Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

Wait. Why is pxe involved in this now? That’s like 2 levels up.

Just imagine me with a rake and it will all make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

Just imagine me with a rake and it will all make sense.

do you just punch yourself in the dick in the bathrooms now?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I work from home m8

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

I work from home m8

Describe the smell.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I am going to be very salty if we've been long-conned again, like that guy who claimed to have been promoted to Security Jihadist and ordered to install spyware on his coworker's computers. And then started asking what a "Microsoft AD Directory" was and how legal it was to keylog everything everyone does.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

I am going to be very salty if we've been long-conned again, like that guy who claimed to have been promoted to Security Jihadist and ordered to install spyware on his coworker's computers. And then started asking what a "Microsoft AD Directory" was and how legal it was to keylog everything everyone does.
I will confirm that everything Methanar said today is 100% true

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

Because according to systemd it might have maybe been a contributing factor to why some pxe boot stuff wasn't coming up.

Q: Why do our servers have bluetooth installed?
A: Its complicated.

Just hear me out okay.

I promise you its Nvidia's fault.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
don't need pxe when your poo poo's in the cloud my dude

juuust sayin

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We are having some truly insane connectivity issues and they are almost certainly not the same but I am very interested to know what the cause of his were.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

don't need pxe when your poo poo's in the cloud my dude

juuust sayin

Yeah pxe is a network thing, and now that the cloud is here, well, you know.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sepist posted:

Our open concept floor plan is becoming even more open concept. No assigned desks, managers dont get offices.

Edit: oh yea. If you need a place to store personal space you can grab a free locker. 3:1 over subscription :v:

Wait until people ignore it and go to their usual desk and management then puts numbers on desk and forces you to grab a number from a hat to get your desk.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wasn't aware you could even spec wireless connections in a server

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I have a devops team of 10. 4 of them were hired as devops people and are paid as such. 1 was promoted because he is brilliant and wasted in QA. The other 5 were a mix of current sysadmins or sysadmins we hired to turn into devops people. Of course all 6 of the non-original dev-ops guys are paid middle range sys admin salaries in the 80-90k region while the rest are 110-130.

I am losing 3 as they have found companies to pay them what they are worth. I am probably going to lose the other 3 sometime in the next 2 months. All could have been kept by just paying them the market rate. We could have realized the savings of paying them under market for their time being brought up to speed and trained on our systems. Just the money spent to find and onboard new people is going to make the money spent on raises a trivial squabble.

The cherry on this poo poo Sundae is that I just got out of the company leadership meeting where I was asked why we are losing so many on this team so abruptly. I now have a meeting my calendar with the vp of HR for "retention strategies".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Retention strategy: Pay people what they are worth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

I now have a meeting my calendar with the vp of HR for "retention strategies".

Strategy One - pay people market rate for positions

Strategy Two - See Strategy One

e: ^^ FB; :argh:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sickening posted:

I have a devops team of 10. 4 of them were hired as devops people and are paid as such. 1 was promoted because he is brilliant and wasted in QA. The other 5 were a mix of current sysadmins or sysadmins we hired to turn into devops people. Of course all 6 of the non-original dev-ops guys are paid middle range sys admin salaries in the 80-90k region while the rest are 110-130.

I am losing 3 as they have found companies to pay them what they are worth. I am probably going to lose the other 3 sometime in the next 2 months. All could have been kept by just paying them the market rate. We could have realized the savings of paying them under market for their time being brought up to speed and trained on our systems. Just the money spent to find and onboard new people is going to make the money spent on raises a trivial squabble.

The cherry on this poo poo Sundae is that I just got out of the company leadership meeting where I was asked why we are losing so many on this team so abruptly. I now have a meeting my calendar with the vp of HR for "retention strategies".

Just print out your post from a bit ago and slide it across the table in the meeting with HR.

Sickening posted:

Being a director and fighting with senior leadership about IT salaries is frustrating. Even when our plan works, we sabotage ourselves with greed.

So were hired and converted mid level sysadmins into sysadmins who can devops a little bit. Guys making 80-90k are now useful in docker/kubernetes working along side devs to roll out new web deployments. They are efficient, they know our systems, and we have saved a poo poo load of money over hiring externally.

But now its time to pay the piper. 5 of them could make 40-50k very, very easily by just actively looking for another gig because that is simply what dev-ops (sys-ops?) guys make around here.

So instead of paying them in the range they are worth and keeping them for the next 2-3 years and still realize the initial savings, crusty old school leaders and bean counters don't want to budge. The ancient HR EVP actually said "there is no way we can give them a raise bigger than 10% that is just ludicrous." and I couldn't help but smirk at her. I didn't do myself any favors but I made it very clear that despite whatever artificial rules we place on ourselves companies are just going to offer them something they can't ignore.

Probably will lose more than half the team come the end of Jan.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

The people who leave will poach some of your devops, and they will leave because they don't want to deal with doing double the work while the new positions are being filled and trained and the constant turnover.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

lampey posted:

The people who leave will poach some of your devops, and they will leave because they don't want to deal with doing double the work while the new positions are being filled and trained and the constant turnover.

Yeah when I left my job to my current I poached a shitton as an added gently caress you for not paying me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

Wasn't aware you could even spec wireless connections in a server

Hello from MSP land, where half the time you walk in to a new site the "server" is just whichever PC had the most disk space or was being used by the person in charge of whatever the server is relating to.

I've mostly been able to win them over to at least using one of the "Optiplex-badged-as-Poweredge" type boxes but still have a few out there where a NUC would be a legitimate improvement.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You mean you haven't run Exchange 2003 off of a laptop with a "DO NOT POWER OFF" label on it?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

You mean you haven't run Exchange 2003 off of a laptop with a "DO NOT POWER OFF" label on it?
Wasn’t this Methanar, and wasn’t it Notes?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Aunt Beth posted:

Wasn’t this Methanar, and wasn’t it Notes?

Yeah, I think that's when he had that System and Landscape Administration job

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

We run the SAP system for a major international restaurant chain and the application server for it runs on an old HP desktop in our server room labeled "DO NOT TURN OFF."

Until a couple years ago the database server was another desktop with a few drives in it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kashuno posted:

We run the SAP system for a major international restaurant chain and the application server for it runs on an old HP desktop in our server room labeled "DO NOT TURN OFF."

Until a couple years ago the database server was another desktop with a few drives in it.

Is there any particular reason why this wasn't P2V'd ages ago?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is there any particular reason why this wasn't P2V'd ages ago?

Their SAP instance is R/3 4.6. At some point in the past they bought licensing for ECC and were going to take over the ERP and host it on their systems, but then they never did so it has just been left in weird limbo. The database is virtualized but for a lot of 'office politic' reasons I can't actually just virtualize their app server without approval from them

It's bad and also dumb

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I hate servers. That's all there is to it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Vargatron posted:

I hate servers. That's all there is to it.

Same. In the cloud, or out of it.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dell seems really lovely since they went private. I'm trying to extend a warranty for a client that has resulted in a multi-day affair between the dell rep and the extended warranty team where they keep handing me quotes that are just wrong. Like, a quote for three year warranty extension that magically became two years while they were fixing some other issue with it. Getting the rep to go back to get the warranty team to fix it has taken 48 hours so far. If I didn't think they were just terrible I'd assume they were trying to short change me a year in some kind of scam because the quote was otherwise identical to the first one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They have been absolutely awful. The decline certainly didn't start when they went private, but it sure as hell hasn't gotten any better. Unfortunately, HP or IBM isn't any better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a Dell rep hassle us to buy direct rather than just using their Premier site to get a price and then buying it from somewhere else. I agreed to take him up on his offer and he then spent three weeks failing to get an account set up so we could place orders direct and get invoices for them.

Always let a VAR take the strain, it's worth the tiny price difference and you might end up with a rep that sticks around for longer than two weeks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

We had a Dell rep hassle us to buy direct rather than just using their Premier site to get a price and then buying it from somewhere else. I agreed to take him up on his offer and he then spent three weeks failing to get an account set up so we could place orders direct and get invoices for them.

Always let a VAR take the strain, it's worth the tiny price difference and you might end up with a rep that sticks around for longer than two weeks.

Yup. Learned that lesson a few years back. It's such a joke. I always use a VAR now. I'll pay extra to not have to jump through those stupid hoops to beg a quote out of a company. Looking at you Dell, Mellanox, every storage company ever.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think we went through a Dell rep about once a quarter at my previous job. I just assumed that entry level sales was high turnover anyway.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

All big company reps are terrible forever. I find that the exceptions to this are rare.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

I now have a meeting my calendar with the vp of HR for "retention strategies".

Make the retention function return true immediately.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Should be a quick meeting. "Pay more".

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuupppp. Turnover comes in bursts for a reason.

You honestly might be able to salvage this if they, like, pay more right loving now. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Internet Explorer posted:

They have been absolutely awful. The decline certainly didn't start when they went private, but it sure as hell hasn't gotten any better. Unfortunately, HP or IBM isn't any better.

HP's gear has been getting better over the last few years. The Elitebook 840/850 G5s are nicely specced machines that are really easy to work on. Unfortunately their business practices still suck.

Just recently I got a machine (840 G2) in that was having weird sleep issues, would end up really hot after being shut down normally and taken home, it would run super hot and spin the fans all day. I checked it out and discovered that the battery was starting to swell. I put a new one in and the machine is behaving itself now.

HP denied the warranty claim on the battery, probably because their crappy diagnostics passed it as good so no fault code. We paid for the super duper extended warranty, specifically including batteries. We escalated that to our Swiss Overlords; when you have upwards of 100,000 users vendors try and keep you sweet.

Also, :yotj:

Unless a backordered LCD panel comes in tomorrow I have done my last repair on this team. Monday I start with the lab systems support team, so Friday will be an in-office vacation day.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of turnover: our operations department massively underpays most of its employees. They had two of their best people quit, one of whom had 20ish years of institutional knowledge and was the sole person who knew the ins and outs of so many loving systems, who spent months saying "I can't continue to be the only person doing these things" while a bunch of their far-less-competent people did the bare minimum to not get fired. Then, we poached another one of their best people who was new-ish (8 months) because when he asked for more money (on the basis of taking on a bunch of extra responsibility that wasn't part of his job at the start) they just jerked him around with "maybes" and "we'll talk about its," we had an opening, and we aren't hemorrhaging people. Then, another one of their best people applied for a position in another department, and when asked what they could do to keep her, told them "pay me more," and was told "well, we can't do that!"

But they will definitely manage to maintain all of the people interested in a low, steady paycheck who don't want to do much work. Truly, the model all departments can hope to follow.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

We started keeping spare new laptops on hand for the first time mostly because of changes at Dell resulting in orders unpredictably taking longer to fill, but also because of savings from bigger bulk orders, overall growth in the customer base, and more standardization in what we order. It shouldn't take weeks to get an account setup or 48 hours to change a quote, but sometimes you get stuck with a bad rep. Still works better for us than HP Lenovo or Panasonic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As much as my boss is trying to offer me what he can, this week he confided in me that he realizes the real strain on the IT department is that the Operations department literally doesn’t exist outside of the warehouse because our COO is so insufferable to work for that IT has been basically forced to be both IT and Ops, and that if that side of the business doesn’t get poo poo together he’s worried all of the IT department will quit very soon.

He’s not wrong.