Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

ive seen some leavers saying all the brexit delays are so the supporters die off and im wondering why people who are so close to checking out are deciding the future for everybody else

They're boomer cunts who want to salt the earth behind them out of spite, cos it's not like wot they remember and they're all getting alzheimers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

ive seen some leavers saying all the brexit delays are so the supporters die off and im wondering why people who are so close to checking out are deciding the future for everybody else

my parents neighbour had terminal cancer and voted for brexit. he died 2 months after the vote. he didn't think it was inappropriate to vote for something so massive on the future that he wouldn't see

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

tarbrush posted:

I am pretty sure the Lib Dems are once incinerated twice shy about propping up the conservatives.

No, on the contrary. The Lib Dems have lost the support of the young and the people who considered them a sort-of-lefty anti-authoritarian party. The only people left supporting the Lib Dems are the ones who were absolutely fine with the coalition shenanigans, the party has nothing to lose by doing more dirty deals with the tories in future.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1055363460291272704

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

Fucks sake. Between him and Farron and Cleggles you can see how the party shat itself out of existence.

I need to find a new party

why would you ever admit to supporting the lib dems post coalition?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

But...easiest deal in history??

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Bloody EUSSR

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol not joining the WTO is really bad unless your economy is based on subsistence farming

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jel Shaker posted:

lol not joining the WTO is really bad unless your economy is based on subsistence farming

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1055393116667199488

(I only hazily understand the rest of the thread, but apparently it's not a question of membership. :shrug:)

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Cerebral Bore posted:

why would you ever admit to supporting the lib dems post coalition?

I'd hoped they had learned their lesson.

Evidently not

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

prefect posted:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1055393116667199488

(I only hazily understand the rest of the thread, but apparently it's not a question of membership. :shrug:)

ah, so it’ll be membership but without the benefits of membership?

(I’m also not sure, and it’s almost like all these neoliberal superstate institutions were designed to be confusing to the average pleb)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

I'd hoped they had learned their lesson.

Evidently not

Hell, if nothing else I can respect your evidently boundless capacity for optimism.

Jel Shaker posted:

ah, so it’ll be membership but without the benefits of membership?

(I’m also not sure, and it’s almost like all these neoliberal superstate institutions were designed to be confusing to the average pleb)

Well, it's not that the UK won't be a member, it's that only being a member and nothing else is really loving bad and basically removes any real ability for protectionism of any kind. So guess whose markets will be flooded and whose industries will be outcompeted in short order after a hard Brexit?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Voting to leave the EU because they're unelected bureaucrats with too much power only to fall back on the WTO where any one of 100+ nations has a veto, to own my own country

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Nothing the WTO does is binding, because it's legislation, not laws - Pub Brexit Man

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hell, if nothing else I can respect your evidently boundless capacity for optimism.

It's the Lib dem way, close your eyes and hope for the best.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

tarbrush posted:

It's the Lib dem way, close your eyes and hope for the best.

Thankfully, we now have an actual leftist labour party!

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Samovar posted:

Thankfully, we now have an actual leftist labour party!

If I was a leftist, I'd vote Labour. Actually, I still might, I haven't looked up my new mp yet.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

If I was a leftist, I'd vote Labour. Actually, I still might, I haven't looked up my new mp yet.

Have you considered getting better opinions?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Cerebral Bore posted:

Have you considered getting better opinions?

Not really my style

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tarbrush posted:

Not really my style

Have you considered a style that doesn't involve being constantly dunked on all the time by your foes and exploited mercilessly by your laughing masters

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Have you considered a style that doesn't involve being constantly dunked on all the time by your foes and exploited mercilessly by your laughing masters

Forget it, hes a liberal. He deserves the treatment

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/25/no-deal-brexit-could-raise-price-of-mince-by-50-meat-industry-says

quote:

The price of mince would go up 50% in the event of no Brexit deal, the meat industry has warned.

quote:

Politicians who see Brexit as an opportunity for British farming have argued that farmers simply need to “grow more”.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

You're gonna be fighting over rinds our garbage surplus cheese by this time next year.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if I can get back in touch with my ex internet gf if she's a brexit refugee

Or some other brexit refugee gal, anyway.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

You're gonna be fighting over rinds our garbage surplus cheese by this time next year.

Nah it's cool we'll just grow more cheese

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Obliterati posted:

To be fair this is only because your average gammon couldn't find India on a map

I must admit I was probably guilty of this so I looked at Google Maps.

Wow, Russia is HUGE

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dead Goon posted:

I must admit I was probably guilty of this so I looked at Google Maps.

Wow, Russia is HUGE

don’t maps use a weird projection? ie Greenland is the size of Europe but is actually a tiny island

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jel Shaker posted:

don’t maps use a weird projection? ie Greenland is the size of Europe but is actually a tiny island

Russia's actually the largest country in the world, by area. (Canada is #2.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jel Shaker posted:

It's smaller than it looks on your standard Mercator map, but Russia's still huge.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Must be cool to have such expansive borders with basically nothing going for it on much of the inside.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

tarbrush posted:

Not really my style

Just curious, you vote lib dem and dont like Tory triangulation but don't like leftism are you:
A) worried about a return to the shoddy 70s where the bins didn't get taken out
B) worried about what happened to Maoist China and the USSR
C) 60 years old
?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Avirosb posted:

Must be cool to have such expansive borders with basically nothing going for it on much of the inside.

they killed Napoléon with boredom though

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Avirosb posted:

But enough about America.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Russia today is the glorious future our brexit leaders hope for

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Just curious, you vote lib dem and dont like Tory triangulation but don't like leftism are you:
A) worried about a return to the shoddy 70s where the bins didn't get taken out
B) worried about what happened to Maoist China and the USSR
C) 60 years old
?

Partly shoddy 70s, partly liking some lib dem policies rather than dislike of Labour's

Also Brexit. If Corbyn turns round and pulls Norway out of the hat, then file me under 'I've made a huge mistake', but I don't think that leaving Europe in order to bring back state aid is a good idea on any count.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

*looks at country that hasn't been a serious agricultural producer in over a century*
Hmm yes, we should be able to turn this around in a month or two.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Elman posted:

But enough about America.

The US only shares land borders with two other countries so they don't have the same excuse for their extreme paranoia :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Avirosb posted:

The US only shares land borders with two other countries so they don't have the same excuse for their extreme paranoia :colbert:
some cool Panama erasure there.