Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

phasmid posted:

Because of the sheer volume of stuff he wrote, he accidentally crapped out some good prose/ideas now and then. If you haven't already, listen to the conversation between Robin Williams and Harlan Ellison about his early career and how he came up with Scientology at a writer's social club.

I had heard it was literally a bong circle boast/tax dodge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Schadenboner posted:

I had heard it was literally a bong circle boast/tax dodge?

I've only heard the one story and I'm not sure how into drugs those guys were. A lot of them claimed to be straight edge. Herbert himself only ever publicly acknowledged doing mescaline once but y'know...

However you slice it, it was definitely designed as a scam from the outset.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i read 8/10 of this garbage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Earth_(novel_series)

ask me how broke brained i am now

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Because of the sheer volume of stuff he wrote, he accidentally crapped out some good prose/ideas now and then. If you haven't already, listen to the conversation between Robin Williams and Harlan Ellison about his early career and how he came up with Scientology at a writer's social club.

e. I'll just post it in case no one's seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9AGVARpqdk

I hadn't seen this, where's the rest of it. While looking watching this I searched on (what I thought) was a rock solid memory of a quote by Heinlein which apparently was some weird usenet rumor. http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/scientology/start.a.religion.html

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Pimblor posted:

I hadn't seen this, where's the rest of it.

I do not know :(

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

I do not know :(

That's a drat shame. Harlan Ellison was a great speaker. Also, holy crap youtube is amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-mLVVJkH7I

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

BONGHITZ posted:

i read 8/10 of this garbage: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Earth_(novel_series)

ask me how broke brained i am now

I read 10/10 when I was an impressionable teen and had no idea about its relationship to Hubbard and Scientology

Once I figured it out I laughed and laughed and laughed

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

put the bi in bicycle posted:

I watched the movie on Netflix this week (twice actually, once sober & once drunk with friends) & currently my biggest hope is that the new movie also has dogs

what if the dogs in the remake are descendants of the dogs in the original movie :3:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cheap Trick posted:

what if the dogs in the remake are descendants of the dogs in the original movie :3:

What if some of them are gholas? Or worse, what if some of them are chairdogs? :gonk:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Kevin J. Anderson says "Battlefield Earth is like a 12-hour Indiana Jonesmarathon. Non-stop and fast-paced. Every chapter has a big bang-up adventure."

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Kevin J. Anderson says "Battlefield Earth is like a 12-hour Indiana Jonesmarathon. Non-stop and fast-paced. Every chapter has a big bang-up adventure."

He can't be a real person. This is some kind of long-game troll persona that's been running for decades. No-one can be that objectively wrong while trashing Banks and Le Guin without it being deliberate.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Wolfechu posted:

He can't be a real person. This is some kind of long-game troll persona that's been running for decades. No-one can be that objectively wrong while trashing Banks and Le Guin without it being deliberate.

Ye of little faith.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
He could be some sort of exquisite corpse group performance art piece?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Schadenboner posted:

He could be some sort of exquisite corpse group performance art piece?

I wish he was an exquisite corpse

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Murray Mantoinette posted:

I wish he was an exquisite corpse

His water belongs to his sietch.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

His water belongs to his sietch.

You want to taint the sietch??

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

THE BAR posted:

You want to taint the sietch??

I want to taint all kinds of things. According to Frankie H., wild mixing of genes was one of humanity's major drives.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the Fremen have homeopathy

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Bloop posted:

Just eat more spice and walk it off.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Bloop posted:

You see, sand remembers what has been in it before, furthermore

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I want to taint all kinds of things. According to Frankie H., wild mixing of genes was one of humanity's major drives.

Kull Wahad!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fremen medicine is actually, as suggested "take more spice, have spice infused food, because if you get sick enough that you need actual medicine you've probably reached a point where you're more useful in the death still"

well i'm sure there's minor medicine but i doubt the culture of Dune/Dune Messiah fremen would be at all permissive about wasting money sustaining the severely wounded or dying.

I feel like, if i'm wrong there will be book text making that explicit, and i welcome anyone who can recall the relevant details.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

basic hitler posted:

I feel like, if i'm wrong there will be book text making that explicit, and i welcome anyone who can recall the relevant details.

Dune Messiah posted:

“The tribe will collect his water soon,” Dhuri said. She crossed to Otheym, propped pillows behind him, held his shoulder to steady him until the coughing passed. She wasn’t really very old, Paul saw, but a look of lost hopes ringed her mouth, bitterness lay in her eyes.

“I’ll summon doctors,” Paul said.

Dhuri turned, hand on hip. “We’ve had medical men, as good as any you could summon.” She sent an involuntary glance to the barren wall on her left.

And the medical men were costly, Paul thought.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

@duneauthor posted:

“The tribe will collect his water soon,” Dhuri said. She crossed to Otheym, propped pillows behind him, held his shoulder to steady him until the coughing passed. She wasn’t really very old, Paul saw, but a look of lost hopes ringed her mouth, bitterness lay in her eyes.

“I’ll summon doctors,” Paul said.

Dhuri turned, hand on hip. “We’ve had medical men, as good as any you could summon.” She sent an involuntary glance to the barren wall on her left.

And the medical men were costly, Paul thought.

*Doctor Heuy enters from stage left, applause track*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor Yueh Doctor Yueh
Doctor Yueh Doctor Yueh
Doctor Yueh Doctor Yueh
Doctor Yueh
(Doctor Yueh Doctor Yueh)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hamster Yueh and the Great Gooeh Kablooeh

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
I'm taking the opportunity by being assigned an outbuilding at work to listen to audio performances of the first four Dune books. One thing that I remembered I also didn't understand when I read the books the first time is what exactly is going on with the Dune tarot in Dune Messiah? Is it ever really explained how it's blocking prescient or who's bringing it onto arrakis?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dreadmojo posted:

Hamster Yueh and the Great Gooeh Kablooeh

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'm so thankful that this thread is in GBS, not CD or the book barn. Any remotely interesting thread in those forums gets filled up with super-geeks talking about their collectible figurines, minute details in worthless prequel bullshit , and shouting down anyone who has an even slightly different opinion.

This thread just rolls on like a nice conversation about Dune.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Yadoppsi posted:

I'm taking the opportunity by being assigned an outbuilding at work to listen to audio performances of the first four Dune books. One thing that I remembered I also didn't understand when I read the books the first time is what exactly is going on with the Dune tarot in Dune Messiah? Is it ever really explained how it's blocking prescient or who's bringing it onto arrakis?

All Fremen are low-level prescient but their conscious selves deny it except for during the spice orgy.
The Dune tarot means they actually use it, and prescience can block other prescience.
I think the conspirators were bringing it to Arrakis, probably the Bene Gesserit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Edison was a dick posted:

All Fremen are low-level prescient but their conscious selves deny it except for during the spice orgy.
The Dune tarot means they actually use it, and prescience can block other prescience.
I think the conspirators were bringing it to Arrakis, probably the Bene Gesserit.

It's actually just the latest collectible card game.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's actually just the latest collectible card game.

Magic: the Scattering

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doesn't Leto II actually have an ancient Egyptian pharaoh sharing his body

If only he could fit a duel disk on the worm body

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Doesn't Leto II actually have an ancient Egyptian pharaoh sharing his body

If only he could fit a duel disk on the worm body

Be careful not to encroach on my 32part Dune/Beyblade crossover fanfic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bloop posted:

Be careful not to encroach on my 32part Dune/Beyblade crossover fanfic

I wouldn't dare impugn the ancient sacred art of battling tops

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

basic hitler posted:

Fremen medicine is actually, as suggested "take more spice, have spice infused food, because if you get sick enough that you need actual medicine you've probably reached a point where you're more useful in the death still"

well i'm sure there's minor medicine but i doubt the culture of Dune/Dune Messiah fremen would be at all permissive about wasting money sustaining the severely wounded or dying.

If Dune Encyclopedia counts then there's almost certainly stuff in there about it. I can check.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

If Dune Encyclopedia counts then there's almost certainly stuff in there about it. I can check.

The Dune Encyclopedia is more canon than @DumeAuthor work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The extended body of material speaks out against @Duneauthor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe1-bx8oFN4