that had other issues to be fair) that had a slate roof for that reason.

Me: "Oooh a slate roof, how fancy"
Realtor: "There's ONE slate guy in the whole Capital District and he's a doozy"
Wife: "Pass."

Went to an open house that had a slate roof. The seller's realtor said that they had spend $75,000 to replace the roof 5 years ago. I know it's fairly typical to mention big ticket repairs that were recently done so you know you're getting all that benefit without spending more money - but Jesus Christ that number is terrifying.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is it the slates themselves that make it so expensive? I mean, the actual finished product basically looks like a shingle roof made out of rock, so I can't imagine that installation is that much more difficult than for a more standard roof. You have to not shatter the slates when you secure them to the roof deck, and cutting end pieces to size is harder; what am I missing?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I understand it's a combination of both; the production of slate shingles is more expensive than asphalt, and they are also heavy so they cost more in shipping and lading. While the final look is similar, I think they're also more work to install. Asphalt shingles come in slabs of three, they are light and easy to handle, and you can simply nail through them to attach them. So a worker can move rapidly, placing each slab and using a nailgun to fix them. Slate shingles are singles, and they have preset holes. That means you have to position them individually, and then nail through those holes manually. So it's slower, and if someone doesn't have experience it's harder to pick up. Plus you have to handle them differently, my neighbors were doing their roof and guys were just zipping up ladders with a bunch of asphalt on their shoulder to lay, you couldn't do it with slate so you'd need to do many more runs or set up a hoist.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ah yeah, that makes sense. More expensive base product plus them being 2-3 times as labor-intensive to install would do it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Devor posted:

Went to an open house that had a slate roof. The seller's realtor said that they had spend $75,000 to replace the roof 5 years ago. I know it's fairly typical to mention big ticket repairs that were recently done so you know you're getting all that benefit without spending more money - but Jesus Christ that number is terrifying.

We just replaced our roof this spring with 30 year asphalt shingles for just under $5k. Looks like we'd only need to live in this house for 450 years to equal the cost of that slate roof.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been seeing a lot more metal roofs in residential construction where I live. I think it's most of a style thing than anything as it goes nice with "west coast modern" that every rich person wants to build these days. It doesn't actually seem that much more expensive and they seem way way better in the long run. A lot of people here though hate them as they associate them with "modernism" so there's a subset of the population always bitching about those drat ugly metal roofs.

Asphalt roofs are extremely susceptible to bird poo poo though. At my folks place my dad re-roofed the only 10 year old addition they built because they of course put on the cheapest shingles possible, but my mom also feeds birds, seaguls, and those guys love to take huge acidic shits on the roof. Under all the most popular seagull areas the roof was like... melted. It looks like someone got into a fight with a xenomorph and sprayed its acid blood all over the roof. So, only 5 years in, he had to replace a few big chunks of the roof again. Feeding the seagulls was banned because they were melting the roof off with their powerful trash shits.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I've gotten a couple of ads for painted metal shingles. Anyone know how those perform and if the labor cost is about different from asphalt?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
We got a new metal roof to replace the old one. I'm very happy with it, I think it looks pretty good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd be all over a standing seam metal roof, but I don't think my municipality allows it. Because they'd prefer to have deteriorated asphalt roofs than "unattractive" long-lived metal.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i like the noise metal makes when it rains :3: i love mine, and just checking that the gaskets on the screws are still good is about as much maintenance to it as i want to do

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My roof is coming due and I'm strongly considering a metal tile solution.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What about composite/synthetic tiles?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I’m leaning towards metal roof.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You should probably check your foundations.

I'll see myself out.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Dave posted:

It was a pretty run of the mill builder bathroom, a remodel wasn’t crazy if you had the funds, his design sense was just loving atrocious and rooted in hilarious sexism.

Yeah dude, but :females:

Also, aren't slate rooves actually heavy as gently caress? Like would you have to upgrade roof trusses and such?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese roofing videos for all you spergs.

Replacing 50 year old roof tiles with new clay tiles. (4:06)
(Comments are complaining about helmets and mortar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTvpfd7Mrh0

Single clay tile replacement. (2:24)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmFpPe4_NM

Replacing old cement tiles with metal. (2:16)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn0GPP9T_0k

Hand processed copper tiles for a shrine. (8:50) :peanut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WiVoHZ7wow

Ancient shrine woodwork details, now you're addicted :peanut: :peanut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjE0qPv6qiA

"Most Amazing Instruction Equipment and Equipment!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WemNlo8XIRU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

Also, aren't slate rooves actually heavy as gently caress? Like would you have to upgrade roof trusses and such?

Not if your house is an over-engineered Victorian like mine :v:

Still though, our house is not the type of house that needs a slate roof. And the type of dainty Victorian-style slate roofing that would be appropriate on this house is a dead art. Even though I'm usually the one to be all gung ho about choosing the more expensive but longer lasting option, this is one case where I think regular asphalt would be fine.

Now if we'd bought a 20's Tudor revival, it'd be criminal for us to do anything other than slate for the roof - the roofs on these houses are generally much more prominent and visible and the slate is inexorably part of the style. (The vast majority of Tudor revivals around here have slate roofs (a few stone ones have clay tile), and there are a ton of Tudor revivals in the vicinity, so there are definitely slate roofers around in case we did actually want slate.)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

This looks amazing and also like a stupefyingly colossal amount of work. I'm amazed at the amount of time and attention to detail Japan is willing to throw at the crafts.

It looks like you can buy mass-manufactured copper roofing shingles. I'm sure they're horribly expensive compared to other metal shingles, but man if I ever have so much money I'm making hats out of it, I'd be willing to forego some headwear in exchange for a roof that looks that good.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
I managed to squirrel away a pile of slate that was destined for the landfill a few months back. Why yes, the garden shed I’m planning will have a Hundred Year Roof :cool:.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Almost anywhere in the US that much copper would get thieved away inside a year.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You would never see a copper roof in the states it be gone in 24 hours, coppers like a dollar a pound scrap.

edit 2 dollars a pound for fresh copper

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Almost anywhere in the US that much copper would get thieved away inside a year.

If not, you know where the witch who eats meth heads has set up shop.

Speaking of repurposed building materials, though. Is there any good use for old granite slabs? Not the pretty stuff they put on counters; just a bunch of big, relatively flat, rocks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

do they weigh at least 400 lbs? this is important

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fender Anarchist posted:

Only if you own a motorcycle.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

peanut posted:

Japanese roofing videos for all you spergs.

Replacing 50 year old roof tiles with new clay tiles. (4:06)
(

This is the most Japanese video I have ever seen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfAkwLZ2hg

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
No shots of helmeted (or ancient, no-helmet) workers calmly doing something that could be a master tradecraft in a room with others without saying a word or wearing any other PPE, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

Ninjaribanban.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMdjJ3w9iM

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Uhhhhh... sawmills? Maybe? Why the hell do this?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Craftsmanship.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rich people are willing to fork out for hand made.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My dad got a metal roof after Katrina

He lives in Missouri but the adjuster said they use metal roofs down there in the gulf

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fender Anarchist posted:

Maybe if I pile them up together on top of the motorcycle...

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Here at the building I run, a pipefitter skipped a dielectric fitting on a 1.5 inch hot water heating line run off a wet tap on the main riser. This would have been back during construction in 2001 and it’s been hidden behind drywall since then. This morning at 4:13 am I got a call about our security service losing communication with the building. The fitting decided to fail and dump thousands of gallons of water into all kinds of expensive gear and my office in particular.

Not pictured is the server room which is down about $500k in gear. It’s gonna be a really long day for a few of us here.

Today is my 40th birthday!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Does the company who built your building still exist, and will they still exist once your insurance is finished with them?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

glynnenstein posted:

Here at the building I run, a pipefitter skipped a dielectric fitting on a 1.5 inch hot water heating line run off a wet tap on the main riser. This would have been back during construction in 2001 and it’s been hidden behind drywall since then. This morning at 4:13 am I got a call about our security service losing communication with the building. The fitting decided to fail and dump thousands of gallons of water into all kinds of expensive gear and my office in particular.

Not pictured is the server room which is down about $500k in gear. It’s gonna be a really long day for a few of us here.

Happy birthday! Have a Birthday Goat Eating Wiring to remind you this could happen to anyone, at any time.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

glynnenstein posted:

Here at the building I run, a pipefitter skipped a dielectric fitting on a 1.5 inch hot water heating line run off a wet tap on the main riser.

Extremely similar to an old story of mine. University I worked for had an incorrectly installed valve fail in the water-cooling system for the campus. Said fitting was in the ceiling of the 3rd floor battery backup room for a building with 4 datacenters in it, including the primary for the entire institution. Killed the building power, killed the battery backups, went through the floor to drown the tape library and a handful of extremely important live backup servers, then went through the floor once more to drown the only Operations office for the whole campus, effectively neutering the ongoing response. The only non-infrastructure room it hit was a single office for an unrelated college.

Total cost was over $2 million. Best part, the cooling pipe was never supposed to penetrate the battery backup room wall and nobody knew how nobody noticed it was built in the entirely wrong place.

schmug
May 20, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

I see the problem. someone forgot to LOTO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

schmug posted:

I see the problem. someone forgot to LOTO

Leave Ocean Totally Outside