Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

cho vs urgot owns. abuse that giant hitbox and max q he will hate laning the same way other champions hate laning against urgot. i havent tried him vs other champions because only urgot makes me want to counter pick.

does anyone know a champion that is good enough vs heimer that its worth learning just for that reason???

nunu used to be my favourite. syndra is fun too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yasuo is really good at knocking down turrets and being mobile enough to dodge grenades, Sion can just kick the turrets 1000+ units away from where they do any good, Syndra can pick them up and harass with them, Nunu can eat them. Heimer is helpless if his grenade is down and his stopwatch/zhonyas isn't available yet, so all-inning early lane with an assassin like Zed or Katarina is effective too.

If I had to pick just one to recommend specifically for beating Heimer it would be Nunu because the huge amount of healing and minion damage you get really covers a lot of sloppy play while you're picking him up (them up. whatever).

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

yeah int sion broken

even against some of the hardest counters to the strat (darius and TF) I was still able to take inhibs down 1v5 while my team was free to do whatever the gently caress they wanted

I started this game off TERRIBLY (0/7 before first turret) and really had no business being allowed to take turrets while ignoring 3-5 people, but alas, the strat still worked

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Sounds like your team carried your nearly-infinitely heavy rear end, dude

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

mistaya posted:

How are you building her? I used to play a lot of sup Zyra in previous seasons and this intrigues me.

TLD with sorc sub for manaflow/10% cdr, pick/pink start on blue to run straight to enemy red unless they have a manaless jg, pick/2pot on purple, eqw q max, always be pressuring with QW after 3 for good lane damage and ss around 9-11 minutes

t2 pick first back and stop there until fullbuild, offensive first item, usually rylai's unless the big threat is tanky (mask) or backed with heals (morello's) first, whichever big defensive item counters their most threatening squishy as soon as they come online, fill in the rest from the usual suspects based on game flow. hunt for chances to assassinate assasins if you get fed or combo them at max range to force a back if not, in teamfights try to 1 for 1 the threat while also providing 1k aoe dmg plus cc on everyone else.

also remember that by around 25, especially with rylai's and two impossible-to-miss slows, you're a safe and effective 1 in a 1-3-1 and can solo drakes decently fast due to plant tanking. i've been on a lot of teams this season where someone goes hard when we're in a 1-4, we lose, and top/mid can't defend; not having you along as a dog champ makes the other 3 a lot more cautious, and you can usually save base with the other splitter too. but of course don't be the 1 in 1-4 outside of warding trips or mapwide pressure after a won fight.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 25, 2018

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

d0grent posted:

yeah int sion broken

even against some of the hardest counters to the strat (darius and TF) I was still able to take inhibs down 1v5 while my team was free to do whatever the gently caress they wanted

I started this game off TERRIBLY (0/7 before first turret) and really had no business being allowed to take turrets while ignoring 3-5 people, but alas, the strat still worked

basically you just get the tower breaking rune and push with titanic, right?

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I wanted to see zztop portal come back but not like this

Not like this

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah you end up just ulting down lanes to get to turrets before anyone can defend them, and keep attacking the turrets until killed, then after you're killed, and you make use of your Zzrot to make sure the lanes are always pushing. I've beaten it before but it requires heavy CC chains and it has to be stuns or knockups specifically too.

Also I did it! :toot: With a couple weeks to spare this time, phew. Braum got me all the way from Silver 5 to Silver 1 but the nerf hurt a lot. Morgana took me over the finish line.

It feels kinda weird to be proud of this when I actually managed to snag Plat in S5 but I didn't play much at all in S6 and S7 I couldn't get out of Silver for some reason. Feels like the playerbase as a whole has leveled up a lot. Or I could just be terrible.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

mistaya posted:

Yeah you end up just ulting down lanes to get to turrets before anyone can defend them, and keep attacking the turrets until killed, then after you're killed, and you make use of your Zzrot to make sure the lanes are always pushing. I've beaten it before but it requires heavy CC chains and it has to be stuns or knockups specifically too.

Also I did it! :toot: With a couple weeks to spare this time, phew. Braum got me all the way from Silver 5 to Silver 1 but the nerf hurt a lot. Morgana took me over the finish line.

It feels kinda weird to be proud of this when I actually managed to snag Plat in S5 but I didn't play much at all in S6 and S7 I couldn't get out of Silver for some reason. Feels like the playerbase as a whole has leveled up a lot. Or I could just be terrible.

the average level of play gets better every year. good job!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

mistaya posted:

Feels like the playerbase as a whole has leveled up a lot. Or I could just be terrible.

This is probably just your "casual game"

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I feel you friend I’m the same way. When you see people in silver busting out really good Lee Sin plays you know you’re getting old.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

I feel you friend I’m the same way. When you see people in silver busting out really good Lee Sin plays you know you’re getting old.

lots of silver guys know how to do hella cool poo poo but fundamentally fail to rotate properly or things of that sort

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Sounds like your team carried your nearly-infinitely heavy rear end, dude

actually everyone on my team was doing poorly until they started sending 2-3 topside to stop me and my team could get picks or their own towers on the other side of the map.

ekko did use his eventual lead very well though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pog boyfriend posted:

lots of silver guys know how to do hella cool poo poo but fundamentally fail to rotate properly or things of that sort

He's right in the general sense, though. Even abstract concepts like lane priority and their implications have trickled into solo queue.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They didn’t used to, games getting old just like me.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

kingcobweb posted:

He's right in the general sense, though. Even abstract concepts like lane priority and their implications have trickled into solo queue.
Mostly as buzzwords to direct blame rather than strategy to be applied, but still. At least they're aware of them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

misguided rage posted:

Mostly as buzzwords to direct blame rather than strategy to be applied, but still. At least they're aware of them.

One of the funniest things is players applying MonteCristo-level analysis to the intricacies of the game as soon as they go 0/3/0 in lane by repeatedly walking into melee range of Riven

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I don't usually recommend "just play [champ]" instead of telling people to play better in general, but whatever, it's almost the end of the season and people want to hit gold

Queue as support, pick Brand into every matchup. Here's your guide: put your cursor under the opposing ADC when your minion is about to die and they go to last hit it, press W. Repeat as necessary. When people are near you and you're at least level six, press R.

If you're gold or below and roughly know how support works as a role, you can practice Brand maybe ~10 games in norms before taking him into ranked and lead your team in damage 80% of the time.

Buy sorc boots before any real items; everything else doesn't matter too much.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I will counter with "he's a really common ban or was the last few weeks when I was climbing." So YMMV on that.

Laning with Support Brand is super easy but after lane phase he's kind of hard to make work, at least in my experience. His CC is unreliable compared to like a Morg or Zyra, the only thing he really brings is damage and if you end up behind or the enemy team has counters for your ulti you're pretty useless.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Even if you completely, 100% miss Q every time, just pressing W and farting out an R in a teamfight will usually obliterate everyone if you're on an average item curve. You don't really pick Brand for his personal protection or lockdown; you pick him because he's an rear end in a top hat in laning phase and can exploit the lower MMR tendency to tunnel vision and clump beautifully.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vermain posted:

Even if you completely, 100% miss Q every time, just pressing W and farting out an R in a teamfight will usually obliterate everyone if you're on an average item curve. You don't really pick Brand for his personal protection or lockdown; you pick him because he's an rear end in a top hat in laning phase and can exploit the lower MMR tendency to tunnel vision and clump beautifully.
Exactly. Also, he's not like a normal damage carry who desperately needs items or he does nothing; he's a support for a reason. His base damages are ridiculous.

Playing him last night, there were times where I'd get engaged on in a teamfight (because folks i'm Not Very Good) and all I had time to do was R and hourglass. It would end up doing more damage than just about anyone in the fight.

Stats on his win rate by division back me up; he's the highest winrate champ in bronze/silver. Can't miss R = good in low MMR

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I've found playing Brand that the tunnel vision hurts more often than not; if you get anywhere early there will be 5 dudes ready to blow everything to unload on you, followed by your team hesitating at the hard engage and then falling back from the "4v5" even with that fireball bouncing. He's also not as safe at zoning enemy lanes off farm unless/until he's blowing them up in a single rotation, which has its own problems when you get the usual Silver "100 at 25 and rushing lifesteal to feel safe" ADCs being completely irrelevant rather than forcefed at least an IE or Stormrazor.

But, I'm also p. bad at landing his stun combo under pressure.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
My experience playing with brand supports is that it becomes your job to pick Nunu, roll towards botlane, then for some reason nerds burn flashes. Then do the same thing 45s later. The second time through Brand magically acquires double kills and then you can take dragon. it's like a special formula where if a brand exists on your team you just pick literally anybody with moderately low cooldown CC and feed and water your botlane and wins appear.

This is my only knowledge of how brand works.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's beautiful how Brand's R just murders everything.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

kingcobweb posted:

Stats on his win rate by division back me up; he's the highest winrate champ in bronze/silver. Can't miss R = good in low MMR

ie why I play malzahar

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

ie why I play malzahar

please wear protection

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Low ranked players also have a tendency to itemize like total garbage or just not pick any tanks in the first place. Brand demolishes teams that are entirely built from squishy champions with no resistance items. Picking Brand into an enemy bronze team is basically cheating.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
killed the enemy riven top with kled then got a solo double kill on the brand and warwick that came after me. what a rush, kled is my spirit animal

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Ready to watch me feed my rear end off after claiming Brand is easy?? Well guess what, I'm streamin it

https://www.twitch.tv/kingcobweb

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
how do i stop running at the enemy team after ive won lane? i am addicted to feeding.

atleast ive overcome my dunnning kruger. or im better at keeping it in check and im very aware of it atleast

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Another good thing about Sion that I failed to mention yesterday: this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd7xXkQ8Zb0

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mandoric posted:

I've found playing Brand that the tunnel vision hurts more often than not; if you get anywhere early there will be 5 dudes ready to blow everything to unload on you, followed by your team hesitating at the hard engage and then falling back from the "4v5" even with that fireball bouncing. He's also not as safe at zoning enemy lanes off farm unless/until he's blowing them up in a single rotation, which has its own problems when you get the usual Silver "100 at 25 and rushing lifesteal to feel safe" ADCs being completely irrelevant rather than forcefed at least an IE or Stormrazor.

But, I'm also p. bad at landing his stun combo under pressure.

this is very true and actually why brand is a great character. he uses both point target and direction target abilities, making him great at teaching movement prediction, and because his defense is also his offense, he punishes positioning mistakes very hard. on the flip side, because predicting all abilities does absurd damage, you are immediately rewarded for landing his stuff, and with perfect positioning you can melt the entire enemy team with one well placed W-R. on a more meta level, though, brand also teaches the value of timing windows, as the difference between brand with abilities up and brand with no abilities available is night and day.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Another underrated aspect to Brand in Silver is that even if the enemy botlane learns after getting chunked and lets the wave push in, their jungler is likely to show up because pushed lane = gank, and when he does you can just turn on him and gently caress him up with your combo instead of running like Silver players do instinctually. If your ADC is paying half-attention it's usually an easy kill and will make one or more of the players on the enemy team tilt immediately

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The only ranked game I played this season was against a Brand. It didn't cause me any troubles, I was playing Alistar but I usually main mage/AP supports so I knew when to go in and when to pull back but my ADC Ashe was attracted to Brand W like she was a moth tryna find a lamp. According to OP.GG I was in a game with Gold and Plat players so you can ride that Brand train for a while.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Real talk they should remove the Demolish and Sterak’s interaction after Sion dies, it’s broken as hell and extremely unfun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you're laning against a Brand just pick a scaling ADC and wait, even if you tank hard in lane they'll inevitably end up taking farm away from their ADC while trying to poke and make both them and their ADC completely toothless in the mid game. Also tilt off the planet because they've been told Brand is freeLO and its totally their team's fault that they're not winning.

And they'll inevitably sell their Remnant after leaving lane.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
You can also just pick Leona and kill them every time they show up to lane from level 2 onwards

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
you can also just play rammus in that elo

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Best Online Technical, etc

quote:

We’ve seen Yorick’s winrate drop dramatically in 8.21 off no major gameplay changes. In cases like this that often means a newly introduced pretty impactful bug. That seems particularly likely given we rescripted some of how Yorick’s ult works behind the scenes this patch to fix some other issues, so something unintended could have occured during that work. Looking into what’s going on there right now it seems like there’s probably a bug with his ghoul’s damage in some circumstances. Aiming to get that hotfixed as soon as possible, though not quite sure at time of writing when that will be. Might be done already by the time this is posted, if not hopefully later today.

Edit since time of writing: Got hotfixed yesterday afternoon. Was an issue where summoning the Maiden would reset his ghouls's to their level 1 values instead of being properly based off Yorick's level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
just remove the champion. game sucks when hes good