Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I actually don't recall any dogs being killed in this part.

That said, I wouldn't take that as a guarantee that it doesn't happen. Just that it isn't something that I vividly recall happening like the Vanilla Ice fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

definitely not remembering anything, personally

i think the dog stuff kind of goes away after the first few parts, tbh

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah I don't recall any major dog murders in part 5. Araki doesn't turn into the #1 dog lover or anything, but they're not being brutally killed on screen as prominently, anymore.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Flesnolk posted:

Honest question, a big turnoff with getting into JoJo has been the whole "rampant dog murder" thing - that's really not stuff I want to see so I kind of balk at it.

Yeah, I remember a few years back, someone did a live stream where they showed the first three episodes of the series off in an attempt to get people on another forum I'm on interested in it. I left after the end of the first episode due to Dio murdering Jonathan's dog, didn't give the series a fair shot again for a fairly long time because of how put off I was by that moment.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
what dio does to danny is hosed up and some extremely good victorian horror

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

what dio does to danny is hosed up and some extremely good victorian horror

and yet that's somehow not the most hosed-up thing he does to a dog

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't like violence, maybe you shouldn't watch a series where people get mutilated every episode ?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If you don't like violence, maybe you shouldn't watch a series where people get mutilated every episode ?

it's almost like people react differently to violence to animals. i wonder if anyone else has ever noticed this societal phenomenon

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Meanwhile I'm just surprised botl even watches anime. He seems like the type who'd smugly claim to be above the entire medium.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Flesnolk posted:

Meanwhile I'm just surprised botl even watches anime. He seems like the type who'd smugly claim to be above the entire medium.
Jojo unites all humanity

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Even those who reject their humanity

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

A dog is the MVP of part 4.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Just starting this show out, on episode 10. Loving it so far!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

The dog that ate Shigechi's sandwich was the mastermind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
My one beef with the ED is that it's too chill. JoJo is an adventure serial that's all about the shocking twists, reversals, and revelations. You need something that can carry over that drama and energy. Roundabout is the obvious example, but I thought Walk Like an Egyptian was actually pretty good at it as well - it's got a good, propulsive rhythm that the animation of the ED worked well with, and the transition of Star Platinum's hands literally closing the episode was super cool. Gangsta's Paradise could actually have been a pretty fantastic JoJo ED for that reason.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

My one beef with the ED is that it's too chill. JoJo is an adventure serial that's all about the shocking twists, reversals, and revelations. You need something that can carry over that drama and energy
ehhhhhhhhhhhhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9rBP4MEEBU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I think that one worked because it was very 'journey's end' - it created a sombre, wistful mood as our heroes' adventure wound up and the casualties stacked up. This one is just horny, which is fine, but it could stand to be a bit more dramatically horny.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The people had it coming. The dogs were innocent

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that one worked because it was very 'journey's end' - it created a sombre, wistful mood as our heroes' adventure wound up and the casualties stacked up. This one is just horny, which is fine, but it could stand to be a bit more dramatically horny.
Yeah I love this ED, but I use it to say that I dont think every ED needs to maintain high energy, this one such a chill vibe that I think Freek'n You is also doing

It also captures a different time and genre like every other ED has and I think it's pretty fitting for Arakis first real pivot into the All Twinks cast. Like the Part 4 ED had Josuke making bedroom eyes while mouthing along to Savage Garden and I feel this is just a successor of that.

Also its okay to be horny and not necessarily juvenile to be Horny. Let Jodeci be horny

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I love this ED, but I use it to say that I dont think every ED needs to maintain high energy, this one such a chill vibe that I think Freek'n You is also doing

It also captures a different time and genre like every other ED has and I think it's pretty fitting for Arakis first real pivot into the All Twinks cast. Like the Part 4 ED had Josuke making bedroom eyes while mouthing along to Savage Garden and I feel this is just a successor of that.

Also its okay to be horny and not necessarily juvenile to be Horny. Let Jodeci be horny

I mean, I literally just said it was OK to be horny. It's just that you need to be other stuff as well. I Want You was horny and it kept up the energy from those end-of-episode cliffhangers, even if it wasn't as good at it as Roundabout and WLAE.

JoJo isn't just about beautiful, scantily-clad men posing sexily. It's about beautiful, scantily-clad men posing sexily and then turning each other inside out with their punch-ghosts, which then pose sexily. This is why Bloody Stream, which had the cast alternate between gyrating like Bond girls and beating the crap out of each other, was one of the truest encapsulations of the JoJo aesthetic.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Oct 24, 2018

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does anyone have the eye catch/episode preview isolated? I wanna make the music they use a notification sound.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Magna Kaser posted:

A dog is the MVP of part 3.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The people had it coming. The dogs were innocent

The dogs know what they did.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

danny would've been fine if he was capable of looking up

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN7q7ItsQ9U

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Every time I close my eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUuNDG-XoE

I wake up feeling so beep boop.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mulva posted:

A dog is the MVP of part 3.

And not just the disabling attack on Vanilla Ice. Taking out Pet Shop was completely thankless and Iggy's real contribution; that bird would have easily wiped the cast.

Was a linchpin against N'Doul too.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think the guy who could generate infinite fire could probably have handled the ice bird

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's almost thursday

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Huh. This shitpost made me notice something about the OP I hadn't picked up on.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

I think the guy who could generate infinite fire could probably have handled the ice bird

There was a line about putting the whole crew on ice that I should have gone with, but I couldn't remember if it was ice or generic crystals.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I lost it at cheese boy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
thank god for jojo fridays, the reward of hellweek

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

today is thursday

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Arist posted:

today is thursday

in two hours and thirteen minutes, it will be friday

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5b3z0to0PY

e: poo poo, this dude's channel is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TORhENgNoL0

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 25, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder what the deal is with Giorno's mother? I mean, beyond sexing DIO and living being interesting, I have to wonder if Giorno's still keeps in touch with her or if he's off on his own ever since going to boarding school. Does he feel fond of her or does he appropriately resent her for being terrible? He didn't seem to have a wallet picture of her like Mudad.

I also wonder if that gangster he met was in Passione, but judging by his outfit, he's not dressed oddly enough to be a part of that particular gang.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else wonder what the deal is with Giorno's mother? I mean, beyond sexing DIO and living being interesting, I have to wonder if Giorno's still keeps in touch with her or if he's off on his own ever since going to boarding school. Does he feel fond of her or does he appropriately resent her for being terrible? He didn't seem to have a wallet picture of her like Mudad.

I did think about this because, you know, of course, but I'm also going into social work as like, a job, so here's my two cents.

Given that he's in boarding school, it's pretty easy on the narrative because that means we never have to see his parents, but it's a Middle-High School boarding school, so Giorno probably would have been on his own starting at around 12, which is when Dio was planning to strike out on his own before he knew about the Joestars. If the school costs anything, they probably have scholarships, and Giorno's pretty well-versed in fencing and grifting, so that's where his spending money comes from. I think it's implied that Giorno ditched them at around when Dio was about to ditch his own father, but in a less murdery way.

So, Giorno's mom. Given that we've seen her for all of two seconds, she kind of reminds me of one of those parents who loves the idea of kids, like in the same way some people love the idea of pets? She's young, she still likes to go out and have fun, and she'll still, like, feed and clean and take care of a baby, because babies are cute. She doesn't really want Giorno hurt because the stepdad only acts violent when she isn't around. Her problem is that she doesn't understand that yes, you have to stay home and care for a crying baby at night. And that seems like common sense, but you'd be surprised at how many people think they can either go out at night with a baby at home, or even let the baby keep crying and not do anything with the hosed up reasoning of not "spoiling" it. Yeah, that's a thing and yes, it's terrible.

What you get with this, with a parent that isn't very consistent, is a child who doesn't really trust them. Maybe they don't outright resent them, but they can't really bond with them either. It's this weird ambivalence. And in any case, Giorno seems to have moved on to bigger, more pressing matters and cut his parents out of his life. Like you said, he has a picture of someone he didn't even know and not his own mother. That sums it up pretty well, to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

she stops being relevant after the backstory stuff, really. all anyone needs to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's a good point. Giorno's mother didn't strike me as actively malicious, but more uncaring of her responsibility as a parent.

Johnny Joestar posted:

she stops being relevant after the backstory stuff, really. all anyone needs to know.

Pretty much. But she does raise my interest for how little presence she has, unlike Jotaro's dad who exists but has nothing interesting his existence brings.