Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

OrthoTrot posted:

If anyone is still awake I can write a bit about why after passing the signal the route was set into the path of another train.
Yes please :justpost:

Your posts are imo the best content this thread has had in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yes please :justpost:

Your posts are imo the best content this thread has had in a while

Completely agree, would love to read more.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

spiny posted:

Well, I guess I was on the safer side at the time ...

Did you, like, report it to a fire marshal?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Renegret posted:

This was actually done on the block where I grew up. It was decided that it was easier to install the sewer, raise the street, and give a stipend to the homeowners to remodel their houses, than bury everything they needed.

It lead to a lot of really good history to the neighborhood. All of the houses have a basement that used to be the 1st floor, and my neighbor has a horse stable in his basement. Everyone's back yards are an entire story below the street.

Pretty much all of old Seattle did this, too. The original city was built at sea level, and partly burned down in a massive fire in 1889; when they rebuilt, they regraded the entire downtown core to be two stories higher.

Some of the basements are still accessible, with underground tunnels between buildings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Underground#History

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

This is so stupid, they could have saved a lot of effort by putting just one crate on top of the ladder.

:lol:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm enjoying these. It's a bit terrifying how frequently parts end with "But we don't really know because everyone with first hand information was extremely dead"

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

OrthoTrot posted:

Sorry for the delay for those interested.  I was writing about how driver Michael Hodder managed to pass the supremely dodgy SN109 signal at danger, taking his train into the path of an oncoming HST travelling nearly 100mph at Ladbroke Grove. I wrote about how SN109 was a real hotspot signal, and I think people get why it had been passed so many times after seeing the photos.  The other issue is Hodder himself.

I think I saw a TV documentary about this. Wasn't there also an issue that, at the time of day the sun was from behind the train and it would have been difficult to tell which signal light was lit.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Saukkis posted:

I think I saw a TV documentary about this. Wasn't there also an issue that, at the time of day the sun was from behind the train and it would have been difficult to tell which signal light was lit.

Yep. Also a factor. Something like 8am in October. Low sun is always an issue. He may have disregarded the red as it was not in the usual place and thought the yellow was lit because of the sunlight.

From a rulebook point of view if you can't see an aspect you are required to treat it as a red. But then we come back to him being new. Maybe he'd never had a situation like that before. All his practical training was in the summer.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Yesterday I was walking from the station to the office when I suddenly saw a huge scaffold collapse. I was underneath some cover luckily so I didn't get hit by any debris. I immediately called the emergency services and was kind of just standing there shocked at what I just saw, until the police and the firefighters started to show up five minutes later and I realised there was nothing I could do besides be in the way, so I started to head to the office. Checking the news later I saw that a bricklayer was killed and another one seriously injured. :(

While I was waiting for my train home today, I passed by the site again and I noticed something. At the spot where the scaffold first buckled and collapsed, there are two unfinished columns of bricks, with exposed insulation that look like they were being pulled off the wall. Maybe it's my overactive imagination but I can't help but think that's where the workers were during the incident and they grabbed the insulation in vain before they fell seven stories.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/itbzlay.mp4

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If that were my job, there's a 100% chance I would skewer my thumb on my first day on the job.

And every consecutive day after that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Renegret posted:

If that were my job, there's a 100% chance I would skewer my thumb on my first day on the job.

It's definitely a "nope" thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

OrthoTrot posted:

If anyone is still awake I can write a bit about why after passing the signal the route was set into the path of another train.

Never stop posting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Renegret posted:

Also see nightmares of that every night. That procedure looks :gonk: even without having your sausages in the way of a high speed needle.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I need high speed footage of this so I can be suitably :stonklol:’d

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/adL6RrQ_460svvp9.webm

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Fragrag posted:

Yesterday I was walking from the station to the office when I suddenly saw a huge scaffold collapse. I was underneath some cover luckily so I didn't get hit by any debris. I immediately called the emergency services and was kind of just standing there shocked at what I just saw, until the police and the firefighters started to show up five minutes later and I realised there was nothing I could do besides be in the way, so I started to head to the office. Checking the news later I saw that a bricklayer was killed and another one seriously injured. :(

While I was waiting for my train home today, I passed by the site again and I noticed something. At the spot where the scaffold first buckled and collapsed, there are two unfinished columns of bricks, with exposed insulation that look like they were being pulled off the wall. Maybe it's my overactive imagination but I can't help but think that's where the workers were during the incident and they grabbed the insulation in vain before they fell seven stories.

That's terrifying. I'm glad you weren't injured, at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well I’m not sure if this is actually going to be OSHA in the end but 4 cop cars and cops just pulled up to my work because the larger recycling company we rent a space from for our smaller recycling company just had a dead person tumble out of one of their cardboard drop-offs into their warehouse. Probably another case of someone being in a dumpster (out of all the dumpsters a cardboard one would be the most pleasant I guess?) when the truck came by and compacted :(

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

look on the bright side, maybe it was a murder

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Well I’m not sure if this is actually going to be OSHA in the end but 4 cop cars and cops just pulled up to my work because the larger recycling company we rent a space from for our smaller recycling company just had a dead person tumble out of one of their cardboard drop-offs into their warehouse. Probably another case of someone being in a dumpster (out of all the dumpsters a cardboard one would be the most pleasant I guess?) when the truck came by and compacted :(

he'll never be chairman of the cardboard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He'll never be the corpse of a major corporation

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Are they allowed to use to boat horn in traffic?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

speed 4 lookin weird

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Are they allowed to use to boat horn in traffic?

Is it sailingrolling under a Latverian flag?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MF_James posted:

speed 4 lookin weird

otoh fitzcarraldo 2 is shaping up nicely

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

American RVs are always excessive.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This reminds me of someone in AI who had a big boat and a big caravan

When he’d go on trips he have to make the trip three times: pulling the caravan, unladen, and pulling the boat. And of course he’d have to do the same thing a few days later.

This wasn’t just to the local lake, but for drives that were several hours long each way.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

please play this over a loudspeaker for them (start at 1:15)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Platystemon posted:

This reminds me of someone in AI who had a big boat and a big caravan

When he’d go on trips he have to make the trip three times: pulling the caravan, unladen, and pulling the boat. And of course he’d have to do the same thing a few days later.

This wasn’t just to the local lake, but for drives that were several hours long each way.

You'd think at some point they'd just get a second car.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jesus; Betsy DeVos will do anything to get attention

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Now, this is what I call a shipment.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are two vehicles on the bridge.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Jabor posted:

You'd think at some point they'd just get a second car.

I've been paid to do this by a family member, he paid for my gas and parking to tow his boat with my camper van and I basically got to hang out at the coast for a week while he fished. Good deal for everyone.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SelenicMartian posted:

gently caress
that's pancake city. injuries not compatible with life.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I don’t turn my car off when pumping gas. I like to tell people not to worry it’s an internal combustion engine :smug:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, I see that they rebuilt the Groverpass.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

SelenicMartian posted:

Nah, 1.1 at most.

I also guess the rest of the car is hanging by the squashed trunk, but probably not.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXdkA5sF3w

There doesn't seem to be much room to hang.

One of the reports said "There's one fatality in the car, but we don't know whether it's the driver or a passenger"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh....

Oh dear.

No I think you're right there.