Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

google does evil? dont believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
wholly unsurprising

quote:

In 2013, Richard DeVaul, a director at Google X, the companys research and development arm, interviewed Star Simpson, a hardware engineer. During the job interview, she said he told her that he and his wife were polyamorous, a word often used to describe an open marriage. She said he invited her to Burning Man, an annual festival in the Nevada desert, the following week.

Ms. Simpson went with her mother and said she thought it was an opportunity to talk to Mr. DeVaul about the job. She said she brought conservative clothes suitable for a professional meeting.

At Mr. DeVauls encampment, Ms. Simpson said, he asked her to remove her shirt and offered a back rub. She said she refused. When he insisted, she said she relented to a neck rub.

I didnt have enough spine or backbone to shut that down as a 24-year-old, said Ms. Simpson, now 30.

A few weeks later, Google told her she did not get the job, without explaining why.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

wholly unsurprising
the article includes a picture of that guy lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

anthonypants posted:

wholly unsurprising

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

anthonypants posted:

fine plumage on that bloatee

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

kevin smith's fourth place entry in a david suzuki lookalike contest

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anthonypants posted:

"anime was a mistake"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that old "how do you know someone is vegan/does crossfit/eats paleo? dont worry, they'll tell you" joke is factually true for like 99% of nonmonogamous people

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wholly unsurprising

i'm the person who takes her mom to burning man and wears office clothes there

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

naive young person trying desperately to believe that they haven't fallen into a pit of creepy weirdos

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pham Nuwen posted:

i am genuinely impressed by anyone who would do that. thats probably the most subversive thing that happened at the festival that year.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

naive young person trying desperately to believe that they haven't fallen into a pit of creepy weirdos

if she wandered around much she might have literally fallen into a literal pit... being burning man i assume the pit would be full of people trading blowjobs for acid and calling it art.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

flakeloaf posted:

the lol part is how the internet browser made by an advertising company pretends to not already know who you are

I only use chrome for one thing (google meet/hangouts) so Im not familiar with it very well

is there a way to turn off the tracking or is it just full on data mining your entire web surfing?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

that old "how do you know someone is vegan/does crossfit/eats paleo? dont worry, they'll tell you" joke is factually true for like 99% of nonmonogamous people

theyll make an e/n thread about it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

"let me tell you about my relationship, wait why are you falling asleep? no see my relationship is different"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

anthonypants posted:

:captainpop:

holy poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

"let me tell you about my relationship, wait why are you falling asleep? no see my relationship is different"

*shows u polycule*

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

quote:

She said he invited her to Burning Man,
She said she brought conservative clothes suitable for a professional meeting.
A few weeks later, Google told her she did not get the job, without explaining why.

You couldn't really rule out that she was just unable to use Google Search.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol sundars doing damage control

email sent to all employees posted:

Hi everyone,

Today's story in The New York Times was difficult to read.

We are dead serious about making sure we provide a safe and inclusive workplace. We want to assure you that we review every single complaint about sexual harassment or inappropriate conduct, we investigate, and we take action.

In recent years, we've made a number of changes, including taking an increasingly hard line on inappropriate conduct by people in positions of authority: in the last two years, 48 people have been terminated for sexual harassment, including 13 who were senior managers and above. None of these individuals received an exit package.

In 2015, we launched Respect@ and our annual Internal Investigations Report to provide transparency about these types of investigations at Google. Because we know that reporting harassment can be traumatic, we provide confidential channels to share any inappropriate behavior you experience or see. We support and respect those who have spoken out. You can find many ways to do this at go/saysomething. You can make a report anonymously if you wish.

We've also updated our policy to require all VPs and SVPs to disclose any relationship with a co-worker regardless of reporting line or presence of conflict.

We are committed to ensuring that Google is a workplace where you can feel safe to do your best work and where there are serious consequences for anyone who behaves inappropriately.

Sundar and Eileen
"Today's story in The New York Times was difficult to read"...because we spent quite a lot of money and time trying to make sure all those facts stayed hidden and obscure

"in the last two years, 48 people have been terminated for sexual harassment, including 13 who were senior managers and above. None of these individuals received an exit package." this is an impressively meaningless claim - none of the people in the article were terminated for sexual harassment

what a load of crap

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my impression is that sundar is an actual adult whereas the Larry, Sergei, Eric, and Andy show was all intern groping and sex dungeons

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

previously Eric was supposed to be the "adult in the room" keeping Larry and Sergei on task

USSAr
Sep 16, 2007

Your a Commie
imagine working for google and realizing your company basically has access to all of your nudes

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

USSAr posted:

imagine working for google and realizing your company basically has access to all of your nudes

i store mine on icloud

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

USSAr posted:

security through obscurity m8

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

akadajet posted:

i store mine on icloud

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/apple-confirms-it-uses-google-cloud-for-icloud.html

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol at making any record of being shamefully naked

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

iCloud data is end to end encrypted. Apple doesnt see your data and neither can their cloud storage vendors. Apple could hack it, but the storage vendors cannot.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

the people running the waterfront toronto board, because reasons. do not ask what those reasons are. also ignore the fact that we just ousted the ceo over issues of transparency relating to this deal

i've been mocking this poo poo since day one, for exactly the reason you mentioned. their rfp is nearly 200 pages of blue-sky bullshit and part of their proposal assumed they'd be allowed to bypass the permit and approvals process and just build whatever because the red tape is too restrictive for innovators

So like that episode of Parks and Rec where fake google gives the city free wifi?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

iCloud data is end to end encrypted. Apple doesnt see your data and neither can their cloud storage vendors. Apple could hack it, but the storage vendors cannot.

No it isn't, you can view all your iCloud stuff on icloud.com.

They've been making noises about end-to-end encrypting your photo library, but AFAIK they haven't done anything about that yet.

The only thing that's end-to-end encrypted is your iCloud Keychain.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

quote:

iCloud stores a users contacts, calendars, photos, documents, and more, and keeps the information up to date across all of their devices, automatically. iCloud can also be used by third-party apps to store and sync documents as well as key values for app data as defined by the developer. Users set up iCloud by signing in with an Apple ID and choosing which services they would like to use. iCloud features, including My Photo Stream, iCloud Drive, and iCloud Backup, can be disabled by IT administrators via MDM configuration profiles. The service is agnostic about what is being stored and handles all file content the same way, as a collection of bytes.

Each file is broken into chunks and encrypted by iCloud using AES-128 and a key derived from each chunks contents that utilizes SHA-256. The keys and the files metadata are stored by Apple in the users iCloud account. The encrypted chunks of the file are stored, without any user-identifying information or the keys, using both Apple and third-party storage services.
looks like you're wrong, it's only encrypted so that google can't read it

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

FMguru posted:

what a load of crap

would have been faster to say yes we gave the rapist 90 mil

Trimson Grondag 3 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 26, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but we all know apple and google are bffs and totally trading user's nudies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

why steal users nudes when you can just pressure the people you manage to hook you up

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

why steal users nudes when you can just pressure the people you manage to hook you up

ah, the perks of upper management

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

In a civil suit filed this month by Mr. Rubins ex-wife, Rie Rubin, she claimed he had multiple ownership relationships with other women during their marriage, paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to them. The couple were divorced in August.

The suit included a screenshot of an August 2015 email Mr. Rubin sent to one woman. You will be happy being taken care of, he wrote. Being owned is kinda like you are my property, and I can loan you to other people.

oh no

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 26, 2018

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

In a civil suit filed this month by Mr. Rubins ex-wife, Rie Rubin, she claimed he had multiple ownership relationships with other women during their marriage, paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to them. The couple were divorced in August.

The suit included a screenshot of an August 2015 email Mr. Rubin sent to one woman. You will be happy being taken care of, he wrote. Being owned is kinda like you are my property, and I can loan you to other people.

on no

i missed that when skimming the article. yikes!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

welp, I hope tim is enjoying my pics

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slgt skal flge slgters gang

th-thats not what being owned is supposed to mean any more... :negative:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
*dusts lapel* yeah that's right i've engaged several women in scored a victory over relationships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the language used to describe scoring a crushing victory over someone in a videogame has historically not been very good either.

• Locked thread