Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

abigserve posted:

based on that graphic there is no concept of arterial roads unless the black lines represent a single long, very oddly shaped street with a lot of right angles

the traditional model is parsable because you can look at it and be like oh there are the main streets, if I want to get from point a to point b with a minimal amount of turns I can take the big streets as far as possible then I only have to remember a small amount of turns right at the end

why the gently caress would there be arterial roads in a tiny condo development. it's only 12 acres of land and right up against the waterfront with water on two sides, so it won't really have through traffic.

for size comparison, a standard manhattan city block is just a bit under 5.5 acres, so this development project won't even be a whole 3 manhattan blocks. so taking an equal size chunk outta manhattan would just be two cross streets and the edges of two avenues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's hard to tell what they have in mind because a few of their "vision" proposals have nothing to do with the little piece of land they're supposed to be planning for, but instead cover some or all of the new portlands development too.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

the rest of the city is a grid, or rather a bunch of grids sort of tacked together over the last 150 years. there's not a lot of reason to go with a layout like that, although as far as i can tell that's not actually a proposed layout for anything, since it doesn't match the land they have.

i assumed they had just created ad hoc roads where the buildings aren't when they shift them around lol

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The night sight camera shots being shared in the iyg android thread are crazy, might be the first good thing google has done in a while.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dodoman posted:

The night sight camera shots being shared in the iyg android thread are crazy, might be the first good thing google has done in a while.

have they used them for creeping purposes yet?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

The Management posted:

have they used them for creeping purposes yet?

wat.

it's not like passers by magically become scantily clad once the sun goes down.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ages ago it was discovered that sony's low-light near ir mode on their handycams had a tendency to show underwear and boobs through clothing, i assume that's what the management is referring to

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ages ago it was discovered that sony's low-light near ir mode on their handycams had a tendency to show underwear and boobs through clothing, i assume that's what the management is referring to

yeah
women's clothes tends to be really thin or slightly sheer and while human eyes can't see through its totally ir and uv permeable, thus why I have to wear sunblock with some of my normal everyday outfits lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

in general creepy dudes will find a way to use a camera that takes pictures where they couldn’t before for creepy purposes

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The Management posted:

in general creepy dudes will find a way to use a camera that takes pictures where they couldn’t before for creepy purposes

good thing this is a phone primarily sold to Android superfans and Google employees, heh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

creepers gonna creep

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

jit bull transpile posted:

why I have to wear sunblock with some of my normal everyday outfits lol

the term is infrared blackface

seriously though I did not know that was a countermeasure people needed or took

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

flakeloaf posted:

also UV blackface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRD-xvlhGMc

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

goddammit I had one job

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

flakeloaf posted:

seriously though I did not know that was a countermeasure people needed or took

to be clear, the sunblock is because I get sunburned through my drat clothes.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I can’t imagine how angry I’d be, to be betrayed by my own clothing like that. drat.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

yeah the sun is bad. best to follow my strategy of staying inside all the time to avoid exposure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm sorry for your ginger rear end

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

in some sense the sunblock is more "clothing" than the fabric covering you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

i'm sorry for your ginger rear end

lol im the palest mullato in the world it's awful. but I'm naturally blond thank God

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
A lot of cheap T-shirt's are so thin that'd you can get seriously burnt in summer if you spend all day outdoor.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1054736190837010433

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lol im the palest mullato in the world it's awful. but I'm naturally blond thank God

you were cool in that lana del rey video

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

YouTube is designed to channel users into content areas where they are likely to view more videos. for many people that means it finds the conspiracy theories that they are most vulnerable to and keeps pushing them deeper. it is literally a machine for breaking people’s brains

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

that makes me feel less awful but no less sad for the folks who need to wear sunscreen under their clothes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

YouTube is designed to channel users into content areas where they are likely to view more videos. for many people that means it finds the conspiracy theories that they are most vulnerable to and keeps pushing them deeper. it is literally a machine for breaking people’s brains

i like (hate) that youtube absolutely made the decision to intentionally funnel your next up and other recommendations toward videos you've already watched too

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I completely stopped looking at the recommendations a couple years back. used to find funny videos that way but no more :(

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lol @ watching utubs not in private mode

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I have basically stumbled through all of the major plot beats of the Sopranos thanks to YouTube’s recommendations

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that’s my yourube recommendation story, thanks for listening

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

I completely stopped looking at the recommendations a couple years back. used to find funny videos that way but no more :(

Every video from a trans person I watch has nothing but chuds, TERFs and anti-SJW videos in the Recommended

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

lol @ watching utubs not in private mode

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

anthonypants posted:

graph posted:

lol @ watching utubs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gynocentric Regime posted:

Every video from a trans person I watch has nothing but chuds, TERFs and anti-SJW videos in the Recommended

idk I'm watching a scanlime vid rn and the reccs are like classic nasa poo poo and concrete construction (went on an Odell complete concrete kick over the weekend)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
inevitably people who complain about getting nazi recs reveal they just watch a few nazi vids a week "to laugh at" or something then get baffled when computers recognize them as "that user who likes to watch Nazis"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"it was just a prank, bro!"

I shout as my YouTube recommended queue, gmail inbox, facebook page, and interstitial ads all fill with furry Fortnite findom fetish feeds

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
did you know? people, like, login to chome with an account (lol) which then logs them again into youtube (lol)

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
price? $5,0000,000,000,000/second

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

graph posted:

did you know? people, like, login to chome with an account (lol)

the lol part is how the internet browser made by an advertising company pretends to not already know who you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/technology/google-sexual-harassment-andy-rubin.html

• Locked thread