Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

wolrah posted:

Germany says otherwise, and they're right. The first-gen Audi TT actually got recalled to add a spoiler because it generated enough lift to become unstable north of 100 MPH.

I swear, the only reason there's a "raise spoiler" switch on half the cars out there, is their activation speed is essentially evidence of speeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
100 MPH is not a speed at which vehicles should be operated on public roads, but the vast majority the drivers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

FrozenVent posted:

100 MPH is not a speed at which vehicles should be operated on public roads, but the vast majority the drivers.

Like a T6 Texan? Too soon?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Today I learned a lesson regarding troubleshooting with people you don't normally work with; if someone says the pitot heat is off, make sure they touch the pitot before you

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

100MPH is probably a normal speed for a modern Audi on the autobahn.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Its legal on some German highways. Highest speed limit in the US is 85 right now too so thats pretty close as well.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
North Dakota is the only place I've ever seen anyone drive 100mph.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Even yourself?

I’ve seen above 100 in well... every state I’ve lived and also trips to Europe and the middle east. It’s not super common but people do it regularly enough on highways and such.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mortabis posted:

It's pretty easy to do in the Nevada desert in a rented Charger.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mortabis posted:

Tennessee (was in the car for that one), Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, Florida, Iowa, Nevada are the ones I personally measured. Probably seen it in a half dozen more, all on public roads.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Midjack posted:

Tennessee (was in the car for that one), Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, North Carolina, Florida, Iowa, Nevada are the ones I personally measured. Probably seen it in a half dozen more, all on public roads.

Never drive above 80mph in Virginia. Just don't do it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The state where there's a chance you'll have to report your speeding ticket to your SSO.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I’m the “g” that goes over the cage but under the bird, which is in turn under the cage.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I’m the “g” that goes over the cage but under the bird, which is in turn under the cage.

The G loop snakes inside the cage, letting the bird know that while a cage sucks, it could be the noose next.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pepsi Plant used to be such a happening spot, too.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I made a wrong turn at the pepsi plant on I77 once and almost missed Watch Hillbillies Watch Hippies Jump Off A Bridge Day

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been up to 95 on the Interstate as driver (in my rusty Ford Explorer which was very not safe) and 125 as passenger (in a police Camaro).

I keep it under 75 now because I'm not 22 anymore and gas is expensive.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just don’t speed in Virginia period outside of a metro area, they have insane fines for even 5 over.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Just don’t speed in Virginia period outside of a metro area, they have insane fines for even 5 over.

The best part about speeding in the sticks in VA are the signs advertising traffic lawyers openly mocking you for being dumb enough to go 81 in a 70.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hobbesmaster posted:

>15 over is automatic reckless driving. Three reckless driving tickets is automatic jail time. Three reckless driving tickets in six months means most insurers consider you uninsurable in Virginia. You can get your license back by paying $500/year in "uninsured bond" to the statecommonwealth.

Because of the amazingly quick processing time in tickets, you can find out about all of these things in one weekend seven months after your third ticket when your first ticket starts to process and the system notes two other pending tickets against that license number.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you want to drive unreasonably fast on the east coast of the US the place to do it is on US 52 near the santee cooper lakes in SC. 5 straight flat miles without so much as a driveway and no law enforcement because it crosses 3 counties.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

>15 over is automatic reckless driving. Three reckless driving tickets is automatic jail time. Three reckless driving tickets in six months means most insurers consider you uninsurable in Virginia. You can get your license back by paying $500/year in "uninsured bond" to the statecommonwealth.

Because of the amazingly quick processing time in tickets, you can find out about all of these things in one weekend seven months after your third ticket when your first ticket starts to process and the system notes two other pending tickets against that license number.
Guess you shouldn't have been doing *ILLEGAL THINGS*

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Even yourself?

I’ve seen above 100 in well... every state I’ve lived and also trips to Europe and the middle east. It’s not super common but people do it regularly enough on highways and such.

I live in Virginia, I am conditioned never to go that fast

e: folks if you lawyer up they'll let you plead down the reckless driving every time, just fyi

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 26, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I live in Virginia, I am conditioned never to go that fast

Rekt.

I generally speed a hell of a lot less than when I was younger, but your speeding risk management sometimes changes when faced with hundreds of miles across the American Southwest. Or when you really know a spot of empty desert highway without good sightlines to cop hides.

Texas is where I went fastest, reaching "unsafe purely from aero perspective" speeds.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a ~40 minute drive to and from work every day, and most podcasts are like 45 minutes. So I'm hanging in the right lane in my Focus ST these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Plinkey posted:

I have a ~40 minute drive to and from work every day, and most podcasts are like 45 minutes. So I'm hanging in the right lane in my Focus ST these days.

Start it while brushing your teeth or whatever.

As a bonus, this makes it easier to skip the advertisements at the beginning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

e: folks if you lawyer up they'll let you plead down the reckless driving every time, just fyi

Lawyers are one of those super OP moves that people with $50-400 sitting around for a lawyer can use to be road assholes forever if they want to.

Platystemon posted:

Start it while brushing your teeth or whatever.

Morning routine step 1: Either wake up 5 minutes before my alarm or with the alarm (silent alarm).

Step 2: Buds in, podcast on.

Step 3: Feed cats without having to listen to Frank meow at me about how I need to feed him faster.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Lawyers are one of those super OP moves that people with $50-400 sitting around for a lawyer can use to be road assholes forever if they want to.

Yes, it means if you can afford a lawyer you get away with doing an annoying saturday defensive driving class and if you can't you ride the bus.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Yes, it means if you can afford a lawyer you get away with doing an annoying saturday defensive driving class and if you can't you ride the bus.

Yeah. hosed up bit of the ole regressive US fine system!

Pretty sure without the power of lawyers making things go away, my wife might've lost her license or been put on probation when we were younger and she got into motorcycles before kind of cooling it with the throttle use.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Still illegal for radar detectors in Va?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

Yup

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joke is one them.

I have a RADAR detector detector detector.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

hobbesmaster posted:

Its legal on some German highways. Highest speed limit in the US is 85 right now too so thats pretty close as well.

vvv genuinely no idea, I’m just a really big fan of that wording and use it regularly in my day to day :v:

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 26, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Montana in the 90s?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Syrian Lannister posted:

As others have said, yes they are, which is funny because I'm pretty sure the VAStaPo has fully converted to Ka band short-burst guns and lasers - they were using cheaper guns in the 90s - and anyone selling "laser detectors" is pulling your prick, because the only time you're ever going to detect a laser and beat a ticket is if the guy's an idiot and it reflects off another car and hits your receiver. Virginia also mandates a front license plate, for many reasons I'm sure, but chief among them being that that's where state troopers are taught to aim because it's a nice flat, highly-reflective surface.

I've only ever gotten one speeding ticket in my life, in late 2000 on I-295S in Henrico County, VA. I still remember the guy's name - Trooper *Cox*, and I went to court to argue it. Fucker showed up with a stack of tickets as thick as a moderate-sized city's phone book. I got the charge reduced to "Speeding 0-9," which I'm sure is typically used as a meaner version of "your taillight's out." I never even got a ding on my insurance.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 26, 2018

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

FrozenVent posted:

Heh, I've driven 150kmh at night in back when I had a drat 1.0L peugeot 107! And some of the few people (audi/bmw drivers) on the road were overtaking me. Speed limit is 130kmh, so that's what the highways are designed for with full traffic.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
90 mph is, to be honest, also faster than the average driver should casually drive.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

ArcMage posted:

90 mph is, to be honest, also faster than the average driver should casually drive.

We're all above average :haw:

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

tactlessbastard posted:

We're all above average :haw:

And p casual honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Plinkey posted:

what's your mpg, i was cross shopping ST's this summer

when i'm cruising at the speed limit my Si gets 42-45