Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
In Pacific Rim, a kaiju actually attacks Sydney Harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Striker Eureka is a great Australian giant robot name, but its crew are the most British Australians I've ever seen.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Australian Super Significant Event Notice posted:

At AustralianSuper, our priority is helping members grow their super for a comfortable retirement – one of the ways we do this is by managing risk.

To better manage liquidity risk, we're introducing a cap of 70% on the amount you can invest in the Property option and the ability for AustralianSuper to freeze switches, contributions and withdrawals into and out of the Property option for a maximum period of up to two years, in exceptional circumstances in response to a market stress event. The changes will take effect from Monday 19 November 2018.

Property instability ahead. Market reorienting downwards. itshappening.gif

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
AustralianSuper are very good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
if anyone with a sub to Crikey is will to post the text from this article, I will be grateful. tia.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Striker Eureka is a great Australian giant robot name, but its crew are the most British Australians I've ever seen.

and it works perfectly for the type of ham the movie is.

Shatterdome Marshal Hercules Hanson is the most amazing movie name. Ever.

Also always an excuse to repost this screenshot of when I was playing MechWarrior and killed John Howard as Striker Eureka:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
From the Australian front page:

quote:

EXCLUSIVE
Morrison opposed Age Pension relief

Pm
9:47PMRICK MORTON
Scott Morrison as treasurer was against ­dropping a Tony Abbott-era policy to raise the pension age to 70, sources said.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GoldStandardConure posted:

Also always an excuse to repost this screenshot of when I was playing MechWarrior and killed John Howard as Striker Eureka:

That's a really good screenshot.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
The director of that movie has won multiple Oscars. He made it several years after Pan’s Labyrinth. It’s amazing.

On a less fun note:
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/urgent-hearings-over-sick-refugee-children-thrown-into-doubt-20181023-p50bh4.html

Urgent court hearings that decide if dangerously ill refugee children should be flown to Australia have been thrown into doubt after the government challenged the Federal Court's ability to order humanitarian evacuations.

In an unprecedented move, the Morrison government has questioned the Federal Court's authority to commence cases that allow sick children to be brought to Australia for emergency medical care.

These people are MONSTERS. They should be tried by the International Criminal Court. There should be a national outcry about it!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

From the Australian front page:

I've been thinking about the leaks Morrison has been getting published for awhile now and being a fellow who frequently talks to people with skin in the journalism game I predict the following:

Leaks continue, Media allow a Shorten Government to get in as resistence at this point is basically futile.
Bill Shorten becomes Prime Minister
He cracks down on negative gearing and all this property speculator bullshit
Wages remain stagnant
People blame the rising cost of living on the eletricity companies or their real estate agents they rent from but are too loving scared to blame it on stagnant wages.
Media clamps on Bill Shorten's leg and never lets go, blaming his anti boomer policies for causing rents to go up on working class brick brains.
Bill Shorten loses the election to a Liberal who gets a free pass by saying the housing market was fine under the Liberals due to ECONOMIC MANAGEMENT
Wages remain stagnant

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/RevMattK/status/1055432310244474881?s=20

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

The director of that movie has won multiple Oscars.

this sounds unlikely, i'm going to need a source on this

say hello.jpg
Feb 16, 2012

Zenithe posted:

That dude was seriously mentally ill. IIRC he was dabbling in a lot of bad stuff like white supremacy in addition to the (mostly) harmless nonsense of time cube. He ended up jumping in front of a train.

I went to uni with the guy I was actually in a group assignment with him in database 1. He would spend the classes reading time cube with his nose pressed up against the monitor was pretty surreal. Apparently he interrupted/hijacked a lecture to try to tell people about time cube. I ended up deferring and after I got back I found out what happened. I only found out about how far his obsession went here on SA quite a few years later.

Onto conspiracy things. I've been told that we have nukes however they are disassembled into components. Now normally if these components are within a certain distance of one another they are still classed a nuclear device. The theory is that because of the size of Aus we can store the components with out them being close enough to be classed as nukes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
We do apparently have so much uranium that the Aborigines have a word for land that's too radioactive to survive in.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

say hello.jpg posted:

I went to uni with the guy I was actually in a group assignment with him in database 1. He would spend the classes reading time cube with his nose pressed up against the monitor was pretty surreal. Apparently he interrupted/hijacked a lecture to try to tell people about time cube. I ended up deferring and after I got back I found out what happened. I only found out about how far his obsession went here on SA quite a few years later.

Onto conspiracy things. I've been told that we have nukes however they are disassembled into components. Now normally if these components are within a certain distance of one another they are still classed a nuclear device. The theory is that because of the size of Aus we can store the components with out them being close enough to be classed as nukes.

this or variations on this is something that some states absolutely do

but I have serious doubts that Australians are competent enough to keep something like that a secret

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ghost Leviathan posted:

We do apparently have so much uranium that the Aborigines have a word for land that's too radioactive to survive in.

Isn't yellowcake mostly inert? Or I guess over a long enough timescale it wouldn't matter, 'mostly' would still kill you.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Turns out that old mate who kept telling you about a "hot tip" was actually referring to a radioactive waste dump

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

this sounds unlikely, i'm going to need a source on this

Sorry, only 1 Oscar, for the fish loving movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Guillermo_del_Toro

The following is a list of awards and nominations received by Mexican director, producer, and writer Guillermo del Toro. He has received nominations for five Academy Awards and three Golden Globe Awards, with one win for Best Director from both. He has also won two BAFTA Awards, a Producers Guild of America Award, a Directors Guild of America Award, six Ariel Awards, and the Golden Lion

And he made a movie about giant robots fighting monsters. And Blade 2. God bless him.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Queensland

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

Sorry, only 1 Oscar, for the fish loving movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Guillermo_del_Toro

The following is a list of awards and nominations received by Mexican director, producer, and writer Guillermo del Toro. He has received nominations for five Academy Awards and three Golden Globe Awards, with one win for Best Director from both. He has also won two BAFTA Awards, a Producers Guild of America Award, a Directors Guild of America Award, six Ariel Awards, and the Golden Lion

And he made a movie about giant robots fighting monsters. And Blade 2. God bless him.

i know who del toro is, goomba

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Would the traditional aborigines have understood the idea of radioactive material? I'm pretty sure europeans wouldn't have known what that was until like the 1800s or something.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

ROFL. Buddy, the only person I've ever met that can rival our own GSC on the movie sperg front is a literal, paid, movie critic.

That said if he ever recommends you a movie, run

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

That said if he ever recommends you a movie, run

The Neon Demon is currently on Netflix.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I love drivecore

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I love drivecore

No don't encourage him!

Or Nicholas Winding Refn for that matter.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

My entire aesthetic philosophy is that ‘sense’, ‘narrative’ and ‘plot’ are bullshit and what matters in movies are beautiful images, so i’m looking forward to seeing this. Thanks!

Watch Beyond the Black Rainbow

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Organza Quiz posted:

Re: metalhead chat, if you want a band with a pedigree of being personally hated by Peter Dutton, the lawyer behind the Ashmore Reef case is also the frontman of a melodic metal band.

Oh man I am not a metal person but I love Voyager. Despite them being a Perth band I've never seen them live, though.

Also I told my coworker the lead was an immigration lawyer and he didn't believe me. Dude would fact check every one of my fun facts and get angry I was pretty accurate.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

I have. If you like Beyond the Black Rainbow go and see Mandy, which is currently playing if you can find a session. Traveling Monster Fest will probably still have screenings before the end of October.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Maralinga?

Lid posted:

Gojira is too popular/mainstream for a tech death band (who have an album that is an anthem for enviornmentalism and against global warming, its called From Mars to Sirius check it out) and have branched out to include elements of sludge as well as even numetal, Deafheaven are too hipster as they combined black metal with shoegaze and post rock/post metal thus ruining the black metal purity and are far and away the most mainstream/popular black metal has ever been. They are also really loving good.

Listening to Gojira in year 10 is why I'm an environmentalist and Greens member 10 years later. I learnt about the great pacific garbage patch from one of their songs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AgentF posted:

Would the traditional aborigines have understood the idea of radioactive material? I'm pretty sure europeans wouldn't have known what that was until like the 1800s or something.

I believe it essentially translated to area of sickness. Basically nothing healthy could be found and people would get sick from drinking the water in the area.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Buladjang, or sickness country.

https://www.bushwalkingholidays.com.au/info-kak-buladjang.shtml

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Count Chocula posted:

In Pacific Rim, a kaiju actually attacks Sydney Harbor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHC8wZHB3ZI

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Not everyone knows you live behind the skilltester at your local hoyts.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did anyone listen to am this morning? They had Joyce on and he was chucking a massive tanty and hung up after being asked about the allegations of sexual assault.

"nothing was proven so stop bringing it up, I'm very effective"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I have. If you like Beyond the Black Rainbow go and see Mandy, which is currently playing if you can find a session. Traveling Monster Fest will probably still have screenings before the end of October.

Mandy wrapped up on Monday buddy.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

say hello.jpg posted:

Oh hey Swinburne bud. Yeah dude was weird. Started smashing fluorescent lights in the student lounge one day and made numerous violent threats against students and staff before chucking himself in front of a train :rip:

He actually went and visited the weirdo time cube guy in America who apparently was a total dick to him which led to him getting into Christian fundamentalism for a bit

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Also love when the person in charge of regulating charities openly supports eugenics

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also love when the person in charge of regulating charities openly supports eugenics

I mean really, who else would you expect this government to hire to that position?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh hey Swinburne bud. Yeah dude was weird. Started smashing fluorescent lights in the student lounge one day and made numerous violent threats against students and staff before chucking himself in front of a train :rip:

He actually went and visited the weirdo time cube guy in America who apparently was a total dick to him which led to him getting into Christian fundamentalism for a bit

When did this happen? I was at Swinburne for a year and half but don't recall this ever being brought up?

Count Chocula posted:

My entire aesthetic philosophy is that ‘sense’, ‘narrative’ and ‘plot’ are bullshit and what matters in movies are beautiful images, so i’m looking forward to seeing this. Thanks!

So anything Roger Deakins shot then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

screaden posted:

When did this happen? I was at Swinburne for a year and half but don't recall this ever being brought up?

So anything Roger Deakins shot then?

Would have been 2006/7 I’m pretty sure

• Locked thread