Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Revelation 2-13 posted:

How many points was this? If it's a knight in a under 1500 point game without proper warning, pick that poo poo up and throw into wall as hard as you can. See if he brings it again.

If I broke my brother in laws dollies my wife would slit my loving throat. It was a 2k game but given the last 2k we did before he brought that he only managed to kill one marine and a malignant plaguecaster I think he earned a win.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

E: ^^lol, that picture has literally everything I suggested, maybe except the regular chaos sorc. You have all the tools already, now use them! :)

YOU GOT ME HYPED MY DUDE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

All of these conversions are amazing. Unfortunately, since I'm literally only just getting back into 40k, this is all I have right now:

Some of the Conquest Intercessors with arm swaps and new heads - one from the Space Marine Commander sprue (kind of wish I'd saved him for some Reivers, actually) and one of Statueque Miniatures' Female Techno Roider heads. I'm sure there'll be more to come, though! Especially considering this week's Conquest issue is apparently the Primaris Librarian - I might go and grab a couple (I think it works out to 3 for the price of one from GW proper), since I may have bought some additional Chapter Customizer decals for other chapters for a combined force. I blame genola for posting those Blood Raven conversions, since it made me feel guilty about the fully-painted Blood Ravens Captain and Dreadnought I have from a Black Reach starter. Also myself for reading up on the Raptors, since they're basically the platonic ideal of one of several homebrew space marine chapters I invented when I was trying to get into 40k (called the Spartan Legion - more than slightly influenced by the fact I was super into Halo at the time). Weirdly a second idea I had was a mix of marines from different chapters, all in silver armour - I'm fairly certain this was before I ever heard of the Deathwatch.

Speaking of the Blood Ravens, what's the deal with their emblem changing? I know there was a bit of uncertainty at the outset, between the version used in the game and later on the Forge World Transfer sheets, and this version that was used in the Index Astartes page and a couple other places. But then GW's put out a third version?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 25, 2018

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

How many points was this? If it's a knight in a under 1500 point game without proper warning, pick that poo poo up and throw into wall as hard as you can. See if he brings it again.

Show us on this Space Marine where the Knight touched you.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah Morty will eat a Knight in combat, just point the flying Primarch missile at it and it'll go away. Don't listen to the dude who's weirdly angry about Knights.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Some more converted stuff. Going back through my pictures, Jesus I can’t stick with an army.

Immortan Joe the Chaos Lord

Heretek Mechanicum Robot

Mechanicus Culexus Assassin

Skitarii Sergeant

Blood Throne objective

Chaos Helbrute belching towards the heavens

Renegade Guardsmen commander

Seven more tomorrow, when I get into the bad old poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Badablack posted:

Skitarii Sergeant

God drat I love this a lot.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Immortan Joe is Fully Sick, and you should be banned if you don’t have him painted by the end of the year.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

panascope posted:

Immortan Joe is Fully Sick, and you should be banned if you don’t have him painted by the end of the year.

That would be extremely difficult, I ended up giving him to a buddy who was making an emperor’s children biker army like 3 years ago. He’s got a neon pink paintjob and is probably sitting on a display shelf somewhere waiting on bikes to get better.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

ETTIN

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’ll convince him to hold off until I post all my pictures of lovely old conversions. I’ll be like a fatter, uglier Scheherazade and my thousand and one nights of guardsmen with skaven heads and space marines rolled in superglue.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I HAVE AWOKEN

WAIT BROTHERS WHERE ARE MY ARMS?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

FUCKIN S A M E

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

It's Warhammer beer Thursday at Cafe Mox in Seattle, and I think I might make it this week. It's still actually on the calendar, unlike last week - https://www.moxboardinghouse.com/seattle-events/. I'm only going to bring around 1500 points of space marines and inquisition, and leave behind the Drukhari, which avoids transportation problems, even though I would rather play the Drukhari. I'm also home alone today, which makes it easier to get out. My fiance is going to a VR meetup, so I won't have to worry about her getting bored while I play.

I'll shoot to be there sometime after 6 when it starts.

To keep this post interesting, here are some pictures.

Raider v2 is looking way better than Raider v1 already. Still not done, and it won't look as nice as I want it to when it is done, but it's definitely an improvement.

I experimented with stains on this clockwork command point / victory point tracker. Still tons to improve, the unstained area under the gears is ugly, it's too tight a fit with the stains now and doesn't spin cleanly, and the sword is just not enough surface area, so it snapped off and broke. I also think I should do the stain colors the other way, with the darker color for the gears, and the lighter color for the outside.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2018

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Bellowin' bullfrogs, there have been so many dope conversions posted.

How are conversions ruled in tournaments regarding size? Like I get that certain things have certain sized bases (like the new buggies), so that would make sense.

But like, what about skaven-guard? The skaven will be a bit shorter yeah? Or what if I wanted to make a counts-as-space-marine army from converted Age of Sigmar Kharadron (steampunk dwarf) dudes? Is it tourney legal? Do you have to put all the dwarfs on scenic bases to get them to approximately space marine equal height?

Or hell, what about converted poses. That one goon with like 8 dope rear end ultramarine knights converted the legs to be in different poses. What if he converted one of the knights to be in a kneeling fire position? The height would be dramatically different.

In practice (from what I've seen from tournaments) I feel like model vertical height matters much less in 40k because LOS-blocking terrain blocking is usually really tall. But idk?

You goons are good at conversions.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How are conversions ruled in tournaments regarding size? Like I get that certain things have certain sized bases (like the new buggies), so that would make sense.

But like, what about skaven-guard? The skaven will be a bit shorter yeah? Or what if I wanted to make a counts-as-space-marine army from converted Age of Sigmar Kharadron (steampunk dwarf) dudes? Is it tourney legal? Do you have to put all the dwarfs on scenic bases to get them to approximately space marine equal height?

Or hell, what about converted poses. That one goon with like 8 dope rear end ultramarine knights converted the legs to be in different poses. What if he converted one of the knights to be in a kneeling fire position? The height would be dramatically different.

In practice (from what I've seen from tournaments) I feel like model vertical height matters much less in 40k because LOS-blocking terrain blocking is usually really tall. But idk?

Pre Vatican ii, gw was allowed to whip u if they found out you used a converted model. I think nowadays you’re mostly fine as long as you remember to buy something from the store you play your conversion at

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

There are no rules. Basically most people who are making good faith awesome conversions of stuff a) tend to try and make them as representative as possible of what they are and b) are chill about not trying to take advantage of it. At a recent tournament a guy had done a farmer-themed Guard army, so he had dudes riding pigs and sheep as Rough Riders, tractors for Leman Russ, and a combine harvester as a Stormlord. The harvester was tiny compared to what it represented, but he'd made sure it was the right height, and he'd based it on something with the same footprint, so it was easy to grasp the space it was supposed to take up and no-one had a problem playing against it.

More to the point, you can almost always instantly tell when someone's intent on being a dick about "modelling for advantage" or whatever. There's generally no hard rules but those people tend to reveal themselves almost instantly.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
It’s a lot easier now to use converted stuff in games. Vehicles don’t have specific firing arcs or weapon placements or armor sides anymore, so all you need is the same basic size and shape. For anything else, the right base size is usually good enough. A bunch of stooped guardsmen aren’t getting that much of an advantage with their 5mm reduction in height.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Badablack posted:

It’s a lot easier now to use converted stuff in games. Vehicles don’t have specific firing arcs or weapon placements or armor sides anymore, so all you need is the same basic size and shape. For anything else, the right base size is usually good enough. A bunch of stooped guardsmen aren’t getting that much of an advantage with their 5mm reduction in height.

I recall reading somewhere that the prone sniper models (?guard) ran into real issues since they were literally 10mm tall and couldn't draw LOS if they were behind any cover.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe Games Workshop would use a logo with a typo in it for their official twitter.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Gold.

x-posting from the keep painting thread.

Chiwie posted:

Dump of my scary lads for tale of the goony gamers.

Badly written words here if you would like to know more: http://goo.gl/ZzAfE1

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Loving all the awesome paintjobs & conversions. Keep em coming.

Right now I'm working through my small backlog of unpainted Tyranid stuff in anticipation of Chapter Approved. If Zoanthropes & Venomthropes don't get any point improvements this time then it's my fault I'm afraid. Just finished my last 10 Genestealers bringing me to 72 total.

When the backlog is complete I'll have around 25k points of Tyranids fully painted!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Oh hey, Forgeworld announced the release of their new titanic Necron construct, it looked cool let me just see how mu--

:suicide:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PierreTheMime posted:

Oh hey, Forgeworld announced the release of their new titanic Necron construct, it looked cool let me just see how mu--

:suicide:

Yeah but check its rules....

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I feel like I’m looking at the back of it, that top part is just a barge/ark flipped around.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hyrophant mold with robit bits.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I need to paint my Sisters of Battle. I've made zero progress on them since stripping the old crappy paint off of them.

I want a painted army when the codex drops next year.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Are there variants within the SoB? Would you wait to see if there's a visual theme you're interested in?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

TheBigAristotle posted:

Are there variants within the SoB? Would you wait to see if there's a visual theme you're interested in?

Sort of. There are different paint schemes, and I'm moving towards "Sacred Rose."

White armor, red or black robes. This was changed between old Editions, old ones had black robes, new have red. Like the Sister and Immolator on the top illustrations:

In the past the only difference between Orders was aesthetics. But given the way GW does things now I strongly suspect that there will be some sort of "Chapter Tactics" thing in the upcoming codex. I'm not TOO concerned about competitiveness, but it would be nice not to pick the worst.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
I don't have all the many conversions, but I figured I'd reshare for the 8th thread my work on a Great Unclean One prior to the new model coming out. When the End Times (:laffo:) rolled around, the Maggoth was the perfect size and look for a Nurgle greater daemon/GUO. I didn't want a rider for it, though, so I decided those would be converted into some heralds with some green stuff and aluminum foil:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm just looking into chaos. Is there an "out of the box" model for a sorceror on a bike i'm missing? (Or something close everyone uses?)

The idea of a sorceror on a bike. The very IDEA of it. I'm screaming.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Nah you pretty much gotta buy a box of bikes, then stick a bunch of Sorcerer bits on one of them.

In 7th there was a special Sorcerer formation for chaos, a lot of people converted up squads of biker wizards to use it.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Clan Fokus for the Deathskulls

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm just looking into chaos. Is there an "out of the box" model for a sorceror on a bike i'm missing? (Or something close everyone uses?)

The idea of a sorceror on a bike. The very IDEA of it. I'm screaming.

you basically gotta saw a sorcerer in half and put his torso on some bike legs. The Ravenwing biker legs work really well for this too.

Here's the NL sorcerer on bike I made and painted in high school:

e: Thats the metal torso. I wouldn't recommend using one of those these days

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lungboy posted:

Yeah but check its rules....

M'Spreadsheet time. Against a Knight the Generator averages 7.3 wounds while the Obliterator averages 6.67, but I don't take into account that mortal wounds ignore armor saves so it's likely even further apart. The projector adds another 1.7 wounds on average, again not taking into account that mortal wounds ignore saves.

So they seem fairly balanced.

For those who were curious a Volcano Cannon averages 23.3 wounds on a Knight.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Loot It! is a hilarious strategem.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

M'Spreadsheet time. Against a Knight the Generator averages 7.3 wounds while the Obliterator averages 6.67, but I don't take into account that mortal wounds ignore armor saves so it's likely even further apart. The projector adds another 1.7 wounds on average, again not taking into account that mortal wounds ignore saves.

So they seem fairly balanced.
Yeah, we've seen the rules for it up to now, which looked nice and a fun Titanic addition to Necrons, which generally lack anti-armor unless you go heavy into Heavy Destroyers. But $300+ for a single Knight model is just... not viable? I can't imagine spending that much on a Knight-level model. Then again, the actual Knight models vary from $190-285 on their site--were they always so expensive?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

you basically gotta saw a sorcerer in half and put his torso on some bike legs. The Ravenwing biker legs work really well for this too.

Here's the NL sorcerer on bike I made and painted in high school:

e: Thats the metal torso. I wouldn't recommend using one of those these days

That rules and is the most 40k thing ever.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, we've seen the rules for it up to now, which looked nice and a fun Titanic addition to Necrons, which generally lack anti-armor unless you go heavy into Heavy Destroyers. But $300+ for a single Knight model is just... not viable? I can't imagine spending that much on a Knight-level model. Then again, the actual Knight models vary from $190-285 on their site--were they always so expensive?

Oh no it's absurdly costed, but that's because folks are used to comparing them to injected molded plastic Knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chiwie posted:

That rules and is the most 40k thing ever.

Thanks! I"ll have to take a new photo of him at some point since he's been touched up and repainted