Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Yeah it's basically :decorum:.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...campaign=buffer

DMN gives Beto their rec but it almost seems like an afterthought if you read the article.

Like, this is the entirety of their argument it seems:

quote:

The pivotal issue before our country is public leadership, and here we believe O’Rourke’s tone aligns with what is required now. This inclusive and hopeful tone, along with O’Rourke’s approach of starting with shared principles and working toward solutions, offset any policy differences we have with him. Leadership is more than policy, and whether we are addressing the very real challenges before us now turns on our ability to find points of agreement.

They then soften that recommendation a ton by giving Cruz credit for things that range from bad (tax cut) to half-hearted (ignoring gun control stuff in favor of other approaches).

e: beaten on the news/link but analysis stands

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1055494317970731008

quote:

In December 2016, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers arrested a woman on drunken driving charges in the picturesque Hill Country town of Brady. The arrest took place a few blocks from the Heart of Texas Country Music Museum and a few miles from the historical marker on the edge of town delineating the geographic center of Texas.

But the DPS classified this routine police work in the literal heart of Texas — about 200 miles from the Mexico border — as one of the nearly 40,000 border arrests it has made over the past two years, a statistic the department provides in online fact sheets and in testimony to lawmakers when touting its $350 million per year border security effort.

The Brady arrest is not an outlier in DPS statistics. According to an American-Statesman analysis of what the DPS considers border arrests, nearly 30 percent occurred more than 100 miles from the border — in Hill Country cities like Brady and Mason, as well as Panhandle towns like Seminole and Denver City. Included in the numbers are thousands of arrests in the West Texas cities of Odessa, Midland and San Angelo, nearly 200 miles from Mexico. Many of those far-flung arrests lack a nexus to cartel activity or smuggling offenses.
Yet the arrests include thousands that are unrelated to smuggling. More than one-quarter of the DPS criminal border arrests are for DWI.

$800m dedicated to border security last biennium.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FBS posted:

Dallas Morning News finally got around to making a Senate recommendation.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2018/10/25/recommend-beto-orourke-us-senate

Lol at their endorsements not being out before early voting. Someone should be fired for that imo.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/1055494317970731008

$800m dedicated to border security last biennium.

Wow they even got dinged by their Sunset review despite one of the reps in charge being openly hostile to applying any kind of oversight:

"“It’s almost offensive to say, ‘What are the results?’” Sunset Advisory Commission member Rep. Dan Flynn, R-Canton, a member of the House Committee on Homeland Security and Public Safety, said during the May hearing. Border communities “are only safe because we’ve had a strong border presence. I would give anything that we didn’t have to spend the amount we have. I would hope we could evaluate the results being that we still have a pretty safe environment.”"

What were the positions of the reps/senators from the actual border region to the expansion? I suspect they weren't fans and that it got slammed through by assholes hundreds of miles away like Flynn there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pancho Nevarez is the only one, he's fairly left for the House so I'd imagine he was pretty sore about it.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The DMN is very much the voice of the Dallas / Highland Park business establishment. Chamber of Commerce Republicans and the Texas Association of Business. Their ideal politico is Joe Straus so them beginning to endorse Democrats in select races is more of an indication that they think the Trumpy far right is starting to threaten the goose that lays the golden eggs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1055512343310934017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The DMN is very much the voice of the Dallas / Highland Park business establishment. Chamber of Commerce Republicans and the Texas Association of Business. Their ideal politico is Joe Straus so them beginning to endorse Democrats in select races is more of an indication that they think the Trumpy far right is starting to threaten the goose that lays the golden eggs.

That bird is already headless at this point.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

That bird is already headless at this point.
"The DMN? I don't read that left-wing garbage."

Uhh it's a conservative business paper... like Joe Straus.

"Oh you mean those neocon fuckers!? gently caress YOU. MAGA."

*punch*

:tootzzz:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1055525379736326146
:thunk:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Lol at their endorsements not being out before early voting. Someone should be fired for that imo.

That is pretty loving :sad:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Again, they endorsed Sadler v. Cruz in 2012, so I don't think the voters of north Texas were hanging on the DMNs editorial board to make a decision. The Houston Chronicle's endorsement of Beto after endorsing Cruz in 2012 is more significant, if one can say that editorial board endorsements are worth the paper they are printed on, which they probably aren't.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

my mom says my dad, who has claimed to have only voted twice, he says once against nixon (i always assumed this meant for carter, against ford) and once for obama as an anti-bush vote, may vote against lyin ted.

update: dad voted, which means beto has this poo poo in the bag

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shear Modulus posted:

update: dad voted, which means beto has this poo poo in the bag

Niiiiice.

Helping your parents become better people is a rewarding, albeit frustrating and tedious, experience.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Zionists!

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Transplanted here from Virginia a couple of months ago with my special lady as she starts her fellowship at Baylor Medical. Voted today at Fiesta, huge line from what I'm used to from when I lived in the sticks. I chatted with one of the volunteers and she said the line was much longer yesterday in the rain, so I don't have to kick myself for waiting until that passed at least. Then she called us all not dedicated voters for waiting for nicer weather hah!

On an off topic note, anyone looking for a software developer to hire near TMC? I'm solidly anti-bags of wasps if that helps!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Voted around lunch in central Austin with moderate lines, if someone wants to try to soothsay from that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Voted around lunch in central Austin with moderate lines, if someone wants to try to soothsay from that.

*rubs hand on orb*

Beto will lose big!

Unless you paypal me $1,000 to remove the toxins from his campaign.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

*rubs hand on orb*

Beto will lose big!

Unless you paypal me $1,000 to remove the toxins from his campaign.

Just put an onion in your socks when you sleep and it'll leech the toxins out of the campaign.

Edit: Just checked and State posted yesterday's early vote totals.

The numbers are not going down at all in Harris. Other big city counties had a dip, but still very good numbers. We are approaching 20% turnout in some of the metro periphery counties.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 25, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dameius posted:

Edit: Just checked and State posted yesterday's early vote totals.

The numbers are not going down at all in Harris. Other big city counties had a dip, but still very good numbers. We are approaching 20% turnout in some of the metro periphery counties.

Good lord those Smith County numbers are low as poo poo.

How is Smith the only county on that list with ZERO mail votes?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why does the state only release these numbers for big counties? Surely people would like to know about the numbers elsewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No one cares about the flyover counties.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
In other news Prarie View A&M won their lawsuit against scumbag Waller County so they are opening up polling times in the city...although it still looks like no location on campus. =/

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/25/waller-county-expands-early-voting-prairie-view-m-students/

quote:

Two days after students at Prairie View A&M University sued Waller County over allegations that the county is suppressing the voting rights of black residents, the rural county said it is expanding early voting opportunities for students at the historically black university.

The county will now open a Sunday polling place at Prairie View City Hall and expand voting hours at the university's campus center on Monday through Wednesday of next week to 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., instead of the original 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., according to the NAACP. Students can continue to early vote at the Waller County Community Center in Prairie View on Thursday and Friday of next week.

According to Waller County’s website, there is still no location on campus or in the city of Prairie View available to the students during the first week of early voting, which is what originally prompted five students to sue the county, accusing it of violating the federal Voting Rights Act and U.S. Constitution by denying them “an equal opportunity to vote” compared to the county’s non-black voters.

Waller County Judge Trey Duhon, a Republican, and Elections Administrator Christy Eason announced the expanded early voting opportunities for the students in a statement released Wednesday, but said that the county will be “vigorously opposing” allegations of voter disenfranchisement.

“We have analyzed our resources in an attempt to extend additional hours and times, and have done so, but all citizens of Waller County must be accommodated with the limited resources of a small county,” the statement said.

In a statement released Thursday, the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund called the expanded early voting plan “an improvement over the original plan, but still not equal to what other Waller County residents were offered.”

Prairie View A&M students have long fought with the county over increased access to the ballot box. In a 1979 voting rights case that went to the U.S. Supreme Court, the court affirmed students' rights to register to vote at their college addresses even though county officials claimed the students were not residents. It wasn't until 2013 that students won a decades-long fight over the need to open an Election Day polling location on campus.

If you want to know more about the history of Waller County and how their ongoing campaign to disenfranchise black Prairie View students, Maddow had a good recap the other night.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PatShields13/status/1054908862334205954

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOvVvXsnes

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
My partner and I just put in +2 for Beto in Harris County. Still a pretty good turnout at the Metro Multi Service Center, but its always the weird mix of Montrose and River Oaks people there.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Just voted at jersey village city hall outside Houston. For the area the crowd was pretty diverse (so only half old white people) and the room was full but I didn’t see the line get past three people long. I’ve voted early there for the past few years and never seen more than one other person voting including 2016.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Xarthor posted:

In other news Prarie View A&M won their lawsuit against scumbag Waller County so they are opening up polling times in the city...although it still looks like no location on campus. =/

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/10/25/waller-county-expands-early-voting-prairie-view-m-students/

If you want to know more about the history of Waller County and how their ongoing campaign to disenfranchise black Prairie View students, Maddow had a good recap the other night.

I helped maintain a website for Waller County before, they never responded to questions on time and took over a year to fully pay. I can only imagine what day to day operations are like there based on that experience.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Frostyhawk posted:

My partner and I just put in +2 for Beto in Harris County. Still a pretty good turnout at the Metro Multi Service Center, but its always the weird mix of Montrose and River Oaks people there.

Did this on Tuesday with my wife and it was a lot of uptight business dudes mixed in with millennials (like myself) and a bunch of very old women voting with their millennial kids and grandkids.

So who knows.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This man looks like a half-baked Ted Cruz

https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1055585551322103808

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

that's ted cruz's son. he is 14 years old.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ted Cruz looks like a half-baked Ted Cruz.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
guys be nice Ted finally budded and he's very proud of his offspring

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

that's ted cruz's son. he is 14 years old.
Todd Cruz

His other son is named Rod

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

No Safe Word posted:

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...campaign=buffer

DMN gives Beto their rec but it almost seems like an afterthought if you read the article.

Like, this is the entirety of their argument it seems:

They then soften that recommendation a ton by giving Cruz credit for things that range from bad (tax cut) to half-hearted (ignoring gun control stuff in favor of other approaches).

e: beaten on the news/link but analysis stands

The best part is the last sentence mentioning also, btw, there is a libertarian candidate

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Ted and his small adult son

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/by_jmiller/status/1055599525375733760

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1054948501619163138

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 26, 2018

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

I voted a few hours ago down in TX-22. I try to be home for elections these days if possible.

The demographics of 22 have changed massively since it was Paul's district, after which it was gerrymandered into Delay's personal fiefdom for a few years. The Fort Bend County area has been heading that direction for a long time, but the changes in Northern Brazoria County are what's really swung wide. I seriously doubt Sri can pull it off this go-round, though as milquetoast Democrats go he is at least a real human being with an interesting life trajectory, but if the growth keeps heading this direction (it will) and they don't gerrymander it again then within about 8 years I suspect one of two things will happen - either A) there will be a Democrat of any kind or B) there will be an ethnically Asian Republican. If you asked me to guess which one is more likely, I could not. Oh and C) the country will break down into civil war as John Titor described and Tom Herman will be the President of the combined University of Texas - University of Houston Co-Prosperity Militia. Everyone rush out, purchase a bicycle and a shotgun just in case, though as this is Texas you should already have at least one of those things, if not both.

I'm from further down a bit in one of the rural areas that is definitely not assisting in the transformation of TX-22, by the way.

you came back :toot:

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
34,426 votes in Bexar county today. No sign of slowing down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Y'all just wait they're gonna have 100% turnout in Deaf Smith County or some poo poo.