Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what mod in gregblock keeps spawning ghost jesuses? it's really stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what mod in gregblock keeps spawning ghost jesuses? it's really stupid

it's the corail tombstone mod, and you go into the mod options ingame, the client section, and disable the halloween thing

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Whalley posted:

Mekanism's glow blocks, Actually Additions lamps, glowstone painted in EnderIO, firing Astral Sorcery illumination globs at blocks

Any others? I think what I really wanted where the old Extra Utilities lamp block or whatever. The glow blocks are very dim and I don't think I can get the painted glowstone unless I manufacture it, but I'm trying to build out a large tutorial area in creative mode, so I don't want to far with it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

it's the corail tombstone mod, and you go into the mod options ingame, the client section, and disable the halloween thing

Oh God dammit, this is going to be a thing, isn't it?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Why do people put Evolved Endermen in modpacks? The only vaguely interesting thing is that you can get a friendermen, but everything else about the mod just makes it not worth it. I wish Stoneblock would stop reinstalling it every time I update it.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Is Advanced Rocketry known to be buggy? I launched a space station yesterday and lost both the station and rocket, and was left floating in empty space with no way back to the overworld.

Of course, I forgot about journeymap teleports, so I /killed myself to get back to overworld and lost all my stuff.

Thankfully, Adv. Rocketry has a command to replace lost station ID cards, but holy heck what an ordeal.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
In case you haven't been using the automated miners in GTNH for some reason, do so! I started with one basic miner to try it out, and am now running 4 Good Miners (MV tier) with an MV combustion gen feeding each, and they're basically lite Mekanism digital miners. They use Teleport Hacks to mine every ore in their radius as they make their way down to bedrock, and then mine the pipe and leave it in whatever storage, ready for the next area. I've just been putting an Iron Chest atop each.

Never thought a Gregtech miner could be this good, but they really are.

e. of course, this does have the downside of leaving lots of dark pockets for mobs to spawn, but it's not really a big deal. I keep forgetting that the key to 'winning' GTNH is automate early, automate often, automate everything. If I automate the mining, then I can expand my base while my resource stockpiles grow.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 22, 2018

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
I've been poking at making a weird little (thematically nonsensical) pack recently, and hit a weird point: is there a low tech or magic way to capture mobs (passive or otherwise) for transporting them long distances?

Most of my familiarity with methods like this are 'tech' based, like IF/MFR, or TE. The golden lasso is the closest, but so far I've avoided installing many of the misc-junk mods that provide stuff like that.

Not that I have anything against them, there's plenty of fun stuff amidst ExU or whatnot, I'm just seeing how far I can get with constructing this pack before I start falling back to the stuff I inevitably see in everypack/put in my own sessions. This is the first time in a long time I've been playing anything that lacked TiCon/Pam's/ImmersiveEngineering, etc. It's odd.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fayk posted:

I've been poking at making a weird little (thematically nonsensical) pack recently, and hit a weird point: is there a low tech or magic way to capture mobs (passive or otherwise) for transporting them long distances?

Most of my familiarity with methods like this are 'tech' based, like IF/MFR, or TE. The golden lasso is the closest, but so far I've avoided installing many of the misc-junk mods that provide stuff like that.

Not that I have anything against them, there's plenty of fun stuff amidst ExU or whatnot, I'm just seeing how far I can get with constructing this pack before I start falling back to the stuff I inevitably see in everypack/put in my own sessions. This is the first time in a long time I've been playing anything that lacked TiCon/Pam's/ImmersiveEngineering, etc. It's odd.

The lowest tech one is Carry On, which lets you pick up passive mobs by just shift-right-clicking them with your bare hands. Of course, you can only carry one at a time, and you can't do anything else other than put the mob down.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The lowest tech one is Carry On, which lets you pick up passive mobs by just shift-right-clicking them with your bare hands. Of course, you can only carry one at a time, and you can't do anything else other than put the mob down.

Yeah, that'd work. I had never run into that until recently poking at Sevtech Ages before getting annoyed at some of the specifics of that. Thanks!

The one random grabbag mod I've got in this batch so far is Random Things which has a (RNG to find) pendulum item that can also do this. Also limited to passives.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fayk posted:

Yeah, that'd work. I had never run into that until recently poking at Sevtech Ages before getting annoyed at some of the specifics of that. Thanks!

The one random grabbag mod I've got in this batch so far is Random Things which has a (RNG to find) pendulum item that can also do this. Also limited to passives.

Sevtech Ages lets you slowly carry animals just by shift-right-clicking (or just right clicking?) with an open hand.

The Roost/Chicken mod in Stoneblock has Animal Nets that act just like golden lassos, but only cost 2 sticks and 3 string. I'm playing in an overworld because I got frustrated with constant tunneling to get more room for my base, and having fun playing with chickens and fluid cows that weren't disabled.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fayk posted:

Some things you can do to help with that are to lower the range at which Carry On triggers to knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth range, or introduce a different keybind to hold (like Ctrl or something) to trigger the behavior.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Some things you can do to help with that are to lower the range at which Carry On triggers to knife-fight-in-a-phone-booth range, or introduce a different keybind to hold (like Ctrl or something) to trigger the behavior.

Sorry, I meant getting annoyed at Sevtech, not at Carry-On, which seemed mostly fine. Thanks all for that reminder/suggestion.

As far as tunneling in Stoneblock, yeah for some reason that got on my nerves too. I eventually quarried out a space - comically over-large and in the time it took do do the shape I wanted, lost interest in that pack.

I found tunneling with carefully thrown explosives from TiCon (cheaper than the default recipe, even!) kinda fun, but I imagine anyone who likes really precise room dimensions would hate it.

I didn't even notice that chickens had a net, good to know.

I find myself wanting some kind of mild resource-gathering automation over time mod, but nothing as broken as magical crops, chickens, or bees. (Which all involve varying degrees of one mechanic repeated infinitely and then a ridiculous amount of resources).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

just be careful tunneling in stoneblock, there's no bedrock in the overworld :shepface:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

just be careful tunneling in stoneblock, there's no bedrock in the overworld :shepface:

Of course not bedrock isnt stone :colbert:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

There is sky up there though!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
One interesting aspect of Stoneblock is how it really makes you look hard at the best ways of just removing a fuckton of stone. TE fluxbores are the most flexible, but im considering actually building a terra shatterer from botania for comparison. Or just the biggest ticon hammer I can make with explosives strapped to it.

Any reccemondations for flight? Mystical agriculture has a very expensive armor set, but I just need something to let me mine out the ceiling.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

One interesting aspect of Stoneblock is how it really makes you look hard at the best ways of just removing a fuckton of stone. TE fluxbores are the most flexible, but im considering actually building a terra shatterer from botania for comparison. Or just the biggest ticon hammer I can make with explosives strapped to it.

Any reccemondations for flight? Mystical agriculture has a very expensive armor set, but I just need something to let me mine out the ceiling.

Super early game you can make a hammer from like 5 iron and 2 sticks that mines in a 3x3 square, they don't last amazingly long but they do shift some stone out and make building corridors super easy.

Flight wise it's the usual, poo poo tier jetpacks until you scale up enough for either Swiftwolf's Rending Gale or the Angel Ring, not sure how hard the ring is as I loving hate Grid Power so I avoid most of extra utils.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

AceClown posted:

Flight wise it's the usual, poo poo tier jetpacks until you scale up enough for either Swiftwolf's Rending Gale or the Angel Ring, not sure how hard the ring is as I loving hate Grid Power so I avoid most of extra utils.

Step 1: Cheat in a Dragon Egg Mill and Dragon Egg
Step 2: Place the Mill, place egg on top
Step 3: Use GP devices with your shiny new 500 GP

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

AceClown posted:

Super early game you can make a hammer from like 5 iron and 2 sticks that mines in a 3x3 square, they don't last amazingly long but they do shift some stone out and make building corridors super easy.

For flight I used the air charm from a loot bag which was kept repaired by a repair tablet until I got an angel ring. The ring isn't very hard, I think the worst part was waiting for a squid to spawn.
Then I realized the tiny progression dragon armor was super easy to make with a couple dragon respawns and made that instead.

I don't mind extra utils though, I always make water mills as soon as possible so I can use an EU mechanical user to speed level my tinker tools for unbreakable.

Other than chickens and the laser drill are there any source for the dark gems from evilcraft?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Nonsense amounts of grid power are really easy to produce passively with water mills.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

Nonsense amounts of grid power are really easy to produce passively with water mills.

They actually nerfed this a little -- you can only generate up to 64 GP with water mills, then there are diminishing returns. Granted, most people only need the 50 or so for the angel ring, then they shelve XU2 forever.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They actually nerfed this a little -- you can only generate up to 64 GP with water mills, then there are diminishing returns. Granted, most people only need the 50 or so for the angel ring, then they shelve XU2 forever.

They also buffed the other mills (fire and lava, at least) so that they give similar GP.

As for clearing out rooms in Stoneblock, I'd go with an Actually Additions drill with the three speed tiers, the 3x3 and the 5x5 upgrades. Don't need to worry about fortune or silktouch, ever, so it's an easy choice.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
What mods have some possibly-overlooked stuff that would even be useful before, say, getting iron? Or copper for that matter. I was thinking about quality-of-life and survival stuff worth just poking at for things that can be done at most from stones underground and otherwise relied on the surface for a lot of its stuff.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What mods have some possibly-overlooked stuff that would even be useful before, say, getting iron? Or copper for that matter. I was thinking about quality-of-life and survival stuff worth just poking at for things that can be done at most from stones underground and otherwise relied on the surface for a lot of its stuff.

sevtech's age 0 is made out of stuff like that; the biggest one i can think of offhand is totemic which has a bunch of stuff that mostly uses wood and animals

kinda racist tho

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

actually additions has tons of this sort of stuff, like rice, flax, portable crafting table, tiny coal, trees underground, and so on

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Tinker's Construct adds a bit to the pre-iron game - flint tools, drying racks, slime boots and slimesling come to mind.

Ceramics lets you make a bunch of stuff out of clay instead of iron.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Tinker's Construct adds a bit to the pre-iron game - flint tools, drying racks, slime boots and slimesling come to mind.

Ceramics lets you make a bunch of stuff out of clay instead of iron.

Between the slimesling and shields, I don't really see a reason for longswords any more. That was my way of getting into tougher areas beforehand and it was indispensable. Now it means taking up right-click.

Regarding ceramics, I remember when first thinking of this idea, "Great! I can use that to make a bucket and fuel the smeltery so I can cast some metal stuff... oh wait that's not the point!" That mod to me has always been "buckets and some other stuff blablabla," but I see the porcelain channels now. Have you tried them?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

actually additions has tons of this sort of stuff, like rice, flax, portable crafting table, tiny coal, trees underground, and so on

Yeah ditto on the portable crafting table. I think flax is indeed the best yield for string of the typical fiber crops. I haven't looked at its manual in awhile to know about the other stuff.

President Ark posted:

sevtech's age 0 is made out of stuff like that; the biggest one i can think of offhand is totemic which has a bunch of stuff that mostly uses wood and animals

kinda racist tho
Does sevtech play well with others? I get the impression that putting that in a pack basically makes it a sevtech modpack.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

In what kind of world do you get iron before slime? If it weren't for oredict alternatives or duplication in most modpacks slime would be the most rarest of materials

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does sevtech play well with others? I get the impression that putting that in a pack basically makes it a sevtech modpack.

It does not, but playing through it might give you some ideas on stuff to add, if you felt like spending a bunch of time on the task.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Taffer posted:

In what kind of world do you get iron before slime? If it weren't for oredict alternatives or duplication in most modpacks slime would be the most rarest of materials

You nerdpole to a slime island, get a bunch from slimes falling off of one, or hang around a swamp.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

In enigmatica 2 skyblock ive hit the same hurdle as mentioned above. I need greatwood planks, but the tree just isnt growing.

Im on y =85 so not that high up

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't know what mod adds it, but Stoneblock comes with a edible crafting table. Once you eat it you can access it whenever you want from a button in your menu. Its pretty handy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Meskhenet posted:

In enigmatica 2 skyblock ive hit the same hurdle as mentioned above. I need greatwood planks, but the tree just isnt growing.

Im on y =85 so not that high up

Some notes about it I saw on reddit:

quote:

I had a hoe of growth, and the great wood still didn't grow for me, even in a 2x2 of saplings.

Turned out that it needed an empty 3x3 area around the sapling, that includes other saplings

It will NOT grow if it is in a 2x2 fashion. My hoe of growth works with one sapling.

So I would try: make a 3x3 of dirt, put ONLY ONE sapling in the center. Some of the problems seem like not allowing for the 1-sapling to become a 2x2 "big tree" that checks for room before it grows

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
...why would you put down a 2x2? Greatwoods have never worked that way. It's weird that the saplings block trees but still.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Because spruce and jungle and dark oak trees all work in 2x2? Maybe greatwoods have always worked like that but it runs counter to how vanilla Minecraft 2x2 trees are planted.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Thaumcraft greatwoods were a thing before vanilla had 2x2 trees, iirc.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thaumcraft greatwoods were a thing before vanilla had 2x2 trees, iirc.

That's not really relevant to anyone who started playing with Thaumcraft after the 2x2 trees were added, or even someone who doesn't specifically note that completely undocumented restriction on greatwood saplings.

Not everyone is playing their 30th modpack with Thaumcraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

That's not really relevant to anyone who started playing with Thaumcraft after the 2x2 trees were added, or even someone who doesn't specifically note that completely undocumented restriction on greatwood saplings.

Not everyone is playing their 30th modpack with Thaumcraft.

But it does explain why it is why it is. Just like one isn't expected to have played Thaumcraft since 1.2.5, a mod developer isn't beholden to tediously examine every major minecraft version's changelog, find the little thing that changed, and reshape his mod to match.

But, hey, if it's that important, go find a feature request whoosit for Thaumcraft and ask the dude to fix it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

McFrugal posted:

...why would you put down a 2x2? Greatwoods have never worked that way. It's weird that the saplings block trees but still.

Man, my point was that this post had a "how dare you not know" vibe when it's something that runs counter to the logic a player inherits from vanilla Minecraft.

Obviously it doesn't loving matter but at the very least maybe the greatwood page in the thaumonomicon could point out that a single sapling needs clear space around it because that is also not how regular saplings grow. You inevitably run into issues like above where a player does what feels like it should work, but it doesn't and the player ends up confused and frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Man, my point was that this post had a "how dare you not know" vibe when it's something that runs counter to the logic a player inherits from vanilla Minecraft.

Obviously it doesn't loving matter but at the very least maybe the greatwood page in the thaumonomicon could point out that a single sapling needs clear space around it because that is also not how regular saplings grow. You inevitably run into issues like above where a player does what feels like it should work, but it doesn't and the player ends up confused and frustrated.

This is modded minecraft, the wiki is only going to give you a portion of the information. Lots of times its out of date. If you really want to know how the mods work you have to watch Lets plays and mod review videos.