Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I hope the super rich do go to Mars. I want them to experience firsthand what it’s like to live in a place with extreme resource limitations in which capitalism is utterly impossible. A place where there is nowhere to run or hide when things get uncomfortable for them.

Whether everyone lives or dies, at the very least the rich will not have a good time on Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Skeleton King posted:

I hope the super rich do go to Mars. I want them to experience firsthand what it’s like to live in a place with extreme resource limitations in which capitalism is utterly impossible. A place where there is nowhere to run or hide when things get uncomfortable for them.

Whether everyone lives or dies, at the very least the rich will not have a good time on Mars.

*Rich person sees readout showing there's only enough food for a quarter of the colonists to make it to the next supply drop*

*Thinks for a moment, puts on environment suit, opens external hatches, killing everyone else. Reseals and repressurizes outpost, takes off helmet. *

"I did what I had to do to survive, I'm a hero."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I guarantee you if the rich are even slightly uncomfortable on Mars every country on Earth will team up to send a rescue ship to save the poor miserable souls from their own idiocy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

I guarantee you if the rich are even slightly uncomfortable on Mars every country on Earth will team up to send a rescue ship to save the poor miserable souls from their own idiocy.

the cross AMLO-Bernie-Corbyn-Melenchon alliance will be the first to deploy nuclear weapons on the surface of Mars in case of this coming to pass

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

This is exactly why no one is going to go to Mars. No profit to be made there. you can't expect the private sector to care about places where exploitation is pretty much impossible.

NASA got "us" on the Moon in 1969 using a computer thousands of times less powerful than a smartphone. Now they can't even get people in space without Russian help, and the entire private aerospace/defense industry in the US is just a gigantic grifting operation

Elon Musk is a loser; he will not usher humanity into a new age of space colonization.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so at this point is japan the best case scenario for capitalism ? whereas the world is more likely to become like Brazil

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Don Pigeon posted:

This is exactly why no one is going to go to Mars. No profit to be made there. you can't expect the private sector to care about places where exploitation is pretty much impossible.

NASA got "us" on the Moon in 1969 using a computer thousands of times less powerful than a smartphone. Now they can't even get people in space without Russian help, and the entire private aerospace/defense industry in the US is just a gigantic grifting operation

Elon Musk is a loser; he will not usher humanity into a new age of space colonization.

“Without Russian help” is/was a choice made to keep Russian rocket scientists from proliferating technology, knowledge and their abilities. Pay them to put your astronauts in space, which pays their scientists. There is nothing stopping SpaceX from putting some seats into their Dragon capsule and sending people up, with the exception of the bureaucratic red tape and time it takes to get something certified as man rated.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Coldwar timewarp posted:

“Without Russian help” is/was a choice made to keep Russian rocket scientists from proliferating technology, knowledge and their abilities. Pay them to put your astronauts in space, which pays their scientists. There is nothing stopping SpaceX from putting some seats into their Dragon capsule and sending people up, with the exception of the bureaucratic red tape and time it takes to get something certified as man rated.

Somehow Teslas are on the road

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Coldwar timewarp posted:

i don't want spaceX, i want NASA

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Hey, and if SpaceX accidentally blows a hole in the atmosphere again, that's just business. They're really competent, you know - if only they didn't have to deal with all that red tape!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

so at this point is japan the best case scenario for capitalism ? whereas the world is more likely to become like Brazil

nah, they've got hella chuds, a 20-year head start on the internet-enabled alt-right, japanese companies are worldbeating innovators in both permacrunch and abuse of 'contractors', and like western europe it's mainly ticking along on the midcentury near-reset of private property with the added bonus of population decline meaning lots of only children of only children filling the gaps in their wallet with 4x inheritances/2x chip-ins from pensions

actually this kind of is the best case, but drat it's a bad one. only 'bright' spot is that the traditional right is all in on infrastructure as voter bribery so at least you get livable dense cities.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the funny thing is we actually did have a cuisines in america, in fact the industrialization of agriculture and the world wars p much wiped them out

here's a good book on it

the exact same thing happened in england, which they've been trying to reclaim lately with stuff like the great british bake-off
I've read about a British movement for real ale, which could be either really good or a bunch of bourgie twee twits singing "The Village Green Preservation Society" together, depending

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The salaryman thread in GBS made Japan sound pretty hosed.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Azathoth posted:

*Rich person sees readout showing there's only enough food for a quarter of the colonists to make it to the next supply drop*

*Thinks for a moment, puts on environment suit, opens external hatches, killing everyone else. Reseals and repressurizes outpost, takes off helmet. *

"I did what I had to do to survive, I'm a hero."

Well tbf if all the other colonists were rich people it was a heroic act.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coldwar timewarp posted:

RED TAPE!!! :argh:

They're a disorganized company at the whims of musk's dumb ideas and with one of the worst corporate cultures in America and the only reason they appear mostly competent is through very careful control of information and the assistance of the whole "private industry can do it better!!" narrative. They can launch medium-small unmanned payloads to LEO for low costs reasonably successfully if you don't care that much if it explodes but geez does their manned program make me hella nervous.

More on topic for this thread, my favorite instance of that narrative was when that Orbital Sciences Antares exploded a few years ago - news headlines before the launch were "private rocket ready to launch!" and then after it exploded it suddenly became "NASA rocket explodes on the pad!"

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Halloween Jack posted:

I've read about a British movement for real ale, which could be either really good or a bunch of bourgie twee twits singing "The Village Green Preservation Society" together, depending

I assure you it is very much the latter.

With added sexism, a whole bunch of general chuddery, and an average age of 60.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Real ale is what you drink if you don't like beer.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ale is pig beer.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jerry Cotton posted:

Real ale is what you drink if you don't like beer.

Done right it's fantastic, CAMRA just suck.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ale is delish, but for the love of god, remember, it is not drunk warm. Just not chilled. Store it in a cool, dark place like your dry goods and it's perfect.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, store it in a cold, dark place and where you can hopefully forget about it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
People without cellars need not apply.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I work in solid organ transplant, and in all fairness this isn't really a capitalism issue. There's just not enough donors for the staggering amount of people with end stage renal disease. Actually one proposal is to pay donors to increase supply, but that has its own issues of course.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
opt-out instead of opt-in organ donation would make a huge difference all by itself

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

opt-out instead of opt-in organ donation would make a huge difference all by itself

The communists are coming for my kidneys

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

mycomancy posted:

The university I professor at is having a bit of a Grey Crisis in that they can't hire new people at competitive salaries because the money isn't there. Where is the money? It's going into pension funds for professors who are in their 60s and 70s. How much? The university pays 20% (twenty percent) of these prof salarues into a pension for them. Not matched, just 20% extra.

I mean I'm all for taking care of people but that seems a bit excessive, right?

That's a common problem in academia, and it's pretty much entirely administrative bloat and giving themselves raises that's doing it, not the pay or benefits for actual professers or support staff of office workers that are doing it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'd like to know how much goes into gyms, pools, stadiums, etc.

If universities were a little monastic, how much would be saved?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Describe “a little monastic”.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

frogge posted:

That's a common problem in academia, and it's pretty much entirely administrative bloat and giving themselves raises that's doing it, not the pay or benefits for actual professers or support staff of office workers that are doing it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mars isn't for the rich. Mars sucks...there aint poo poo there, there's no Broadway theater, no cocaine, no heated swimming pools. Mars is for us, when the super rich send a billion poors off to Mars to mine for resources they'll stave off climate change for a few decades and buy themselves some more time on earth.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah it's nuts.
In my state every public college/university employee's wage is public record so just file a FOIA request, wait for it to get processed, and bam you know how much of your tax dollars go to adjuncts, tenured professors, office drones, and administrators. That's not even going into how the adjunct system is abused by administrations all over.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dreddout posted:

The communists are coming for my kidneys

i'd gladly give up the one that makes my stones

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Platystemon posted:

Describe “a little monastic”.

Not sure. I'd like to see a workup for 'classrooms and dorms.' Establish a range between, "zero fluff," and, "current fluff."

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

'Organs for organ doners' would be a good first step.

"Hmm, let's see. Well sir it looks like you're not an organ doner so you go to the back of the waiting list. What do you mean 'that's not fair?'"

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lznQh9NRqhQ

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

frogge posted:

Yeah it's nuts.
In my state every public college/university employee's wage is public record so just file a FOIA request, wait for it to get processed, and bam you know how much of your tax dollars go to adjuncts, tenured professors, office drones, and administrators. That's not even going into how the adjunct system is abused by administrations all over.

I work at a university and the marketing people send out messages and they spent like a hundred thousands dollars in Instagram and Facebook ads and got a tiny amount of clickthroughs, like they spent more than 500 dollars per clickthrough.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

frogge posted:

Pretty much. As a petty bureaucrat who helps run a department, I typically assist with 20-30 grant applications a year, handle scheduling for the department, maintain several databases for funding streams and academic progress, create and submit expense reports, and do a bunch of other random poo poo that ensures everything works smoothly for the actual educators. I’ve automated a ton of stuff that used to be done via paper forms and documented processes to ensure that all that poo poo isn’t lost. Admin, however, refuses to accept the reality of basic arithmetic and somehow cannot grasp that you can update secure websites with up-to-date forms, preferring to e-mail or fax the blank forms.

I would understand if all this somehow benefited students, but it screws them over and creates labyrinths of paperwork which frequently gets lost with zero communication. Reduce administrative bloat, focus on education, and actually train bureaucrats to be efficient and helpful, because we’re here to help people do stuff in a way that can be tracked, validated, and correctly done.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Piell posted:

I work at a university and the marketing people send out messages and they spent like a hundred thousands dollars in Instagram and Facebook ads and got a tiny amount of clickthroughs, like they spent more than 500 dollars per clickthrough.

they had a budget to spend and didnt want it reduced the next year

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

they had a budget to spend and didnt want it reduced the next year

I hate how this is a real thing. Its so backasswards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Outrail posted:

'Organs for organ doners' would be a good first step.

"Hmm, let's see. Well sir it looks like you're not an organ doner so you go to the back of the waiting list. What do you mean 'that's not fair?'"

turning people’s abdomens into “take a penny, leave a penny” dishes