Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

I couldn't tell you. My fan is my white noise machine. :v:

I must need a louder fan then. Can you still buy surplus engines from Russian MiGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

crazypeltast52 posted:

I have family from southern California and they love seeing deer in the midwest. I did tell them how to properly hit deer if they were driving and one ran into the road. (Speed up, always speed up)

Deer are dumb as poo poo and now I have to worry about them also having wasting disease. In Michigan it's not a question of if you'll ever hit a deer, it's when. (Christmas Eve, driving to grandma's house, 1994.)

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I never realized this till it came up earlier in this thread but I'm responsible for the sidewalk in front of my house. That seems.. bad, to me, there's no verge after the sidewalk, I don't think I even own the property it's on, and I have nothing to do with its condition. Just a way for the city to avoid an expense, I guess, but the result is a constant variation in sidewalk quality and condition as you walk down any block in the city.

Yeah, it pisses me off because I live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks and there is huge opposition to them because people don't want to pay to maintain them. There's is a busy street separating the neighborhood from the commercial area, and I can't let my kids walk to the store because there is no safe way for them to walk there.

therobit fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 25, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sirotan posted:

Deer are dumb as poo poo and now I have to worry about them also having wasting disease. In Michigan it's not a question of if you'll ever hit a deer, it's when. (Christmas Eve, driving to grandma's house, 1994.)

I hit a deer in Michigan around 1997 and it completely messed my car up. Took it in to get it fixed and borrowed my dad's car the next day for work. Hit another deer. Giant cockroaches.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

therobit posted:

Yeah, it pisses me off because I live in a neighborhood with no sidewalks and there is huge opposition to them because people don't want to pay to maintain them. There's is a busy street separating the neighborhood from the commercial area, and I can't let my kids walk to the store because there is no safe way for them to walk there.

I just walk through people’s yards at that point, gently caress it and gently caress them

I understand if that’s not an attitude you want to intentionally nurture in your children though.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hauki posted:

I just walk through people’s yards at that point, gently caress it and gently caress them

I understand if that’s not an attitude you want to intentionally nurture in your children though.

There is probably still a right of way even if there is no sidewalk.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sirotan posted:

Can you not report them? My city has an ordinance requiring you to clear snow from your sidewalk within 24 hours after 1 inch or more has fallen. If you don't you'll get a warning, and if you ignore that you get a $50 fine. There's a website and a phone number where you can report your lazy neighbors.

Yea you can, but nothing actually happens if they have it cleared by the time someone comes around to check the complaint, which can be a while. It also only really helps if the situation is someone is being lazy (I report businesses all the time for this reason). If the problem is that someone isn't capable of shoveling, fining doesn't really do anything about it. Like if my neighbor slipped on ice yesterday and fractured their wrist, getting them fined doesn't really do anything besides make their day worse. I'd prefer the city just cleared public ways themselves and raised my property taxes instead. :shrug:

Second best is when various agencies disagree over who has responsibility for a specific area, so no one will touch it. There was a bridge that was a constant dispute between the city public works dept. and the state highway division and the pedestrian portion stayed covered until a city councillor just sent his office to deal with it.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ashcans posted:

Like if my neighbor slipped on ice yesterday and fractured their wrist, getting them fined doesn't really do anything besides make their day worse. I'd prefer the city just cleared public ways themselves and raised my property taxes instead. :shrug:

So be neighborly and go clear it for them? :shrug:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh yes the downside of huge old sidewalks.

I have roughly 470’ if frontage at a high traffic corner. I can’t get my plough guy to clear it for me for any price.

When it snows bad I clear it one shovel width and it still takes forever.

I should get a 40” snow thrower....

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Well we did it. We own a big pile of dirt that in 6-8 months will become our house.

Now to stay married through the design studio selections. Grant me strength please

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Ashcans posted:

If the problem is that someone isn't capable of shoveling, fining doesn't really do anything about it.

It does if it is cheaper to hire someone to clear it than to pay the fine. In Ann Arbor it was common to pay someone to plow/snowblow the sidewalks and split the cost with the neighborhood, and some people paid for their driveways too.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

lampey posted:

It does if it is cheaper to hire someone to clear it than to pay the fine. In Ann Arbor it was common to pay someone to plow/snowblow the sidewalks and split the cost with the neighborhood, and some people paid for their driveways too.

If only everyone in Ann Arbor could pool their resources and hire people to do all the sidewalks :thunk:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

If only everyone in Ann Arbor could pool their resources and hire people to do all the sidewalks :thunk:

That sounds like communism, friend.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wife looked at the listing for a house 6 houses down from us this afternoon and sent it to me at work at 230. Nice fenced in back yard, etc, about 1200 sq ft more than our current one and a massive 3 car garage, hell yeah. It’s actually our cat’s vet’s house, amusingly.

We called one of her friends that has a realtor license and got a showing at 6pm.

She’s writing up the offer right now, full asking with no contingency because of course they have an offer with contingency that got submitted today.

I’m surprisingly calm about this, we’ve been planning on a move or home addition for a while and this house checks all the boxes, and there isn’t anything other than cosmetic stuff that we would change.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

That sounds like communism, friend.

Sounds like an HOA. If you want to give up your freedom and personal sovereignty you might as well go full out and invite a gang of old busybodies to rule over what color blinds you can hang in your windows.

Speaking of taxes, Bloomberg is ready to call the peak of housing prices in the North East: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-10-25/housing-market-is-tanking-in-the-northeast Personally, I highly, highly doubt the vast majority of homebuyers have enough financial savvy to understand the nuance of how the TCJA will affect them nor are they future looking enough to realize that their rebate will be less next year, but I guess any gloom and doom sells ads.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

Sounds like an HOA. If you want to give up your freedom and personal sovereignty you might as well go full out and invite a gang of old busybodies to rule over what color blinds you can hang in your windows.

Speaking of taxes, Bloomberg is ready to call the peak of housing prices in the North East: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-10-25/housing-market-is-tanking-in-the-northeast Personally, I highly, highly doubt the vast majority of homebuyers have enough financial savvy to understand the nuance of how the TCJA will affect them nor are they future looking enough to realize that their rebate will be less next year, but I guess any gloom and doom sells ads.

No the HOA would just fine you for not shoveling, they wouldn't actually remove the snow

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah wtf an HOA is just the bureaucracy without any of the action of a helpful community. It's the antithesis of community.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

I’m actually a little worried about this, as many of you who recognize me for my constant property tax ranting may have guessed.

When I bought a few years ago near Cleveland I knew the taxes on my 250k house were ~12k, and my state and local income taxes would be around 10k, but it was all deductible.

Not only did I lose a huge deduction for 2017, I didn’t even benefit from the reduced top rate because fell into AMT territory. Which would fine if it wasn’t going to help the Devos family buy their 9th yacht.

But these high taxes are one of the things that keeps actual house prices down here, so without the deduction I’m a little worried the market here will collapse.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m actually a little worried about this, as many of you who recognize me for my constant property tax ranting may have guessed.

Not only did I lose a huge deduction for 2017, I didn’t even benefit from the reduced top rate because fell into AMT territory. Which would fine if it wasn’t going to help the Devos family buy their 9th yacht.

Have you actually run the numbers? I obviously don't know your exact financial situation, but the vast majority of taxpayers (90%+) will see a tax cut for 2018. Between the lower tax rates, higher standard deduction, and better child tax credit (higher phaseout), about the only taxpayers that will pay substantially more are high-income, high-tax-state-residents with massive mortgage interest.

Partisan politics aside, it's actually one of the first tax cut bills in as long as I can remember that will actually, significantly benefit most middle/upper-middle taxpayers (who normally get screwed.) Hell, the fact that most won't have to itemize is probably worth billions in man-hours saved alone.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

Have you actually run the numbers? I obviously don't know your exact financial situation, but the vast majority of taxpayers (90%+) will see a tax cut for 2018. Between the lower tax rates, higher standard deduction, and better child tax credit (higher phaseout), about the only taxpayers that will pay substantially more are high-income, high-tax-state-residents with massive mortgage interest.

Partisan politics aside, it's actually one of the first tax cut bills in as long as I can remember that will actually, significantly benefit most middle/upper-middle taxpayers (who normally get screwed.) Hell, the fact that most won't have to itemize is probably worth billions in man-hours saved alone.

It would be a wash if not for AMT. I’m unmarried with no dependents, 95% of my earnings come from wages, and yet I still have to pay AMT lol. My accountant told me to get married or have some kids.

Seriously our tax system is broken.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

It would be a wash if not for AMT. I’m unmarried with no dependents, 95% of my earnings come from wages, and yet I still have to pay AMT lol. My accountant told me to get married or have some kids.

Seriously our tax system is broken.

It seriously is but not for the reasons you state. Invest in guillotines.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Elephanthead posted:

It seriously is but not for the reasons you state. Invest in guillotines.

I mean I shouldn’t be hitting the tax dodgers penalty tax as someone with no meaningful deductions other than SALT paying the full single rate on wages.

Not saying I should pay less in tax, it just points out how easily I could drastically reduce my tax bill if I was a typical married person with kids.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

No the HOA would just fine you for not shoveling, they wouldn't actually remove the snow

Depends on the HOA. My last HOA removed all snow from sidewalks and driveways.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Offer accepted!

poo poo, I guess we shouldn’t have gone drinking before the showing. :v:

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

B-Nasty posted:

Losing the above-the-board student loan interest deduction is a big ole kick in the nuts, though. It zeroes out any benefit I would otherwise see.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Married homeowner with kids used to be the ultimate tax break. Last year I think I paid an effective 9% federal income tax

This year might be even less due to the tax law changes regarding the tax credits for kids.

Thing is I didn’t need a tax break though, but that’s another thread.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

Married homeowner with kids used to be the ultimate tax break. Last year I think I paid an effective 9% federal income tax

This year might be even less due to the tax law changes regarding the tax credits for kids.

Thing is I didn’t need a tax break though, but that’s another thread.

lol I paid 21% effective rate.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jealous Cow posted:

I mean I shouldn’t be hitting the tax dodgers penalty tax as someone with no meaningful deductions other than SALT paying the full single rate on wages.

Not saying I should pay less in tax, it just points out how easily I could drastically reduce my tax bill if I was a typical married person with kids.

This is by design. The federal government incentivizes population growth for a bunch of reasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

This is by design. The federal government incentivizes population growth for a bunch of reasons.

It also incentivizes tax breaks for likely voters over tax breaks for unlikely voters.

Tax policy that punishes young people who are less likely to be married or have dependents or own homes and also less likely to turn out and vote out the people who screw them with tax. Married, home-owning heads of family are worth pandering to.

It's also not a coincidence that virtually all elected officials are home-owning married (white men) with dependents.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Question about a standard 30 year fixed vs 7/1 ARM loan. We're weight the pros and cons of each. It looks like my APR on a standard 30 year fixed is 5%, 4.4% on a 7/1. That makes me think that the better option is the 30 year fixed, correct? I'm not sure what direction interests rates are going to be in 7 years, and the spread doesn't seem huge. Am I thinking about this the right way?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I could be way off base on this but the only time I can imagine an ARM being superior is if you have enough cash to pay off the loan at any point in time.

Edit: I realize our brethren up north don't have that option, but at least in comparison to a fixed 30 year.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 29, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Question about a standard 30 year fixed vs 7/1 ARM loan. We're weight the pros and cons of each. It looks like my APR on a standard 30 year fixed is 5%, 4.4% on a 7/1. That makes me think that the better option is the 30 year fixed, correct? I'm not sure what direction interests rates are going to be in 7 years, and the spread doesn't seem huge. Am I thinking about this the right way?

The fed is pretty open about the direction of rates. (up) Lock it in now. If they drop you can always refinance.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

H110Hawk posted:

The fed is pretty open about the direction of rates. (up) Lock it in now. If they drop you can always refinance.

Ok, that's the impression I was under, as I understand the fed does try to give people a fairly good idea of where they want to go.

Now to convince myself that buying is a good idea.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

More of a selling question, but figured I'd ask you guys.

Closing on my house next week, I bought a bathmat and bath rug for my bathroom that were decoration only - just used them when there was a showing, and used my normal older one for actual showing. Since they're unused, should I leave them for the new owners and let them know? Or is that a not hygenic thing and probably just throw away/take with me to new house.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Anything not nailed down to the floor is yours unless the contract says otherwise (and even then the definition of "fixture" is modified by your contract language) so it's not like the buyers are gonna miss the bathrug if it's gone. Indeed, most contracts spell out that all movable chattel needs to be gone before the closing so the safest thing is to take it with you if you like it or chuck it if you don't. Unless this is a really nice bathrug made from the finest alpaca hairs I don't think it's worth dwelling on.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Medullah posted:

Closing on my house next week, I bought a bathmat and bath rug for my bathroom that were decoration only - just used them when there was a showing, and used my normal older one for actual showing. Since they're unused, should I leave them for the new owners and let them know? Or is that a not hygenic thing and probably just throw away/take with me to new house.

I find that being nice to people in 2018 usually turns out badly

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

kw0134 posted:

Anything not nailed down to the floor is yours unless the contract says otherwise (and even then the definition of "fixture" is modified by your contract language) so it's not like the buyers are gonna miss the bathrug if it's gone. Indeed, most contracts spell out that all movable chattel needs to be gone before the closing so the safest thing is to take it with you if you like it or chuck it if you don't. Unless this is a really nice bathrug made from the finest alpaca hairs I don't think it's worth dwelling on.

Droo posted:

I find that being nice to people in 2018 usually turns out badly

Thanks. My bathroom is bright red because I never repainted so the matching bright red bathmat isn't going to really fit in the new place :D

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Medullah posted:

My mom would say something about finding it presumptuous that the new people would have your same taste in bath rugs... she's probably right though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Medullah posted:

If the worst thing you do when you move out is "forget" a couple of bath mats then you're fine. Don't overthink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My PO left me a dead car battery, rotting lawn chairs, a broken dryer, and a falling apart bench in my garage. I wouldn't have minded if they left a few bathmats. Those are easy to get rid of at least.