Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Excuse me id prefer that the theme change based on my biological clock rather than bullshit like Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Auto switching themes based on time of day detected by the location of your phone is cool as gently caress though.

it's a huge pain in the rear end to make too, thats why like 3 apps do it

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
Thank you for the updated version which now displays tweets, I appreciate it, considering y'all are doing this for free! Most of my non work internet time is reading the forums so it makes a big difference!

Is there a donation thing somewhere for the devs of this app?

PS GreenPOS theme best theme don't @ me

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Slippery posted:

Thank you for the updated version which now displays tweets, I appreciate it, considering y'all are doing this for free! Most of my non work internet time is reading the forums so it makes a big difference!

Is there a donation thing somewhere for the devs of this app?

PS GreenPOS theme best theme don't @ me

No donations, but thank you :)

Also reported

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

vyst posted:

Lol if you don't live and breathe all the dark modes

The only real question is YOSPOS Amber or Green?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yay thanks for helping out the tiny fraction of us still using the WebTV of tablets

everything's a lil snappier, too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm surprised you can't root it and install Android

Edit: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 28, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just got a Pixel 3 XL and was slightly disappointed to learn that this app doesn't have a troll notch mode that makes the app go fullscreen in landscape mode with the notch blocking some of the thread

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I'm actually posting this from my Amazon Fire tablet that I got last Christmas, but I sideloaded the Google play store, so my app version is the play store beta.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

asecondduck posted:

Just got a Pixel 3 XL and was slightly disappointed to learn that this app doesn't have a troll notch mode that makes the app go fullscreen in landscape mode with the notch blocking some of the thread

Like, you overestimate our dedication, but holy hell that would have been hilarious.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

asecondduck posted:

Please

Put notches around the sides/bottom too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Make an app that just adds a permanent notch on phones that don't actually have a notch.

iamjohnsalt
Dec 6, 2017

I just learned there's a OLED theme right there in the settings. What a happy day.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Just changed phones and tweets aren't embedding properly is there a really obvious button I've forgotten to click?

Posts > embedding > tweets is ticked

fluppet fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 5, 2018

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Try disabling Instagram directly below the Twitter setting. Then close and restart the app.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
That's done the job

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bit of a long shot I know but I'm wondering if there's any way to insert Awful into the share sheet for YouTube or have Awful recognize a YouTube short url and format it so it's easier to add an embeddable link into a post?

Basically right now what I have to do is grab the url from the YouTube app share sheet, put it into unshorten.it, truncate the url so it's just the link to the video, and then paste it into the post.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You can just share to the clipboard, do Insert Video and it'll convert the short URL :cheerdoge:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

baka kaba posted:

You can just share to the clipboard, do Insert Video and it'll convert the short URL :cheerdoge:

Oh. I never even tried that and it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How long till we can make new posts with the app?

(I have not read the 100+ pages of this thread if this was answered.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

banned from Starbucks posted:

Never, new posts are bad.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

seems like you made this new post just fine.

ticket closed.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You have to be a premium member of Awful to get that feature

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

It seems like all posts on a page will always be marked as read if there's a post on there by someone on your ignore list.

Like the bookmarks list says there are six unread posts in a thread, you tap on that and it shows the relevant page, but you're at the bottom and everything on the page is marked as read, even posts you haven't seen yet. If some of those six posts were on the next page, they wouldn't be marked as read.

I'm on 3.5.2, which is the play store version I think.

Known issue?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Do you have Hide Ignored Posts on in Settings > Posts? And when you say the new posts are read, do you mean they have the read colours? And the actual old posts aren't getting hidden (with the 'click to show' thing above the new ones, if you have that enabled)

There's some screwy stuff in how ignored posts are handled, but it's weird if unread stuff is being marked read. Do you know if the ignored post was the first unread one?

Thanks though - I'll investigate it later!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Far as I can tell, the ignored post doesn't have to be the first or last of the unread ones. I'm not even entirely sure if it needs to be one of the unread ones, or if it suffices that an ignored post appears on the page. I'll see if I can figure that out.

I have hide ignored posts on in settings. New posts are read, in the sense that they have the read colours, they don't fold into the hidden old posts thing at that point, which I have on as well.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Hi - First, thank you to those who have done so much work for free.

I just got a Google Pixel 3 after using only iPhones before, so I'm still figuring out how to navigate literally everything. I have used the Awful iPhone app for years. One thing I'm noticing is that while reading a thread, if I see a quoted post and I click to go to the source post, I can't seem to go back to where I was without going back to the forum or bookmark view and re-opening the thread and finding my place again. Am I missing an easy way to go back? Just wanted to check.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Propaniac posted:

Hi - First, thank you to those who have done so much work for free.

I just got a Google Pixel 3 after using only iPhones before, so I'm still figuring out how to navigate literally everything. I have used the Awful iPhone app for years. One thing I'm noticing is that while reading a thread, if I see a quoted post and I click to go to the source post, I can't seem to go back to where I was without going back to the forum or bookmark view and re-opening the thread and finding my place again. Am I missing an easy way to go back? Just wanted to check.

If you have not done anything further than looked at it, the phone's back button should take you back. If not, that's broken again.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

If the quoted post is on another page, back works (doesn't scroll properly though). If it's on the same page there's no backstack behaviour. It's kinda broken yeah :shobon:

Cheers bud, I'll take a look!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
If we won't get a Batman-Spin nav animation anytime soon, can we at least get the Cube-In transition to do a longer, roulette style spin with various speeds? Also VR & Daydream optimization, for head wiggles and wobbles.

Just hoping for some awkward nausea this holiday season, to help goons keep off the pounds.

(thanks for the app)

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 22, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

You tryina make us do maths here or something?!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Have tweets broken for anyone else? I'm on Android 7.0 & they just stopped rendering as anything but text. I did not change any settings

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Vim Fuego posted:

Have tweets broken for anyone else? I'm on Android 7.0 & they just stopped rendering as anything but text. I did not change any settings

I just saw one in I think the PYF gif thread that was supposed to be something animated but instead was just the embed frame and the text with the generic Android broken image icon in the top left.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tweet embedding is just twitter's own script, if bits aren't loading it might be their site (and when tweets are deleted they stay as a plain link)

Apparently Instagram embedding is a bit broke though so try turning that off if you haven't, or an insta link might interrupt the embedding process

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Got it. they are working again now, so it makes sense that it was something external to the app

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

Got it. they are working again now, so it makes sense that it was something external to the app

Twitter especially has a terrible mobile api that shits the bed with the lights on constantly.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Yeah the API is bad, but this is the "turn this text container into a tweet" file we load directly from Twitter nowadays because they keep changing and breaking their poo poo faster than we can update it. The problem is we only do this once at the start and if your phone is bad at loading this sometimes the it will not retry.

So congratulations for inspiring issue #650 :confuoot:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Mostly like the new update so far, the only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the spacing for new posts. Visually there seems to be too much space from the top (especially if the post starts with a quote), even though I knows it centred within its space. I'll probably get used to after a few days, so no biggie.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I don't get what spacing you mean. In the thread view? Or do you mean on the reply view? Are you using a theme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I'm using the OLED theme that comes with the app. Maybe this picture will help explain what I meant? The gaps I've drawn seem larger than they were before the update, that's all.