Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Every man in the Mexican army will be given an ice pick and instructions to aim for the back of Stalin's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Alright, we have the Soviet Union and Italy, major powers in World War II who we have not addressed, and we have Finland who played a major role in the Eastern Front, but the game's mechanics aren't refined enough to make it more reflect reality. Spain, with a big civil war that could tip the balance in western Europe for the axis, the comintern, or allies.

I know just what we need

The name of the image is "MEX_Trotsky_awake_and_angry.png

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 24, 2018

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
10/10, time to icepick Stalin.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so does mexico just annex the soviet union if trotsky ends up in charge of both

My guess is that Mexico probably doesn't get this option until the USSR does the purges, so it wouldn't be possible for Trotsky to show up as available for both.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
can’t wait for the wet fart of a Soviet tree expansion just in time for hoi5

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I’m curious to see if the “Invite Spanish Civil War Refugees” focuses have any specific ties to the new government in exile mechanic. Historically the Republican government in exile moved to Mexico after France fell and was recognized by Cárdenas as legitimate instead of the Nationalists.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

can’t wait for the wet fart of a Soviet tree expansion just in time for hoi5

The next expansion’s been hinted on stream to be Scandinavia / Baltics / Soviet Rework themed, and they want to introduce new/reworked focus trees in thematic groups, so it’s coming as soon as plausible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the game's been out for 2 years already, the soviet tree expansion is at absolute best still a year away. this despite the german/soviet front being the central focus of ww2

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Playing KR with all of the majors buffed in custom game options, Japan manages to defeat both AOG and Qing, did some focus tree trickery to get Ostaisa from Germany while she's busy with France then also convinces the Great Khanate alliance to join the Co-Prosperity Sphere

this is less than ideal

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
So all I have to do is not post an ice pick and the revolution will begin? Sold.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Plotac 75 posted:

So all I have to do is not post an ice pick and the revolution will begin? Sold.

yeah, good thing counterrevolutionaries are dumb and are just outing themselves

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Today's revolutionary is tomorrow's dissident arrested for counterrevolutionary activities.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

yeah, good thing counterrevolutionaries are dumb and are just outing themselves

I'm plenty supportive of revolution, just, y'know, not when it happens to me.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Funky Valentine posted:

Today's revolutionary is tomorrow's dissident arrested for counterrevolutionary activities.

The system works.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The real revolution was the friends we made and then sold out to Dzerzhinsky along the way.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I really, really want this new patch/DLC to come out. The improvements to the trees are great and will make playing in North America somewhat interesting for not-Canada now.

I'm honestly debating doing a Trotsky Mexico as my first game because it's an amazing idea. I'm annoyed that the USSR and Italy trees are still pretty horrible though. USSR is probably the worst in the game at this point.

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 25, 2018

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Red. Mad. Nude.

Trotsky 1939

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I haven't been following dev diaries for Man the Goons very much, is there a Brazilian tree yet?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
No

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

looking at the focus tree comparison really makes me want another pass on the trees for the earlier dlc. i expect the majors to get one in the future for sure, but the tfv trees are both tiny and not very fun. its mostly minor tech buffs and unlocking options other nations have by default. also way less decisions of course. dod trees are generally better, but could use a little love as well.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

They should do trees for Nat/Rep Spain and Brazil first, and then go back and do a modernizing pass on the remaining basegame focus trees + TfV before working on anything new.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Drone posted:

They should do trees for Nat/Rep Spain and Brazil first, and then go back and do a modernizing pass on the remaining basegame focus trees + TfV before working on anything new.

Hows your Timeline 191 mod going?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Basticle posted:

Hows your Timeline 191 mod going?

I stopped having free time and haven't hosed around with it in a good while. I haven't even played a mapgame, any mapgame, in like two months.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Drone posted:

This update has 3 new trees (Netherlands, USA, Mexico) so I think they might be able to squeeze in USSR and/or Italy into the next patch along with both flavors of Spain and Brazil.

I hope the next patch focuses on giving the rest of the notable nations unique trees and also fixes war conferences because they still give really weird results.

It'd also be neat if they could focus on some post-1944 stuff as right now even if things set up for an Allies/ComIntern showdown after WWII I never want to actually play it because of how messed up the map gets after the peace conference.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

This update has 3 new trees (Netherlands, USA, Mexico) so I think they might be able to squeeze in USSR and/or Italy into the next patch along with both flavors of Spain and Brazil.

I hope the next patch focuses on giving the rest of the notable nations unique trees and also fixes war conferences because they still give really weird results.

It'd also be neat if they could focus on some post-1944 stuff as right now even if things set up for an Allies/ComIntern showdown after WWII I never want to actually play it because of how messed up the map gets after the peace conference.
This update has massive overhauls of the US and UK trees and new trees for Netherlands and Mexico.

Someone said up-thread that on a dev stream that the next expansion may be Baltic focused so maybe that would mean 4 new trees for the Nordic countries and an update to the Soviets.

I think the biggest thing they need to fix is that Germany is so bad at killing off the entirety of its manpower by the start of 1941. In like....6 months of playing this game often, including many games as China, Japan, Italy, plus several games as smaller powers like Turkey, Sweden, South Africa, India, ect all of whom have no direct affect on the Eastern Front, Germany lost *every* time and 90% of the time was on Scraping the Barrel by the end of 1941 while the Soviets werent even up to Service by Requirement.

I think the Soviets are far too well equipped and combat capable at the start of the war.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Davincie posted:

looking at the focus tree comparison really makes me want another pass on the trees for the earlier dlc. i expect the majors to get one in the future for sure, but the tfv trees are both tiny and not very fun. its mostly minor tech buffs and unlocking options other nations have by default. also way less decisions of course. dod trees are generally better, but could use a little love as well.

jesus christ NEW loving ZEALAND has more focuses than the soviets?!?!?!?

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Davincie posted:

lmao at Italy, but preserving Italian incompetence should be a design goal anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think the Germans are far too well equipped and combat capable at the start of the war.

This is true too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Raskolnikov38 posted:

jesus christ NEW loving ZEALAND has more focuses than the soviets?!?!?!?

Good.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I can't wait for the 130+ USA and UK focus trees that each take 70 days to complete

E: I didn't consider that it includes mutual branches like going fascist. So I'm dumb

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

This update has massive overhauls of the US and UK trees and new trees for Netherlands and Mexico.

Someone said up-thread that on a dev stream that the next expansion may be Baltic focused so maybe that would mean 4 new trees for the Nordic countries and an update to the Soviets.

I think the biggest thing they need to fix is that Germany is so bad at killing off the entirety of its manpower by the start of 1941. In like....6 months of playing this game often, including many games as China, Japan, Italy, plus several games as smaller powers like Turkey, Sweden, South Africa, India, ect all of whom have no direct affect on the Eastern Front, Germany lost *every* time and 90% of the time was on Scraping the Barrel by the end of 1941 while the Soviets werent even up to Service by Requirement.

I think the Soviets are far too well equipped and combat capable at the start of the war.

Yeah it's tough to figure out because in otl, the Soviets were really, really screwed up because of the purges and because Stalin couldn't believe Hitler was actually invading and made basically no plans to defend anything at the start. The way the game is now, if they can keep Germany from getting beyond the marshes in Ukraine/Belarus they'll easily win because of their enormous manpower advantage.

But if you make the Soviet Union a wet paper bag until 1943/1944 then a competent human player as Germany should be able to crush them easily. Meanwhile, they're horribly un-fun to play as for a human and end up not playing nearly as large of a role as they did historically which also feels weird.

Balancing this game must be such a headache.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

axeil posted:

Yeah it's tough to figure out because in otl, the Soviets were really, really screwed up because of the purges and because Stalin couldn't believe Hitler was actually invading and made basically no plans to defend anything at the start. The way the game is now, if they can keep Germany from getting beyond the marshes in Ukraine/Belarus they'll easily win because of their enormous manpower advantage.

But if you make the Soviet Union a wet paper bag until 1943/1944 then a competent human player as Germany should be able to crush them easily. Meanwhile, they're horribly un-fun to play as for a human and end up not playing nearly as large of a role as they did historically which also feels weird.

The other side there, the USSR in HOI4 just mauls Finland to outright capitulation in like 2 weeks instead of floundering against em twice. Part of why the Germans were so confident they'd cut through the Soviets so easily was having seen the USSR's dismal performance against Finland. You'd think German high command would change up some views if they were looking at a USSR where the Finns went under faster than France.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

axeil posted:

There are times when its role as a Game conflicts with its role as a History Simulator. Specifically, given that it's a game you want it to be possible for Germany to actually win, despite that being impossible in actual history. Unfortunately, this means that you have to weaken the Soviet Union, as they were a huge part of why Germany had no chance. But you also have to balance for three distinct situations.

Player as Germany - You want the Germans to have a chance, but make the Soviet Union a difficult opponent
Player as Soviets - This time the Soviets must have a chance, but the Germans should be difficult
Player as neither - War between the two should follow a path similar to history

Buuuut the AI is much worse than the player. This means that any balance is going to be very tenuous. The best bet would probably be to implement a sort of default buff to certain AI nations based on what you're playing as. Like the current sliders with different defaults.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

chairface posted:

The other side there, the USSR in HOI4 just mauls Finland to outright capitulation in like 2 weeks instead of floundering against em twice. Part of why the Germans were so confident they'd cut through the Soviets so easily was having seen the USSR's dismal performance against Finland. You'd think German high command would change up some views if they were looking at a USSR where the Finns went under faster than France.

i'm actually surprised that the winter war wasn't gated behind the border conflict mechanism when they introduced it. it'd be perfect for simulating the soviet's dismal performance instead of letting you stick an entire army group with aggressive attack orders on the borders

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

axeil posted:

I agree. I was careful not to be critical of the game when stating my observations because I work in software and hooo boy I do not envy whoever has to deal with trying to balance this nightmare. I do not have a good suggestion for a fix (though I do like the suggestion someone in this thread had of making the Soviets have to deal with the same thing that Nat China does where they spend Army XP to remove debuffs over time).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

I agree. I was careful not to be critical of the game when stating my observations because I work in software and hooo boy I do not envy whoever has to deal with trying to balance this nightmare. I do not have a good suggestion for a fix (though I do like the suggestion someone in this thread had of making the Soviets have to deal with the same thing that Nat China does where they spend Army XP to remove debuffs over time).

A Nationalist China approach to the USSR would be interesting.

Imo, I'm more interested in them really building out the "what if Stalin wasn't a moron?" timeline. In a USSR without de-kulakization, forced starvation, and purges the Soviets would've likely been an absolute beast circa 1940. This is probably impossible to code, but a very strong and aggressive Soviet Union should cause the rest of the world to react the same way they did to a strong and aggressive Germany, but building everything out would be a real nightmare I imagine.

I think for now they're probably better off just buffing/debuffing Germany/USSR as needed so you get an interesting outcome and spending 6 months, a year, whatever to really balance it up and make it fun.

I'm really happy that the HOI4 team seems to be really focused on making the game better. I went from never having played a game in Asia in HOI2/HOI3 to playing a bunch in a row because of how much more interesting it is. They did such a great job with the China expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

axeil posted:

The issue is that we don't need a balanced game, what we would need is a game that is unbalanced in the right direction at the right time. People come into HoI expecting a perfect re-run of WWII, complete with the Germans being defeated at the gates of Moscow and Stalingrad. At the same time they don't want bullshit events ruining their brilliant three-pronged envelopment of the Soviet Armies on their way to Stalingrad. So we need to somehow make a game which makes the historical narrative happen organically. This has been a constant thorn in our side and I don't really have a good solution for it.

The entire surrender system, for example, is built around a single use-case: make France fall quickly. That it works for anything else is a bonus. France is also dramatically weaker than they should be considering their historical situation because if Germany doesn't beat France quickly the entire game kind of fizzles out. This is also the reason why we have been so reluctant to add the phoney war period - anything that upsets this delicate balance (like a France that has an additional 6 months to sort its poo poo out) is a massive problem.

We are the only Paradox game that has to deal with this, because if people post a Vicky II game where a fascist Russia and a communist France are played against each other by a republican Britain everyone nods and talks about how amazingly plausible this all is. HoI would work much better if we started in 1910 and just ran from there (and I feel that oine of the reasons why the more far-fetched alt-history branches work is because they remove the frame of reference).

Funnily enough, the hardcore wargames like War in the East just have a bunch of hard-coded rules to make sure the chain of events stays roughly historical. they have a combat simulation that tracks every rifle of every squad of every division of the eastern front, on both sides, but when the first winter hits the Soviets don't have to play by the regular combat rules anymore because if they did the Germans would win 9 times out of 10.