Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
zed shaw almost hits the stereotype of the dude who comes into a project, says all the code is bad, rewrites 50% of it, then storms out in a huff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
i mean sure enough there was the whole

- ruby is a ghetto

- i wrote an http parser and that makes me a genius

- python 3 isn't magically compatible with python 2 and that makes them technically incompetent

- copying and pasting things into the computer is a good way to learn programming

- python won't take my library and promise not to change things so i'm done now

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tef posted:

- python 3 isn't magically compatible with python 2 and that makes them technically incompetent

I found an even more insufferable page about that

quote:

In 1991 the initial version of Python was released and there were subsequent versions after that up to version 2.7. In 2008 a program was released which claimed, falsely, to be Python and which was supposed to replace Python 2.7. We won't even dignify it by name. Around here we call it imp-o-thon, imposter python.

So, what makes us think that imp-o-thon isn't Python? There are two Really Great clues:

1. It won't handle programs written in Python. That's right. A Python interpreter that won't interpret Python. Insert emoji of rolling eyes.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont know who that is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I like python and in fact call my Weiner a python and when I discuss my sex life I confuse my friends when I saw I gently caress pythonically

screaming spaces not tabs when I jizz

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
echi please go to bed and sober up ty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s 2pm i at work checking precriptins

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

i dont know who that is

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

tef posted:

zed shaw almost hits the stereotype of the dude who comes into a project, says all the code is bad, rewrites 50% of it, then storms out in a huff

lol we absolutely have this guy

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

echinopsis posted:

don't dox yourself Hawaiian ghost

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

By "checking precriptins" do you mean "sampling an array of prescription drugs"?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wrote a bunch of python2 at a previous job, then didnt write much python for like 5 years

when i had to write some scripts at my current job i went with 3 cause why not, and i havent run into any problems except sometimes forgetting to put parentheses on print

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
sometimes u gotta bytes insteada string

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

python 3 is stupid as hell, but not so much from a pl perspective as from a software lifecycle perspective: the universe of code written in python2 was and is *vastly* more valuable than the poo poo python implementation in itself, and the maintainers trying to dictate the direction of the entire universe of python code is stupid as hell

the maintainers are of course free to live their lives and all that, can't force them to work on things they don't want to, but i am also free to point out that in the role of "maintainer" they have failed so spectacularly that they certainly should never again be trusted

part of the issue of course that the change played into a couple of different (bad) nerd tendencies along the lines of not being able to stand being on anything but the latest version, taking deep offense at inconsistencies that don't matter, and hero worship for the people behind some types of projects

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

python 3 is 10 years old now and its objectively a better language ignoring a universe of throwaway code, people need to get with the times and argue about important poo poo (like build tools)

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Helicity posted:

important poo poo (like build tools)
have you heard about maven

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

python 3 is stupid as hell, but not so much from a pl perspective as from a software lifecycle perspective: the universe of code written in python2 was and is *vastly* more valuable than the poo poo python implementation in itself, and the maintainers trying to dictate the direction of the entire universe of python code is stupid as hell

the maintainers are of course free to live their lives and all that, can't force them to work on things they don't want to, but i am also free to point out that in the role of "maintainer" they have failed so spectacularly that they certainly should never again be trusted

part of the issue of course that the change played into a couple of different (bad) nerd tendencies along the lines of not being able to stand being on anything but the latest version, taking deep offense at inconsistencies that don't matter, and hero worship for the people behind some types of projects

nah

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
2to3 was a mistake, `six` worked

changing the c-abi and the language at the same time broke things unnecessarily

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
people said the same things about VB.net, called it VB.Not and such. so what, legacy VB was trash

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Python 3 and python 2 are two different programming languages with similar names so I can see why people might get confused.

Not sure why the creators of python 2 are suddenly out to kill it tho. Doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in the ecosystem.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Nice meltdown

mystes
May 31, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

people said the same things about VB.net, called it VB.Not and such. so what, legacy VB was trash
Legacy VB was trash but c# is already effectively the .net version of VB and VB.net shouldn't exist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also most of the whining about python 3 is by people who are upset that they can't continue to make broken software by blithely pretending that bytes and characters are the same thing.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
python 3 is almost exactly the same as 2, just do whatever you linter tells you to do and that's it

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
or just stop writing all your software in a brittle language full of runtime type errors

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Python 3 and python 2 are two different programming languages with similar names so I can see why people might get confused.

Not sure why the creators of python 2 are suddenly out to kill it tho. Doesn't inspire a whole lot of confidence in the ecosystem.

yeah, this is very much the view i'd take

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

this is a monumentally stupid view

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

rt4 posted:

or just stop writing all your software in a brittle language full of runtime type errors

why do dynamically typed languages even exist

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Worse is better.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

why would someone still hesitate to use python 3?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Toady posted:

javascript is more popular

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

because people just can't get over the convenience of being able to write code that is, on some possible execution path, wrong

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Doom Mathematic posted:

Worse is better.

"""Worse""" is undeniably more economical for some problems and teams.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i can bang out dirty node services really quick partly due to the fact that there isn't a lot of overhead with type definitions being involved. it's not a good fit for every situation, but when it works it works.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In the past lots of statically typed languages have been really verbose and unpleasant to write without autocompletion (e.g. no type inference), lacked REPLs, and been really inconvenient to use for simple scripts. None of these have anything to do with being statically typed, but I think they did a lot to drive people to languages like python.

It's dumb because all these issues are really easy to fix.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
python not being statically typed is also being fixed

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Toady posted:

over python 2? there are no valid reasons other than being pegged to a legacy codebase stuck in py2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mystes posted:

In the past lots of statically typed languages have been really verbose and unpleasant to write without autocompletion (e.g. no type inference), lacked REPLs, and been really inconvenient to use for simple scripts. None of these have anything to do with being statically typed, but I think they did a lot to drive people to languages like python.

It's dumb because all these issues are really easy to fix.

it's this. imo in 2018 best of two worlds is when language can work dynamically, but enforcing static type on ad-hoc basis is always an option

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what if ... get this ... the type system only allowed you to write the exact program that u need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gazpacho posted:

what if ... get this ... the type system only allowed you to write the exact program that u need

what if i dont know the program i need :thunk: