Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
welp, semiaccurate is kill.

Intel responds:

https://twitter.com/intelnews/status/1054397715071651841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Consistently*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s correct as written.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Subjunctive posted:

It’s correct as written.

No, it's not. "Consistent" modifies "improving" in that sentence, so it should be an adverb.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, it's not. "Consistent" modifies "improving" in that sentence, so it should be an adverb.

Then "with the timeline we shared" doesn't mean anything at all. What it actually needs is a comma to split it into two phrases: [Yields are improving], [consistent with the timeline we shared during our last earnings report].

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It doesn’t mean it’s increasing consistently (in the same manner repeatedly). It means it’s increasing in a way that matches the plan. “Consistent with the timeline” is an adverbial phrase, and the correct and common usage. “Consistently with” would be awkward and unusual for that meaning.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
AMD CPU and Platform: Pedantly discussing Intel

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
EDIT: wrong thread

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Wooper posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom: Pedantly discussing Intel

Don't remove platfrom :colbert:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Subjunctive posted:

It doesn’t mean it’s increasing consistently (in the same manner repeatedly). It means it’s increasing in a way that matches the plan. “Consistent with the timeline” is an adverbial phrase, and the correct and common usage. “Consistently with” would be awkward and unusual for that meaning.

I think you'll find it should be "consistentally" since it follows the silent oxford comma, and thus requires the subjunctive gerund articulation.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

pixaal posted:

Don't remove platfrom :colbert:
I hope platfrom is forever remembered.

I just got a "cheap" deal on 2 * 8GB sticks of Flare X, cas 14. On eBay UK.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
As long as Ryzen lives I shall keep the Platfrom beacon kindled

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Live by the process die by the process

Intel was bound to gently caress up at some point. 14nm++++ is a very mature foundry 10nm class process and they are milking it for all she's got.

7nm foundry will probably be competitive with it or better, though maybe not until the 7nm with euv.

Competitions back!!!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SPOOKCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I just got a "cheap" deal on 2 * 8GB sticks of Flare X, cas 14. On eBay UK.

I love this RAM.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That is a prophetic site name :v:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Really out of the loop. Is there any idea if the Zen 2/Ryzen 3X00 are going to use the AM4 socket? Also is the current rumor for the Zen 2's launch Q1 or Q2 2019?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

MH Knights posted:

Really out of the loop. Is there any idea if the Zen 2/Ryzen 3X00 are going to use the AM4 socket? Also is the current rumor for the Zen 2's launch Q1 or Q2 2019?

Yes, and we don’t know but possibly later so they can get it to more profitable markets first.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
AMD committed to supporting AM4 until 2020.

At CES this year, AMD confirmed that Zen 2's design was complete, but did not offer a release date. They are sampling now. Could be 2019, could be 2020, we don't know.

The next socket AMD comes out with will have DDR5 and PCIe 4.0. Is this next socket AM5? Or is it TR5/SP3? We also don't know.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SwissArmyDruid posted:

AMD committed to supporting AM4 until 2020.

Keep in mind this means selling some AM4 products until 2020. If, say, the halo products moved to a new socket while 4/6 core chips continued to use AM4, that technically counts as “support”.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Craptacular! posted:

Keep in mind this means selling some AM4 products until 2020. If, say, the halo products moved to a new socket while 4/6 core chips continued to use AM4, that technically counts as “support”.

All of this and an emptyquote, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

btw AMD posted their financials and actually turned a profit again! A fairly slim one, but for AMD, that's a victory. Up 12% year over year, but down 14% quarter over quarter from crypto and their graphics in general tanking. They also announced they are going to be under expectations next quarter, too. Accordingly, the stock is getting absolutely blasted, down 16% at the moment.

They did say that their 7nm Vega for deeplearning/datacenter part will hit before calendar years end.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
"We posted a profit!" "SELL SELL SELL" "....but why though!?"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Investors wanted larger profits. They heard all the hype about Zen crushing Intel and wanted Intel level profits. They don't understand how the chip market works.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They don't understand how the chip market works, or they are basing all of their faulty knowledge of how the chip market works based on Intel?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, they were (and still are) comically overvalued. They are valued like they are a company 10+ times bigger than what they are. It wouldnt surprise me if they keep sliding.

They are doing better for sure, but the graphics division is dead at the moment and both the volume (laptops) and margin (server) markets aren't going to just flip to AMD overnight. They will need to stay competitive with Intel for an extended period to make inroads there.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's going to take years for AMD to reach the market value at the best case. Remember, AMD was under $3 a few years ago, and under $10 this year. It was valued at over $30, that much growth requires massive innovation, which AMD hit with Zen. The problem is, that innovation was just catching up to the only other player in the market that was a decade ahead of them and they didn't really pass Intel.

Their real value is probably closer to $15 than the current $20 even accounting for expected growth.

Really what you are seeing is competing stock ideologies that AMD looked good in and some it no longer does. One is going to be earnings per share and AMD's value went way up since they bought, after the posting they saw that AMD was no longer a good earnings:share so they are selling off to buy something else. With the reduced price right now there could be panic sellers, or some other formula might now see AMD as a good buy at the $4 discount and the price goes up.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Yeah, they were (and still are) comically overvalued.

I read a few AMD news stories a few months ago on my phone, and ever since then google pushed a whole lot of bullish "buy AMD stock" articles at me. I don't look at any other financial / stock market stuff on my phone. I think AMD stock was clearly in some kind of trending loop that kept it hyped up.

(With the power of the cloud we can make stock bubbles faster than ever before!)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Crypto fell essentially to zero, they missed their Epyc sales targets, and they had a lot of one-time semicustom revenue last quarter from changing how they did their accounts-receivable that is missing from the balance sheet this time around. Essentially, all the stuff I said 3 months ago.

Also, forecasts don't really translate into stock movement, it's the difference between the forecasts and market expectations. If you forecast 1.45 billion next quarter but traders expected you to forecast 1.6 billion (real numbers), that 1.6 billion is already priced in and your stock drops. Buy the rumor, sell the news. I know that's basic but that's probably the biggest thing here... AMD was expected to be a breakout and they only met their forecast. Wall Street's a bitch.

Tech stocks are also down in general.

Zen is a good product but that's really almost all AMD has going for it. I'd think a lot of the stock value is coming from future expectations, and if they don't execute that upward trajectory well their stock will suffer. I don't have a crystal ball that lets me see the future, but the runup since early last year was insane, $AMD increased 20-fold in practically a year, a correction was inevitable (easy to say in hindsight of course).

The minutia of stock prices don't really matter for the long-term trajectories here, Zen's marketshare and AMD's price are both going upwards in the long term.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 25, 2018

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Are there any reviews comparing a Ryzen 2700X to an i5 9600K? They are essentially the same price, when factoring in the cost of a cooler for the i5, so I was wondering how they compare.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

MH Knights posted:

Are there any reviews comparing a Ryzen 2700X to an i5 9600K? They are essentially the same price, when factoring in the cost of a cooler for the i5, so I was wondering how they compare.

Ryzen 2700x is popular precisely because it is incredible value for money, the reality is that in gaming even an i5 8400 beats it.
I am going to assume you just want to play PC games - if you can get the 9600k for the same price you should buy that instead

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're gaming you should really be looking at the 2600, but yeah, what the guy above said, with the caveat that the difference really only shows itself if you're going over 100 fps.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Well that if you game at 1080p or less.

If you game at 1440p+ generally the difference between AMD and Intel is negligible and the video card becomes the real bottleneck for almost any game made in the last 3-5yr.

Paul MaudDib posted:

they missed their Epyc sales targets,
Actually they said they're getting double digit percentage growth in Epyc sales over Q2 2018 for Q3 2018.

They blamed the reduction in revenue on a lack of GPU sales partially due to crypto falling apart and partially because they don't have good parts to compete with NV. You were quite DOOM N' GLOOM about the effect that would have and that doesn't really seem to have occurred at all revenue-wise.

Stocks are another matter but stock prices have little to do with reality much of the time.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 25, 2018

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Actually they said they're getting double digit percentage growth in Epyc sales over Q2 2018 for Q3 2018.

Enterprise/Embedded/Semi-Custom saw growth from Q2 to Q3, but was somehow still worse year over year during a period where their competitor is failing to deliver their product.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Which isn't the same Epyc sales doing poorly. By all accounts they're selling everything they make. That is a lot of stuff that is being grouped and counted with server CPU's there. So Epyc CPU sales can go up but the group as a whole can still go down if other stuff doesn't do as well.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

People looking for rationality in the stock market smdh

I get using leaks that get posted ITT to try to make some money if you have some to burn, but :cmon:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

People looking for rationality in the stock market smdh

I get using leaks that get posted ITT to try to make some money if you have some to burn, but :cmon:
A company worth $8-$12 depending on how long you plan on betting on them was somehow valued at almost $30. Even accounting for how inflated most stocks are, anything over $14-$18 is just baffling.

If you had insider news that they will have a competitive GPU in the next 2 years then I guess mid-high teens might be reasonable, but even then they will have trouble competing with nvidia because for compute CUDA is steam rolling OpenCL in ecosystem, adoption, and pleasantness to work with.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 26, 2018

Bloody Antlers
Mar 27, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Intel loyalists are suddenly serious face stock market experts ITT.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Then they should also be down on Intel because Samsung has 7nm ULV, and Intel doesn't.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bloody Antlers posted:

I'm not an expert at anything. No one should take stock advice from me, but the good news is I didn't advise anything actionable. AMD stock showed all the signs of a bubble: tech-ignorant analysts downgrading intel and saying buy buy buy amd like they're in some market with endless growth potential, random dudes saying 'i sold at $8 and now am buying again at 3x as much' , and others saying 'I always liked AMD and now that they have a good product I'm buying stock'. I sold my shares. It continued to climb well past what I sold it for and now it's a bit lower than what I sold it for. That's all there is to it, honestly.

AMD is capable of growth and shouldn't blow up anytime soon. They should consistently gain market share and have great quarters unless they really botch the zen2 launch. I really see AMD growing and doing well as a company for years to come. I also see Intel as perhaps blundering even more than I thought at the time. The problem is the highly speculative share price now vs the company's actual value vs what I perceive their growth potential in the market to be doesn't check out at all. That's why I sold what I perceive to be a healthy and growing company.

I plan on buying AMD cpus whenever reasonable. They're more pro-consumer than intel. Still, I'll buy from the company that provides the best product for my needs. It's a machine that performs tasks.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bloody Antlers posted:

You don't have to be a loyalist or serious face stock expert to say that the stock market is irrational or that tech benchmarks equate directly to what a stock will do

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 29, 2018