Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pakled posted:

Yeah the Civil ConFLiCT is, in every way imaginable, the worst rivalry ever
1. It was made up entirely by UConn without consulting UCF, UCF learned about it through twitter
2. They had only played twice before
3. The schools are 1000 miles apart, UConn isn't good enoguh to compete with UCF for divisional titles, and the two schools share nothing that would make them natural rivals
4. The name is supposed to hint at the Civil War I guess but "civil conflict" is just such a limp-dicked term for a civil war
5. When UCF won, they left the trophy on the field
6. UCF makes not accepting the trophy and not calling it a rivalry a point of pride

So what are the bad things about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Saban's offenses pre-Lane were pretty vanilla and revolved around a game manager QB and everybody else being bigger/faster/stronger than the other team

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also remember UConn having a BCS appearance this decade? That was sure something.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the civil conflict is so dumb that it goes all the way back around to great

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Sent me looking for college rivalry game names. I like the Anchor Bone Classic (Ferris State/Grand Valley State). I think it's a play on their mascots but I don't even care why it's named that.

Memphis UAB is apparently the Battle for the Bones and the trophy is a giant golden rack of ribs. MTSU/WKU is 100 miles of hate which isn't bad. Alcorn State/Jackson State=The Soul Bowl.

Baylor-SMU is The Golgotha Classic

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pakled posted:

You can't just go around using latin phrases to describe SEC football teams, I don't think the universe can take that

ACC but Georgia Tech would be something like nostrum athletarum studiis mathematica.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Saban's offenses pre-Lane were pretty vanilla and revolved around a game manager QB and everybody else being bigger/faster/stronger than the other team

Gus made Bama give a poo poo about offense, and here we are.

Gus also made it so Bama/UGA played for the natty.

I can see why Auburn fans are so knee-jerk angry about the guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This was true of all Lane's offenses pre-Saban too though. He was never some spread wizard and didn't use the QB run game at all before he got to Alabama (I'm pretty sure I've seen stories suggesting that a lot of the zone read and RPO stuff was actually from Locksley). I think it was more Saban hiring Lane and telling him he wanted to start incorporating spread elements than it was Saban giving Lane free reign over the offense.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 24, 2018

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Al golden must be aware he's not getting another shot:

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1055172592745639937

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Getting a word to rep both Florida and Connecticut for a football rivalry game in ConFLiCT is actually really impressive and clever. Too bad the game barely exists in that scope.

UCF best team in Fl

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Now that Utah is ranked it's time to make my yearly post in this section of the subforum.

Utah is ranked. Thank you and good night.

It's a shame about those early losses because they are playing really great right now.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Scarf posted:

Not really cfb related but...

Noted garbage person Chad "Swag" Kelly continues to be a garbage person.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/10/23/former-clemson-quarterback-chad-kelly-arrested-colorado/1739713002/

And the Broncos release him today. That's the hat trick! Kicked off a High School, College, and now NFL team.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/YahooSportsCFB/status/1055126733240840192

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hahahaha

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Getting a word to rep both Florida and Connecticut for a football rivalry game in ConFLiCT is actually really impressive and clever.
Civil ConFLiCT sponsored by AfFLiCTion

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Maxwells Demon posted:

I really wish Oregon didn't have to play Utah this season. That's the loss that bumps Oregon out of the rankings.

We'll see. I think it'll be a fun game.

Rick posted:

It's a shame about those early losses because they are playing really great right now.

Don't forget the curiously close game against Northern Illinois that was 7-3 going into the 4th. I'm enjoying the season but I think more than a little of their current run is the Pac-12 being on the soft side this year.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://ucfknights.exposure.co/a-familiar-flight

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

That's dope as hell.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UCF's spacesuits last year were equally dope and I love everything about these

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/billdifilippo/status/1055430418193887232

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Don't nobody care about that poo poo, WE'VE ACTUALLY GOT A GOOD THURSDAY NIGHT SLATE TONIGHT, GET HYPE

Georgia Southern-App State might be the best of the bunch. Baylor-WVU could be interesting for a couple of quarters. VT-GT is certain to be stupid one way or another.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 25, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

We'll see. I think it'll be a fun game.

Don't forget the curiously close game against Northern Illinois that was 7-3 going into the 4th. I'm enjoying the season but I think more than a little of their current run is the Pac-12 being on the soft side this year.

This is probably ultimately true, being able to do the whole "play competent offense AND competent defense in the same game" sets them apart from the rest of the south this year. Or in some cases most teams aren't even doing one of those things.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

General Dog posted:

Don't nobody care about that poo poo, WE'VE ACTUALLY GOT A GOOD THURSDAY NIGHT SLATE TONIGHT, GET HYPE

Georgia Southern-App State might be the best of the bunch. Baylor-WVU could be interesting for a couple of quarters. VT-GT is certain to be stupid one way or another.

Oh yeah, time for the :pcgaming: TECHNICAL CHALLENGE :pcgaming:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A lot of toxic poo poo happened but football at maryland (and let's be real here, every other program) totally isn't toxic! Honest!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Death (penalty) to Baylor

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
trey smith of the vols is out because he has bood clots in his lungs again

get better trey and RIP our now even shittier o-line

vols bitch

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
eat my whole rear end baylor

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
thank god basketball season starts next month

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Is there a Week 9 thread yet?

Almost simultaneously, App state tried to take GA Southern QB’s head off and a WV punt returner had his hip crushed (not really) while he was laying on the ground.

App State player ejected. I missed what happened to the Baylor player.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Is there a Week 9 thread yet?

Almost simultaneously, App state tried to take GA Southern QB’s head off and a WV punt returner had his hip crushed (not really) while he was laying on the ground.

App State player ejected. I missed what happened to the Baylor player.

nothing. no call.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I keep saying the words "nationally ranked appalachian state" to myself over and over again but it doesn't sound real

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
VT/GT winner is gonna be whoever has the ball last

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Spaced God posted:

I keep saying the words "nationally ranked appalachian state" to myself over and over again but it doesn't sound real

georgia southern puts a mollywhoppin on em, runs the table, and doesn’t end up ranked until week 12 book it

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

wvu is back, baby

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I really appreciate that App St and GA Southern waited for me to get home to start doing something

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
If App State is good for like 30 years when I'm old no one will remember that Michigan getting clowned on by them was overly embarrassing so I'm rooting for them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spaced God posted:

If UCF loses App St might wind up with a real case for the G5 NY6 slot

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
gently caress the refs at the app state game. That is all

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

checking in to say LOL gently caress baylor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

If UCF loses App St might wind up with a real case for the G5 NY6 slot

I think it depends, USF would have a stronger case

• Locked thread