Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

DariusLikewise posted:

Hot Take: All video game stories suck and games should be judged on gameplay alone

:emptyquote:

goddamnit I have the worst page snipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

Hot Take: All video game stories suck and games should be judged on gameplay alone

Meh,
Not all. I mean Metal Gear Solid has the story of all stories….

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

metal gear solid sucks poo poo and kojima is japan's david cage

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

metal gear solid sucks poo poo and kojima is japan's david cage

Metal Gear games have gameplay, somehow less corpse loving

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Is it just Reddit, or has everybody flipped the script on Battlefield vs Call of Duty? Battlefield has been excellent for a long time, ridiculous amount of content. Great gameplay. It's great.

COD has been this cheap feeling version of Quake with modern guns where it feels like you are on a freakishly smooth track gliding across the battlefield instead of inside a virtual character. Along with them seemingly doing everything wrong for the future of gaming with microtransactions, wrapping things behind pay walls left and right.

On top of that, all I've been reading is that Black Ops servers were majorly downgraded after the beta and now run like poo poo during it's flagship battle royal mode.

People support that? The Battlefield series has seemed to be made for the player with ridiculous amounts of content either for free or at low prices. Like they are listening to the player and the COD series listens to "corporate", for a lack of a better term.

What's wrong with Battlefield V?

I know the battle royal mode got postponed to March....so?

It's just Reddit being a bunch of entitled babies, isn't it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

89 posted:

Is it just Reddit, or has everybody flipped the script on Battlefield vs Call of Duty? Battlefield has been excellent for a long time, ridiculous amount of content. Great gameplay. It's great.

COD has been this cheap feeling version of Quake with modern guns where it feels like you are on a freakishly smooth track gliding across the battlefield instead of inside a virtual character. Along with them seemingly doing everything wrong for the future of gaming with microtransactions, wrapping things behind pay walls left and right.

On top of that, all I've been reading is that Black Ops servers were majorly downgraded after the beta and now run like poo poo during it's flagship battle royal mode.

People support that? The Battlefield series has seemed to be made for the player with ridiculous amounts of content either for free or at low prices. Like they are listening to the player and the COD series listens to "corporate", for a lack of a better term.

COD has always been pretty good, also why are you reading reddit

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The new COD is sort of a breath of fresh air. I never played Blops 2-3, and only casually touched the MP in Advanced Warfare (boooo), Infinite Warfare (cool) and WW2 (meh).

A lot of people are comparing the new COD to MW2, which is the pinnacle of the series. It also has a shitload of game modes. Blackout is the top tier BR game right now. It plays insanely well.

BFV has been through a myriad of problems. It's been delayed, a bunch of the game isn't even launching until Feb-March 2019. The beta sucked, the preorders are low.

On top of that, a lot of my friends have decided that BF1 is a wet fart. It was great for the first two months when it came out but it became clear they hadn't really changed much.

My friends and I have been hashing this out for a while, and it comes down to the fact that we think we're over Battlefield.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Yeah BF1 was pretty underwhelming, Dice making both Battlefront and Battlefield has made the quality of both terrible and BFV has most poo poo that should be in coming after launch and has already been delayed.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Beastie posted:

The new COD is sort of a breath of fresh air. I never played Blops 2-3, and only casually touched the MP in Advanced Warfare (boooo), Infinite Warfare (cool) and WW2 (meh).

A lot of people are comparing the new COD to MW2, which is the pinnacle of the series. It also has a shitload of game modes. Blackout is the top tier BR game right now. It plays insanely well.

BFV has been through a myriad of problems. It's been delayed, a bunch of the game isn't even launching until Feb-March 2019. The beta sucked, the preorders are low.

On top of that, a lot of my friends have decided that BF1 is a wet fart. It was great for the first two months when it came out but it became clear they hadn't really changed much.

My friends and I have been hashing this out for a while, and it comes down to the fact that we think we're over Battlefield.
I guess I never knew which COD was the A team ones. The B team ones played like crap for sure. Maybe I should give COD a second chance.

I actually really liked Battlefield 1. But, I suppose that case makes sense for Battlefield V

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I can't keep track of the COD teams either. I've been buying the COD games on discounts and just dipping my toes in. Blops4 is the first one in a long time that I've jumped in head first for.

BF1 was awesome at first but the honeymoon wore off. The guns sucked, the maps were meh, vehicle combat sucked. I was going to wait to get BFV anyways but now I'm wondering if I'll get it at all.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Just not having goddamn jet packs and wall running factored into every map makes this COD better than the last like 3-4 of them.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
One thing that made CoD really enjoyable for me were the challenges/rewards & unlockables, i.e. get so many kills with each weapon to earn skins & badges/banners, get so many kills while crouching/prone, etc. Does BLOPS4 have these challenges as well? If so, are they only available for regular multiplayer modes and not BR? The gameplay is fun, but I like working towards a goal in each match other than get the most kills.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

fps games peaked with bad company 2 and it's all been downhill from there

e: reminder that bc2 is backwards compatible and on ea access, so you could go back and play that masterpiece any time

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 24, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

One thing that made CoD really enjoyable for me were the challenges/rewards & unlockables, i.e. get so many kills with each weapon to earn skins & badges/banners, get so many kills while crouching/prone, etc. Does BLOPS4 have these challenges as well? If so, are they only available for regular multiplayer modes and not BR? The gameplay is fun, but I like working towards a goal in each match other than get the most kills.

Yeah it has them and the Blackout mode has them too

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Disc buy-ailures, some news about Redder and Deader.

At least according to the EU version, the physical Xbox One version, like the PS4 version, will be on two discs. One disc is a "data disc" that will dump the first half of the game's data, with the "play disc" dumping the second half of the game's data and being the only disc used for playing the game. The "day one" patch on PS4 is a little under 3.4 gigs and I imagine it'll be something similar on Xbox One.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Battlefield 1 owns and V looks awesome. Alot of the anger is a loving nerds mad about SJW or some poo poo lol

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'll get RDR2 on digital. Will probably preload tonight as I'm working from home on Friday.

I was hyped as hell for BFV until I played the beta.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

Disc buy-ailures, some news about Redder and Deader.

At least according to the EU version, the physical Xbox One version, like the PS4 version, will be on two discs. One disc is a "data disc" that will dump the first half of the game's data, with the "play disc" dumping the second half of the game's data and being the only disc used for playing the game. The "day one" patch on PS4 is a little under 3.4 gigs and I imagine it'll be something similar on Xbox One.

This is stupid. I want a dramatic cutscene to end with a pop up saying "Insert Disc 2"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

89 posted:

there's goddamn WOMEN and BLACKS in the game and AGH MY IMMERSION THERE'S A WOMAN ON THE GODDAMN COVER AH gently caress SJWWWWWWWS

that's Reddit's problem, my problem is BF1 was underwhelming in the end and just not much fun, so I'm waiting BFV out. Also,

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

fps games peaked with bad company 2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Battlefield has stagnated imo. They used to be the big server shooter but now those are becoming more and more common as br games pop up everywhere and battlefield is just going to take a crack at that cause its easy rather than try and be a more in depth larger scale battlefield sandbox that brings the series up to date. Bf2 was so amazing in like 2005 or whatever. I never played anything like it. Now i can jump in a vehicle and grief 99 other people in almost every new shooter

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I’ve been with BF since 1942, an amazing game. Nam was crazy but wasn’t quite as wacky and fun as 42, although the musical choppers ruled.

BF2 was a huge step up and the game hasn’t really changed much from there.

Personally I enjoyed BC2 and BF3 the most, but that’s when I had made the jump to console.

4 was fine, I skipped the police game after that. 1 was bombastic for the first two months I had it but the guns sucked and the vehicles were even worse.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
In dead console shooting game news, PUBG is rolling out a big patch tonight that fixes one of it's biggest weaknesses.

Training mode is finally coming to the console version, so you can go gently caress around with everything or good off anytime. It was a big deal on PC and I've been patiently waiting for them to roll it out on console.

The game has a brutal learning curve, so this it'll make it much easier for people to figure things out and get into the game.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

89 posted:

Battlefield 1 was garbage. Pretty garbage but so boring to play. Hopefully DICE can return to form with BFV, but I'm not hoping for much since they balance by carebear polling reddit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best battlefield game dice could make would be an hd re-release of bc2 with the gameplay untouched (except maybe rebalance the saiga, usas and choppers to not be completely ridiculous)

except ea would poo poo it up and make all the unlocks take a thousand hours unless you buy lootboxes with random guns in them or whatever other dumb bullshit they'd assuredly pull

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember playing Bad Company 1 on the 360 and being completely flabbergasted at the sound design which happened while i was in a machine gun nest in a house that was being shot up by a tank.

I liked BC2 but BC1 was really a sentimental favorite.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

This is stupid. I want a dramatic cutscene to end with a pop up saying "Insert Disc 2"

We have a console for people who want to play games from multiple discs...

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Preloading RDR2 and I work from home tomorrow, so stoked to check it out. Everything I’ve read this morning says it looks astound on X.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember playing Bad Company 1 on the 360 and being completely flabbergasted at the sound design which happened while i was in a machine gun nest in a house that was being shot up by a tank.

A lot of people pretend BC1 never happened because it didn't have a PC version

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Digital Foundry confirms Red Dead Redemption 2 is native 4K / 30fps on Xbox One X.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Digital Foundry confirms Red Dead Redemption 2 is native 4K / 30fps on Xbox One X.

Do they have the option to flip to "high frame mode" like the Tomb Raider games? There's some instances in games (usually when crazy poo poo is going down) that I'll pause and switch to 60fps.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Beastie posted:

Do they have the option to flip to "high frame mode" like the Tomb Raider games? There's some instances in games (usually when crazy poo poo is going down) that I'll pause and switch to 60fps.

Nope.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm thinking of trading up to the One X and it comes with Fallout 76, which I will never play. Would anyone be interested in the key for like $45? Email me at portablezombie at geemail dot com.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Fallout 76 looks bad as hell

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Neat! Good on them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I asked PlayStation to refund my preorder so I could get it on Xbox and they said no because I got preorder bonuses.

God dammit

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just buy it on both platforms. :retrogames:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Fallout 76 looks bad as hell

Bad as in bad, or bad as in good? I'm not a MMO kind of guy, and have no desire to play anything that isn't single player.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Bad as in bad, or bad as in good? I'm not a MMO kind of guy, and have no desire to play anything that isn't single player.

Bad as in everyone here will bitch and moan about how awful it is, which frankly I think it will be, but it will sell roughly 3 hojillion copies.

Singleplayer is a lie in 76 btw.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really enjoyed BC1 despite the slightly crappy controls. I thought the goofy tone of the story and the wise-cracking characters were great. BC2 played it much more serious and I thought it was worse for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Before BFV was announced my buddies and me were hoping for BC2 style game set in the Cold War.