Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
solution: make vicky3 cover the 19th century and expand hoi5 to cover the 20th century

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

solution: make vicky3

Fixed that for you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like a lot of the diplomatic angle is being ignored in the “balance” discussion. Like one way to look at it is “the Soviet Union is why Germany had no chance” and rather than buffing Germany and nerfing the USSR the German player could just.... not invade the USSR until they’ve actually wrapped up the allies. Like why do we assume that the war has to be fully historical even when doing so requires players to do something incredibly stupid and then still allowing them to win anyway?

The game is a war game but that doesn’t mean that army strength is the only lever that can be pulled to tweak balance.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

The issue is that we don't need a balanced game, what we would need is a game that is unbalanced in the right direction at the right time. People come into HoI expecting a perfect re-run of WWII, complete with the Germans being defeated at the gates of Moscow and Stalingrad. At the same time they don't want bullshit events ruining their brilliant three-pronged envelopment of the Soviet Armies on their way to Stalingrad. So we need to somehow make a game which makes the historical narrative happen organically. This has been a constant thorn in our side and I don't really have a good solution for it.

The entire surrender system, for example, is built around a single use-case: make France fall quickly. That it works for anything else is a bonus. France is also dramatically weaker than they should be considering their historical situation because if Germany doesn't beat France quickly the entire game kind of fizzles out. This is also the reason why we have been so reluctant to add the phoney war period - anything that upsets this delicate balance (like a France that has an additional 6 months to sort its poo poo out) is a massive problem.

We are the only Paradox game that has to deal with this, because if people post a Vicky II game where a fascist Russia and a communist France are played against each other by a republican Britain everyone nods and talks about how amazingly plausible this all is. HoI would work much better if we started in 1910 and just ran from there (and I feel that oine of the reasons why the more far-fetched alt-history branches work is because they remove the frame of reference).

Funnily enough, the hardcore wargames like War in the East just have a bunch of hard-coded rules to make sure the chain of events stays roughly historical. they have a combat simulation that tracks every rifle of every squad of every division of the eastern front, on both sides, but when the first winter hits the Soviets don't have to play by the regular combat rules anymore because if they did the Germans would win 9 times out of 10.

Yeah I love all the alt-history stuff coming into the game as it adds a much richer fabric to work with. I played a Kaiser Germany game and absolutely loved it, mostly because I've never really done a Germany game because I find playing as Hitler disgusting. But since Kaiser Germany is basically "OTL WW2 except with Germany not as monstrous" it's more palatable to me.

I also really enjoyed my Manchuoko game because it's always fun to take a minor power and play them into someone who mattered.

Basically what I'm saying is, make Vicky3 and add a save converter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

also manchu imperial dress pu yi is fabulous

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've put probably 3000 hours into the HOI series but have never played a single other Paradox game. I bought Victoria 2 years ago but never got around to playing it, is it worth getting into in 2018?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Basticle posted:

I've put probably 3000 hours into the HOI series but have never played a single other Paradox game. I bought Victoria 2 years ago but never got around to playing it, is it worth getting into in 2018?
I personally do not think it has aged well so I would not, but if you ask about it in the general paradox thread I'm sure all the fanbois will urge you to try.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

I love Vicky despite its flaws but I will also admit that it would be really hard to get into if you’re used to more modern Paradox games. It’s not as complicated as it seems on the surface but it’s very bad at communicating what you should and shouldn’t care about, so you’re overloaded with data with no way to prioritize it beyond looking up a guide somewhere. It’s also not nearly as flexible as more recent games when it comes to alt-history stuff. Like there’s a few Easter-egg things in there like restoring the Byzantine empire or forming Gran Colombia, but otherwise most of the focus is on following historical paths like forming germany/italy or fighting the US civil war. Military stuff is especially a pain since by 1900 you’ll have a massive army along the lines of a HoI game but still need to give manual orders to each stack.

The main reason why people want a Vicky 3 is because it’s still one of the most interesting of the older Paradox series, with its focus on domestic issues and economics rather than just pure conquest, but it’s really showing its age. People want a modern version and the best we can do is play Vicky 2 and imagine how much more playable it could be.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

I played a Kaiser Germany game and absolutely loved it, mostly because I've never really done a Germany game because I find playing as Hitler disgusting. But since Kaiser Germany is basically "OTL WW2 except with Germany not as monstrous" it's more palatable to me.

Must suck to have this mentality, means you can't play any nation other than Switzerland I guess.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I got drunk on a Thursday night and randomly re-watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Now I'm working on a HOI4 mod that assumes the UK starts fighting the Nazis using magic.

This stupid loving game. <3

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Must suck to have this mentality, means you can't play any nation other than Switzerland I guess.

???? the soviets are right there

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I forgot to post this earlier, either this was just added in 0.8 or it was so rare I had somehow never had it happen before but there is now an event in KaiserReich where literally all of Mittelafrica loving declares independence at the same time and erupts into like 10 different border wars

RIP trying to play this stupid mod in multiplayer, this will crash games, I guarantee it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Like there’s a few Easter-egg things in there like restoring the Byzantine empire or forming Gran Colombia,

you can also release some tiny island off norway and through an event transform your pop into polar bears

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Basticle posted:

I forgot to post this earlier, either this was just added in 0.8 or it was so rare I had somehow never had it happen before but there is now an event in KaiserReich where literally all of Mittelafrica loving declares independence at the same time and erupts into like 10 different border wars

RIP trying to play this stupid mod in multiplayer, this will crash games, I guarantee it.

That's been in for a while, it happens if Goering goes full Goering.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

???? the soviets are right there

Well clearly he can't play them, because they killed and enslaved millions too, as did pretty much every other nation at some point in history.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tannu Tuva did nothing wrong :colbert:

Someone's gonna post some poo poo about atrocities in Tannu Tuva, aren't they? :saddowns:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's between the Soviet Union and Stalinist Mongolia, assume something horrible is happening there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Tannu Tuva was so horrifying that even Stalin felt he had to step in and annex them.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

chairface posted:

Someone's gonna post some poo poo about atrocities in Tannu Tuva, aren't they? :saddowns:

mass llama murder

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

chairface posted:

They executed or displaced thousands of Buddhist monks, if that counts.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Funky Valentine posted:

The second Weltkrieg is the centerpiece war of our mod, therefore 95% of countries cannot get involved in it.

Yeah, KR is a bit too gung ho about giving every single nation their own ind-depth alt-history scenario that the "Second Weltkreig" ends up being just a pompous name that the Germans give to a brief military conflict between them and the French Commune.

The mod is ultimately being about civil wars, internal conflicts, and decolonization than an actual World War scenario, which I think is interesting in its own right but not very well served by HoI4's systems.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 25, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

axeil posted:

A Nationalist China approach to the USSR would be interesting.

Imo, I'm more interested in them really building out the "what if Stalin wasn't a moron?" timeline. In a USSR without de-kulakization, forced starvation, and purges the Soviets would've likely been an absolute beast circa 1940. This is probably impossible to code, but a very strong and aggressive Soviet Union should cause the rest of the world to react the same way they did to a strong and aggressive Germany, but building everything out would be a real nightmare I imagine.

I think for now they're probably better off just buffing/debuffing Germany/USSR as needed so you get an interesting outcome and spending 6 months, a year, whatever to really balance it up and make it fun.

I'm really happy that the HOI4 team seems to be really focused on making the game better. I went from never having played a game in Asia in HOI2/HOI3 to playing a bunch in a row because of how much more interesting it is. They did such a great job with the China expansion.

I have to admit, its surprising how their arent any mods that ask "what if after Lenin croaked the power struggle was won by someone who had an ideology beyond paranoid dictator"

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

I have to admit, its surprising how their arent any mods that ask "what if after Lenin croaked the power struggle was won by someone who had an ideology beyond paranoid dictator"

A "Red Alert" scenario would be great way to change up ww2.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Agean90 posted:

I think there's at least one mod that has Bukharin winning the post-Lenin thunderdome.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Agean90 posted:

outcome: the revolution has been betrayed by social democrats!

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Basticle posted:

Yeah it has never worked in MP, but at least the devs don't pretend it will. Every time we've tried it usually ends in constant desynching followed by crashes after a few months.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What are some tips for France? A while back when I'd gotten HOI for uh "free", I kept getting just massively nastied by Germany every time. Now in the present days snagged the game and all the dlcs in the sale and ready to try again.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Agean90 posted:

I was working on a mod that had something similar to this (the revolution happened after Lenin passed) but uh I started an LP and that took away all my time :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What are some tips for France? A while back when I'd gotten HOI for uh "free", I kept getting just massively nastied by Germany every time. Now in the present days snagged the game and all the dlcs in the sale and ready to try again.

Build a shitload of forts and hold the line. You get a bunch of them for free with the "Extend the maginot line" focus and if you build those areas up before taking it you can get some very high level forts for fairly cheap (the cost to build a fort is based on the level - so building the forts first then taking the focus to add 2 free levels to them is less overall cost than taking the focus first and building after). The Germans will happily throw themselves into the meatgrinder and take 10:1 casualties despite having a manpower pool roughly as big as yours. Once you notice that a load of their divisions are running out of strength and not reinforcing, that's when you go on the offensive.

An alternative approach which is a bit trickier is to play "aggressive France" where you challenge Germany early, when they take the Rhineland or Czechoslovakia decision. Germany starts off a lot weaker than they will be by the time they invade Poland, so if you hit them early you can cripple them before they've been able to build up. This is tricky though because France doesn't exactly start off in a particularly good military position either, but it is doable.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 26, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

For this advice im gonna assume your gonna play historical where you remain a democracy and dont intervene when you get the events to do so

Rush down the politics tree. eventually you'll hit a block where you cant go down it until an effect wears off, when that happens go down the military tree to get rid of your horrific malus to land doc research. after that research what ever. I recommend the tree that gets you another research slot.

for factories, build military. you have more than enough civilian factories and your focuses give you more.

for your military: focus on your army and your airforce. Your navy is decent, but since your allied with the UK they're gonna be doing the heavy lifting, so dont be afraid to scrap ships to open up more manpower. Get AT Guns and add them as support companies to your dudes, you are not gonna have enough tanks or CAS to handle the serious hardware the germans are gonna throw at you otherwise.

Remember that the maginot line is really tough and that you only need like one unit per province to dissuade the germans from attacking.

finally, pull your units out of the colonies, with the exception of Algeria's factories none of them have anything really worth leaving the metropole with less troops. I recomend just letting your horse guys handle north africa, if only because if you kick the italians out its one less thing for you to worry about

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oppose Hitler re-militarizing the Rhein, go fascist, invade the Benelux and seize the UK.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

while you're on civilian economy you get penalties to building factories but not to building forts, so use your civ factories to build level 2-6 forts from the Maginot to the sea (you can do a straight line right along the Belgian border or get fancy and put them behind rivers or in forests), and also maybe a level 1-4 forts on the Italian border

go through your political focuses ASAP to get rid of those bad national spirits (go w/ Britain is probably the easiest way to fight Germany of all the options)

then go through your industrial focuses to get military factories ASAP

use your military factories to be building Infantry Equipment, Support Equipment, Artillery, and Anti-Tank Artillery primarily. Fighter planes and anti-air artillery are probably the next best priority, followed distantly by heavy tank TDs, motorized, and CAS

if you get lucky you'll get an event that brings you up to early mobilization early on, use it. if you dont get the event then use your political power to get a silent workhorse advisor (you're starved for political power until those national spirits go away) otherwise try and get your economy mobilized as much as possible as fast as world tension allows. Whenever you get "Partial Mobilization" stop building forts and build as many military factories and train as many new divisions as you can before 1939

dont forget to research land doctrine and other passive upgrades to your army

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 26, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I did fascist France and made an alliance with Italy and totally stomped the germans. It wasn't even a defensive war for me, I declared on them.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

Yeah it has never worked in MP, but at least the devs don't pretend it will. Every time we've tried it usually ends in constant desynching followed by crashes after a few months.

I've figured out a system to fix desyncs but we'll inevitably run into a problem where it will just CTD at the same point every time you load up the save.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I did fascist France and made an alliance with Italy and totally stomped the germans. It wasn't even a defensive war for me, I declared on them.

France is ridiculously powerful if you don't stay democratic.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bees everywhere posted:

Me and a couple of friends actually played a Kaiserreich MP game and got to 1940, with only the occasional desync, but then it became completely unplayable.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

KR did a hotfix yesterday that claimed among other things to actually give the US/CSA something to do after the civil war, cant wait to be disappointed again

ed: laffo each side in the ACW now gets tank divisions with names like '1st People's Fist' and 'The People's Other Fist'

HerraS fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 26, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MiddleOne posted:

France is ridiculously powerful if you don't stay democratic.
What makes you say ridiculous? I have played Communist France many times and have done some interesting things but never anything that has made me feel ridiculously powerful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You can grab the Benelux and the UK like it's not big deal while allying with Italy through focus. If you free Vietnam and Congo you also have shitloads of manpower. It's broken as hell.

A golden rule in Hoi4 is that fascism is always better than communism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

MiddleOne posted:

A golden rule in Hoi4 is that fascism is always better than communism.
Which is better than non-aligned which is better than democratic. The minor focus tree in particular reinforces this. Democratic/unaligned minor focuses might be better than the communist too.