Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

It's a shame megacorps and gestalts don't seem to be able to both be picked. A robo-ethic that turns them into single-minded profit seekers that only want to build larger and larger stock markets would be a great bit of gimmicky fun.

I do hope that they try to work around that as it does seem like such a perfect fit. The originator species was eventually made extinct in a never ending pursuit of profit and so in the galactic stage the machines they left behind will interact with the galaxy in the only way they know how.

Also it does seem like this expansion could lead to some really fun multiplayer possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

The end game crises can't fire until 50 years after the end game start date, god knows why, meaning if you have it on the default setting, 2450 is the earliest it could possibly fire.

This is good to know because I've abandoned or got bored of a bunch of games by about 2440 thinking a crisis just isn't going to happen and the game is over.
I do find that even on the lowest setting for mid-game crisis I haven't see the Marauders rise up at all and all their raiding still seems broken as hell. I love that Stellaris keeps adding sweeping new content but I wish they'd make sure their existing stuff worked properly too. Hopefully once the dust settles for 2.2 they can go back and give another bug-fixing and balance pass on fun but often buggy stuff like Great Khans.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I will happily do the most comically depraved things in CK2, forge brutal colonial empires in EU4, play every weird gimmick country in V2. I just find aliens and alien names hard to attach any sort of narrative to, and that egalitarian materialist playstyle has the best balance between fussy annoying micro and fun gameplay. Materialist and Egalitarian factions demands are the easiest to just set some policies, totally please them and never have to worry about them again.

You really should branch out. Pick yourself some butterflies, go Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Egalitarian, Purifier. Pops are Industrious, Thrifty, Traditional, Non-Adaptive, Repugnant. The faction demands are staggeringly easy to meet, there's nothing on your planets that needs microing because all your pops are good at pretty much everything, and all you have to worry about is purging xenos and satisfying the shroud.

It's legitimately way more fun than the tall science turtle build.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hey Wiz, can you entertain a modding question? Is the ability to do branch offices a line in the authority definition like "can_have_branch_offices = true" that could in theory be put in a civic? Wondering if it's possible to mod things so that other authority types get in on the fun.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

You really should branch out. Pick yourself some butterflies, go Spiritualist/Xenophobe/Egalitarian, Purifier.

hell yeah

Edit: Oh wow, the goon pack started a long rear end time ago in development cycle terms, huh?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Baronjutter posted:

No namelists are good because the moment you go cybernetic the game bugs out and gives you a new random namelist oh god why hasn't this been fixed yet?!
Seriously. :gonk:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It can do a lot to help balance out the game by being an rear end in a top hat as while one or two empires can be dealt with without too much issue, fighting off the entire galaxy is a much harder proposition.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would very much like an event that could fire off and give the option to have your empire change namelists when you change governing ethics or just occasionally for fun. Have it give you a few options , i.e for UEF:

As the government and the culture of our people have changed, so too have the names people are giving their children.

1. The older names are best <switch to Roman list>
2. Best to embrace the newer names <switch to Unity Name List>
4. Nothing Wrong with our current trends <stays the same>

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

hell yeah

Edit: Oh wow, the goon pack started a long rear end time ago in development cycle terms, huh?

my butterflies and your butterflies would not get along

egalitarian/xenophile/militarist is my go-to - very easy factions to please together, and it's easy to make the materialists happy too. xenophobes, pacifists, and authoritarians obviously not so much but they're all jerks that need to be converted anyway

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Taear posted:

You work on Stellaris Darkrenown? I thought you did CK2.

I'd have just thought Wiz and LordMune.

I've worked on almost everything since post-release Vic2 :) I was actually on Stellaris pre-release and made the planet modifiers system and some other junk. Then I was on CK2 for a bit, took off for a while, and came back for more Stellaris. I wasn't even kidding about making a CK 2 themed event a few pages back!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Another reason I go human over other species is that they have the widest variety of pop appearances. This is very important to me

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jazerus posted:

egalitarian/xenophile/militarist is my go-to - very easy factions to please together, and it's easy to make the materialists happy too. xenophobes, pacifists, and authoritarians obviously not so much but they're all jerks that need to be converted anyway

I honestly never actually played them, I set them up as an always-spawn because I get a kick out of seeing that guy come at me with "QUAKE IN FEAR, ALIEN SCUM, YOUR DOOM APPROACHES!!" I have a little imagined backstory where their hatred of the Other comes from actually being the size of regular-rear end butterflies and getting stepped on and poo poo by bigger animals but also being super-intelligent. Once they figured out how to kill everything big enough to squish them, they never looked back.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Another reason I go human over other species is that they have the widest variety of pop appearances. This is very important to me

Colourful and Extended Vanilla Clothes are the mods for you, along with the various dimorphism mods

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Jay Rust posted:

I can’t not play humans either, and only because their randomized planet names are cooler than the Blurp Blorps other name lists give their colonies

Taear posted:

Who allows the game to assign names to planets and doesn't rename them and also rename stars? Come on now.

I actually wrote a little program to procedurally generate a name list for my favourite empire. It's a very specific name list, but man, it does wonders for giving that empire a distinct identity.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

I always have difficulty pleasing the militarists as too often they are bitching about wanting me to rival over empires which is hard to do when nothing by my immediate border is a threat.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Also confirming that robots are a lot more fun to play now they just get built in a factory instead of building them on each tile. I love machine races and synthetic APs, but having to build your pops was always a complaint I had. Is anyone watching the devclash? I am playing driven assimilators in it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I guess I wish that other empires could keep pace better, or ally against the player more effectively. Because I really think the only things that could pose any kind of threat to my empires by the midgame are FEs and crises, and that's pretty boring.

The very early game is the best bit, fighting skirmishes for key systems with scarce resources and equivalent fleets, but it lasts such a short time. I had a great war with a neighbour recently where I absolutely had to knock one of their border systems over to secure access out of my arm and block them in, about 20 years in on 2.5x tech cost, it took all bloody war because they outnumbered me and they bombed my homeworld a little bit but I eventually managed to knock out enough of their lovely 700 strength fleet that I could settle status quo on that system days before they finished occupying one of my colonies. Real tense, great fun. Wish there was more of that.

Increase the difficulty. You said you were playing on Commodore. Bump it up! The game is more fun when the AI has the ability to actually compete with you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It is canonical that all cutie portraits are supposed to be played as some flavor of shitlord or space hitler im pretty sure.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Also confirming that robots are a lot more fun to play now they just get built in a factory instead of building them on each tile. I love machine races and synthetic APs, but having to build your pops was always a complaint I had. Is anyone watching the devclash? I am playing driven assimilators in it.

I'm at work, but as soon as I get home watching today's stream is the first item on my list of things to do! That's good to hear that robits are even better to play now. I didn't mind having to build pops, but I can see how it'd be tedious for some people... but being able to tailor species to get the most out of each tile was something I loved.

EDIT: vvvvv - First rule of Stellaris. Never look at planets that you give to sectors after you give them away. It always hurts. I tried my best by pre-building and populating the early planets I give over, but by late game I lose the patience and just let them go, and never look at them again.

deathbagel fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 25, 2018

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

deathbagel posted:

I'm at work, but as soon as I get home watching today's stream is the first item on my list of things to do! That's good to hear that robits are even better to play now. I didn't mind having to build pops, but I can see how it'd be tedious for some people... but being able to tailor species to get the most out of each tile was something I loved.

Up until you handed the planet over to the sector governor and they just work tiles however they feel like it even if you pre-queued every single pop and put them where they should go :negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hunt11 posted:

I do hope that they try to work around that as it does seem like such a perfect fit. The originator species was eventually made extinct in a never ending pursuit of profit and so in the galactic stage the machines they left behind will interact with the galaxy in the only way they know how.
Shove it in the robot civics maybe? Corporate hive mind is a bit of a stretch, but I'd play the hell out of Rogue Solicitors

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Darkrenown posted:

I was reading the thread on the paradox forums, look forward to more digestible write-ups about the state of the galaxy, not really a live-stream-watching sort of person. I do enjoy the level of roleplaying and fun everyone is putting into it.

Splicer posted:

Rogue Solicitors
Nice. Yes. Open a theme park that gives the un-caretaken a taste of the luxurious worry free life that could await them. A Rogue servitor style that lets you kidnap or seduce pops would be quite entertaining. Like if you're random mining pop #8473 on random authoritarian empire planet B sitting at 40% happiness I imagine fleeing your country to go become a biotrophy might seem quite enticing.

"rogue solicitor" branch offices would work well too. The host planet gets some happiness boost from the pamper-spas while the solicitor gets a local boost to their immigration.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 25, 2018

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It is canonical that all cutie portraits are supposed to be played as some flavor of shitlord or space hitler im pretty sure.

Shitlords with the Charismatic trait

Stupid Sexy Hitlers

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Baronjutter posted:

I was reading the thread on the paradox forums, look forward to more digestible write-ups about the state of the galaxy, not really a live-stream-watching sort of person. I do enjoy the level of roleplaying and fun everyone is putting into it.

Nice. Yes. Open a theme park that gives the un-caretaken a taste of the luxurious worry free life that could await them. A Rogue servitor style that lets you kidnap or seduce pops would be quite entertaining. Like if you're random mining pop #8473 on random authoritarian empire planet B sitting at 40% happiness I imagine fleeing your country to go become a biotrophy might seem quite enticing.

"rogue solicitor" branch offices would work well too. The host planet gets some happiness boost from the pamper-spas while the solicitor gets a local boost to their immigration.

I was thinking of rogue solicitors as being an AI that wants to help everyone claim for the injury they got in that car accident a few years ago. Branch office buildings include a shady robot doctor who will prescribe you physiotherapy, and a factory that makes very poorly programmed driverless cars.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

opening blorg traditional medicine and homeopathy branch offices across the galaxy, just waiting for those population decimating plagues to kick in.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

I was thinking of rogue solicitors as being an AI that wants to help everyone claim for the injury they got in that car accident a few years ago. Branch office buildings include a shady robot doctor who will prescribe you physiotherapy, and a factory that makes very poorly programmed driverless cars.

"Did you suffer an Unbidden invasion that wasn't your fault? You may be entitled to compensation from a Fallen Empire! Call @HUMAN_LAWYER today!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Increase the difficulty. You said you were playing on Commodore. Bump it up! The game is more fun when the AI has the ability to actually compete with you.

Does the one below admiral to admiral make very much difference?

My problem is more that I accelerate much faster than the other empires and I'm not sure how to resolve that, I've tried scaling difficulty too but it doesn't seem to help.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So the Rampaging Killbots started on the other side of the galaxy from me and have steadily grown. Right when I had finally gained the access and set up the fleet to fight them, the Great Khan started loving around. Khan eventually keels over, so I can deal with the Killbots who now have a death star. I join the war against them and roll over a few systems... but it keeps giving them to another member of the coalition. (who is on the direct border with the Killbots)

How do I actually take the systems I'm cleansing? I don't have a claim option. "There's no need to claim a system controlled by a major threat."

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

My problem is more that I accelerate much faster than the other empires and I'm not sure how to resolve that, I've tried scaling difficulty too but it doesn't seem to help.

admiral + glavius AI usually lets the AI keep pace with your acceleration unless you're really min-maxing, in which case grand admiral + glavius is necessary. every difficulty step makes a pretty big difference. scaling sucks because of the acceleration issue - to be competitive the AI needs more bonuses early, not fewer. scaling is always much easier because of that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Darkrenown posted:

I'm also not a livestream person but it's cool you guys are doing stuff like that. I can't think of any other developer where the game is still "going" after so long.

Someone tell LordMune to write some more precursor events.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Deuce posted:

So the Rampaging Killbots started on the other side of the galaxy from me and have steadily grown. Right when I had finally gained the access and set up the fleet to fight them, the Great Khan started loving around. Khan eventually keels over, so I can deal with the Killbots who now have a death star. I join the war against them and roll over a few systems... but it keeps giving them to another member of the coalition. (who is on the direct border with the Killbots)

How do I actually take the systems I'm cleansing? I don't have a claim option. "There's no need to claim a system controlled by a major threat."

IIRC its cuz they had old claims on the system. I am not sure theres anything you can do about it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does anyone else make, like, a few dozen custom empires and force them to always spawn, so that you always have the same races cropping up in every game? Because that's what I do, and it helps give me the feel of a familiar, inhabited galaxy with its own lore.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Ok, I watched it and I did love that they were making fun of you at the beginning for not expanding as fast as Bratyn, then all of the sudden you swoop in and take a couple of his systems and cut him off from southern expansion and all of the sudden the tune changed to "oh, apparently he was just investing in ships to expand a different way!"

I'm obviously rooting for you and Kaiser, because robots are the superior life form of the galaxy!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Taear posted:

I genuinely miss them, nobody does Paradox LPs like he did.

*whispers into the howling wind* "Autopsy-Turvy, finish your Serbija LP..."

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yes, significantly. From the wiki:

quote:

Commodore - AI empires receive +30% naval capacity/technology/unity and +50% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +66% ship weapon damage and +66% hull/armour/shield.
Admiral - AI empires receive +45% naval capacity/technology/unity and +75% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +75% ship weapon damage and +75% hull/armour/shield.
Grand Admiral - AI empires receive +60% naval capacity/technology/unity and +100% energy/minerals/food. NPCs receive +100% ship weapon damage and +100% hull/armour/shield.

AI empires will grow significantly faster the more bonus resources they receive, plus their ships will be more powerful so it's easier for them to keep pace with a smaller fleet. Scaling difficulty does the opposite of what you want, because it lowers the bonus at the start of the game so they will grow more slowly.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you still want scaling then what you want is Dynamic Difficulty. It completely replaces the difficulty settings and has an option for scaling that adds +1% to ai empire stats every x years. So, say, you can start as commodore with all its bonuses then ever 4 years the ai gets +1% on top of that and so on. It works incredibly well and has tons of tweaking.

It also has an option to toggle whether vassals can get the same ai empire bonuses so your feudal empires aren't immediately kneecapped into uselessness when you release/hold multiple vassals.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Taear posted:

I know it's been said but Baronjutter you play the game so differently from anyone else that it's like a totally different game by that point.
Baronjutter plays the game the way I would if I had the patience to deal with the tedium. I experiment with other designs just because I tend to get bored after a while, but what he talks about is always sort of the platonic ideal of how I instinctively want to play.

Darkrenown posted:

Awesome! I've been real curious about how robopops work now, the basics of how you order up construction and so on. Glad to hear it's working out well. I watched the stream because I happened to be awake to watch it live (6 AM), and had a great time, so I'll keep up with it as it continues.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't development just a highly refined form of posting?

Yes, 90% of my job is to shitpost

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
where's the Hostile Takeover CB??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrSunshine posted:

Does anyone else make, like, a few dozen custom empires and force them to always spawn, so that you always have the same races cropping up in every game? Because that's what I do, and it helps give me the feel of a familiar, inhabited galaxy with its own lore.

Yes. And I’ve played games as most of them.