Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That doesn't look familiar..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

uefi was a mistake

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Jeoh posted:

uefi was a mistake

the prevoius version of this behavior with the acpi key whose contents are executed with system privileges was:

the bios of the machine has a rudimentary understanding of the NTFS filesystem structure, and on boot, replaces a core windows component (autochk.exe) with the hardware manufacturer's version

lenovo did this, and this is how computrace works/worked

"bios silently replaces core windows component with possibly badly written lenovo version" is far worse, dont blame this on uefi

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

the EU version of the flo-rida hit, "Going Down Pour Real"

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lysidas posted:

the prevoius version of this behavior with the acpi key whose contents are executed with system privileges was:

the bios of the machine has a rudimentary understanding of the NTFS filesystem structure, and on boot, replaces a core windows component (autochk.exe) with the hardware manufacturer's version

does windows and/or the builtin windows AV do any checks for tampering like this?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

does windows and/or the builtin windows AV do any checks for tampering like this?

lol you know this behavior is used by some enterprise poo poo that they will never be able to break

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

geonetix posted:

I think the problem is worse since I believe a Swedish judge ruled an ip address is personal data and then the ECJ decided its conditional. the jurisprudence is all over the place

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, just don’t keep logs of them for too long

You can collect all the PII data you want as long as you delete it in 24hrs.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

You can collect all the PII data you want as long as you delete it in 24hrs.

Is there some amount of processing after which the data is no longer considered personally identifying?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

You can also collect any PII as long as you have a legitimate purpose for it and the definition of "legitimate" is broad as gently caress. Covers pretty much everything except marketing and collecting poo poo for literally no reason.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

ArcMage posted:

Is there some amount of processing after which the data is no longer considered personally identifying?

cat /dev/zero > pii.txt

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

oh right this systemd bug was also unveiled yesterday
https://twitter.com/_fel1x/status/1055534821957603329

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

are the recent new CVEs for systemd part of the stuff referred to earlier? because the dhcp6 one sounds hilarious.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Evis posted:

cat /dev/zero > pii.txt

I was going to say /dev/random, but theoretically everyone's PII is in there somewhere...

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
https://www.securepatterns.com/2018/10/cve-2018-14665-xorg-x-server.html

yikes

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You know what makes this funny? The reporter is an OpenBSD developer, but didn't report it to OpenBSD despite 6.4 being released recently. Notably, after Theo complained about Intel not informing OpenBSD.

Also, because FreeBSD is on xserver v1.18, it isn't vulnerable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ArcMage posted:

as long as you have no follow-up questions, the answer is “yes”

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

D. Ebdrup posted:

You know what makes this funny? The reporter is an OpenBSD developer, but didn't report it to OpenBSD despite 6.4 being released recently. Notably, after Theo complained about Intel not informing OpenBSD.

Also, because FreeBSD is on xserver v1.18, it isn't vulnerable.

nice

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

my god https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/10/26/windows-defender-antivirus-can-now-run-in-a-sandbox/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

who chose the name of that environment variable?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sounds good maybe?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/taviso/status/732365178872856577

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wasn't this thing driven by tavis and others on project zero doing like 80% of the heavy lifting just to prove a point that defender can and should be sandboxed

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

wasn't this thing driven by tavis and others on project zero doing like 80% of the heavy lifting just to prove a point that defender can and should be sandboxed
ya
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/1055876544768425985

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yes, but majority of vendors still aren't there, like Avast.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah the malware authors need to up their game to compete with the native offerings

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the only av product on the market worth a poo poo just got better

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

yeah the malware authors need to up their game to compete with the native offerings

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the only av product on the market worth a poo poo just got better
yeah this is the TLDR

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

remembner when he started a github project to fuzz windows libraries in linux and successfully demonstrated running windows defender on it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my boss seems to think that selling software that clients can run in their pc opens us to a risk of losing all the IP and our fancy algorithms when it gets decompiled/reverse-engineered (C#/C++)

thus we need to supply our own pc to the client with all the software already deployed etc.

but my limited knowledge of sec stuff tells me that this is seriously overreacting because a) physical access means game over anyways and b) we are contractually bound with the client so i am not sure why should the threat model include them loving us over and stealing the IP

(even then we can just deploy the software so that it contains the algorithms the customer has paid for)

all this started from me suggesting supplying/renting out a physical server as a legal way to be able to use gpl code without needing to distribute the source

i mean if decompilation and stealing trade secrets was so drat easy, how come companies can still sell software??

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
the people that are good at reverse engineering and disassembling software usually have much more lucrative work than trying to steal an entire line of business from another company

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
software has no value.

you pay for support/enhancements. the more useful the software, the more you can charge for support.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

software has no value.

you pay for support/enhancements. the more useful the software, the more you can charge for support.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

software has no value.

edited for complete accuracy

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

software has no value.

yeah did i mention that we seem to have no pricing plan for this stuff :downs:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Penisface posted:

all this started from me suggesting supplying/renting out a physical server as a legal way to be able to use gpl code without needing to distribute the source

how would that work? you’re still distributing the software, whether it’s on a hard drive or on a DVD or in firmware. that’s why the router companies have the GPL-afflicted downloads on their sites

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

how would that work? you’re still distributing the software, whether it’s on a hard drive or on a DVD or in firmware. that’s why the router companies have the GPL-afflicted downloads on their sites

i admit i am not familiar with the legalities, but the point was that we do not sell the hardware but instead rent it to the customer and take full responsibility for maintenance and what goes on inside - we could have the same software running in the cloud somewhere but supplying a physical box is necessary because internet access is not guaranteed and there are some real-time processing requirements

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Penisface posted:

i admit i am not familiar with the legalities, but the point was that we do not sell the hardware but instead rent it to the customer and take full responsibility for maintenance and what goes on inside - we could have the same software running in the cloud somewhere but supplying a physical box is necessary because internet access is not guaranteed and there are some real-time processing requirements

you still need to provide the GPL sources

you could put it all on the box itself and have them sign some sort of NDA or something I guess?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wasn't tivo doing this literally why GPL 3 was made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

you still need to provide the GPL sources

you could put it all on the box itself and have them sign some sort of NDA or something I guess?

i am not sure how our thing differs from a client-server solution like google or amazon, and this should allow for network use without distribution (except agpl)

Shame Boy posted:

wasn't tivo doing this literally why GPL 3 was made

tivo was preventing users from running modified (i.e. DRM disabled) software on hardware that the users bought - our case is different as the customer would not own the hardware and as per the contract, we would provide any support or modifications to the hardware and software

sorry for the derail, thanks for backing up my world view that nobody sane would steal this niche software through decompiling

• Locked thread