Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

That Family Guy / Simpsons crossover is hilarious because it features all the guest characters who have done both shows sitting together to show what they have in common, but all it really highlights is Family Guy stealing funny one off characters and running the joke into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s a pretty good podcast called that hosted by one of the front page writers here, Bob Mackey.

Yea but is it like poo poo posting?

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

That Family Guy / Simpsons crossover is hilarious because it features all the guest characters who have done both shows sitting together to show what they have in common, but all it really highlights is Family Guy stealing funny one off characters and running the joke into the ground.

Kind of like how Simpsons ran Crazy Cat Lady to the ground?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Houle posted:

Kind of like how Simpsons ran Crazy Cat Lady to the ground?

Kind of like how Simpsons ran Gil into the ground?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The cross over was pretty decent and funnier than anything The Simpsons has done in... Maybe decades at this point?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Watching the Simpsons now is like trying to have a conversation with an ex you used to be really into.

You aren’t the TV show I used to love, you just look kinda the same

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

The cross over was pretty decent and funnier than anything The Simpsons has done in... Maybe decades at this point?

It wasn't funny at all. It was an atrocity really.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Bust Rodd posted:

Watching the Simpsons now is like trying to have a conversation with an ex you used to be really into.

You aren’t the TV show I used to love, you just look kinda the same

P good analogy here

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
I should have guessed 140 new posts in this thread would have been garbled bullshit about how much more woke people are over others.

Simpsons should have been cancelled 20 years ago and Apu a quaint character from a different time.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Specifically a time when a bunch of white guys could make a super racist character and nobody gave a poo poo

(I blame not Hank Azaria for coming up with the voice, but the producers who OK’d the voice)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Specifically a time when a bunch of white guys could make a super racist character and nobody gave a poo poo

(I blame not Hank Azaria for coming up with the voice, but the producers who OK’d the voice)

The impression I got from "The Problem with Apu" was that Hank Azaria hadn't even considered it might have hurt people until very recently and that Azaria is likely the reason the character hasn't shown up in a couple of years.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
the crossover was actually a Family Guy episode not a Simpsons episode

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Yeah fwiw azaria has been mostly sympathetic and understanding about it in recent months and pretty much called the simpsons' response (the head nod thing) tone deaf

i posted a video forever ago but eh who knows when

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Every once in a while I get bored enough to stream a new Simpsons and Family Guy. I chose the latest Family Guy episode which was another Brian and Stewie adventure, and almost every one of those is awesome. It didn't disappoint. Then I picked a Simpsons episode from two weeks ago which had been hyped up by The Simpsons team as one to look forward to, about Marge and Homer competing on an Amazing Race type show (called The Amazing Place ugh) and I couldn't watch past the first act. As usual it was just SO soulless that it literally feels like a computer algorithm wrote the entire thing.

Say what you want about Family Guy, they still manage to be funny at least a few times per episode and can still occasionally do a really fun episode.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Every once in a while I get bored enough to stream a new Simpsons and Family Guy. I chose the latest Family Guy episode which was another Brian and Stewie adventure, and almost every one of those is awesome. It didn't disappoint. Then I picked a Simpsons episode from two weeks ago which had been hyped up by The Simpsons team as one to look forward to, about Marge and Homer competing on an Amazing Race type show (called The Amazing Place ugh) and I couldn't watch past the first act. As usual it was just SO soulless that it literally feels like a computer algorithm wrote the entire thing.

Say what you want about Family Guy, they still manage to be funny at least a few times per episode and can still occasionally do a really fun episode.

family guy and south park will atleast try to do something new and different. the simpsons would never even bother, and was never on their level of crassness/adult humor to start now.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Marge and Homer competing on an Amazing Race type show (called The Amazing Place ugh)
what the gently caress

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

PostNouveau posted:

Kumail is Pakistani

Yeah, no one mistakes Pakistani people for Indian people, especially not americans

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Simpsons season 2-10 actually had the exact same goal in the writers room that Family Guy has plaquered on the wall: “As many jokes on every page as possible”

That poo poo was so zippy. Modern simpsons greatest sin is how frequently it drags, like MINUTES AT A TIME without a punchline.

Someone did a side-by-side comparison video of S2 Arrested Development vs S5 AD and showed the volume of jokes and gags had completely eroded in the later seasons, I imagine the same must be true for The Simpsons.

In general I watch all the Brian episodes of Family Guy but the mushrooms one was the first time I was like “you actively hate the people watching this show”

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Our comedy cartoons have gotten less funny, our $100M+ huge effects action sci-fi movie have gotten more funny.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Joss Whedon has done a lot of terrible things to people, but the pervasive idea that every action-sci-fi movie must also be a quippy zinger filled buddy cop movie is probably the second worst.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's not like the erosion of joke frequency has declined across the board. Like you watch Archer and literally every single line is a quip or a gag of some kind, it's so dense I have to watch it with my thumb resting on the 15s rollback button.

"Corpse Reviver #2, but only if you have real absinthe; if not, I'll have a double sidecar, French." I felt like I deserved a trophy when I caught that all on the first go

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 25, 2018

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's not like the erosion of joke frequency has declined across the board. Like you watch Archer and literally every single line is a quip or a gag of some kind, it's so dense I have to watch it with my thumb resting on the 15s rollback button.
Are they still mostly the same joke, endlessly repeated, though?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Archer somehow makes that non-stop thing work, and so does R&M to an extent. Maybe because they're all petty, one-upping a-holes.

Then other things try to emulate that and it comes off as more obnoxious and forced.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
BoJack Horseman is really heavy on the gags per minute too. You have to stay intently focused or you will miss a lot, and you'll catch additional things on repeat watches. While it should be a given that people pay attention to what they're watching, Family Guy, Modern Simpsons, etc have kind of gotten people into the habit that animated adult comedies can be passively watched. Also, the first handful of episodes are very much like a generic adult animated comedy.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Our comedy cartoons have gotten less funny, our $100M+ huge effects action sci-fi movie have gotten more funny.

So what you're saying is make Taika Waititi the showrunner for The Simpsons? Hell, I'd watch it again.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

The Simpsons season 2-10 actually had the exact same goal in the writers room that Family Guy has plaquered on the wall: “As many jokes on every page as possible”

That poo poo was so zippy. Modern simpsons greatest sin is how frequently it drags, like MINUTES AT A TIME without a punchline.

Someone did a side-by-side comparison video of S2 Arrested Development vs S5 AD and showed the volume of jokes and gags had completely eroded in the later seasons, I imagine the same must be true for The Simpsons.

In general I watch all the Brian episodes of Family Guy but the mushrooms one was the first time I was like “you actively hate the people watching this show”

I mean it also wasn't volume, but also just good jokes. Post-S10 Simpsons and some of Futurama's run have some of the most cringingly-obvious punch-up I've ever seen. For those who don't know what that is (I'm assuming most people here do), it's essentially touching up writing after the fact to make improvements (it's most used in the context of comedy). It could be something as simple as throwing in a different word for a better rhythm or delivery, to just writing in jokes that weren't normally in a scene. It's not an entirely negative thing. Scripts have been saved by good punch-up, but scripts have also been destroyed by it. It's most obvious in shows and especially new Simpsons when someone's just been talking for a long time, then the writer realizes nobody's made a joke yet, and a character will just say or do a whacky-doodle random thing or just make a reference or cheap joke out of nowhere.

My favorite old Simpsons bit is probably the "Is it about my cube?" exchange with Homer and Burns. It's super quick with some "smile" or "heh" laughs as Homer reads through the note cards. Then, when you think Burns is about to yell at Homer to end the gag, he asks the "Is it about my cube?" line, which is a mixture of character humor (Burns is straight to business and is rich enough that he doesn't really care about the car) and subverting expectation (you're expecting Burns to get mad like most shows would have him). Nowadays, Burns is pretty much there to do some "I hate the poor" speech, then be the subject of a punch-up political joke about the rich, a joke about him being oblivious to how rich he is, or a physical gag about him being weak.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Plan Z posted:

a mixture of character humor (Burns is straight to business and is rich enough that he doesn't really care about the car) and subverting expectation (you're expecting Burns to get mad like most shows would have him).

Now how am I supposed to do the Junior Jumble?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Classic Simpsons also knew not to undermine serious moments with jokes. That isn't to say that they didn't include jokes during them, but they were done in a way that conveyed to the audience that they should be taking it seriously. Example: in Marge Be Not Proud, Marge is discussing her disappointment of Bart and how she feels she failed as a parent with Homer, meanwhile Homer is replying with nonsense and drawing a picture of a robot. You laugh at Homer's nonsense but still feel the emotional weight of the scene.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Some early Simpsons episodes were a joke every line. Last Exit is nonstop jokes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

There's a podcast called Talking Simpsons and these days every episode is 3 hours long

Yeah, they’ve forgotten about editing. These episodes are getting near Return of the King length every week. If I listen I end up mashing fast forward until the next clip plays.

It was too bad Chris Antista left, he wasn’t perfect but helped call out Bob and Henry for being too woke for a cartoon podcast. It’s bizarre to hear them declare multiple times without irony that their show is pro-sex worker. We Hate Movies is adamantly pro-mafia but as a joke.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s wrong with being pro sex worker? It’s not the same as being a violent gang member.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SeANMcBAY posted:

What’s wrong with being pro sex worker? It’s not the same as being a violent gang member.

I agree it’s a good thing, but off mission for a cartoon retrospective show. When We Hate Movies says they are pro mafia it’s meant as a joke, as it would be strange for a comedy show to adamantly support organized crime.

Post 2016 election Talking Simpsons has gone into so many political rants it can feel like Chapo lite. I want to listen to a Simpsons show to hear about Simpsons, not get a reminder of what horrible thing happened last week.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I used to skip about 5 minutes in to get past the opening ad and intros, but now it's gotten to the point of being almost 15 minutes because they feel like they have to spend such a long time proving they have the correct opinions on the latest hot button topic. I already had to just say screw it to a couple other entertainment podcasts when they wouldn't shut up about politics, I don't want to lose another :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So it turns out that guy who made the "Apu is totally not racist" video also made a video about how he hates Moana. Very surprising!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

He also has strong opinions on the powerpuff girls reboot

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is Moana racist?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

muscles like this! posted:

So it turns out that guy who made the "Apu is totally not racist" video also made a video about how he hates Moana. Very surprising!

Wait it's possible to hate Moana? What reasons does he give?

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

emgeejay posted:

what the gently caress

The obvious go to for that would be Ned getting Homer to go on a Christian TV reality show called Amazing Grace.

But it's not 1995 anymore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Wait it's possible to hate Moana? What reasons does he give?

I ain't watching his video but I'm just going to guess that it is because of no white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I agree it’s a good thing, but off mission for a cartoon retrospective show. When We Hate Movies says they are pro mafia it’s meant as a joke, as it would be strange for a comedy show to adamantly support organized crime.

Post 2016 election Talking Simpsons has gone into so many political rants it can feel like Chapo lite. I want to listen to a Simpsons show to hear about Simpsons, not get a reminder of what horrible thing happened last week.

You mean the show that had the Chapo guys on it gets political? Whaaaat