Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

steinrokkan posted:

Lol, it's been there since September 10, and the single editor of that article has been "improving" it every couple of days.

Looks like Xayahrainie43 is banned now. I checked their edit history and :psyduck:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Xayahrainie43/duodecimal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Xayahrainie43

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Onety Twoty threety fourty fivety sixty seventy eighty ninety onetyty

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“I’m Twoty two”

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Reminding me of one of the weirder Schoolhouse Rock videos: https://youtu.be/_uJsoZheTR4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

quote:

Redirects of the type \n and \xn
Xayahrainie43, you recently created a list of redirects following the \xn and \n pattern:

\x7F \127
\x7E \126
\x7D \125
\x7C \124
\x7B \123
?
\x60 \96
\x5F \95
\x5E \94
\x5D \93
\x5C \92
\x5B \91
\x5A \90
(list goes on)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Chitin posted:

Actually Beta was a fairly common delivery format for standard def television programming long after VCR went obsolete so a working BetaMax player is likely still operating at most broadcast television stations. I've delivered content on Beta and I'm only 33.
:goonsay:

Betamax (the consumer video format) and Betacam (the professional video format that you used) are not the same thing. The tapes are more or less identical, but you can't playback a tape that's been recorded on one system with with a deck from the other because the actual recording format is different. Because Sony.

Theris has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Oct 23, 2018

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Huh. The more you know.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Xayahrainie43 was not the editor that Wikipedia wanted but the editor that Wikipedia deserved. :rip:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

He keeps on changing IPs to edit this page and people keep on blocking the IPs and reverting all the edits. wikipedia.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

It is a real thing but that's just obsessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6xJfP7-HCc

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Why 12 instead of 16? gently caress that trash number.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

it's very divisible

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Why 12 instead of 16? gently caress that trash number.

That’s worse than base ten!

At least ten gets a new prime in its factorisation (2×5 vs. 24).

You know what would be better than a five? A three, giving us base six.

What’s that? You think six is an impractically small base? Well let’s add another two to its factorisation.

Oh poo poo now we have twelve.

Any base that isn’t colossally abundant is garbage for babies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the reason we use base 16 in computers is just because it's a handy shorthand for the actual base in use, base 2. It just allows us to compress a string of 4 digits into 1 with an easy conversion. It's not particularly useful for anything else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I wandered into a dozenal forum where they say things like

quote:

4 gross 1 dozen 7 numbers that represent the co-incidence of the two sequences

Send help.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Agreed fellow smart people, the number is bad

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Platystemon posted:

I wandered into a dozenal forum where they say things like

Send help.

I'm glad I googled what the hell A301414 is, because now I fully understand that it is obviously the numbers k in A301413 such that k * A002110(m) is in A002182. Or this fetching sparkly top, one of the two

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pronouncing "e" as "el", sure that sounds like a perfectly good idea.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Platystemon posted:

That’s worse than base ten!

At least ten gets a new prime in its factorisation (2×5 vs. 24).

You know what would be better than a five? A three, giving us base six.

What’s that? You think six is an impractically small base? Well let’s add another two to its factorisation.

Oh poo poo now we have twelve.

Any base that isn’t colossally abundant is garbage for babies.
Haha yeah, I know what all this means and I agree with it, unless you're wrong in which case I disagree

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Can I be the one who understands none of it but reads the wiki and argues to the death over points I still don’t grasp?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Haha yeah, I know what all this means and I agree with it, unless you're wrong in which case I disagree

I clicked on the colossally abundant link and I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wikipedia article worse at explaining something to a layperson.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Regy Rusty posted:

I clicked on the colossally abundant link and I'm not sure I've ever seen a Wikipedia article worse at explaining something to a layperson.

A huge portion of the math articles are like that because they're written by and for grad students, who have zero interest in making them accessible but extreme interest in making them rigorous and succinct.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Superabundant: you take a number, find all its divisors, then add them up.

If this is a very big total (very big meaning that when you divide the total by the original number, the result is bigger than any smaller number's result), then the number is superabundant.

Colossally abundant numbers and superior highly composite are like that, but you divide by a bunch of bigger numbers instead.

Why anyone cares? It might be useful in a complicated proof involving prime numbers, but since nobody's written it yet its impossible to know for sure.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A huge portion of the math articles are like that because they're written by and for grad students, who have zero interest in making them accessible but extreme interest in making them rigorous and succinct.

I wrote Way Too Many loving Words about this problem a few years ago:
https://medium.com/@Birdbassador/wikipedia-the-internet-and-the-inequality-of-passion-1c4a690a26ee

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thank you for that link, that was a good read. I dunno the solution for the math section either, though I think I'd be happy if at least the opening section of the article had to be written in a way that was easy to understand and at least give me an idea what this stuff was, even if the whole rest of the article was impossibly technical.

Also I laughed as soon as I saw the Silent Hill section, what a ride that story was.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Great article, thanks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

learnincurve posted:

Can I be the one who understands none of it but reads the wiki and argues to the death over points I still don’t grasp?

one fishmech is plenty thanks

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Great write up. The problem of attracting good editors/contributors reminds me of a part from a Douglas Adams' book:

Douglas Adams posted:

The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

e: for the record, the actual numbers:

DariusLikewise posted:

i did an actual graph of deficits, im pretty sure harpers -55 billion is still the largest in history

vyelkin has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Oct 25, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah we're pretty sure it will double by 2020, trust us guy

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah we're pretty sure it will double by 2020, trust us guy
If I was on a real computer right now, I'd shop this onto Disco Stu's Disco sales chart.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Regy Rusty posted:

Thank you for that link, that was a good read. I dunno the solution for the math section either, though I think I'd be happy if at least the opening section of the article had to be written in a way that was easy to understand and at least give me an idea what this stuff was, even if the whole rest of the article was impossibly technical.
The solution is to use MathWorld instead. It's still mathy but to the point.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Ok, I'm a poltergayst.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I also like the complex psychological process of wanting to do things you have enjoyed previously, basically a form of insanity right there

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

"Mainly ghosts" makes me laugh every drat time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not a graph but I still feel it should belong here.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
That is goddamn amazing.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

[quote]If you want 200 wings you can save 5 cents by buying 150+50 separately[/quote[

:eng101: buy four lots of 50 wings and you save ten cents

This is the single greatest menu known to man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

https://twitter.com/lkatzenberg/status/1055560700108701697?s=21